言語: JP EN DE FR
2010-06-21
New Items
users online
フォーラム » Everything Else » Arcade » Aspyr Media is Remaking KOTOR
Aspyr Media is Remaking KOTOR
First Page 2 3
By RadialArcana 2021-09-10 14:45:01  
Bioware has hired Sam Maggs to re-write KOTOR, for anyone that may have forgotten who she is...

This is Sam Maggs in 2014:

YouTube Video Placeholder

Not even mad, It's hilarious how stupid this company is.
 Shiva.Eightball
サーバ: Shiva
Game: FFXI
By Shiva.Eightball 2021-09-10 17:16:52  
A remake sounds great, there was a guy making it with the U3 engine (IIRC) before he got a cease and desist letter. A rewrite doesn’t sound as good, the original story was already really good.

Why the people who own the rights to KOTOR did not just hire the guy making it with U3 and put it into production for monies is a mystery to me.
By Viciouss 2021-09-10 19:01:38  
The best thing about KOTOR being remade is EA and Bioware are not in fact, involved.
By Draylo 2021-09-10 23:08:19  
I'm so excited! I hope they do it justice, Jedi Fallen Order would be the preferable combat system I would like.

Odin.Foxmulder
サーバ: Odin
user: Chakan
By Odin.Foxmulder 2021-09-10 23:21:29  
2020s remake of popular RPG from ~20 years ago?

Yeah, these have all been ***in so many ways.

Hard pass. Shame.
 Bahamut.Inspectorgadget
サーバ: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Inspectorgadget 2021-09-10 23:31:02  

yeah no.

*** that noise.

you just know the lefty gaming sealion "journalists" are all gonna clap and hork and shower it with all sorts of unearned praise once it comes out just like they did with The Last of Us 2.
[+]
 Asura.Vyre
Forum Moderator
サーバ: Asura
user: Vyrerus
By Asura.Vyre 2021-09-11 01:29:43  
My biggest concern, beyond the possible rewrites by Sam Maggs, is the fact that it's a voice acted game.

Most of the voice actors can be hired to do the voice work, but some of them are dead or retired.

Notably John Cygan (Canderous/Mandalore) is dead since 2017.

Kristoffer Tabori (HK-47) is about 70 years old, and likely retired. He could probably still do the voice work, since he was 51 when he did it the first time, but I don't really know.

Other than that, they could reuse the old audio, but I somehow doubt that they will.
 Asura.Arico
user: Tename
By Asura.Arico 2021-09-11 02:07:39  
The story in the new ratchet and crank she did was pretty good.
[+]
By RadialArcana 2021-09-11 04:41:19  
Thing to keep in mind with this is that this is a remake and not a remaster, they can change everything.

They can change the story, they can change the characters, they can change the combat system.
By Draylo 2021-09-11 05:04:26  
You dont think they should change the combat system?
 Asura.Vyre
Forum Moderator
By Asura.Vyre 2021-09-11 05:05:07  
Honestly, I've felt like the term remake has been abused in recent years, thanks to shitty level remasters causing a disjunction.

To me, a remake should be the same game with updated graphics, gameplay additions, and maybe storyline additions IF they do not cause major retcons or leave the original story in shambles. The point is to enhance the old experience in every conceivable way without changing its core. I know that makes it boring for developers, but with what they generally do nowadays, they should be labeling these reboots not remakes.

To me, the definition of remake has been violated when they want to and do change everything, just keeping names and faces.

We will have to wait and see, but I can imagine some pretty bad possibilities if they're given freedom to just change whatever they want.

I can see them changing Canderous's plot portion to being held by a woman. No biggie, I suppose, as long as she's not you know... just female Canderous -1. I can see them changing HK-47 to a woman baby~ that instead of hating organics, just hates men. Probably delete Zaalbar, and just have Mission be hyper competent, probably make her older too, ignoring Twi'lek physiology.

Of course, none of that will probably happen, it's just what I can imagine easily.

They could do even worse things than that though. Like imagine them trying to one up the twist or twist the twist, because they feel like it needs to be fresh or something. SMH. I should probably just stop thinking about it till it comes out.
By Vaerix 2021-09-11 05:53:36  
Odin.Foxmulder said: »
2020s remake of popular RPG from ~20 years ago?

Yeah, these have all been ***in so many ways.

Hard pass. Shame.

Still waiting for an updated Chrono trigger.

Maybe someday.
 Valefor.Furyspawn
サーバ: Valefor
user: Furyspawn
By Valefor.Furyspawn 2021-09-11 08:17:09  
Asura.Vyre said: »
They could do even worse things than that though. Like imagine them trying to one up the twist or twist the twist, because they feel like it needs to be fresh or something. SMH.

Ah, I see you've watched the recent Star Wars trilogy.
[+]
 Odin.Foxmulder
By Odin.Foxmulder 2021-09-11 08:18:31  
Vaerix said: »
Still waiting for an updated Chrono trigger.

Maybe someday.

With today's writers? You really want that?

More self-insert fan fiction from deranged people?
[+]
 Pandemonium.Zeto
サーバ: Pandemonium
By Pandemonium.Zeto 2021-09-11 08:21:10  
To me, a remake should be the same game with updated graphics, gameplay additions, and maybe storyline additions IF they do not cause major retcons or leave the original story in shambles. The point is to enhance the old experience in every conceivable way without changing its core. I know that makes it boring for developers, but with what they generally do nowadays, they should be labeling these reboots not remakes.

My big qualm on remakes is they seem to be happy on the whole "LET'S JUST CHANGE THE GAME PLAY COMPLETELY!" Like FF7R is at the point where characters are one of the few things in common with FF7.

Right now, for most games, I hear remake and I'm not even sure if I'll like it despite liking the original. At least with remasters, I can be confident things will basically be the same minus stuff like bug fixes. Hell FF4PR kept the fact you can steal infinitely in the SNES versions despite the fact most(or all) of the FF4 remakes/ports removed it.

At this point, one of the only series I trust to remake stuff is Pokemon. I can trust the DP remakes won't have like PMD gameplay or be some action game or something stupid. It's gonna be the same turn based 4 moves etc. etc. battle system. There will be a few small tweaks to the main story at most, maybe some of the puzzles redone, some general updates due to overall changes in Pokemon games like no HMs, and then a post game extra story. And most of the story tweaks will be to accommodate said extra story.
[+]
 Odin.Foxmulder
By Odin.Foxmulder 2021-09-11 08:22:21  
They still tinker with remasters, Zero. Rewriting characters, removing game modes, and more.
 Asura.Tsm
user: rangler33
By Asura.Tsm 2021-09-11 08:40:05  
Asura.Arico said: »
The story in the new ratchet and crank she did was pretty good.
She's on the record saying she doesn't like Kotor tho. Not a good sign for the people who liked it
By Viciouss 2021-09-11 09:12:26  
My biggest concern, beyond the possible rewrites by Sam Maggs, is the fact that it's a voice acted game.

Most of the voice actors can be hired to do the voice work, but some of them are dead or retired.

Kristoffer Tabori (HK-47) is about 70 years old, and likely retired. He could probably still do the voice work, since he was 51 when he did it the first time, but I don't really know.

Other than that, they could reuse the old audio, but I somehow doubt that they will.

Seems like a silly concern, LucasFilm has a treasure trove of voice actors from Clone Wars they can bring in, on top of some guy named Mark Hamill. He is pretty good at his job.
 Asura.Vyre
Forum Moderator
By Asura.Vyre 2021-09-11 09:57:31  
Viciouss said: »

Seems like a silly concern, LucasFilm has a treasure trove of voice actors from Clone Wars they can bring in, on top of some guy named Mark Hamill. He is pretty good at his job.

The original voice actors are part of the characters, since the voices they gave the characters are part of the characters. I don't doubt they could get good VAs. I just doubt they'll stay faithful to the original character voices(if they get different VAs), which is completely not silly.
 Asura.Vyre
Forum Moderator
By Asura.Vyre 2021-09-11 09:58:31  
Valefor.Furyspawn said: »
They could do even worse things than that though. Like imagine them trying to one up the twist or twist the twist, because they feel like it needs to be fresh or something. SMH.

I will admit to seeing the first two in theaters, and being heavily disappointed by the second, while mildly disappointed but hopeful from the first. After the second, though, considered everything attached to them to be a waste of time and money.
[+]
 Valefor.Furyspawn
By Valefor.Furyspawn 2021-09-11 10:22:56  
Valefor.Furyspawn said: »

I will admit to seeing the first two in theaters, and being heavily disappointed by the second, while mildly disappointed but hopeful from the first. After the second, though, considered everything attached to them to be a waste of time and money.

The 2nd and 3rd movie ended up frequently retconning, contradicting, devaluing, or abandoning storylines, plot points, and characters from the previous movie. I'm not sure how they expected to arrive at a cohesive trilogy without a concrete plan and story, especially considering the movies would have different directors.

The final product was so bad that Disney released additional media, e.g. books, to fill in the gaps.

Here's hoping that the KotOR remake fares better as I and II were some of the most impactful games for a younger me who was both a gamer and a Star Wars nerd.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Jessikah
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Jessie
By Ragnarok.Jessikah 2021-09-11 10:23:48  
I had a similar reaction. Though I think if the third one just kept on the course of the second one it would have been OK. I still haven't seen Skywalker after what I've heard about it and I've basically given up on the franchise as a whole.

There are too many cool sci-fi universes to immerse myself in to keep hoping that Star Wars might go in a direction I'd want, after 41 years since the last good movie (IMO).
By Viciouss 2021-09-11 10:29:06  
Ragnarok.Jessikah said: »
I had a similar reaction. Though I think if the third one just kept on the course of the second one it would have been OK. I still haven't seen Skywalker after what I've heard about it and I've basically given up on the franchise as a whole.

There are too many cool sci-fi universes to immerse myself in to keep hoping that Star Wars might go in a direction I'd want, after 41 years since the last good movie (IMO).

Despite the fact that the sequel trilogy were horrible failures, Rogue One was a great movie, and regarded my many as no worse than the third best movie, and I personally look at it as the 2nd best. Despite the fact they had to do a lot of reshoots at the end, it still holds up well. They are giving it a prequel tv show even.
 Asura.Vyre
Forum Moderator
By Asura.Vyre 2021-09-11 10:32:13  
Ragnarok.Jessikah said: »

The Mandalorian was pretty dang good. Not a movie though, womp womp. T_T
 Valefor.Furyspawn
By Valefor.Furyspawn 2021-09-11 10:37:45  
I also enjoyed Rogue One and the Mandalorian. Sometimes I'll just listen to the theme on loop, haha.

Shiva.Eightball
サーバ: Shiva
By Shiva.Eightball 2021-09-11 11:13:02  
I will usually rewatch the Luke scene with “the force” theme on YouTube, gives me goosebumps every time.
 Asura.Iamaman
user: iamaman
By Asura.Iamaman 2021-09-11 11:18:02  
The game has to be updated to match current expectations, the old combat system in particular can be a bit clunky especially by modern standards. The closest modern equivalent I could see them taking is something similar to FFVII:R. It would maintain the party aspects but be more dynamic. I doubt Fallen Order would translate well unless they made it focus on combat from a single character perspective, which would alter it a lot more.

As for the writing, it is a bit concerning that they chose someone that doesn't seem really invested in the game, but who knows. They have the character of Bastilla to be the strong female lead, so hopefully that keeps them from derailing the rest of the story. I don't see her being chosen as particularly concerning or good, not anymore than any other modern writer IMO.

I'd expect more linear progression for the characters involved, possibly fewer playable characters, less strategic combat, and fewer build options. The story could go anywhere. I feel it is less likely they'll keep parity with the old story and, again, "remake" in the fashion of FFVII:R where you have the OG characters but their destiny is "remade". Given the large variation in force powers between the films and the EU, Revan's less than great canon conclusion, importance of destiny throughout the series, and the way some characters are 'remade', I think it gives them a lot of latitude to alter the OG story. Not what I would want out of it, but I feel like recent history of 'remade' games has shown it to be less likely to be 1:1 or even close outside of a few major points.

I'm not too concerned about it becoming some SJW soapbox like some are, although the status of characters like HK47 are somewhat up in the air.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Jessikah
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Jessie
By Ragnarok.Jessikah 2021-09-11 13:16:57  
Viciouss said: »
Despite the fact that the sequel trilogy were horrible failures, Rogue One was a great movie, and regarded my many as no worse than the third best movie, and I personally look at it as the 2nd best. Despite the fact they had to do a lot of reshoots at the end, it still holds up well. They are giving it a prequel tv show even.
That's fair. Rogue One was pretty good.

The Mandalorian was pretty dang good. Not a movie though, womp womp. T_T
That's actually why I specified "movies", because I've heard fantastic things about Clone Wars and the Mandalorian, plus one or two of the more recent games.

So many good shows and stuff nowadays to watch. I want to see them all, yet I also want to go back and watch old favourites like Futurama from start to finish for the upteenth time. Plus I'm sitting here enjoying XI again until I find the motivation to go back to working on my game, and then that occupies my time lol
 Leviathan.Andret
サーバ: Leviathan
user: Andret
By Leviathan.Andret 2021-09-11 14:38:28  
If they make this an action game then I would be very very disappointed. Bioware lost it when they sold their souls to the American Devils. Dragon Age Origins was their last CRPG. They couldn't make any else without the button smashing afterwards.
By Viciouss 2021-09-11 17:17:54  
Leviathan.Andret said: »
If they make this an action game then I would be very very disappointed. Bioware lost it when they sold their souls to the American Devils. Dragon Age Origins was their last CRPG. They couldn't make any else without the button smashing afterwards.

Once again, Bioware is not making this game. This thread title sucks.
First Page 2 3