A Fun Guessing Game About The New Odyssey Armor.

言語: JP EN DE FR
2010-06-21
New Items
users online
フォーラム » FFXI » General » A fun guessing game about the new Odyssey armor.
A fun guessing game about the new Odyssey armor.
 Sylph.Snk
サーバ: Sylph
Game: FFXI
user: SNK
By Sylph.Snk 2021-05-09 00:43:54  
Me and a friend were that bored so we were looking at the new armor sets & trying to figure out where exactly the devs were copy/pasting from.

Some pieces of armor were obviously easy to figure out like the Gleti's set pieces.

Head = Shark Mask
Body = Plastron
Hands = No idea but a few guesses.
Legs = Crimson/Carmine Legs
Feet = Shark Feet

In the recent smaller updates I've seen more and more copy/pasting from the dats instead of making new full sets of gear. Has anyone figured out what each new piece of armor was originally taken from?

Still trying to figure out 3/5ths of the Nyame set is outside of the helm and body even tho I'm 99% sure the legs are a reskin of these...

Edit: Friend figured out the Gleti hands just now!

[+]
By Aoibhe 2021-05-09 02:40:07  
Sylph.Snk said: »
In the recent smaller updates I've seen more and more copy/pasting from the dats instead of making new full sets of gear. Has anyone figured out what each new piece of armor was originally taken from?

This is happening because they have no modellers on the team anymore. The team merging with the XIV team allowed them some access to previous FFXI team members, as per the Famitsu interview from 2019. The only reason we're getting recolours/retextures now is because previous FFXI staff take requests on the side. I guess when they get a bit of downtime, or maybe even for their own enjoyment?
[+]
By Draylo 2021-05-09 02:43:02  
They should have hired this guy, he always made the best stuff:

YouTube Video Placeholder
[+]
By Davorin 2021-05-09 03:32:35  
For Ikenga's, outside of the Nahtirah head and legs, the body, hands, and feet look most like Pahluwan gear reskins to me.
 Sylph.Snk
By Sylph.Snk 2021-05-09 07:58:46  
Davorin said: »
For Ikenga's, outside of the Nahtirah head and legs, the body, hands, and feet look most like Pahluwan gear reskins to me.

The body I had guessed was a reskinned THF Emperyan Body.
By FaeQueenCory 2021-05-09 08:33:39  
The body I had guessed was a reskinned THF Emperyan Body.
Even before the modeling dev team was essentially disbanded, there's a butt-tonne of armors that are different textures to other, seemingly entirely different armors. You'll really notice this type of thing if you're a spellcaster cause many of the spell visual effects show the mesh of the armor that the texture defines as clear.

So while I'd need to go double check the THF empy body, it's not out of the realm of possibility that other things have used that same mesh with a different texture.
(Though I am skeptical of empyrean things, as those were basically all new meshes iirc.)
 Odin.Creaucent
サーバ: Odin
user: Creaucent
By Odin.Creaucent 2021-05-09 08:45:14  
Gleti's set is the Plastron, Black Gadlings and Black Cuisses and also shares models with the Ratri SU3 set.

Ikanga's set is the Pahluwan body, hands and feet and shares a model with the THF AF and relic sets.

Sakpata's set is the Barone body, legs and feet also shares models with the Arke SU3 set.

Agwa's set is the Marduk's body, hands and legs also shares models with the Inyanga set.

Bunzi's set is the blessed body, legs and feet and also shares models with the Pinga SU3 set.

Mpaca's set is the Shura body, hands and feet and shares models with a lot of low-mid level SAM stuff as well as the Rao SU3 set.

Nyame set from what i can tell is the Mikinaak legs and feet and the Kaiser/Souveran hands. edit: looking more i think its the Kaiser/Souveran feet too which tells me that the legs are probably from the same sets too.
By RadialArcana 2021-05-09 10:38:39  
Quote:
Even before the modeling dev team was essentially disbanded

I don't think there ever were any new asset developers on the ffxi dev team to begin with cause it would be wasteful to have those kinds of people on the payroll, I can't think of any new assets being made outside of expansions for ffxi. They always just made content from the assets that were made for each expansion pack previously. The developers assigned to games essentially just make stuff from the lego bricks the expansion teams make for them previously.

Expansion packs are made by separate, in-house teams that still exist. The expansions were not even made by one team, they alternated I remember reading.

Also it's entirely possible we get another expansion for the 20th anniversary, they have already shown they can do so with Rhapsodies where they made new everything just fine. The only problem with no fee expansions is they tend to have to scrimp money from normal update costs to pay for it.
 Sylph.Cossack
user: sandman16
By Sylph.Cossack 2021-05-09 10:48:02  
RadialArcana said: »
The only problem with no fee expansions is they tend to have to scrimp money from normal update costs to pay for it.
Scrimp away. Give me new ***to clog my inventory!!
 Lakshmi.Buukki
サーバ: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2021-05-09 11:03:21  
The recolored gear is pretty neat, considering what they are no longer able to do. Same with the monster models from Gaol. if they can't give new gear models, they should allow a certain selection of gear to be dyed to a set of colors temporarily. Would allow for some neat custom outfits and character personalization.
 Asura.Geriond
サーバ: Asura
user: Gerion
By Asura.Geriond 2021-05-09 11:07:28  
RadialArcana said: »
I don't think there ever were any new asset developers on the ffxi dev team to begin with cause it would be wasteful to have those kinds of people on the payroll, I can't think of any new assets being made outside of expansions for ffxi. They always just made content from the assets that were made for each expansion pack previously. The developers assigned to games essentially just make stuff from the lego bricks the expansion teams make for them previously.
While most new assets are definitely made for the expansions, there were on occasion new assets created for stuff between expansions, like the Naraka, Mantid, Gallu, Belladonna, Pteraketos, Harpeia, and Botulus families for Voidwatch, the Zilant family for Voidwalker, the Provenance Watcher and Gyve families for Provenance, and the Yztarg and Giant Gnat families for Meebles. I'm sure there's the occasional weapon or armor introduced between expansions that are more than just modification of previous assets, too.
 Sylph.Snk
By Sylph.Snk 2021-05-10 13:24:08  
One NM I've noticed they've never reskinned or put in any other content is Provodence Watcher.

Can't think of any other Wyrm that looks close to that one.
 Sylph.Snk
By Sylph.Snk 2021-05-11 09:07:14  
Odin.Creaucent said: »
Gleti's set is the Plastron, Black Gadlings and Black Cuisses and also shares models with the Ratri SU3 set.

Might want to take a closer look. Those legs are not the ratri. They're definitely Carmine Legs. And the hands are pretty much Pavor Gauntlets. It's close but look at the crotch on Carmine and Gleti. They're a full match.
 Fenrir.Richybear
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Richybear
By Fenrir.Richybear 2021-05-11 09:55:32  
look at the crotch on Carmine

Incoming #metoo
 Fenrir.Melphina
サーバ: Fenrir
user: melphina
By Fenrir.Melphina 2021-05-11 10:47:05  
Ikegna's vest is definitely a reskin of the thief JSE.

[+]
By Pantafernando 2021-05-11 12:03:18  
Draylo said: »
They should have hired this guy, he always made the best stuff:

YouTube Video Placeholder

And his weapons have the bonus of respecting gravity laws
[+]
 Sylph.Snk
By Sylph.Snk 2021-05-12 09:26:16  
Fenrir.Richybear said: »
look at the crotch on Carmine

Incoming #metoo
I realized the pandora's box I opened right after I hit post.

@Melphina: Any idea what the feet and hands are? The feet kinda remind me of Golliard Clogs.

I'm pretty sure the hands are these...