Diablo 2 Remake Alpha

言語: JP EN DE FR
2010-06-21
New Items
users online
フォーラム » FFXI » General » Diablo 2 Remake alpha
Diablo 2 Remake alpha
By Thunderjet 2021-04-08 12:32:25  
Diablo 2 remaster alpha is all over twitch should start really soon, wonder if they will leave the sick, quirky and sexual jokes in
By Mattelot 2021-04-08 13:21:41  
They can do whatever, I just wanna play my Werebear again.
[+]
By RadialArcana 2021-04-08 13:48:49  
Blizzard 2021, gl. They are absolutely not the company they were even 5-6 years ago.
[+]
By Thunderjet 2021-04-08 13:56:24  
RadialArcana said: »
Blizzard 2021, gl. They are absolutely not the company they were even 5-6 years ago.
it actually looks exactly the same!
 Ragnarok.Jessikah
サーバ: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
user: Jessie
By Ragnarok.Jessikah 2021-04-08 14:05:45  
Thunderjet said: »
it actually looks exactly the same!
I remember reading how the game uses the virtually the exact same code, to a point where you can even import save files from the original game. They updated nothing but the visuals, so in theory even 2021 BlizzActivision couldn't screw it up.

Though I suppose them charging $60 CAD for what amounts to a few .dat mods does sound about right.
[+]
By fillerbunny9 2021-04-08 14:06:30  
well, one would hope they would have learned from their Reforged blunder, but I will wait til after the final release is in the wild before making that judgement.
[+]
By Thunderjet 2021-04-08 14:14:51  
Ragnarok.Jessikah said: »
Though I suppose them charging $60 CAD for what amounts to a few .dat mods does sound about right.
if that's the case why cant Square do something like that to this or would that just cost alot?
 Ragnarok.Jessikah
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Jessie
By Ragnarok.Jessikah 2021-04-08 14:26:15  
if that's the case why cant Square do something like that to this or would that just cost alot?
Honestly I don't think FFXI's visuals are a key weak point. It's obviously a '00s-era game, yet has enough style to keep things distinct and (at least subjectively) pleasing to look at. Modders also run into the issue of the game's spaghetti code bogging things down because it just simply wasn't designed to produce high-resolution images.

Diablo II is also sprite-based, which makes it way easier to update the overall aesthetic in addition to its resolution. FFXI is a 3D game, which puts a big pin in what you can do. Simple texture updates don't make the characters' oversized hands smaller or give more polygons to the faces, so it just looks awkward. No offense intended to the folks who work extremely hard on .dat modding.
 Asura.Aquatiq
サーバ: Asura
user: Aquatiq
By Asura.Aquatiq 2021-04-08 15:30:13  
Diablo II is also sprite-based, which makes it way easier to update the overall aesthetic in addition to its resolution.
Absolutely awful timing of them with the Coca-cola boycott gaining steam.
[+]
By Thunderjet 2021-04-09 06:04:06  
Honestly I don't think FFXI's visuals are a key weak point. It's obviously a '00s-era game, yet has enough style to keep things distinct and (at least subjectively) pleasing to look at. Modders also run into the issue of the game's spaghetti code bogging things down because it just simply wasn't designed to produce high-resolution images.

Diablo II is also sprite-based, which makes it way easier to update the overall aesthetic in addition to its resolution. FFXI is a 3D game, which puts a big pin in what you can do. Simple texture updates don't make the characters' oversized hands smaller or give more polygons to the faces, so it just looks awkward. No offense intended to the folks who work extremely hard on .dat modding.

YouTube Video Placeholder

its very hard it seems
By SimonSes 2021-04-09 06:14:54  

Its not .dat replacement, they created whole new graphic engine that works as overlay for classic diablo 2 working underneath it. New engine basically copying in real time what is happening in old engine. That's why you can also easily switch it off and have old graphic too.
[+]
By Oragel 2021-04-09 08:32:45  
I heard the alpha won’t include revamped cutscenes. It makes me leery that they will get it right after the WC3 fiasco. They sold that one with images of upscale ca, then after getting preorders didn’t do a thing to them.
[+]
By Matic 2021-04-09 08:43:52  
just posting to tell you that Oragel is an excellent forum name, and your avatar somehow fits completely
By RadialArcana 2021-04-12 17:50:11  
By Shichishito 2021-04-13 04:16:23  
Mattelot said: »
[+]
By RadialArcana 2021-04-13 04:42:44  
You can play it now, unless you're a graphics W***!
By Mattelot 2021-04-13 05:44:26  
Shichishito said: »

That's pretty sweet looking. Kinda wish the bear wouldn't run on it's side. The original seemed more beefcaked.

Either way, looking forward to messing with it.
By RadialArcana 2021-04-13 06:28:07  
I've never even played any Diablo, I may give it a look when it's launched.
 Bahamut.Belkin
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Belkin
By Bahamut.Belkin 2021-04-13 06:33:49  

That's pretty sweet looking. Kinda wish the bear wouldn't run on it's side. The original seemed more beefcaked.

Either way, looking forward to messing with it.

To be frank, I always thought the original Werebear looked awfully top heavy and ran with a stick up his ***. I am very thankful for the change in run animation. It looks absolutely fantastic.
By Mattelot 2021-04-13 07:01:47  
Bahamut.Belkin said: »
To be frank, I always thought the original Werebear looked awfully top heavy and ran with a stick up his ***. I am very thankful for the change in run animation. It looks absolutely fantastic.

I can see how his original didn't seem "natural" and this surely does seem that way. I'm sure I'll get used to it.

RadialArcana said: »
I've never even played any Diablo, I may give it a look when it's launched.

I love Diablo. Lots of customization to gear sets and builds while at the same time, one of the least toxic gaming communities. People rarely condescend others for lack of gear and you rarely ever get those people who believe the game would cease to function if they didn't log in like WoW, this game or FFXIV.

For console lovers, the console ports were extremely well done. I'll get to test 3 on PS5 this weekend.
By RadialArcana 2021-04-13 08:11:55  
How does it work with other players? Do you join rooms with 2-3 others? Can you just play solo if you want.
By Mattelot 2021-04-13 08:17:36  
You can play 100% solo if you want online or offline.

If you go online (assuming it works like the original), you're put into a chatroom with several others (you can switch rooms) or create/join already existing games.
[+]
 Bahamut.Belkin
By Bahamut.Belkin 2021-04-13 08:19:02  
You can join with up to 7 others. Each player in the session increases enemy HP for the ENTIRE session to make sure that everybody has to pull their weight. To compensate, defeated enemies give more EXP.

While in the session, you can go do whatever you want in any of the acts. Most people create games with a common task in mind though. Usually people join boss runs with maximum players for leveling. Also, anybody can PvP anywhere in one of these sessions. You can just hostile at the drop of a hat and throw down, but this is generally considered a *** move and not many people do it, especially in a max players game. If one person hostiles for no reason, it becomes 1 v 7.

Adversely, you can create private games to solo bosses while you hunt for gear. Loot is shared in multiplayer sessions, so it's literally "who can pick up the drop first".
[+]
By Mattelot 2021-04-13 08:23:48  
Bahamut.Belkin said: »
Loot is shared in multiplayer sessions, so it's literally "who can pick up the drop first".

This is something Diablo 3 changed and got right. Shared loot sucked balls, especially towards the end of the game's relevant life when people were using "grab bot" for everything. Boss dies, you'd see loot drop but it would instantly disappear. Pindlebot was also popular at that time.
By RadialArcana 2021-04-13 08:26:20  
This sounds pretty awesome actually, very similar to how Phantasy Star Online used to play.
 Bahamut.Belkin
By Bahamut.Belkin 2021-04-13 08:33:33  

This is something Diablo 3 changed and got right. Shared loot sucked balls, especially towards the end of the game's relevant life when people were using "grab bot" for everything. Boss dies, you'd see loot drop but it would instantly disappear. Pindlebot was also popular at that time.

I can't say I really had a problem with it, oddly enough. I can't even think of a reason to justify it, but I kinda liked it?

I know the two aren't mutually exclusive, but I think what put me off about Diablo 3 was it was personal loot with the stipulation that you couldn't trade. A huge part of the draw for me was that the economy was a game of it's own in Diablo 2. Acquiring wealth was a worthwhile endeavor.

Just add personal loot WITH trading and it would be better, no?
By Mattelot 2021-04-13 08:41:23  
Oh, I agree. With Diablo 4 apparently being only online (for now... they said the same about 3), I wonder if this will change.