users online
フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Paladin » Shield Block Rate vs. Shield Skill
Shield Block Rate vs. Shield Skill
 Valefor.Worlace
サーバ: Valefor
Game: FFXI
user: Worlace
By Valefor.Worlace 2021-02-08 16:02:41  
I am curious if anyone in the community (Martel?) has tested the relative benefits of Shield Skill gear vs. Shield Block Rate.

Aegis as we all know has a terrible relative block rate to Ochain. Considering that the block rate is determined by your shield skill relative to the enemy's attack rate, adding Shield Block Rate gear should have a less effect than Shield Skill gear because the percentage boost may be relatively lower?

Perhaps this underlines the current issue with Paladin and shields. While most weapons have received "XXX Skill +" in the iLevel era, shields have never been given a boost, which puts them at a disadvantage for blocking. I see on the official forums it was requested back in 2016 and no dice since then.
By Nariont 2021-02-08 16:34:25  
theres a calc for rough estimates on block rate on bgwiki shield page, been a looot of testing on it most recent being this
https://www.ffxiah.com/forum/topic/46016/first-and-final-line-of-defense-v20/96/#3538417

which goes over the expected block rates of every common shield from 139 to 150 aswell as reprisal's boost to them, short of it is yes aegis needs +shield skill or some kind of size change, ochain is "fine" because its base block rate is so obscenely high the skill gap can be overcome, priwens probably the current best shield with skill on it, primarily due to its reprisal boost.
 Ragnarok.Lowen
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Rorrick
By Ragnarok.Lowen 2021-02-08 16:53:27  
The real reason Aegis will always be *** is that your block rate may have a floor, but the skill differential does not, meaning that you need to stack shield skill and block rate+ just to get back to the block rate floor, never mind getting above the floor. It had a pretty ***block rate even at 99 before item levels were introduced.
[+]
 Asura.Wotasu
サーバ: Asura
user: Wotasu
By Asura.Wotasu 2021-02-08 17:02:15  
That question was innocently asked a week ago or so to Martel, and ended with
the current Shield block formula getting discarded and is currently being reworked by Martel and Thefoxdanger.
[+]
VIP
By Lili 2021-02-08 17:12:33  
Asura.Wotasu said: »
That question was asked a week ago or so to Martel, and ended with
the current Shield block formula getting discarded and is currently being reworked by Martel and Thefoxdanger.

You forgot an assortment of "the current formula is a monstrosity" and "ugh >_>" and also "ew <_<" etc
[+]
By Rips 2021-02-08 18:04:29  
Thefoxdanger has a lab where you can view this info in WTFinvanadiel discord. At least I think it's in the lab. It's also credited to Martel as well, I believe. It's really neat and well done from what I've seen.

Spicy and fox also have their youtube channel WTF in Vanadiel that I follow. It's pretty entertaining and after years of playing I'm still learning from it. Just a few weeks ago our resident Draylo was in there well.
[+]
 Valefor.Worlace
サーバ: Valefor
user: Worlace
By Valefor.Worlace 2021-02-08 18:54:17  
Nariont said: »
theres a calc for rough estimates on block rate on bgwiki shield page, been a looot of testing on it most recent being this
https://www.ffxiah.com/forum/topic/46016/first-and-final-line-of-defense-v20/96/#3538417

which goes over the expected block rates of every common shield from 139 to 150 aswell as reprisal's boost to them, short of it is yes aegis needs +shield skill or some kind of size change, ochain is "fine" because its base block rate is so obscenely high the skill gap can be overcome, priwens probably the current best shield with skill on it, primarily due to its reprisal boost.

Thanks. I saw the data and it matches what I assumed. Easy way for this to be fixed, but official forums claim that by boosting +shield skill on the REMA shields it would boost magic evasion too much. Stacking shield skill gear helps but there's no way it can get high enough to make a meaningful difference against the 139+ ilevel mobs.
By Nariont 2021-02-08 19:02:30  
Yeah, that along with as statd above with the block floor not being set at 5 or even 0 but being able to go into negatives really compounds the issue on making aegis anywhere close to decent as far as blocking even trash mobs, thankfully ochain can survive and priwens decent enough, still would be nice to not have to tank your phys DT via blocking in exchange for the MDTII of aegis but hey "balance"
 Sylph.Brahmsz
サーバ: Sylph
user: Khronos
By Sylph.Brahmsz 2021-02-09 06:51:42  
I know it's not exactly the most reasonable idea, bur I posted a +Blockrate-focused idle-tanking build on the Community thread (requires Dark Matter augments) with a potential +36~39% block rate.

Haven't had time to test it with Aegis, but it has definitely made a noticeable difference on Srivatsa on higher end (Wave 3) content.
 Asura.Wotasu
サーバ: Asura
user: Wotasu
By Asura.Wotasu 2021-02-09 08:45:33  
Yeah, but Srivatsa comes with a base +129 shield skill which Aegis sadly lacks. And thats a lot to catch up too. And atm the Math is saying the item base skill is important when it comes to reprisal bonus effect for remas.
 Ragnarok.Lowen
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Rorrick
By Ragnarok.Lowen 2021-02-09 09:42:57  
I personally don't see the use in a blockrate+ set like the one posted in the community guide. You're giving up a lot of +enmity (and a fair amount of HP and Def) in your idle set just to make a shield that isn't Ochain work worse than Ochain. I push 100% block rate in wave 3 in a pretty standard idle set.
 Sylph.Brahmsz
サーバ: Sylph
user: Khronos
By Sylph.Brahmsz 2021-02-09 10:35:36  
Ragnarok.Lowen said: »
I personally don't see the use in a blockrate+ set like the one posted in the community guide. You're giving up a lot of +enmity (and a fair amount of HP and Def) in your idle set just to make a shield that isn't Ochain work worse than Ochain.

Different strokes for different folx.

I'm bored, so what else is there to do but come up with alternate builds for fun and to push my characters' options and capabilities.