Holy Hell This Place Is Still Active?

言語: JP EN DE FR
2010-06-21
New Items
users online
フォーラム » FFXI » General » Holy hell this place is still active?
Holy hell this place is still active?
 Asura.Topace
サーバ: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Topace
By Asura.Topace 2021-02-09 17:47:19  
RadialArcana said: »
Old FFXI had the philosophy that community was king, above the playing experience, above respect for a players time, above everything else. You were not a player, you were just a cog in the community. That simply would not fly in 2021.

You could not level past level 12 unless other people (and key jobs) were available, you could not do anything at all but sit in town and wait for an invite (cause nobody would offer to invite you if you were not in town and ready to grab a teleport to camp asap).

You could not do any kind of content alone (or even with one friend most of the time), outside of farming chips or crafting. It wasn't that you just needed a few friends, you needed a lot of random people or organized groups.

You had to have a literal timetable for content, limbus at 6pm (twice a week), Dynamis at 8 (twice a week), Camping kings and WoTG HNM 6-8 (FU sandworm/DI) hours a day, Einherjar at some ungodly hour. You didn't play the game when you were bored, you organized your life around the game.

You had to literally join a shell to do certain kinds of content, if you could not join one you could not do that content *at all*. There was almost no pickup mentality back in the day, because drop rates were so awful nobody trusted anyone. Talking of that, you had to keep doing content with your shell after you got all your stuff because "they helped you get yours so you gotta help them for the next 2 years". I literally did Limbus twice a week for over a year when I had nothing but Acoins to get form it.

Making gil was harder than making money irl. The sheer amount of work and time I had to put in to get my relic back in the day was obscene, I had to fund my Dynamis LS runs and lot all coins.

80-90% of your playtime was waiting or traveling.

Drop rates were in the tiny fraction of a % level, getting a drop could easily take literal years.

Every form of content had long lockouts.

The time investment was so huge, you could not play if got a job or uni. I knew people that loved FFXI that had to quit because they got a job, all they could do was login to talk for a few hours a night. Telling your friend on FFXI that you were about to get a job was like telling them you were about to die.

Aside from everything else the vast majority of people that play this game today would be forced to quit overnight if it went back how it was. Including some of the people that say they miss how it was.

It's ok to say you miss the old community feeling but the only reason that was there is because the game was insanely punishing, you could not have the positives without the negatives. Most people will not accept a game punishing them in 2021 when they have other options.
Perfectly said.

The only thing I miss about the old days is how much "harder" the NM's felt(Probably because gear back then was....). All the NM's now are just gimmicky(and not in a good way) which makes them Annoying instead of hard. I'd Rather more Kirin's and WoC and less fkin Zerde type nm's.
 Odin.Doodlebug
サーバ: Odin
user: Doodlebug
By Odin.Doodlebug 2021-02-14 10:39:59  
Well this has been incredibly informative :o. I may have to attempt to pick it back up again. Lord knows if I can even remember information to log back in. Do they still use that little passcode thing? I wanna say mine died many years ago LOL
 Odin.Doodlebug
By Odin.Doodlebug 2021-02-14 10:40:23  
Ragnarok.Hevans said: »
ol doodley doo

:o Hi
 Asura.Tawhoya
user: Tawhoya
By Asura.Tawhoya 2021-02-14 23:30:24  
Asura.Topace said: »
RadialArcana said: »
Perfectly said.

The only thing I miss about the old days is how much "harder" the NM's felt(Probably because gear back then was....). All the NM's now are just gimmicky(and not in a good way) which makes them Annoying instead of hard. I'd Rather more Kirin's and WoC and less fkin Zerde type nm's.

I really miss time-spawn nms having value. I loved that there were tons of different level nms that you could hunt that were worth hunting. Nearly every level of player could hunt for days for gear to sell or wear and it was viable...mostly because it took so long to level that your jobs would get use out of it. These days it only applies to end game. It was an inevitability in order to survive for so long, but it's only nostalgia now.
 Odin.Doodlebug
By Odin.Doodlebug 2021-02-21 07:36:58  
Welp, I loaded up and came back :D Excited to see some old friends and finish up these last missions/quests. Also, Trusts are amazing!
[+]
By Endlesscc 2021-02-21 13:38:44  
I quit in 2007 or and then been back for 3 times since then. My last return i even got myself Almace 119. I also play FFXIV in between new expansions. One thing that FFXIV does not even come close to FFXI is gears. FFXIV gear got obsolete with the exception of look, while FFXI if you get your Relic 15 years ago it is still a decent weapon to use (ofcourse it might not be BiS) as of 2021.

I don't believe i have play any game that keep me hook or have close friends like FFXI, I think i will just keep coming back until the server finally shut down.
[+]
 Asura.Aeonova
user: aeonova
By Asura.Aeonova 2021-02-21 14:58:15  
 Leviathan.Draugo
サーバ: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Draugo 2021-02-21 16:31:14  
Endlesscc said: »
I quit in 2007 or and then been back for 3 times since then. My last return i even got myself Almace 119. I also play FFXIV in between new expansions. One thing that FFXIV does not even come close to FFXI is gears. FFXIV gear got obsolete with the exception of look, while FFXI if you get your Relic 15 years ago it is still a decent weapon to use (ofcourse it might not be BiS) as of 2021.

I don't believe i have play any game that keep me hook or have close friends like FFXI, I think i will just keep coming back until the server finally shut down.
Next time do stay, XI > XIV
By Mattelot 2021-02-22 09:53:34  
Endlesscc said: »

Yeah, I mentioned this not long ago. I can get gear in this game and 2 years later, it's still relevant and/or BIS. In FFXIV or WoW, your gear is all obsolete in 6 months or less.

But hey, some people LOVE that gear hamster wheel. Some of them prefer the "this piece of armor is all you wear no matter what you're doing/casting." Most of us left here still prefer the more work involved in getting gear and needing various pieces for whatever you may be doing.

And the other thing I maintain is the feeling of accomplishment. I've played a dozen various MMOs and FFXI gave the greatest feeling of accomplishment when acquiring something. Heck, I obtained one of the rarest and most sought-after mounts in WoW and didn't feel the same way about finally getting a certain HTBF drop.