言語: JP EN DE FR
2010-06-21
New Items
users online
フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Black Mage » Frustrated
Frustrated
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
By Naughtydread 2021-01-26 15:15:31  
Hello, I am looking for advice. IT seems almost impossible to get parties with a BLM even my LS won't bring me. Does anyone have any suggestions for being able to play as a BLM. I tried SMN and did not enjoy the job.
[+]
 Shiva.Berzerk
サーバ: Shiva
Game: FFXI
user: Berzerk06
By Shiva.Berzerk 2021-01-26 15:23:04  
Unfortunately BLM isn't in a state to meaningfully participate in modern FFXI content. I still enjoy the job and use it for older content such as delve and vagary. Other than ambuscade months where BLM is useful (do those still exist?) it's not one of the primary jobs used anymore.

I'd recommend toying with other jobs maybe RDM, SCH, or BLU to fill the joy you currently get from BLM, but until there's more content that doesn't incentivize the current meta, I wouldn't expect BLM to be anything people are looking for.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
サーバ: Asura
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2021-01-26 15:24:53  
BLM kinda fell out of the meta.

What's the goal? If you want to play the game, BLM requires an entire build out specifically for it and people generally don't want to bother. (it can work with like a ranger/cor magic setup)

Or just do CP? make a burst party.
[+]
By Rips 2021-01-26 15:27:50  
If you're going to be a BLM, you better be a damn good BLM in every way that you can possibly be. Not just best in slot gear, but best in class of skill for your job.

You'll have to create your own parties if you're looking to CP or do events.

Also, either your LS is just skating by on the events they're doing and need you to be something else, or they do the content just fine and are being ***.

Make new friends.
[+]
 Odin.Senaki
サーバ: Odin
user: Senaki
By Odin.Senaki 2021-01-26 15:28:29  
You might need to keep Blm as your 'fun job', and then play another job you can tolerate as your 'party job'. Rdm is in quite high demand due to it's versatility and enfeebling at end game. It's basically required for some Aeonic NMs as well. Luckily Rdm also shares some gear with Blm.

So I'd recommend playing Rdm with the LS, then gearing Blm for fun.

Blm does every now and again have value in Ambuscade groups. Albeit the last month Blm was needed for Ambuscade was 5(?)+ months ago.

Edit: The last time I recall BLM being used actively was when people would use it for Death-spam on Aeonic NMs. Then SE proceeded to nerf Geo's bubbles in a way that made this much harder to be feasible, and well, people stopped using Blm.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Asura.Crevox
user: Crevox
By Asura.Crevox 2021-01-26 15:38:27  
I was using BLM for CP parties and Geas Fete NMs, including some battlefields, but it has problems.

-The magic burst window nerf is annoying
-Most parties are built around physical DPS, without buffs/debuffs for magic damage dealing you will have a harder time (MP regen, MACC, MATK, etc)
-Many battlefields and NMs are either extremely resistant to a lot of magic, or just have so much MDT/SDT that it's not even worth bothering trying to nuke through it, it just ends up being an uphill battle that you have to overgear/overbuff for, or play a guessing game on elements

When it works, it works great. When it doesn't, you feel very useless. It asks for good gear to succeed and offers very little (or no) support to the party. It's still enjoyable, but you just can't bring it to all content, and have to know when it can contribute and when you should just bring something else. You can play it, but if you do, you need to be able to be confident in your ability to perform and gear up accordingly, and have friends willing to work with you on magic bursts/buffs/debuffs/strategies.

And yeah, it also kinda really demands magic bursts. You can do some CP farms or weaker NMs just freecasting nukes as long as you can keep your MP up (that damage dealt to MP chestpiece is very nice), but you really need to be magic bursting to succeed, which means a party doing skillchains and not closing the MB windows instantly. Asking random pug parties to do this can potentially frustrate both you and them, even if it would be very successful. I melted monsters in CP parties as BLM, but I always formed the party as a base with 2-3 friends, so we had a plan in place from the get go and had to work our strategy in mind that a BLM would be nuking.
[+]
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
サーバ: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2021-01-26 15:49:22  
Let's all be honest here, and this is coming from a person with a Laevateinn BLM he's very proud of, and wishes he could use more-

The evolution of ALL content in this game has always been one of safety to one of speed. As the need for safety becomes less and less, either through better gear or better understanding of a fight's mechanics, players seek out ways to kill things faster. And this evolution has always followed this basic order:

1. Skillchain/Burst method (BLMs)
2. Ranged Strats
3. Melee Strats.

Now, Black Mages face the double ostracizing of not only being seeing as the Slow and Safe method, but SE nerfing repetitive damage from the same element for SPELLS ONLY.

You can take 11 CORs if you wanted to a Zerde fight, and launch 22 consecutive Wildfires, and never see a "resist wall". Bring 3 BLMs and by the 5th Fire burst, damage goes to ***.

Add to this the final nail in Alliance play BLM's coffin- no increase in content difficulty in the past 5 years to reset that predictable order of attempting content. If nothing gets harder, you can jump to faster methods from the first day of release.
[+]
By Draylo 2021-01-26 16:05:32  
I miss my BLM, I was annoyed it was the only thing used for Escha and then SE nerfed it into the ground. We need some Ultima spell.
By Crossbones 2021-01-26 16:06:19  
Blm is a worse version of SCH in almost every way. It's quite possibly the worst job in the game atm. If you are good at blm and know content well there's nothing stopping you from playing blm and making your own groups.
[+]
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2021-01-26 16:07:06  
didn't wish to edit original post:

I completely forgot to mention the AoE challenges BLM faces in modern content as well as the way the game is set up to hurt them specifically-

-A BLU's AoE damage from a spell is not reduced based on the number of targets the way a BLM's AoE nuke is.

-Modern content like Odyssey nerfs ALL AoE damage.

These two things take away another tool from BLM's design, to the point of where they just don't bring enough to justify either alliance play set up for their success or trying to fit in to a modern meta.
[+]
 Leviathan.Isiolia
user: Isiolia
By Leviathan.Isiolia 2021-01-26 16:31:30  
Leviathan.Celebrindal said: »
Now, Black Mages face the double ostracizing of not only being seeing as the Slow and Safe method, but SE nerfing repetitive damage from the same element for SPELLS ONLY.

To be fair, earlier Aeonic/etc strategies were mage centric due to relevant Geomancy being "broken" at the time. Magic worked when it was substantially harder to make physical damage viable, highly encouraging groups to approach fights with SC/MB.

Not that the repeated nuke damage wall helps either.

More generally though, it's all a matter of group strategy, which in turn is a product of what's effective, and what people can (or want) to use. Any DD needs to be properly buffed to perform to their potential, and if your LS isn't running a setup that'd do your BLM justice, then it's just going to perform terribly and confirm why they didn't want it along. Maybe see if there are fights you do where SC/MB would work well, and try to get it properly supported for that.

Otherwise, step back and consider what it is you like about BLM in particular, and see if jobs that fit into more strategies would offer it as well.
 Asura.Jdove
user: erasmuss
By Asura.Jdove 2021-01-26 16:34:21  
Funny this should come up i just posted this topic on playonline's official forum.

"Suggestion for game balance
Lock weapon skill damage and massive critical hit white damage behind a damage wall so if a weapon skill is done too quickly its damage gets nerfed 90% like the magic burst wall and blood pact wall, this would create the need for planned skillchains and the need for people to use BLM and magic burst jobs to do good damage and stop people from using the same 8 jobs (Run cor geo brd whm drk war mnk ) for absolutely everything and give the game some needed versatility. And also let mobs stay glued to pld and give it some debuffs that let it compete better with rune fencer. (This isn't meant to be directed at players who think differently but at the devs as a suggestion.)"

This might not be the answer you are all looking for but to me its the only way i can see to balance the game and get people off the same 8 jobs.
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2021-01-26 16:34:52  
I also think some jobs are just better suited in the current Vana'diel for lowman content vs alliance play. Jobs like NIN, DNC, BLU, and BLM can be extremely powerful in lowman setups, but are often tossed aside for alliance work.

Nothing wrong with having your jobs that get the love when its 18 people, and jobs that get love when its only 6. The hard part is finding like-minded people to team up with and take advantage of those smaller situations.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2021-01-26 16:44:15  
endxen said: »
Honestly the only content in the game that justifies using an alliance is dynamis divergence and you can clear Wave 3 with a party of 6 as well. Everything else in the game can be with a party of 6 or less.

Oh I agree. But if your group is one of 14-20 people and job flexibility doesn't allow splitting up into 2-3 groups of 6 that all can be successful, adjustments get made, and large groups do what sometimes is truly easier with less. But we do it for camaraderie and to enjoy our time in game with friends.
[+]
By Naughtydread 2021-01-26 16:46:18  
Crossbones said: »
Blm is a worse version of SCH in almost every way. It's quite possibly the worst job in the game atm. If you are good at blm and know content well there's nothing stopping you from playing blm and making your own groups.

I started at release and have not played for many years. I am not experienced or skilled enough to do what you suggest. Thanks for all the replays it saddens me greatly.

Post deleted by User.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Asura.Nuance
user: Crion
By Asura.Nuance 2021-01-26 16:55:57  
BLM is still my favorite job in the game and even though I don’t get the opportunity to play it like I wish I could I still get all the shiny toys it can use as it is my fun job and no expense is spared on it. Even went as far as to set up a melee gear set for it to just spam vidohunir with the mythic in dynamis
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Jakey
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
user: Jakey
By Quetzalcoatl.Jakey 2021-01-26 18:30:12  
I don't mind a blm in dynamis D, they can help with aoe sleeps/petras and have manawall to be super tanky, they make otherwise terrible pulls manageable. Of course they are quickly made redundant by a puller who doesn't pull the entire zone at once.

Otherwise yeah I only get my blm out in Vagary these days mostly for the aoe clearing and manawall safety. I consider my SCH far better for any low man content which is usually when I would consider MB strats for anything else.

For a job that is in such a bad place I was kind of pissed when I saw they were left off the new enfeebling duration belt in Odyssey.
 Bahamut.Inspectorgadget
サーバ: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Inspectorgadget 2021-01-26 19:05:09  
If you only have one Level 99 job in this day and age and are not willing to be flexible to your linkshell's objectives you're not gonna get very far in this game. This isn't 2004 anymore where leveling a job to endgame took multiple months and having only one job was sufficient.
[+]
 Asura.Jdove
user: erasmuss
By Asura.Jdove 2021-01-26 19:14:25  
Bahamut.Inspectorgadget said: »
If you only have one Level 99 job in this day and age and are not willing to be flexible to your linkshell's objectives you're not gonna get very far in this game. This isn't 2004 anymore where leveling a job to endgame took multiple months and having only one job was sufficient.
What if you are bard only? I doubt anyone is going to tell you to play another job if thats the case. Anyways i only have played 1 job for 15 years and have never had a problem doing anything, gaol makes me swtich it up thats the only place. (It's not bard btw.)
 Bahamut.Suph
user: Suph
By Bahamut.Suph 2021-01-26 19:36:23  
Depends on what you want to do on BLM, if you just want to get CP you can manawall yourself in reisenjima with the reforged AF body, Ambu cape and reforged Empy boots (and 20/20 Manawall JP).

I was getting about 50 JP an hour solo (and also multiple jobs to 99 and a lot of JP for my mules/LS mates).

For harder contents, I only see BLM getting used for Kei anymore but once harder/more dangerous content come out where you want to limit TP feed and be out of range, then BLM will be in demand again.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
By Rive016 2021-01-26 19:48:30  
BLM is useful in dyna D just have to play it will. We used BLM in farm runs they would pull and bring the mobs to us at like 50% HP sleep and breakga etc made things easy with MW up. BLM was also able to pull all of wave 3 in jeuno with SU5 and X2 manawall (we reset job abilities) we were able to pull all fetters and kill them b4 we started killing the vote.
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2021-01-26 20:14:21  
Bahamut.Suph said: »
For harder contents, I only see BLM getting used for Kei anymore but once harder/more dangerous content come out where you want to limit TP feed and be out of range, then BLM will be in demand again.

No need for blm on Kei. Most do the SCH sc + TF RNG method and kill it under 5 mins. BLM usually miss the mb and heal it instead.

Even as a RNG I miss getting to go BLM to Kei. But don't blame bad BLMs for the reason to not bring them to content- a good BLM that times things well is a huge help in a SCH+RNG method.
 Bahamut.Suph
user: Suph
By Bahamut.Suph 2021-01-26 20:30:25  
No need for blm on Kei.

Oh I don't think you need any specific job for any content in the game lol, like you can kill wave 2 boss with just a rdm

YouTube Video Placeholder

We have gotten so much stronger over these past few years without any new really hard content to match it that I'm sure if needed be we can come up with strategy for any mob that exclude a specific job, even whm or geo.

Just saying blm is viable for Kei because when you're doing Omen, you make a party just for Omen and not say "blm strat will make Vini very smooth but if we melee Vini we can go on to Albumen without changing jobs"
[+]
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8