Undelete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Asura.Panasync
サーバ: Asura
Game: FFXI
By Asura.Panasync 2021-01-01 15:03:20  
Odin.Creaucent said: »
If you mean dungeons then yes a fair few have been reskinned but no one cares about them.

I was referring to raid bosses and rewards. Honestly they have, what, I think like 4/5 areas of content, in-which they tend to recycle within them often. I mean their whole tier of raids this expansion consisted of reskinned primals, again. If they're not reskins of XIV content, they're reskins of XI or previous FF/or tangental SE/FF content.

So that moves us on to the only endgame weapons that have been reskinned and thats the Ultimate mode weapons which apart from looking like the base model they are quite unique.

Slapping an obnoxiously bright busy light on a 1:1 reskin of a weapon is far from unique. Not to mention it's insulting that "relics", and even the ultimate fights weapons are basically a giant light bulb of a reskin of a model they've previously used.

When I put in the kind of work it takes to finish those fights or relics, I'd appreciate some sort of reward that compensates me for the time. Seeing as how they can't add meaningful stats to anything let alone these weapons it would have to be a unique model as a bare minimum as I don't find that rewarding, but they could at the very least do that. Yet to show how lazy they are and how useless it is to do anything in the game, they turn around and reuse said models as the next batch of crafted items, but just painted black.

I find XI to have far more reskins then XIV does and there are a lot of weapons out for XIV.

For one, XI has been out decades and has far more design restrictions than games developed even within the last decade let alone when XIV came out. Aside from the model itself, XI weapons actually differ and have unique and lasting uses, XIV is basically just the model. The "stats" on the weapon are generic and really have no real use, or very very little in terms of how they affect gameplay.

Secondly, the issue isn't reskinning in and of itself, XIV lacks any kind of depth or lasting reward which makes the reskinning of the game and content either nostalgia baiting (using bosses from every other FF game and even Square off-shoots/other franchises), or laziness. I absolutely cannot stand the battle system in XIV, but if I decide to put up with it to play with friends at least give me something that makes the time invested worth it.

When you essentially throw away the only reward in XIV, which is glamour of gear, what am I playing for?

---

As Erics stated, the sole reason to play XIV is the MSQ, and even then I would say that it was only really worth playing to experience the story in this latest expansion. Not sure I'd say the story is all that great prior to it to go out of your way to play it.
By Mattelot 2021-01-02 10:42:42  
Sylph.Herbs said: »
The biggest mistake ff14 made in trying to attract ff11 players was copying the races and monsters over, when I move to a new mmorpg I don't want to be reminded how much I love a game I've played for so long. All this does it make me want to go play ff11.

It's Final Fantasy, so it's going to have things copied over. Not all, but nearly all FF games have some form of a character named Cid. Quite a bit of XI was copied over, namely the races but completely renamed (not sure why since Viera were added and still called Viera).

I still get what they were trying to do. The way WoW played was very appealing to many gamers... fast paced combat, dungeons, etc. Trying to mix the two was cool and it has fun aspects but I think they'll hit the mark with the next iteration.
 Leviathan.Isiolia
サーバ: Leviathan
user: Isiolia
By Leviathan.Isiolia 2021-01-02 11:05:46  
Mattelot said: »
It's Final Fantasy, so it's going to have things copied over. Not all, but nearly all FF games have some form of a character named Cid. Quite a bit of XI was copied over, namely the races but completely renamed (not sure why since Viera were added and still called Viera).

They may be referring more to the generous percent of enemies/etc that are basically using touched up XI assets, rather than some new version.
 Quetzalcoatl.Wakmidget
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
By Quetzalcoatl.Wakmidget 2021-01-02 11:49:32  
How can mithra be a renamed Viera when XI came out before XII?

Yes, some characters, enemies, bosses came from previous FF’s. But the races they have were pretty much original barring Hume and Elvaan, but those two are basic races choices for pretty much any MMO out there. Tarutaru, Galka, and Mithra were all unique to FFXI when they came out.

Then when FFXIV 1.0 came out they took that 5 race initial structure and copied it over with new names.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
 Bahamut.Ravael
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2021-01-02 11:59:44  
Leviathan.Isiolia said: »
Mattelot said: »

They may be referring more to the generous percent of enemies/etc that are basically using touched up XI assets, rather than some new version.

I wouldn't say it's a "generous percent". Most of the stuff that uses XI assets was generic enemy types put in place back in ARR 2.0 or areas that have been specifically made in homage to XI (e.g. Eureka zones). Obviously you're going to see new touched up assets here and there (what a goobbue looks like in 2.0 will be similar in later patches), but it's not like they're going out of their way to rehash XI assets at this point.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Wakmidget
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
By Quetzalcoatl.Wakmidget 2021-01-02 12:17:25  
I would really love for SE to release DQ10 in the states. That would definitely be a fresh change of pace. And I honestly think it would be worth it for them seeing how DQ sales in general have risen pretty well over here with the release of DQ11 and the definitive edition. I think a DQ MMO would be really cool over here.
 Lakshmi.Rooks
Administrator
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: Rooks
By Lakshmi.Rooks 2021-01-02 12:32:08  
Bahamut.Ravael said: »
it's not like they're going out of their way to rehash XI assets at this point.
Yeah, I see it less as "we're stealing XI assets" and more "We made the decision starting with XI that this is what a Goblin/Goobbue/Qiqirn looks like". XI's art direction is magnificent, and using it as a baseline is one of the smarter moves they made with XIV.

I'm sure some of it was "hey let's give the XI players some familiar faces"? But I'd say the bulk of it is that they knew what worked and kept it. FFXIV is mostly a SE theme park anyway, why wouldn't they lean heavily on the most successful game in the series?
[+]
 Leviathan.Isiolia
サーバ: Leviathan
user: Isiolia
By Leviathan.Isiolia 2021-01-02 12:45:06  
Lakshmi.Rooks said: »
Yeah, I see it less as "we're stealing XI assets" and more "We made the decision starting with XI that this is what a Goblin/Goobbue/Qiqirn looks like". XI's art direction is magnificent, and using it as a baseline is one of the smarter moves they made with XIV.

I didn't mean to imply that they were "stealing". Just that folks who have played both will end up recognizing a fair number of models. It's not some 2.0 thing exactly either.
IE, this had a decent few shown https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNRq1J91ybo

But you can still see Shadowbringer era stuff doing it, like every other mob type in the trash packs for Anamnesis Anyder being Sea mobs ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aczcmKRd4F4&t )
or Poroggos (established in Heavensward, granted) and fungaur literally called Exorays in the 5.4 dungeon https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fD9J0J90ATA&list=PLL5mKr-nFprKMsrDqpwsI1L0FKj4K

Ultimately, it ends up feeling like XI mobs are (largely) a base set, which gets expanded on.
Kind of more why notions that assets left from XI Mobile may have any value seem off. SE already has a lot of assets they'd need for an HD facelift of XI in XIV.
[+]
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
サーバ: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2021-01-02 12:45:32  
Reuse of fibal fantasy art assets has always happened, makes more sense for mmos which typically have to meet tight deadlines. That said the number of "stolen" xi assets vs original xiv ones is heavily and disproportionately in favor of xiv.

The time it takes to design, rig, and animate a gigantic boss like xiv's Alexander or Shinryu takes far more time than it takes to port over a Kindred.
[+]
 Sylph.Herbs
サーバ: Sylph
user: JoeRogan
By Sylph.Herbs 2021-01-02 13:53:37  
The point was, if you make a new mmorpg and use all the same races and some of the most iconic monsters that are identical you're going to be constantly reminding them of the other game. Calling your Mithra a big Chungus and your TaruTaru a little Chungus does not stop them being a Mithra and a Taru in the minds of FF11 players. When I was making my character on ff14 I was reminiscing about ff11, this is a big part of why I came back to ff11 after quitting to play a totally different game for a year and trying ff14.

If people have a serious emotional connection to the previous game, you don't want to be constantly reminding them of it when they are playing your new one. They will just want to go back to the previous game.

I know the initial plan was to retire ff11 and that is why they did it but as it is now, this is a major issue when a ff11 player tries that game. They are so different that a ff11 player will often just want to go back to what is comfortable.

The company seem to now be happy for both games to co-exist, so it doesn't really matter but I was pointing out something that some ff14 players maybe don't get when they keep suggesting for us to go play their game.

For the majority of people that play it now, which is mostly wow players this doesn't matter. To them the races are brand new and unique and so are all the monsters. If Square Enix added a Blight Elf and it looked really similar to a Night Elf, then they would have the same problem for those wow players too. They would have a mass exodus of wow players, so they have to be very careful when designing new races.
 Pandemonium.Zeto
サーバ: Pandemonium
By Pandemonium.Zeto 2021-01-02 13:59:07  
Valefor.Prothescar said: »
Reuse of fibal fantasy art assets has always happened, makes more sense for mmos which typically have to meet tight deadlines. That said the number of "stolen" xi assets vs original xiv ones is heavily and disproportionately in favor of xiv.

The time it takes to design, rig, and animate a gigantic boss like xiv's Alexander or Shinryu takes far more time than it takes to port over a Kindred.
Freakin' SE reusing the Fighter's sprite in FF2 for Firion. Well there's a few changes to Firion with him having some white trim but he's basically Fighter.

Funnily enough, they didn't reuse some of the FF1 sprites in FF3, notably the ridiculous looking FF3 THF. Several are alterations of the FF1 versions like Knight and Warrior both being altered Fighters.
 Asura.Tsm
サーバ: Asura
user: rangler33
By Asura.Tsm 2021-01-02 14:02:35  
The point was, if you make a new mmorpg and use all the same races and some of the most iconic monsters that are identical you're going to be constantly reminding them of the other game. Calling your Mithra a big Chungus and your TaruTaru a little Chungus does not stop them being a Mithra and a Taru in the minds of FF11 players. When I was making my character on ff14 I was reminiscing about ff11, this is a big part of why I came back to ff11 after quitting to play a totally different game for a year and trying ff14.

If people have a serious emotional connection to the previous game, you don't want to be constantly reminding them of it when they are playing your new one. They will just want to go back to the previous game.

I know the initial plan was to retire ff11 and that is why they did it but as it is now, this is a major issue when a ff11 player tries that game. They are so different that a ff11 player will often just want to go back to what is comfortable.

The company seem to now be happy for both games to co-exist, so it doesn't really matter but I was pointing out something that some ff14 players maybe don't get when they keep suggesting for us to go play their game.

For the majority of people that play it now, which is mostly wow players this doesn't matter. To them the races are brand new and unique and so are all the monsters. If Square Enix added a Blight Elf and it looked really similar to a Night Elf, then they would have the same problem for those wow players too. They would have a mass exodus of wow players, so they have to be very careful when designing new races.

don't think SE gives 2 shits if you're paying them $14/mo on ff14 or $20/mo on ffxi. not sure why you think they'd be concerned about this.

most of you probably buy every expansion that comes out for ff14 and occasionally pay for both at once. i think they're pretty glad to have that eco system that you're saying they shouldn't have
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
サーバ: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2021-01-02 17:24:55  

What you need to remember is that the same man was responsible for laying the creative groundwork for both games. Reuse and rehash is completely expected, especially since XIV 1.0 was very clearly designed to be pretty with very little effort out into any other facet of the game.
[+]
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7