フォーラム » FFXI » General » Primed for Adventure Feedback
Primed for Adventure Feedback
 Asura.Eiryl
サーバ: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-11-12 14:52:08  
mhomho said: »

If you want to know how to start over so quickly; it was a matter of not starting over. When you have a linkshell pl you back to master, and you have 4 mules with cap gil, there is no such thing as starting over. Immediately right back where you were.

Since page, to avoid this being missed
Lakshmi.Avereith said: »
Shiva.Arislan said: »
Streams like P.F.A., Huntin4Games, Chuwei, etc will appeal to casual players and prospective casual players. They're more about discovery, nostalgia and lighthearted fun.
yeah, if anyone should be a community rep it should be the huntin4games guy. he's actually into the game and knows about it :x
 Leviathan.Loona
サーバ: Leviathan
user: Loona
By Leviathan.Loona 2020-11-12 15:03:25  
Lakshmi.Avereith said: »
Shiva.Arislan said: »
Streams like P.F.A., Huntin4Games, Chuwei, etc will appeal to casual players and prospective casual players. They're more about discovery, nostalgia and lighthearted fun.
yeah, if anyone should be a community rep it should be the huntin4games guy. he's actually into the game and knows about it :x

He's alright, but he keeps talking about the game in the past tense, which feels counterproductive for an active game with 2 years of story ahead of it - community reps should be a bit more focused on the present and future, and use their professional positions to dig up information that isn't obvious about the game's past when they cover that.

Focusing on Ambuscade is almost the worst possible option, since it's such a hamster wheel that opens up nothing but gear options, which itself is a very limited way to approach a game as huge as XI.
By RadialArcana 2020-11-12 15:10:01  
I helped a long time returnee a few months back beat Cloud of Darkness, we were talking and he was saying how he was totally lost and considering quitting again. I took a few hours to show them how to do DI and where to get points, and then a few Ambuscade V2 runs on normal as a duo to get into it.

Every time I was on he was doing one or the other and really got stuck into it hardcore. He joined a shell and now has better gear than me.

Most players really just don't know what to do, Ambuscade is the best thing to concentrate on to gear up to start with. When you have too much choice of things to do it's intimidating, being shown a path is all most need. Yes it's boring, especially on v2 but it's a path.
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
 Sylph.Reain
サーバ: Sylph
user: dmregm
By Sylph.Reain 2020-11-12 15:32:15  
The Japanese freshly picked being 40-90mins long and released before the update compared the English digest being 5-6mins long and released after the update is BS. They don't even fully translate the freshly picked anymore?

I'm sure the English community team is well aware though.

I think getting the current info out at the same time is more pressing than the Primed for adventure stream. Or heaven forbid have the English community team announce something new first.

Their job must be seriously frustrating.
[+]
 Asura.Icilies
Guildwork Premium
user: icilies
By Asura.Icilies 2020-11-12 15:36:09  
Sylph.Reain said: »
The Japanese freshly picked being 40-90mins long and released before the update compared the english digest being 5-6mins long and released after the update is BS. They don't even fully translate the freshly picked anymore?

I'm sure the English community team is well aware though.

I think getting the current info out at the same time is more pressing than the Primed for adventure stream. Or heaven forbid have the English community team annouce something new first.

Their job must be seriously frustrating.

If it moves to monthly stream I was thinking this too. Maybe get a english version of freshly picked. Even if its abbreviated.
[+]
By RadialArcana 2020-11-12 15:36:44  
I get the feeling it is a frustrating job, I get annoyed at the lack of communication from the CM (i gor really annoyed about the pushing back of the return home campaign with no word until the date passed) but it's very possible the developers don't communicate with them much.
By Draylo 2020-11-12 17:40:29  
Nobody is going to watch any XI related content, period. It is a very niche game because SE doesn't and didn't advertise it even during its prime. They have put so little resources into this game for ages, probably since they began working on XIV. It's incredible the amount of love and care they put into advertising 14 constantly, I remember the last expansion had banners in Times Square, can't ever remember anything like that for 11. The problem is the company running the game.

Most streamers are of those games all the kiddies play like fortnite and crap, I barely ever look at twitch.
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
By Torzak 2020-11-12 19:49:48  
1) I haven't watched this stream, and probably won't. I watched the previous NuDawn stream (that I tried to summarize) because I thought to myself, "who has the time to watch 2hours"? That's the emotion that went into me summarizing it.

2) I don't really watch people play a game as part of any kind of daily or regular activity. If you're not cream of the crop playing, doing something highly competitive, doing something highly instructional, or doing something highly informational, or EXTREMELY funny, I'm probably not gonna watch your game stream. I don't have the time for that & I'd rather be playing the game for myself.

Gear swapping is an instrumental part of this game - if the content demonstrated a complete disregard for that, while simultaneously the player has gear that their character probably shouldn't have per the way it's played, it comes off as pretty disingenuous. And as trashy as Eiryl can get to sounding, I was torn between hitting like on some of his comments in this thread and not.
[+]
 Sylph.Wardeniv
サーバ: Sylph
user: Wardeniii
By Sylph.Wardeniv 2020-11-12 20:57:05  
Making a well-received Twitch stream is walking in to a pretty high bar given all of the established content people are accustomed to on the platform. XI itself is a god-awful game to try and garner much of a Twitch presence on. I think at Ejin's best he's pulled in ~200+ viewers and he's invested so much into establishing that following even.

I think the community team is probably too constrained by having to come off as professional/publicly appropriate to provide what the average degenerate XI/twitch gamer is most interested in watching. It also isn't reasonable to expect them to grind out 8-12+ hours of gameplay on a Friday night.

All that aside - there are a few ideas for potentially increasing viewership/how well it's received.

1) Take people through an honest look of what coming back to the game in an efficient way looks like. Grind out the Rhapsody cutscenes, find some bud to cleave you up to 99, and walk through knocking out the core sh*t that will get people up to being able to enter Dyna-D, Omen, etc. Turn it into a speed run trying to min-max getting to a certain objective (X job to 99, access to Y content, obtain Z base returnee gearset, leveling up a bard mule, do a co-stream where they race someone to X objective, etc.).

2) Do some nostalgia streams of various paths of content (Choose any of the main storylines). These streams don't have to be hyper-efficient - legit 50% of what all endgame players do is gush over old stories and nostalgia. Just do that and recall old stories of getting pummeled when you wasted a full weekend trying to farm a swift belt. The community team seems engaging enough to be able to engage people in that type of thing.

3) Get some screened people who won't be toxic sh*tposters to hop in discord with them and just do whatever some of the campaigns-of-the-month are. Do voidwatch this month and talk about how easy it is to make some gil and sit there shooting the breeze remembering doing through voidwatch the first time around as people worked through the weakness targeting system. Mix nostalgia and something useful for new players. I can appreciate a lot of their streams being ambu because that content is legit prob the best bang for your buck.

Mix nostalgia with utility. This game is never going to pull in some mind-blowing over the top stream numbers where like thousands of people tune in or something goes viral, but they can still continue making these engaging/successful.
[+]
By Crossbones 2020-11-12 21:31:26  
They should put that ffxi recollection video Rua made on the main pol website.
[+]
 Leviathan.Loona
By Leviathan.Loona 2020-11-13 00:34:08  
I'm not sure what to think about the fact that a community rep covers the game in her own account which has likely less visibility than an official SE one:
https://twitter.com/lofiFaye/status/1326751916320149504?s=19

Seems to play into personal ambitions of going pro with streaming and voice acting...

I don't know, it's weird, some fans do stuff almost for free, and someone who's paid to rep the game ends up doing stuff outside her work context about it that's likely much less visible while actually going into the stuff people play FF games for...
 Asura.Icilies
Guildwork Premium
By Asura.Icilies 2020-11-13 00:59:28  
Leviathan.Loona said: »
I'm not sure what to think about the fact that a community rep covers the game in her own account which has likely less visibility than an official SE one:

Seems to play into personal ambitions of going pro with streaming and voice acting...

I don't know, it's weird, some fans do stuff almost for free, and someone who's paid to rep the game ends up doing stuff outside her work context about it that's likely much less visible while actually going into the stuff people play FF games for...

I’m not sure what you are saying here. Can you re summarize ?
 Leviathan.Loona
By Leviathan.Loona 2020-11-13 01:34:01  
Asura.Icilies said: »
Leviathan.Loona said: »

I’m not sure what you are saying here. Can you re summarize ?

It's not hard to follow the link...

On the FFXI broadcast that's a part of her job she goes through Ambuscade, which means nothing to people not already playing, and on her personal account she plays through story stuff, the kind of thing the marketing of Final Fantasy games tends to be based on.
It feels weird and backwards.
 Ragnarok.Ejiin
Guide Maker
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Ejin
By Ragnarok.Ejiin 2020-11-13 01:40:29  
I think Faye just running around to Goblin Footprints and reading the best FFXI story cutscenes from different expansions would be absurdly popular. She's an exceptional voice actor and it's really a pleasure when she does it for XI.
[+]
By Thunderjet 2020-11-13 04:13:26  
Crossbones said: »
bsite.

wat
By RadialArcana 2020-11-13 04:27:46  
Square and the online division in particular have always been terrible at marketing or even dealing with the people who play their games.

You know who really markets 14? The players.
You know who really markets 11? The players, but far fewer are far less ravenous about doing so compared to 14.

Some think I and others are "white knights" for ff11, if you think we're bad you haven't seen anything compared to the "promoters / defenders" of 14.

They could get rid of all the community managers for 11 and 14 and you would notice very little difference. It's sad but honestly, I don't know if they are the problem (cause they desperately seemed to want the job) or the company itself is the problem.

By the way, just gonna point this out. Lets say the Community manager actually plays FFXI in their free time, and uses all the windower addons that most of us use. Then they have to make an official stream, you think they will still be allowed to use them? Imagine how bad you'll play if you go from using all the adons to being forced to play vanilla.
[+]
 Bahamut.Sevir
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Rinuko
By Bahamut.Sevir 2020-11-13 07:24:47  
Asura.Eiryl said: »
No one knew it was coming up. No one posted about it (except me). Yojimmbo did in RQT. Sort of.

There was nothing on reddit. Nothing on the OF. I guess there's a post on twitter? I don't use twitter. Nothing on facebook? Nothing here other than the newsfeed that no one looks at (a week ago)

Im pretty sure i saw a notice on playonline website but then Im not so sure many people actually visit, though FFXIAH frontpage shouldve pulled that on the scrolling news feed?
By RadialArcana 2020-11-13 07:54:09  
No one knew it was coming up. No one posted about it (except me). Yojimmbo did in RQT. Sort of.

There was nothing on reddit. Nothing on the OF. I guess there's a post on twitter? I don't use twitter. Nothing on facebook? Nothing here other than the newsfeed that no one looks at (a week ago)

They don't really share it out because they are scared to post anywhere in the community, under normal circumstances certain players will signal boost for their shyness but they have nobody that really does it for them.

Why don't the community managers have reddit acounts for ff11, why don't they have an XIAH account? Are they scared of Eiryl being mean xD

When I played another MMO the girl and guy that were the community managers used to post officially on the subredit, they posted on all the major fan forums, they stuck it on the website, they even hopped in world chat and told people to come join them or join their groups for stuff. The community managers for FF11/14 are scared to interact with anyone.

Also this is kind of a big thing, why are they posting FFXI streams on Twitch at all? Why don't they stream on youtube? FFXI players are far far less likely to goto twitch than youtube. Twitch is for younger gamers, which is why that makes sense for FF14 but not FF11.
[+]
 Asura.Dibble
user: Dibble
By Asura.Dibble 2020-11-13 07:58:26  
Even if that's your view, doing easy ambuscade doesn't accomplish that.

Showcasing easy ambuscades accomplishes nothing. It doesn't make people want to start, it doesn't help anyone decide to stay, it doesn't show new stuff, it doesn't show fun stuff, it doesn't even show "here's some tips for doing it" because they don't even know how to do it. Aside from the obvious "make their hp zero before yours is zero"

I mean yeah, I'm jaded. Is anyone inspired to return by their failboat Easy ambuscade struggles?
This has inspired me to watch it!
 Asura.Icilies
Guildwork Premium
By Asura.Icilies 2020-11-21 19:55:48  
Finishing up this post for the official forums.

As a side note. What do you all think about requesting the dev team to enable comments on the monthly videos? Do you think this would be beneficial to request them to look at the responses?
 Asura.Aeonova
user: aeonova
By Asura.Aeonova 2020-11-21 20:05:21  
You already know how that would work out. It's nice that you asked though.

You have to keep in mind that this is a Japanese MMORPG with an English client (because that's where a lot of money is). The staff that makes all of the calls that decide things internally are JP and if they want to look for inspiration (like they don't already have a road map well into the next 2 years), then they have both 1: forums in their native language they can easily read and 2: they can just ask a bi-lingual person to tell them what NA/English client players are mostly suggesting (read: bitching about).

Sorry for being a Negative Nancy. Here you go:

endxen said: »
What is twitch?

Baby don't hurt me.
By RadialArcana 2020-11-22 07:36:27  

As a side note. What do you all think about requesting the dev team to enable comments on the monthly videos? Do you think this would be beneficial to request them to look at the responses?

This makes no sense to me, companies that disable comments and likes normally are hated or have some big controversy. Square are not hated, why on earth would they do that? Like even if you don't care about the comments from a feedback perspective, why would you bother to disable them.

I think the problem is, they are a JP developers so the NA community staff make ALL these decisions and they are such PR people that they are afraid of human beings that play their games. This is why they disable comments and don't interact with any of the players.

On one hand community managers handling all this stuff means you have almost no drama at all, however it comes at the cost of completely isolating the creators from the players.

The subliminal message it sends when you have a video from the developers and they have comments closed is hilarious. Why even bother to tell us anything if we are this level of savages.
 Asura.Tsm
user: rangler33
By Asura.Tsm 2020-11-22 08:15:33  
everyone appreciates your guys' intentions to try and get SE to deliver us a better game but pleaser refer to einstein's alleged definition of insanity.

people have tried to reach SE the way you are trying to for years and had literally 0 results. find a different way to get your message across.
By RadialArcana 2020-11-22 08:33:08  
Asura.Tsm said: »
everyone appreciates your guys' intentions to try and get SE to deliver us a better game but pleaser refer to einstein's alleged definition of insanity.

people have tried to reach SE the way you are trying to for years and had literally 0 results. find a different way to get your message across.

All you do is hate on the game and try cause trouble with every post you make, I get you hate ff11 but you have to learn to enjoy something else instead of hating on this. Why don't you go post how much you love ff14 on their forums instead? I really don't like ff14 but I don't spend my time on ff14 forums hating on it, it's completely pointless and negative to you as a person to spend so much time doing that.

There are lots of people that have criticisms about the game here but they also make posts now and then that show they like the game, you hate the game completely and every single post you make is to that end.
 Asura.Icilies
Guildwork Premium
By Asura.Icilies 2020-11-22 13:59:15  
RadialArcana said: »

This makes no sense to me, companies that disable comments and likes normally are hated or have some big controversy. Square are not hated, why on earth would they do that? Like even if you don't care about the comments from a feedback perspective, why would you bother to disable them.

I think the problem is, they are a JP developers so the NA community staff make ALL these decisions and they are such PR people that they are afraid of human beings that play their games. This is why they disable comments and don't interact with any of the players.

On one hand community managers handling all this stuff means you have almost no drama at all, however it comes at the cost of completely isolating the creators from the players.

The subliminal message it sends when you have a video from the developers and they have comments closed is hilarious. Why even bother to tell us anything if we are this level of savages.

Ya, it got me thinking now that we know they do have a few translators working in the States. I'll put it in the post just to get the idea out there
 Asura.Tsm
user: rangler33
By Asura.Tsm 2020-11-23 12:00:22  
RadialArcana said: »
Asura.Tsm said: »

All you do is hate on the game and try cause trouble with every post you make, I get you hate ff11 but you have to learn to enjoy something else instead of hating on this. Why don't you go post how much you love ff14 on their forums instead? I really don't like ff14 but I don't spend my time on ff14 forums hating on it, it's completely pointless and negative to you as a person to spend so much time doing that.

There are lots of people that have criticisms about the game here but they also make posts now and then that show they like the game, you hate the game completely and every single post you make is to that end.

not many people that post here hate ffxi or want it to die, there's just the people who have realized after 17 years of playing this game that SE does not care what the community wants and there's the people like yourself. disillusioned posting is wasting everyone's time.

it's unfortunate that the game we all chose to play is ran by a company of incompetent morons but what can you do
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2020-11-23 12:13:54  
Just like the devs, just like the director, the people who represent the community, don't even play the *** game. Okieeomi and Sicycre have zero AH transaction history. At least pretend.
Highly likely that both of these characters were only created for the podcast. They both may play as other characters and choose (wisely) not to disclose those characters period.
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-11-23 12:30:45  
We (I) know who they are, so... not really. They "play" but they don't play.

Could they have tertiary characters they secretly post from? No, just simply no.