users online
フォーラム » Everything Else » Chatterbox » #TheSocialDilemma
#TheSocialDilemma
First Page 2 3 4
 Leviathan.Draugo
サーバ: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
By Leviathan.Draugo 2020-10-28 17:03:16  
I feel this is a topic worthy of discussion with you nerds.

This issue goes beyond politics, religion, xenophobia, environmental, and much more.

If you have children in this day and age, it is even more important to be aware of what is happening with social media specific trends, that are happening this very second.

If it's in the wrong forum sub category I apologise, peace!

Going to go hang out in the real world. For several hours.
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
サーバ: Asura
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-10-28 18:00:39  
Was a good documentary.

(all) Social media was a mistake, I saw a very well made statement about social media; There's always been idiots (the town idiot etc) but, being so few in number they posed no threat. Social media allows all those singular idiots to meet and that's where the problem lies.

Disinformation is more fun and exciting than truth. It's more fun to take everything out of context and blow everything out of proportion. It's never been easier to spread weaponized misinformation.

Social media did to the boomers what the boomers thought video games would do to the millenials. Someone with a "title" said it, and you can't lie on the internet, so I have to tell everyone I know about it.

YouTube Video Placeholder
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
[+]
By Prong 2020-10-28 18:08:13  
I have not owned a smart phone since 2011 and it is gloooooorious.
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-10-28 18:10:46  
It is great to simply ignore the world while it falls apart around you, but doesn't help in any way.

Humans just aren't ready for the ability to talk to all of Earth. Too many negatives. We're not there yet.
By RadialArcana 2020-10-28 18:13:27  
Social media has been the worst thing to ever happen to western society, at least mainstream use of it. If other nations have any sense they will do what China does and block it best they can.
By mhomho 2020-10-28 18:26:17  
There's an entire generation being raised, addicted to social media. Depression and anxiety has skyrockets primarily amongst teenage girls in particular in correlation with the advent of instagram. Kids literally can't tell the difference between reality and shooped pictures. It's ridiculous. If you try to correct them they just go get their pitchforks.
I would argue Discord is another social media platform that has contributed to the grooming of an entire generation while growing hiveminds. Discord is the devil.
[+]
 Pandemonium.Zeto
サーバ: Pandemonium
By Pandemonium.Zeto 2020-10-28 18:34:50  
Asura.Eiryl said: »
Was a good documentary.

(all) Social media was a mistake, I saw a very well made statement about social media; There's always been idiots (the town idiot etc) but, being so few in number they posed no threat. Social media allows all those singular idiots to meet and that's where the problem lies.

Disinformation is more fun and exciting than truth. It's more fun to take everything out of context and blow everything out of proportion. It's never been easier to spread weaponized misinformation.

Social media did to the boomers what the boomers thought video games would do to the millenials. Someone with a "title" said it, and you can't lie on the internet, so I have to tell everyone I know about it.
It's not just disinformation is more fun. One of the first things people did when facebook took off was find out what gets shared the most. Turns out... people are most likely to share stuff that pisses them off. We're clearly not ready and never will be ready if info is shared based on what pisses you off.
[+]
 Bahamut.Negan
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Negan
By Bahamut.Negan 2020-10-28 18:40:10  
How many of you guys are on Facebook? I mean seriously, #socialdilemna is a hashtag for social media ffs. This "woke" fad is just a fad. People will keep using Facebook until the next great social platform comes along. It's not a dilemna it's the future.
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-10-28 18:57:20  
We are so overdue for "the next thing"

We did the myspace thing, and facebook killed it, and going into it I assumed it was temporary just like myspace, nothing lives up to the facebook killer. (except maybe the government antitrust hearings...)

I do admit I do love to meme on the hashtags, you'll never see me actually hashtag anything. If I do it, you know it's something I really disagree with.
[+]
 Bahamut.Negan
By Bahamut.Negan 2020-10-28 19:01:04  
the government antitrust hearings...)
Facebook should be ruled into the ground. I actually get frustrated when I hear ppl flame google or amazon, but facebook and apple are above it all.
[+]
 Pandemonium.Zeto
By Pandemonium.Zeto 2020-10-28 19:13:49  
I mean that's one of the big problems with social media. It's all attention economies and those are by nature monopolistic.

It's the problem with trying to make a competitor to twitch. To get viewers, you need streamers and to get new streamers... you need a viewerbase. If a better twitch popped up, sure twitch and twitch2 would fight for a bit but eventually one would hit a critical mass of viewers/streamers and absorb the rest from the other as it collapses. And so far no one's been able to get big enough to actually fight twitch so they just collapse(mixer).

I think the only way social media won't inherently trend to a monopoly is if it ends up as a federated system ala Fediverse. So you'd have Facebook and Headalbum and uh Skulltome. And you can be on any of them and fully interact with the others. But that's probably never going to happen.
[+]
 Asura.Zidaner
user: Xavierr
By Asura.Zidaner 2020-10-28 19:37:53  
I just got a smartphone yesterday for the first time in 11+ years for the purposes of better communication with job seekers. The girl that was working the register at the phone shop was trying to sell me all this fancy stuff for facebook, tiktok and w/e else is popular. I said I didn't need it I just wanted to make phone calls and the occasional text message. She asked me how I live without it. I was absolutely dumbfounded at how serious she was but I guess that is the generation today.

My kids absolutely lose their minds when a cellphone or tablet is taken away as a punishment. The days are long gone where you see kids at the park, riding bikes, fishing etc.

I really fear the world in 10, 15 20 years. Society is literally falling apart at the seams. Technology is great in one aspect but it really is ripping the world apart on the other side of the spectrum.
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-10-28 19:41:00  
[+]
By Shichishito 2020-10-28 20:00:36  
back in the day kids lost their minds when you'd take away their gameboy, console or TV privileges. tablets and cellphones just seem to be the new versions.

also i thought you only get permission to *** about the previous generations once you hit like 60+.
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-10-28 20:15:13  
It's a bit of a different monster... the phone is a feedback loop. Likes, dislikes, updoots, downvotes, views, shares...

Ya boys gameboy just played tetris.

Lack of Instagram views after 300 attempts at a cute selfie causes ya girls to kill themselves.

Also, I've been bitching about my own generation since I could talk. (should come of literally zero surprise) The thought of those tards being employed and/or in charge of other humans is ***. terrifying. Bunch of C student paramedics, lawyers, technicians.
 Bahamut.Negan
By Bahamut.Negan 2020-10-28 20:16:50  
Ya boys gameboy just played tetris.
L O L. My gameboy still only has tetris. I keep it in the bathroom so I drop things smoothly.
[+]
By Shichishito 2020-10-28 21:25:03  
Lack of Instagram views after 300 attempts at a cute selfie causes ya girls to kill themselves.
not beating the highscore after the 10.000th attempt probably also lead to some folks throwing themselfs behind a train, you just couldn't read about it on social media.
 Leviathan.Draugo
By Leviathan.Draugo 2020-10-28 22:16:00  
Shichishito said: »
not beating the highscore after the 10.000th attempt probably also lead to some folks throwing themselfs behind a train, you just couldn't read about it on social media.
The need for public approval over self appraisals are vastly different when affecting dopamine levels as far as whole self acceptance is concerned. Problem is 10k people's approval or hate is detrimental to developing psyche.

Which we weren't even close to being in that level of interest in the console days.
[+]
 Pandemonium.Zeto
By Pandemonium.Zeto 2020-10-28 22:54:37  
Yeah the high score player isn't trying to get approval or trying to fit in with some social clique. He's doing it for the competition usually.

Also with all the groups hating on video games back in the day, if people could link a sizable number of suicides to people spending too much time in arcades... we would not have heard the end of it. I mean how many times in the past 30 years have we had to sit through the 'video games cause violence' stuff. Pretty sure we'd have been getting 'video games make people suicidal' from those same groups too if they could.
By Shichishito 2020-10-28 23:31:09  
of course if someone decides to kill himself over not getting enough likes on (insert social media of your choice here) is horrible and society should intervene.
but maybe,

just maybe... it's darwinism at its best and we should not interfere.
[+]
 Leviathan.Draugo
By Leviathan.Draugo 2020-10-28 23:37:17  
It's not all about suicide either, it's the most brilliant propaganda machine that devious human beings have ever conceived. If you haven't watched the documentary yet I reaaallly recommend you do.

This is 1984, big brother is an AI, and it has no concern for truth, merely customized appeasement for each individual.

And it's brilliant because we are not aware of it on the whole.

Edit: really curious to hear Rooks and other admins take on the matter, even this site is a social media outlet of sorts.
By mhomho 2020-10-29 00:08:37  
Bahamut.Negan said: »
until the next great social platform comes along.
Discord is it
People just don't want to admit it.
By Ruaumoko 2020-10-29 00:37:58  
Leviathan.Draugo said: »
really curious to hear Rooks and other admins take on the matter, even this site is a social media outlet of sorts.
What happened in the P&R Forum made his take pretty clear.

Social media was a mistake.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
[+]
By RadialArcana 2020-10-29 03:35:49  
The internet was supposed to bring us all together, to spread knowledge. Social media has pushed us to bee more aggressive to others, more tribal, more angry, have more mental health issues and more stupid than ever as a society.

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2020-10-29 07:54:43  
RadialArcana said: »
The internet was supposed to bring us all together, to spread knowledge. Social media has pushed us to bee more aggressive to others, more tribal, more angry, have more mental health issues and more stupid than ever as a society.

Humans are tribal by nature and we form tribes based on shared attributes, it's in our DNA. Previously our "tribe" was the village / town we grew up in, our classmates in school, our coworkers or professional colleagues. We defined our individual existences by these connections, our values, beliefs and pretty much everything of our day to day lives. Now lets throw in a system that lets people "connect" with thousands of completely artificial facsimiles of "people" and see how that screws with everyone's reality.

People online are fake, it's that simple. About the only way to make online connections "real" is for full telepresence, meaning cameras for all group communications. It's still a facsimile but at least being able to see each other's faces lends some weight to forming real connection.
[+]
 Garuda.Chanti
サーバ: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2020-10-29 09:31:15  
Asura.Memes said: »
Social media isn't the problem. People are the problem. Guns don't kill people.

Asura.Memes said: »
Is the existence of the websites the actual problem, or human nature?
Its the algorithms that are the problem.

Facebook' algorithms pursue engagement. They keep showing users more and more extreme content, taking them by the prefrontal cortex, leading them down one of many rabbit holes and radicalizing them.

Facebook reportedly had evidence that its algorithms were dividing people, but top executives killed or weakened proposed solutions

Political polarization on Facebook
[+]
 Cerberus.Tikal
サーバ: Cerberus
user: Tikal
By Cerberus.Tikal 2020-10-29 10:22:06  
mhomho said: »
Bahamut.Negan said: »
until the next great social platform comes along.
Discord is it
People just don't want to admit it.
Discord is AIM 2.0.
First Page 2 3 4