WTS : Excalibur IRL (3D Print)

言語: JP EN DE FR
2010-06-21
New Items
users online
フォーラム » FFXI » General » WTS : Excalibur IRL (3D Print)
WTS : Excalibur IRL (3D Print)
By Drayco 2020-09-09 17:53:08  
I know it's been a minute since my last release. I wanted to share a few things with everybody regarding what's happening right now.

Link to Etsy Store!
Link to all Social Media

TL:DR I <3 Excalibur and new releases will be slowed down a bit for a while.

Firstly, as always a big thank you to all of you. All the feedback and happy new RL REMA holders really make this endeavor a lot of fun for me. I do regret to say that new releases are going to be slowed down a bit for a while. The store will still remain open and all my items will still remain for sale, but new models won't be every 2(ish) weeks like it has been. My family is currently going through some serious medical issues and is occupying most of my free time. The stress of this situation is making it very difficult for me to find the time or motivation to run the 3D printers all day. I plan on still designing things during this time, so there will be more releases when this situation settles down. Thank you for understanding.

Second thing I wanted to share was regarding this release. Excalibur was not a very highly requested item by the community, but I decided to make one for myself. Excalibur has always had a special place in my FFXI life. Paladin and Dark Knight were my 2 favorite jobs. I liked the duality of playing both jobs. My love for Paladin honestly started with my first interactions with Rooks. Back in 2003-2004 Rooks was awesome enough to help out my CoP static through the chapters 7 and 8. Rooks had his Excalibur and it was the first time I had ever seen a relic. Seeing this gorgeous weapon and how invincible Rooks was made me strive to reach that level. Excalibur was my first love, but my second relic. I finished my own Excalibur around 2010 and got to really enjoy it during the 75 content. It's always been one of my absolute favorites.

I know I'll get a lot of questions about how I finished this prop and got it to look so realistic. I had hoped to create a video highlighting how I did it, but with everything going on I didn't shoot any video. I'm not saying a video won't ever come out, but not just yet. The process really is not difficult, just time consuming.

[+]
 Leviathan.Draugo
サーバ: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
By Leviathan.Draugo 2020-09-09 18:14:36  
Where my moonshade?!?!
[+]
 Asura.Topace
サーバ: Asura
user: Topace
By Asura.Topace 2020-09-09 18:49:35  
On my way to solo Byakko
 Asura.Suteru
user: Suteru
By Asura.Suteru 2020-09-09 19:16:09  
Looks great! I hope things start going better for you!

Did the finishing involve aluminum tape? Adam Savage had a great video about that.

https://youtu.be/O1--0DLJv-8
[+]
 Asura.Karbuncle
user: Karbuncle
By Asura.Karbuncle 2020-09-09 19:41:43  
Ah... I've been waiting for this since our discussion. Welp, off to Etsy. I hope I can make it look even half as good as yours.
[+]
By Drayco 2020-09-09 19:44:07  
Asura.Suteru said: »
Looks great! I hope things start going better for you!

Did the finishing involve aluminum tape? Adam Savage had a great video about that.

https://youtu.be/O1--0DLJv-8
Nope, that's a great way to finish blades tho. I didn't attempt that method, but my worry was the layer lines would be too visible through the tape.

This method involves sanding, painting, and clear coat to get as smooth of a glossy finish as possible, then rubbing with graphite powder. This quick video was shot when I was testing this method out.
YouTube Video Placeholder
[+]
 Cerberus.Resetti
サーバ: Cerberus
user: Freezepop
By Cerberus.Resetti 2020-09-09 21:17:45  
Glad you’re still able to complete your projects during your rough time. I miss you bro and hope your family gets through their medical issues. Take care man and I love your work!!
[+]
By Drayco 2020-09-10 06:50:59  
Cerberus.Resetti said: »
Glad you’re still able to complete your projects during your rough time. I miss you bro and hope your family gets through their medical issues. Take care man and I love your work!!
Thanks Res! I know you're a fellow Excalibur lover.
 Phoenix.Garaku
サーバ: Phoenix
user: Garaku
By Phoenix.Garaku 2020-09-17 00:35:16  
It looks so good! I'm glad yoore able to keep up the work despite all of the craziness! I'm eagerly awaiting that Liberator in the future. XD
Administrator
By Rooks 2020-10-06 16:20:39  
Mine just arrived and it's fantastic. I'm a minimalist and don't usually go for physical merch/items, but this absolutely nailed it.

A++
[+]
By Mattelot 2020-10-06 16:46:39  
Watch Rooks go outside and attempt to WS only for it to use Knights of the Rotund. Talk about getting trolled...
[+]
By RadialArcana 2020-10-06 17:06:08  
That's pretty awesome.