Will COVID-19 End The US As A Movie Leader?

言語: JP EN DE FR
2010-06-21
New Items
users online
フォーラム » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Will COVID-19 end the US as a Movie leader?
Will COVID-19 end the US as a Movie leader?
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
サーバ: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2020-07-29 17:11:57  
Hollywood finally admitting the US is a lost cause with Tenet

This is much bigger than people think, at least in terms of when I mention it to friends. Movie studios make movies for where they make the most money, and for the longest time that has been the United States. As such, our preferences and sensibilities are taken into consideration much more than other nations where said movies will air. Concessions are commonly made to "American" movies aired in China, ranging from content changes like removing Star Wars "Force Ghosts" glow to less interfering things such as a law-enforced 2hour limit on movies there.

If the United States is no longer the primary consideration in making movies, we could see massive changes in what we just see as "normal". And the entertainment that we so desire, especially after being denied it for several months, could be quite different.

But why are theaters able to open in other nations but not here? The US hasn't got it under control like many other places in the world, simply put. We really are bad at this, and now its showing in something "simple" like a movie release. But that simple thing has ramifications far beyond the next Marvel release. Its just a symptom of our bad handling of this, and other symptoms will be reduced international travel (and the money they spend here) to the United States, lowered investment in US companies (if they face shutdowns and quarantines that other nations don't, they won't be able to function).

I guess I really just wish people would stop worrying about the secret agenda of masks and instead put their efforts into more productive criticisms of leadership and government, and then just be responsible to their neighbors in their daily life.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2020-07-29 17:53:03  
Meh, I think we’ll have a temporary lull but that’s about it. I have no problem with the notion of Hollywood types being out of work for a bit, but I highly doubt that the U.S. will be dethroned in the long run.
[+]
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
サーバ: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2020-07-29 18:00:15  
oh I'm talking about something very different than the shutdown of production so many studios are going through. I'm talking about the long-term future of studios and how they make movies, and for whom.

If the US ceases being the primary market for their product, they rightfully would change to better match the desires of their new primary market- to make that new target happier and get even more out of it.

Now, from an artistic standpoint I love the idea of a more egalitarian experience of entertainment. As a classical musician, I loved getting new works from composers in foreign countries- they would use different rhythms, tonalities, even instruments at times than "Western" groups are used to. Really made one realize that while we were raised on Bach, Beethoven and Brahms...there are thousands of cultures out there with great music to show off to new audiences.

And movies are the same- gathering the best talent in the world only raises the quality of ALL products produced, be it through foreign directors/actors, CGI/production companies, composers and musicians for scores, makeup artists...every aspect of production can grow with increased competition from around the world.

I just wonder how the average American moviegoer will respond to changing themes, lead actors, and source material more desired by Eastern Audiences than Western. It will be interesting to watch no matter what the results of this situation are.
By Prong 2020-07-30 17:25:19  
If it stops all the reboots and taking everything that was awesome with a male cast and redoing it horribly with an all female cast for the wokies, I'm cool with it.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
サーバ: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2020-07-30 18:12:43  
Leviathan.Celebrindal said: »
I'm talking about the long-term future of studios and how they make movies, and for whom.
What are you talking about?

They have been pleasing their Chinese masters for the past few years now.

They just have more incentive to please them since COVID shutdown their competitor markets.
[+]