How Does Private Server Work?

言語: JP EN DE FR
2010-06-21
New Items
users online
フォーラム » FFXI » General » How does private server work?
How does private server work?
By billnes 2020-03-20 08:27:48  
Hello all,

If someone here knows how the private servers and the GM-Only client works, it would be greatly appreciated if they would share their knowledge.

The following is a excerpt from the 2006 leaked GM manual. This text is found in section 7.9, pages 53-54. This section is entitled GM Commands.

Quote:
Within the GM Client, GM commands exist that common players cannot access. This feature allows the GMs to be able to transfer a character, change the running speed of a character, check the information of a character, and more. With these GM commands, GMs can rescue stuck players or respond to harassment or grief tactics. Although this function is necessary in GM operations, using the function in an inappropriate matter may result in negative influence within the game world. All GMs need to understand the function and purpose of using the GM commands. Please be very careful when using the GM commands.

Section 7.9 continues on to give a partial listing of the GM-Only Commands. This list is found on pages 54-55. There is a different section in this leaked manual about "forbidden commands". I decided to leave that out to stop this post from becoming too long.

It sees as if there must be a corresponding DLL for each one of the GM-Only commands. I'm using //gm reqpost <t> as an example. It seems fairly obvious that someplace within the installation of the GM-Only client there must be a reqpost.dll... If this is inaccurate, clarification would be greatly appreciated.

To the best of my understanding: For the GM-Only command DLL's to work, the character must be flagged as a GM. If a regular player, without the red GM flag acquired and correctly installed (copied them over to the correct directories) the DLL's still wouldn't work. Without a GM flag, correctly installed GM-Only command DLL's would still be locked and dormant. Again, if this is inaccurate, clarification would be greatly appreciated.
[+]
 Sylph.Funkworkz
VIP
サーバ: Sylph
Game: FFXI
user: Funkworkz
By Sylph.Funkworkz 2020-03-20 08:58:05  
gtfo
[+]
By ashcrow 2020-03-20 09:18:20  
JP onry
By Odinz 2020-03-20 09:20:16  
how do you get FFXI to work on modern PCs ; ;?
Using GTX 1080 Ti and windows 10. can't get it to work.. its like I need a geologist except for relic games like FFXI ; ;
By Draylo 2020-03-20 09:20:51  
[+]
By ashcrow 2020-03-20 09:22:44  
Odinz said: »
Using GTX 1080 Ti and windows 10. can't get it to work.. its like I need a geologist except for relic games like FFXI ; ;
i dont have any issues i recently downloaded the game but through the official site download link
By Odinz 2020-03-20 09:36:28  
did you have to set it to comparability mode or something? or just download and autoplay?
By orangemanbad 2020-03-20 10:56:49  
billnes said: »
Hello all,

If someone here knows how the private servers and the GM-Only client works, it would be greatly appreciated if they would share their knowledge.

The following is a excerpt from the 2006 leaked GM manual. This text is found in section 7.9, pages 53-54. This section is entitled GM Commands.

Quote:
Within the GM Client, GM commands exist that common players cannot access. This feature allows the GMs to be able to transfer a character, change the running speed of a character, check the information of a character, and more. With these GM commands, GMs can rescue stuck players or respond to harassment or grief tactics. Although this function is necessary in GM operations, using the function in an inappropriate matter may result in negative influence within the game world. All GMs need to understand the function and purpose of using the GM commands. Please be very careful when using the GM commands.

Section 7.9 continues on to give a partial listing of the GM-Only Commands. This list is found on pages 54-55. There is a different section in this leaked manual about "forbidden commands". I decided to leave that out to stop this post from becoming too long.

It sees as if there must be a corresponding DLL for each one of the GM-Only commands. I'm using //gm reqpost <t> as an example. It seems fairly obvious that someplace within the installation of the GM-Only client there must be a reqpost.dll... If this is inaccurate, clarification would be greatly appreciated.

To the best of my understanding: For the GM-Only command DLL's to work, the character must be flagged as a GM. If a regular player, without the red GM flag acquired and correctly installed (copied them over to the correct directories) the DLL's still wouldn't work. Without a GM flag, correctly installed GM-Only command DLL's would still be locked and dormant. Again, if this is inaccurate, clarification would be greatly appreciated.

There is a hamster that runs on a wheel that produces electricity that produces the private server.
 Fenrir.Aladeus
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Aladeus
By Fenrir.Aladeus 2020-03-20 22:56:59  
google search will get you on your way, op. many servers out there that have instructions on how to get on to their servers. i've been on a couple. they serve the purpose of scratching the nostalgia itch, but there's a shitton of stuff that's broken on all of them. you get what you pay for basically. that being said, what was there was still fun for a bit.
 Valefor.Endoq
サーバ: Valefor
user: Endoq
By Valefor.Endoq 2020-03-21 02:25:46  
Quote:
How does private server work?
At the most basic level, a server is a repository for web pages that respond when someone requests a certain website. This 'request' is simply the act of entering the web address into a browser and hitting return.
A private server is a physical computer that you own and operate, and has all the operating systems, software and programs in place to provide essential services, including email. "Need a textbook definition?" A private server is a machine or virtual machine that is privately administrated.
[+]
 Bismarck.Xurion
サーバ: Bismarck
user: Xurion
By Bismarck.Xurion 2020-03-21 06:24:45  
or https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Server_(computing)
 Odin.Juliano
サーバ: Odin
user: Julian
By Odin.Juliano 2020-03-21 07:25:46  
God damn this place is full of idiots.

Private servers work by emulating what the real server does. They manage the server state (things happening like mobs spawning and moving), they keep and manage a database to store everything they need to store, and they interact with clients by sending and receiving & responding proper packets so that the client can interpret and display what it needs to for the game to work.

This isn't Ragnarok Online where the actual server files were leaked. Everything built is from scratch to emulate the way the server works, as described above.

Since we don't have access to GM commands, or since they require specific client files or changes that we don't have access to, GM commands have been built as custom commands that were scripted to do whatever they need to do. That means when a GM (known to the server by a field in the account table) use a GM command, which, by the way, is a !command that everyone can see (because if you type an unknown /command that the client itself rejects... The client doesn't send a packet for the server to intercept), the server picks that up and runs a script to accomplish that command.

TL;DR, this is not going to help you.

(Now, there -----may----- be some people who have worked on DSP, or more likely who have worked on windower, that -----may----- have some insight on this, but I highly doubt they will share that kind of knowledge.)
By Draylo 2020-03-21 07:27:19  
I used to love those Ragnarok Online p servers, they all had their own unique twist.
By billnes 2020-03-21 08:20:45  
Bismarck.Xurion said: »

OK... This was cool. Thanks!
[+]
By orangemanbad 2020-03-21 08:24:46  
How do magnets work.... ?

Magic ?
By billnes 2020-03-21 08:49:38  
Odin.Juliano said: »
God damn this place is full of idiots.

I wish you hadn't started off such an insightful posting this way, but so be it...

Quote:
Private servers work by emulating what the real server does. They manage the server state (things happening like mobs spawning and moving), they keep and manage a database to store everything they need to store, and they interact with clients by sending and receiving & responding proper packets so that the client can interpret and display what it needs to for the game to work.

Informative, but not exactly what I was looking for.

Quote:
This isn't Ragnarok Online where the actual server files were leaked. Everything built is from scratch to emulate the way the server works, as described above.

This is what I did not know. I was under the impression that Square-Enix's proprietary server-side software had been leaked to the public. I errantly thought that the operators of the private servers were using systems that were exact duplicates of the systems that Square-Enix employees were using.

Quote:
Since we don't have access to GM commands, or since they require specific client files or changes that we don't have access to, GM commands have been built as custom commands that were scripted to do whatever they need to do. That means when a GM (known to the server by a field in the account table) use a GM command, which, by the way, is a !command that everyone can see (because if you type an unknown /command that the client itself rejects... The client doesn't send a packet for the server to intercept), the server picks that up and runs a script to accomplish that command.

Literally rebuilding everything from scratch... Absolutely amazing and astonishing... I applaud you for your efforts.

Quote:
TL;DR, this is not going to help you.

(Now, there -----may----- be some people who have worked on DSP, or more likely who have worked on windower, that -----may----- have some insight on this, but I highly doubt they will share that kind of knowledge.)

Whatever... Nevermind... I have the information I wanted/needed. Thank you very much for taking the time to accommodate me. I assure you that it's greatly appreciated. I owe you a steak, a beer and so much more...
[+]
 Phoenix.Amael
サーバ: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Amael 2020-03-21 09:03:40  
Just research DarkStar Project which is the basis for all private servers.

https://wiki.dspt.info/index.php/Main_Page
By Aerix 2020-03-21 11:53:33  

Enable the legacy feature "DirectPlay".
By billnes 2020-03-21 13:01:07  
Aerix said: »

Enable the legacy feature "DirectPlay".

This is why I install and run Vana'deil Bench 3, before installing FFXI to a W10 system. When you launch VB3 for the first time, it automatically invokes the download/install of DirectPlay.
[+]