2010-06-21
New Items
users online
フォーラム » FFXI » General » New FFXI expansion crowdfund Idea
New FFXI expansion crowdfund Idea
First Page 2 3
By ksoze 2020-03-12 07:46:53  
Hey Guys,

Saw some discussions in the Monberaux topic and was thinking how can we give SE a good reason to create a new expansion.

It might be a world first, that the community stimulates the creation of a new expansion in a MMO.

The idea is this: the community together with SE would start a crowdfund campaign so SE can finance that expansion with.

If not enough ppl will buy the crowdfund it will not happen, so it will also measure the commitment of the community.

Because why not?
[+]
By Drayco 2020-03-12 08:19:45  
I already give them money every month.
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
By Pantafernando 2020-03-12 08:24:23  
Yes, thats a good idea.

Everyone deposit your donation on my bank account and iwill make sure its delivered in SE HQ
By ksoze 2020-03-12 08:26:21  
DirectX said: »
How much do you think it would cost them to develop something the size of ToAU? Probably >$1m.

I have no idea, this should be set by SE not the community.

The size of the Expansion is of course relative to the cost.

We all know that SE reads the ffxiah forums so you never know if this will lead to an open discussion if there is enough support.
[+]
By zigzagzig 2020-03-12 08:27:02  
fund ....... i pay every month , for the last 14 years.... they had enough money to move their ***......

Stupid idea ......

and there is more important matters before expension ...

Balance jobs / Wardrobes ....... then more content we need
[+]
By ksoze 2020-03-12 08:27:46  
Pantafernando said: »
Yes, thats a good idea.

Everyone deposit your donation on my bank account and iwill make sure its delivered in SE HQ

That should be done by SE of course you silly
By ksoze 2020-03-12 08:28:50  
zigzagzig said: »
fund ....... i pay every month , for the last 14 years.... they had enough money to move their ***......

Stupid idea ......

appreciate your feedback mate..
 Bismarck.Xurion
サーバ: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
user: Xurion
By Bismarck.Xurion 2020-03-12 08:36:35  
The fanboy side of me yearns for new story, areas, battles, jobs and music that come with an expansion.

However, they've recently stated they can't even add more wardrobes due to limitations. Unfortunately, an expansion is absolutely out of any reasonable expectation.
[+]
By ksoze 2020-03-12 08:39:27  
Bismarck.Xurion said: »
The fanboy side of me yearns for new story, areas, battles, jobs and music that come with an expansion.

However, they've recently stated they can't even add more wardrobes due to limitations. Unfortunately, an expansion is absolutely out of any reasonable expectation.

Oh, i've read about the wardrobes in the QA, but not the limitations of a new expansion. You sure?
 Cerberus.Hideka
サーバ: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Hideka 2020-03-12 08:54:49  
ksoze said: »
Bismarck.Xurion said: »

Oh, i've read about the wardrobes in the QA, but not the limitations of a new expansion. You sure?

iirc they said they cant add more wardrobes, but can possibly expand their size. Even another 20 slots across all wardrobes would be fantastic.

all in all im not adverse to a 30 dollar kickstarting effort to fund a full sized expansion (Remember they do charge money for most expansions). if they gave some kind of an open commitment to this, im sure people would probably be on board.

as long as they give us some assurances the money is going only to the development of FF11 rather than funding every other project they have in the wings.
 Sylph.Funkworkz
VIP
サーバ: Sylph
user: Funkworkz
By Sylph.Funkworkz 2020-03-12 09:02:56  
I am pretty sure crowdfunding was a question in a previous Q&A and they said no. I cannot find it at the moment.
 Phoenix.Enochroot
サーバ: Phoenix
user: enoch
By Phoenix.Enochroot 2020-03-12 09:03:10  
Cerberus.Hideka said: »
assurances the money is going only to the development of FF11 rather than funding every other project they have in the wings.

I was going to say "and ONLY the expansion and not the keep-holding-your-breath mobile version" but then it occurred to me...

if the player base was going to kickstart something, why limit it to an expansion? why not pay to port the engine to something modern so they can keep it going indefinitely? then you can add more expansions and all the other laundry list of QoL things we all want - more inv space, better AH experience, official HD pack, the works.

that's something i'd chip in for.
[+]
 Asura.Sechs
サーバ: Asura
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2020-03-12 09:09:01  
DirectX said: »
How much do you think it would cost them to develop something the size of ToAU? Probably >$1m.
wat
By Shichishito 2020-03-12 09:17:47  
i thought they can't make new content cause they ran out of PS2 kits?
[+]
By Meeble 2020-03-12 09:28:14  
I have no doubt the community could foot the bill for the cost of several new expansions, but cost is less of an issue than profit potential.

They have a limited quantity of staff and no shortage of projects for them to work on, almost all of which would be far more popular and profitable than a new XI expansion. Even if we all kicked in $100 each it wouldn't even come close to FFVII DLC money.
 Asura.Aeonova
user: aeonova
By Asura.Aeonova 2020-03-12 09:35:31  
SquareEnix is worth around $1,260,000,000.00.

They are not an indie game developer.

They already have their plans for the foreseeable future lined up.

I look forward to this thread being bumped for the foreseeable future; or at least through the weekend.

[+]
 Bahamut.Negan
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Negan
By Bahamut.Negan 2020-03-12 09:36:46  
A 75 cap server would be great. They need to make FFXI Classic instead of wardrobes and expansions.
[+]
 Asura.Aeonova
By Asura.Aeonova 2020-03-12 09:39:43  
Quality of life schmality of life.

In my day we walked to camps from cities. If you were in a party with someone that used an Outpost Warp, you knew they were hot ***and the 240 exp / kill chain 4s were gonna roll right in.
[+]
By ksoze 2020-03-12 09:43:29  
Meeble said: »
They have a limited quantity of staff and no shortage of projects for them to work on, almost all of which would be far more popular and profitable than a new XI expansion. Even if we all kicked in $100 each it wouldn't even come close to FFVII DLC money.

I have a feeling SE cares about the FFXI community.
If a kickstarter would make them able to hire a few ppl to work on a project within vanadiel to make sure their loyal fans are happy.
What do you think that is worth for SE as a brand?

Look at how Blizzard is *** it's community, just imagine the opposite for SE if they do this.

It's a great public relation stunt :p
 Bahamut.Negan
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Negan
By Bahamut.Negan 2020-03-12 09:47:01  
Blizzard did great. They created an Asura with WoW Classic so all the *** left BfA and went to pwn in Classic.
By apollocry 2020-03-12 09:52:20  
I don't think that people understand how huge of an ask this would be. This game was created on a PS2 dev kit, which they stated were mostly used up to create RoV. On top of that they would probably need to hire a new dev team and train those employees to work on a game that is almost 20 years old. I remember reading that most of their current employees don't know how to program for FFXI.
[+]
By ksoze 2020-03-12 10:00:03  
apollocry said: »
I don't think that people understand how huge of an ask this would be. This game was created on a PS2 dev kit, which they stated were mostly used up to create RoV. On top of that they would probably need to hire a new dev team and train those employees to work on a game that is almost 20 years old. I remember reading that most of their current employees don't know how to program for FFXI.

What is see is this:

- ambuscade
- omen
- dyna d
- odyssy
- aman trove
- new avatar
- new trusts
- etc

Why not make a lvl99 big abyssea expension. (with emp +3)
Looking at that list above, you could imagine it should be possible, not?

Post deleted by User.
[+]
By JoeRogan 2020-03-12 10:10:03  
They said they don't want to make anymore expansions, they said they want to continue to support the game with monthly patches and that's what they are doing. Escha, Reisenjima, High Tier Battlefields, Master Trials, Odyssey, Omen, AMAN, Story Quests, Missions, Dynamis D, Ambuscade among others were all added without an expansion.

I don't understand this desire for expansions all the time. If you want to support the game above and beyond what you currently pay, make new characters on your account and keep them paid for every month because the profitability of the game is what keeps them making content. If you don't, don't.

Drayco said: »
I already give them money every month.

Expansions aren't free, every expansion was bought in the past anyway.
[+]
 Asura.Aeonova
By Asura.Aeonova 2020-03-12 10:11:49  
As long as there are Nation Rank animations through Rank 15 Sandy/Windy/Basty in the dats, I'm expecting they have some ideas waiting in the wings. They /really/ didn't think this game would still have a fan-base by now (and likely expected every single person to jump ship for 14), but they have contingencies planned for such as: This game will never die, but it prints money so life-support-IV-food-drip them content and dangle that carrot of a mysterious 20th anniversary announcement!

The most /positive/ thing I've seen from SE in the last decade is them releasing info on Treasure Hunter. That kind of showed me that the old dinosaurs that were very much into keeping secrets and letting players "experience the joys of figuring things out and surprising themselves" are in the minority at this point and the current people in charge are just like: "*** it. We'll tell 'em some juicy stuff, but not every trick because we are tricker Japanese game developers and enjoy trolling with items like Pagodite, lulz".

https://www.bg-wiki.com/bg/Pagodite

I'd love to roam the lands of Rhazowa, Olzhirya, Zhwa, & Tsahya as well as summon Bahamut and Phoenix. When all that happens, then I will be happy (but people will still want even more).
 Bismarck.Gippali
サーバ: Bismarck
user: Gippali
By Bismarck.Gippali 2020-03-12 10:12:31  
Would rather have them focus on stuff currently in the game.

Also, "measure the commitment of the community"...lol

A large portion of us have been paying $20+ a month (not including transfers) for damn near 18yrs, what more commitment do we really need to show them?
[+]
 Odin.Creaucent
サーバ: Odin
user: Creaucent
By Odin.Creaucent 2020-03-12 10:19:21  
Money isnt the issue. I saw someone linked a quote on here about most SE staff think it's a dead end job at this point and just don't want to do it. Its finding people to actually develope the expansion on antiquated technology. Once again money isnt the issue for SE.
[+]
By Shichishito 2020-03-12 10:19:50  
Bismarck.Gippali said: »
what more commitment do we really need to show them?
how much control do ya all have over your gag reflex?
[+]

Post deleted by User.
First Page 2 3