users online
フォーラム » FFXI » General » Ffxi on macbook help/advice
Ffxi on macbook help/advice
 Cerberus.Zenal
サーバ: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
user: Zenal
By Cerberus.Zenal 2020-01-28 07:27:44  
Is there anyway to play ffxi on a 08 mac book? My best friend has expressed interest playing and I trying to get him on but dont know how to do so. She also bought it in steam but didnt realized is was PC only. Any help and advice is appreciated!
 Leviathan.Isiolia
サーバ: Leviathan
user: Isiolia
By Leviathan.Isiolia 2020-01-28 07:49:13  
I ran it on my old 2007 Macbook way back when via Boot Camp, which would likely be the realistic route to run it on your friend's computer. However, it doesn't run very well on the ancient Intel graphics that are in those. If at all possible, I would suggest looking for an old PC (or budget build) they could use for this (and other games).
[+]
 Sylph.Banhammer
サーバ: Sylph
user: Banhammer
By Sylph.Banhammer 2020-01-28 08:10:37  
Sell the lolMac for a real laptop.
[+]
 Asura.Reichleiu
サーバ: Asura
user: Reichleiu
By Asura.Reichleiu 2020-01-28 08:28:17  
I played this game for years on a bootcamped 08 macbook pro running windows 7

Game ran great, graphics were great

Your friend will need to bootcamp her mac and run a partition just for Windows. Then he'll have to install Windows on that partition. After that you should be fine.

The bigger problem will be age. I'm not sure how possible it will be to find an older Windows OS that will run on your machine.. but I might be wrong.

Long-run, it makes more sense to just run off to office depot and buy some $300 pc laptop dedicated to FFXI.

Something like this potato works fine

Buying an OS will cost half as much, but you need to make sure you find one that's compatible with an older machine – and you need to make sure you install and set up everything correctly
By Drayco 2020-01-28 08:35:23  
Sylph.Banhammer said: »
But then how will they fit in and identify with other people who spend more money for inferior technology?
[+]
 Asura.Reichleiu
user: Reichleiu
By Asura.Reichleiu 2020-01-28 08:57:38  
Drayco said: »
Sylph.Banhammer said: »
But then how will they fit in and identify with other people who spend more money for inferior technology?

Some of us are forced to have macbooks

I work at an ad agency and every computer we use is a mac – the programs we use run better on macs because that's what the programs were designed to run on.

Ever try using adobe creative suite on a PC? It's a nightmare compared to a mac. I know this because I had to do it for my first couple years in college before I could buy my own. The PC versions of these programs don't get nearly as much support as their mac counterparts. Individual programs will be missing features, missing commands, or not be supported at all – but we have to use these programs, so mac is the obvious choice for us.

It's not unique to mac focused programs either, the reverse is also true. Microsoft Office's mac OS version is so bad we all use office online instead. You can't do 1/4th of what you can do in outlook for PC on the mac OS version. We sometimes have to boot up parallels to access full use of the desktop version of Office.

I wish I could just use one computer for everything – but I can't, and my need to make money overrules my desire for a more powerful PC for gaming.

I will say this though.. the UX of Mac OS blows Windows out of the water. Everything is effortless and smooth, and just doing something simple like finding and moving files feels much better on Mac OS than Windows.
[+]
By Shichishito 2020-01-28 09:18:29  
Asura.Reichleiu said: »
Ever try using adobe creative suite on a PC? It's a nightmare compared to a mac. I know this because I had to do it for my first couple years in college before I could buy my own. The PC versions of these programs don't get nearly as much support as their mac counterparts. Individual programs will be missing features, missing commands, or not be supported at all

could you name a couple of examples of missing features?
[+]
 Bismarck.Xurion
サーバ: Bismarck
user: Xurion
By Bismarck.Xurion 2020-01-28 09:23:23  
Bootcamp is the only real way to get a real experience on Mac. It is even supported/out of the box on OSX.

Be aware that Macs burn hot with any kind of 3D rendering. I use to play on my old Mac on the train on the way to work and it was like a heater.
[+]
 Bahamut.Celebrindal
サーバ: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Celebrindal 2020-01-28 09:31:16  
@Reichleiu is completely right about at times being forced to use AppleOS/Mac products. In the Arts world some software was first designed for Apple and Mac before PC, and to this day is still a "better" product on the original platform.

As a musician, original versions of Pyware, Finale, and Sibelius all were for AppleOS. And while PC versions exist today, MANY still prefer the original platform because of layout familiarity or just better compatibility...I swear you'd think that musicians were unable to hire at least a FEW tech people to just rewrite their software from the ground up vs creating messy ported versions.

This outdated concept of "Artists use Apple" goes all the way back to the Apple IIGS, and a mid-80s belief that PCs were for the geeks, and Apple products were more intuitive, therefore better suited for artists. Its of course rubbish, but old stereotypes last among Luddites like artists :)
 Leviathan.Isiolia
By Leviathan.Isiolia 2020-01-28 10:11:47  
Bahamut.Celebrindal said: »
This outdated concept of "Artists use Apple" goes all the way back to the Apple IIGS, and a mid-80s belief that PCs were for the geeks, and Apple products were more intuitive, therefore better suited for artists. Its of course rubbish, but old stereotypes last among Luddites like artists :)

At times, it has been true. Desktop publishing was Mac focused at the start because the Macintosh hardware was literally the first to really offer it in a mainstream product. 72dpi CRT screen to 144dpi Apple printer and actual what you see is what you get screen to printed page. So, like you mentioned, a lot of early products and standards were Mac centric, and in turn, Apple integrated font support/etc that catered to it.

I'd assume that, at times, you had similar support or compatibility with music software. Or, say, Video Toaster on Amiga for early 3D/compositing on a realistic budget.

Decades later, the technical reasons are often much less, but the bias may still be around.
[+]
 Bahamut.Celebrindal
By Bahamut.Celebrindal 2020-01-28 10:50:50  
Leviathan.Isiolia said: »
Bahamut.Celebrindal said: »

At times, it has been true. Desktop publishing was Mac focused at the start because the Macintosh hardware was literally the first to really offer it in a mainstream product. 72dpi CRT screen to 144dpi Apple printer and actual what you see is what you get screen to printed page. So, like you mentioned, a lot of early products and standards were Mac centric, and in turn, Apple integrated font support/etc that catered to it.

I'd assume that, at times, you had similar support or compatibility with music software. Or, say, Video Toaster on Amiga for early 3D/compositing on a realistic budget.

Decades later, the technical reasons are often much less, but the bias may still be around.

Nailed it. The biggest reason for the continuation of that bias isn't the flaws in software for PC any more, but because of the codification of the market...artists for a long time resisted the influence of technology on their world, until more recent generations embraced it. As such, the FIRST products that were released in the music world for Mac are still seen as the "pure" versions.

It does surprise me that producing software for both OS's isn't just industry standard any more. I'm sure the reasons are a lot more complex than I could ever expect, but it does seem silly to exclude a segment of society from potential buyers.
By Shichishito 2020-01-28 11:32:49  
i assume windows is the far more common OS so thats what most develope for first and a lot of times only port it to other OS if it proves to be a big success.

apple hasn't done anything decent for the desktop market in the past 15-20 years, at least not that i know of. most recent headline about apple desktops i can remember is charging 1000 bucks for a monitor stand.
 Cerberus.Zenal
サーバ: Cerberus
user: Zenal
By Cerberus.Zenal 2020-01-28 11:36:38  
Ok I'll do some research on bootcamp, push comes to shove I'll just look for a pc. I'm sure a many cheap PC nowadays can run a 20yo game.
[+]
 Asura.Arico
user: Tename
By Asura.Arico 2020-01-28 13:00:19  
Apple is also unix. So in any field where you need unix, but don't need a specific linux distribution, Apple is a great choice.

Also if you know a bit of C/C++(most of the time) some Linux/Apple specific software can be made to work on one another with minimal-ish effort. That isn't the case when you throw a PC into the mix.

The Mac has its place. Tens of millions of people aren't just rich sheeple.

To answer your original question, no, you're not getting FFXI working on a mac without using bootcamp to run Windows.
By Sidiov 2020-01-28 14:17:23  
Asura.Arico said: »
To answer your original question, no, you're not getting FFXI working on a mac without using bootcamp to run Windows.
Just want to point out this isn't true, it's not terribly complex to run FFXI on a mac with winehq, there are a few guides on how to do it, and it works pretty well.
The catch is you will be using Ashita not Windower(4) (I havent tested windower v5 on Mac yet, but it does work fine in Linux, so probably can be used).

edit: found the link I used a while back
sorryitsonnasomi
 Leviathan.Isiolia
By Leviathan.Isiolia 2020-01-28 14:40:49  
Sidiov said: »
Just want to point out this isn't true, it's not terribly complex to run FFXI on a mac with winehq, there are a few guides on how to do it, and it works pretty well.
The catch is you will be using Ashita not Windower(4) (I havent tested windower v5 on Mac yet, but it does work fine in Linux, so probably can be used).

A VM setup could likely work as well.

I think though, in the case of the OP's friend, that their machine is simply too old to go that route. Wine requires at least 10.8, which dropped support for the 2008 Macbook (but not the Pro - that wasn't dropped until 10.11).

If they start looking at spending much money at all to improve that, the logical thing is to just replace it outright. A several year newer Dell Latitude or something would still be sub-$100, even if they'd still be using integrated graphics.
 Asura.Arico
user: Tename
By Asura.Arico 2020-01-28 16:35:12  
Sidiov said: »

edit: found the link I used a while back
sorryitsonnasomi

You're right. I didn't think wine was supported on macs that old. My mistake.
By Sidiov 2020-01-28 19:07:26  
Leviathan.Isiolia said: »
Wine requires at least 10.8, which dropped support for the 2008 Macbook (but not the Pro - that wasn't dropped until 10.11).
Good point, just pulled out one of our ancient C2Ds for fun and it does not go past 10.7.5 even. I hadnt even thought about that.
Also agree that a 12 year Macbook can be bested by a $300 windows laptop which gives you a world of additional games to play.

e right. I didn't think wine was supported on macs that old. My mistake.
and nope. you were right, i didnt think about what OS was supported on those old ones.
 Asura.Airoh
user: Anjou
By Asura.Airoh 2020-01-28 22:20:08  
Bootcamp is definitely the way to go. Windower is a huge quality of life improvement, especially when playing on a macbook. My macbook has no F(1-12) keys so I play with a controller and windower makes things so much easier.

As others have said, though, it runs best on a windows pc and with dgvoodoo, ffxi actually looks really good. Dgvoodoo allows newer nvidia graphics card to work for ffxi so it looks ridiculously smooth(shameless plug; looks great in ultrawide too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7MWT3JHzO4&t=62s)
By zigzagzig 2020-01-29 00:18:23  
Buy an Apple Sticker , stick it on a Pc laptop.... Done
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Portario
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
By Quetzalcoatl.Portario 2020-02-11 08:27:30  
Just going to add to the chorus and say that Bootcamp is the way to go. Emulation is possible, but not worth the hassle, in my experience.

Also, oh my god everybody. I knew before I even opened the thread that there would be a ridiculous Mac vs PC argument. Really helpful, guys!
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [468 days between previous and next post]
 Bahamut.Balduran
user: balduran
By Bahamut.Balduran 2021-05-24 07:47:31  
Planning to be out of town for a long-term duration, so after reading looks like Bootcamp is the way to go for FFXI on a Macbook Pro.

My question is, does FFXI run into the same issues with mobile GPUs on MAC the same way it does on non-mac laptops, will I need DGVoodoo and would it work? I'd very much like to have DGVoodoo at least for the improvement in visuals, specially with Kenshi's mods.

Appreciate any feedback!
By Jetackuu 2021-05-24 08:37:28  
If the mac only has an intelhd chip, you're boned.