Advice On Most Useful Jobs.

言語: JP EN DE FR
2010-06-21
New Items
users online
フォーラム » FFXI » General » Advice on most useful jobs.
Advice on most useful jobs.
First Page 2 3
By Drayco 2020-01-20 08:41:02  
I've been main job drk for a long time. I have several other jobs decently geared up, but I've been thinking of focusing on a second "main" job since my Drk is getting close to completely BiS.

I want something that will be more useful in more situations. I have decently geared smn and could finish Nirvana, but everybody has that these days.

Cor and Rdm are pretty high on my list. What are everyone's thoughts on most sought after jobs?
 Phoenix.Oyama
サーバ: Phoenix
Game: FFXI
user: oyama
By Phoenix.Oyama 2020-01-20 08:45:27  
Any of BRD/GEO/COR.
[+]
By DononofSylph 2020-01-20 08:47:25  
Easiest job to gear for that doesn't need a REMA is WHM. That job is always sought after for most content and doesn't take much brain power to do.

Are you quick with cures? You can do it.
Do you know how to quickly hit the -na spells? You can do it.
Can you haste? You can do it.

If you can those three, you are probably a top tier WHM compared to most.
[+]
 Bismarck.Xurion
サーバ: Bismarck
user: Xurion
By Bismarck.Xurion 2020-01-20 08:50:03  
Your budget may inform your decision. BRD is the highest cost afaik. I'm not a GEO but I think GEO is cheaper to gear than a COR, factoring in REMA/SU5.
[+]
By kishr 2020-01-20 09:02:43  
I like to use for dd sam/thf/nin/war/cor then mage smn/geo
Which is best? Doesn't matter, find something you like.
[+]
 Asura.Sechs
サーバ: Asura
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2020-01-20 09:26:40  
Bismarck.Xurion said: »
Your budget may inform your decision. BRD is the highest cost afaik. I'm not a GEO but I think GEO is cheaper to gear than a COR, factoring in REMA/SU5.
Brd has got to be the most rmea demanding job of them all ?
[+]
By kishr 2020-01-20 09:42:33  
@sech nirv irdris right?
 Leviathan.Andret
サーバ: Leviathan
user: Andret
By Leviathan.Andret 2020-01-20 09:51:49  
Whm. Probably the only job you really need in almost all situation.
[+]
 Bahamut.Celebrindal
サーバ: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Celebrindal 2020-01-20 09:52:08  
Asura.Sechs said: »
Bismarck.Xurion said: »
Brd has got to be the most rmea demanding job of them all ?

Its requires MANY, but I wouldn't for a second consider it an expensive job, unless you plan on building a DD bard on top of a top-tier singer.

The 3 "required" RMEAs for a Bard- Gjallarhorn, Duardabla, and Marsyas- not only dont' need to go through any Afterglowing or RP'ing...they simply cannot be upgraded. In addition, if only looking for a song macro piece for duration, you needn't upgrade even their 4th RMEA, the Carnwenhan, is functional without afterglow/RP'ing.

Their gear, outside of a small handful of pieces, is rare/ex. JSE, augmented Gendewitha+1, and the like. The Su3 set for BRD is exceedingly niche. Their +2 neck is strictly a melee piece. And their Su5 piece is either a faster DD option compared to building a Carn but also a weaker one...or an unnecessary song casting time piece that can be matched with other gear options (in the same was that the FastCast on a RDM's Crocea Mors isn't necessary to cap for them).

So if you're "buying" your RMEAs, yes, you'll need to "buy" several of them vs just tossing your visa at a Chango and think you're boss. Or you can just spend time. I know, a strange concept- playing the game vs paying someone to play it for you. But if you look at the cost of gearing up BRD to a high level endgame Bard, it is absolutely minuscule compared to gearing up Corsair, Red Mage, Dark Knight, and many others.
 Asura.Vienner
By Asura.Vienner 2020-01-20 10:05:22  
Lets add that most people suck at brd or whm. Easy way to shine if you're serious, what fun is there in being average?
[+]
By Drayco 2020-01-20 10:14:25  
My 2nd char has whm brd and sch all decently geared... It would be hard for me to pick one of those to gear on my main char.

I'm seeing that nobody is mentioning rdm. I know with Crocea Mors now, rdm has become this white dmg monster that excels at some nich events. Is rdm picked last for end game stuff these days?

REMA isn't an issue as I want to pick a job and focus on building REMA for that one. Since finishing my crafting shield, I feel a bit lost since I'm not "working" towards something right now.
By Afania 2020-01-20 10:27:52  
Drayco said: »
My 2nd char has whm brd and sch all decently geared... It would be hard for me to pick one of those to gear on my main char.

I'm seeing that nobody is mentioning rdm. I know with Crocea Mors now, rdm has become this white dmg monster that excels at some nich events. Is rdm picked last for end game stuff these days?

REMA isn't an issue as I want to pick a job and focus on building REMA for that one. Since finishing my crafting shield, I feel a bit lost since I'm not "working" towards something right now.

COR works in every single setup, also if you are looking for a good reason to burn your gil a cor with every single r15 rema and all 3 su5 is crazy strong in dynamics D.
[+]
 Phoenix.Tearxx
user: Tearxx
By Phoenix.Tearxx 2020-01-20 10:28:07  
I think a major question that's being overlooked is how much inventory do you want to invest and how epeen do you want to be? If you have the inventory space, don't care about gil, and want to be as good as possible, BRD or COR both have some overlap with the smashystab the DRK does. If you want to get away from physically hitting things, go GEO or WHM. If you want both flavors, go RDM. At this stage you're looking at about the same amount of gil and time to make it super, except for BRD which might take a little longer due to at minimum needing the 3 REMAs, with the 4th being insanely nice.
[+]
 Bahamut.Celebrindal
By Bahamut.Celebrindal 2020-01-20 10:28:47  

The RDMs that get to play the job to its fullest are often long veterans of the job, BiS or near-BiS everywhere, and have more than just a Crocea. You need to be incredibly familiar with how to play the job solo, small-man, and full alliance setup. And ANY RDM is still going to be expected to maintain alliance wide Haste2 or Flurry2 cycle depending on the setup, Refresh3 for their own party, have absolute top-tier enfeebling sets, and be just as fast as a WHM with single target cures.

You'll also need to be well versed using a variety of subjobs. Just because Crocea Mors changed RDM so much doesn't mean you can live on /NIN or /DNC....you'll still need to "pink mage" it now and then (RDM/WHM), be a capable burster/stunner while /BLM, and properly use /SCH when needed vs /WHM.

Its an amazing job- honestly my first love, and one I'm starting the affair with all over these days. But the odds of you getting to come RDM to high level endgame events aren't always the best. Most groups aren't gonna give up a DD slot to a RDM, and you can't replace a WHM. Your BEST way to get on RDM in an endgame alliance situation is to be part of the tank party, and Haste2 all DDs in the alliance so that your Bards can change song setup to better serve the entire group. In those situations you'll probably "replace" the traditional GEO or COR slot (likely the latter) in a Tank party. But like I said- you won't be able to focus on that great white damage you mention. You'll fit in your damage while possible as a secondary benefit above and beyond your real duties: Haste/Flurry/Refresh, backup single target curing, and enfeebles.
[+]
By Drayco 2020-01-20 10:42:38  
Bahamut.Celebrindal said: »

The RDMs that get to play the job to its fullest are often long veterans of the job, BiS or near-BiS everywhere, and have more than just a Crocea. You need to be incredibly familiar with how to play the job solo, small-man, and full alliance setup. And ANY RDM is still going to be expected to maintain alliance wide Haste2 or Flurry2 cycle depending on the setup, Refresh3 for their own party, have absolute top-tier enfeebling sets, and be just as fast as a WHM with single target cures.

You'll also need to be well versed using a variety of subjobs. Just because Crocea Mors changed RDM so much doesn't mean you can live on /NIN or /DNC....you'll still need to "pink mage" it now and then (RDM/WHM), be a capable burster/stunner while /BLM, and properly use /SCH when needed vs /WHM.

Its an amazing job- honestly my first love, and one I'm starting the affair with all over these days. But the odds of you getting to come RDM to high level endgame events aren't always the best. Most groups aren't gonna give up a DD slot to a RDM, and you can't replace a WHM. Your BEST way to get on RDM in an endgame alliance situation is to be part of the tank party, and Haste2 all DDs in the alliance so that your Bards can change song setup to better serve the entire group. In those situations you'll probably "replace" the traditional GEO or COR slot (likely the latter) in a Tank party. But like I said- you won't be able to focus on that great white damage you mention. You'll fit in your damage while possible as a secondary benefit above and beyond your real duties: Haste/Flurry/Refresh, backup single target curing, and enfeebles.

I wasn't mentioning Crocea Mors because I want to be a DD. I was mentioning it because you see hundreds of RDMs running around these days.

I definitely want to get away from a job anything like Drk. I ask about COR because I've always loved RNG, but I don't want to gear another DD job.

I feel like I need something fresh... hard as that is to do in a game I've been playing for 17 years and have all jobs 99 lmao.
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2020-01-20 10:44:57  
RDM's are godly in alliance content, and no they aren't brought for their damage. Even with a fully upgraded Cros RDM's damage isn't near a NIN or THF, much less the heavy DD's like WAR/SAM/DRK/MNK/DRG, so no one is gonna drop one of those guys for you. Like Cele said, the RDM fits extremely well in a tank party where it can support the alliance while also debuffing boss monsters. I've tried main healing a DD party before, it's very hit and miss though because there is no instant answer to large AoE damage.

RDM's melee damage is mostly for solo / special stuff where its multi-role nature can shine.
[+]
 Bahamut.Celebrindal
By Bahamut.Celebrindal 2020-01-20 10:49:26  
I have a bad habit of using the generic "you" in conversations and it being taken as a specific "you". This is one of those cases...my comments were certainly not directed at you personally- my apologies.

Yeah, a TON of people are running around with it- both those who play the job fully as well as those who think they only need a Crocea to be a relevant RDM. And it IS insane- completely changes HOW you play RDM no doubt...just saddens me that some have started playing RDM as a pure DD that only buffs ITSELF and casts Dia3, when the job is so vibrant and capable these days. And if you've been playing as long as many of us have, taking on a job like RDM in the current climate might be just the thing you need for "something fresh".

Best of luck on your choice and voyage. It definitely comes across that you're looking for a new challenge, not just "what should I gear up to get invites". And that's a great thing.
[+]
 Valefor.Gorns
サーバ: Valefor
user: Gorns
By Valefor.Gorns 2020-01-20 10:59:46  

This.
But it also means that if you're serious about having a true '2nd main', getting RDM to top notch level with all the skills & knowledge that shall come with the job is a very rewarding journey, with a feeling of completion you don't always have when leveling and gearing a job (like WAR for example: very easy to level, gear .. and play).

RDM is a job that would extend your in-game projects with various gearsets (DD, healer, nuker, enfeebler, buffer) and play-styles objectives (solo, lowman, allaince : your role can vary significantly depending with who you gonna play)
[+]
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2020-01-20 11:04:26  
RDM's can literally do *everything* in the game, they can heal, buff, debuff, nuke, melee, SC and pseudo-tank. There really isn't a role they don't have some level of aptitude at, thought only buffing and debuffing could they be consider masters and their buffs are situational and mostly self focused. To play a RDM properly you need all the gear WHM needs, plus all the gear BLM needs, plus all the gear WAR needs and then some situational stuff thrown on top. So lots of gear, thankfully you don't need any REMAs like everyone else does.
[+]
 Caitsith.Mahayaya
サーバ: Caitsith
user: Trebold
By Caitsith.Mahayaya 2020-01-20 11:57:31  
I'd say go COR over RDM. You said you wanted something useful in more situations and nearly every party or alliance content will want a COR and BRD in most parties if possible. An alliance might bring one RDM, a party event may not even bring one, but every party wants 4 songs and COR rolls if they had the choice, even a tank party.
[+]
By Afania 2020-01-20 12:12:09  

I wasn't mentioning Crocea Mors because I want to be a DD. I was mentioning it because you see hundreds of RDMs running around these days.

I definitely want to get away from a job anything like Drk. I ask about COR because I've always loved RNG, but I don't want to gear another DD job.

I feel like I need something fresh... hard as that is to do in a game I've been playing for 17 years and have all jobs 99 lmao.

COR is indeed very "DD" these days, on the other hand rdm is a lot more unique when it comes to job roles. It's a little bit of everything with some twists.

That being said, if you want to play rdm in every setup you can still make it work if you really try. Make more friends, make your parties etc.

Many people claim that rdm is "bad" in 6 man pt but I've make it work in 6 man pt just fine WAY before rdm buffs. Such as taking healers role with geo assist heal or take on DD role utilizing multistep SCs + inundation. Adjust buffs based on what rdm can do (for example distract 3 and haste 2 completely changes optimal brd buffs).

You just have to build your entire setup and strategy based on rdm's strength then it will work.
 Bahamut.Balduran
user: balduran
By Bahamut.Balduran 2020-01-20 12:52:25  
DononofSylph said: »
Easiest job to gear for that doesn't need a REMA is WHM. That job is always sought after for most content and doesn't take much brain power to do.

Are you quick with cures? You can do it.
Do you know how to quickly hit the -na spells? You can do it.
Can you haste? You can do it.

If you can those three, you are probably a top tier WHM compared to most.

I would like to point out that enhancement magic skill is also crucial for a White Mage, unfortunately many of which I've played with do not have their enhancing sets capped.

In last month's Ambuscade (4 Goblins) for example, the difference was quite noticeable when a WHM with an enhancement set below the cap would cast Barparalyze or Barthunder, the amount of stuns and paralyze was dreadful. While a WHM that would boost the resistance to 230+ would make all the difference in the world for that fight (or any battle with high status ailments) with barely any paralyze or stun noticeable.

As for a REMA, in my own humble opinion, I really wouldn't say that WHM 'doesn't need a Yagrush'. Any decent WHM that wants to step up their game should ultimately strive to obtain a Yagrush for their healing career.

Easy to gear? (hmmm..Stikini +1, HQ Kaykus both come to mind) I'll give you that if you say so, but there is a fine line between easy to gear and not much brain power, WHM is one of the most difficult jobs in the game to play.
[+]
 Asura.Sechs
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2020-01-20 14:49:43  
[cut]
"You don't really need a lot of gear"
Yeah your way of reasoning for BRD in this example makes perfect sense, but the point is you can apply the same logic for every job.
We all "require" things and take them for granted.
At the same time most of us know that RMEAs aren't really required to complete content, likewise with BiS gear.

What I'm trying to say is: yes, you're right, but this goes for every job.

Realistically though, BRDs have a lot of pressure on them. Not one but so many RMEAs.
Yeah 3 you don't require to afterglow (you can, actually, but it's just not necessary) but still, it's a lot of work.

You didn't consider song precast/fastcast gear. Necessary to a certain extent.
Macc gear to land songs, necessary.
Song duration gear? Necessary.
Song boosting gear? Necessary. (among which there's a necklace which used to be pretty expensive. It's relatively cheap now but mine took ~400mils for instance xD)

Think about the sets used for landing Long-lasting sleeps in some fights.

Meleeing? If this were 2012 I would say "meh, niche for just a bunch of really dedicated bards". Nowadays? Having at least a generic melee set is pretty necessary for one who wants to use BRD as a job and not just as a song-casting-then-afk mule.
(situation for which, arguably, Carnwenhan is more useful than for a non-mule BRD :-P)

So yeah, I stand by my point that BRD is quite intensive in the gear it requires.
COR is too if you wanna play the job properly and not being a roll-only one, which you shouldn't if you ask me.

GEO uhm... I'd say it's easier to gear up than either BRD or COR, imho.
Especially if you have other mages like RDM, BLM or SCH, you're going to share a lot of gear.
[+]
By Drayco 2020-01-20 15:00:02  
Especially if you have other mages like RDM, BLM or SCH, you're going to share a lot of gear.
That's a pretty fair point, which I do have geared up. My Geo has all the stuff for 900+ too, but it seems that everybody has a pocket iGeo these days. I also find Geo to be a very boring job for some reason.
 Valefor.Yandaime
user: Yandaime
By Valefor.Yandaime 2020-01-20 15:20:51  
The issue with GEO is that no one will touch it without Idris. It’s not even required for most events but that’s just how it is. And Idris is under a 6-month time gate from Coalition Imperatives :(.

BRD basically mandates 99G-Horn, and HQ Neck and 3 songs otherwise you’re literally better replaced with a Dunna-GEO. Once you have these and Aeonic and 99 Daurdaur, you’re now cooking with gas. Even better if Mythic. But lately there’ve been more and more demands for full REMA AND DD Capable so in my opinion BRD life is rewarding but kinda rough lol.

COR is amazing and usually cannot be overlooked for its support power to boost itself and the party (sometimes hilariously) and, just like everyone said before me, once it’s geared up with some REMA thrown on it, it’s an absolute *** for multiple types of DPS. Should be very fun.

WHM doesn’t require much, good attention, capped Cure Potency, Empy Legs and Empy Body, and some good Cure Potency II and strong Cursna set. But I will say Yagrush is one of the most impressive things I’ve ever unlocked in this game. I put it on my mule and it’s amazing for status removal.

Added thought, any thoughts on RUN? It’d be familiar to the DRK life but Defense heavy vs Offense and can easily do both. And everyone loves a good tank.
By fonewear 2020-01-20 15:34:13  
The only useful job is Black Mage every other job is pointless.
[+]
 Valefor.Yandaime
user: Yandaime
By Valefor.Yandaime 2020-01-20 15:37:29  
fonewear said: »
The only useful job is Black Mage every other job is pointless.
Lol

On a serious note I do miss playing BLM. I want to say SE should remove the Burst Damage penalties? Buuuuutttt, that could easily usher in an era of BLM burning the SMNs could only dream of lol.
[+]
 Asura.Botosi
user: Botosi
By Asura.Botosi 2020-01-20 15:40:44  
As a fellow DRK, I'd say RDM offers a nice balance. It's extremely fun and versatile and when you get a BiS enfeebling set it gets even better. COR is decent, but at the end of the day is just another DD job.

RUN is a nice alternative. I've always liked being able to DD or tank things depending on whats necessary.
[+]
 Phoenix.Tearxx
user: Tearxx
By Phoenix.Tearxx 2020-01-20 16:36:30  
That's a pretty fair point, which I do have geared up. My Geo has all the stuff for 900+ too, but it seems that everybody has a pocket iGeo these days. I also find Geo to be a very boring job for some reason.

GEO once bubbles are down can do a lot of the stuff a RDM can do but worse. I usually toss enfeebs/cures/nukes/etc depending on the situation. Can make it more interesting if you're willing to do something other than just blow bubbles.
[+]
First Page 2 3