Building An Elemental Staff For A Friend.

言語: JP EN DE FR
2010-06-21
New Items
users online
フォーラム » Everything Else » Fan-Art » building an elemental staff for a friend.
building an elemental staff for a friend.
 Bismarck.Danz
サーバ: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
user: danz
By Bismarck.Danz 2019-12-31 22:08:56  
so i'm some what familiar with some 3d design. i found i can export game files. i plan to do some editing to the raw file to make it more presentable in real life because. you know. poles don't have 4 sides... here are some images iv taken along the designing process.

raw as is in game

in sketchup with gem removed

messing around with sketchup. you can do some cool stuff!

realized how low poly it is. and doing some touch ups.

even more touch ups to make it "cleaner" for the 3d printer.

the only issue i have is scaling. there is no real scale. if i where to print it to the scale it was imported. the gem would be 70mm wide. and a glass ball 70mm wide is HEAVY! i have a 50mm one that is very reasonable in size/weight.

however if i where to scale the handle to match it would only be 3/4 inch thick. (about the diameter as a broom handle

i plan to use brass fill for printing the head itself. and that is where another issue lies with making it to scale as imported.
1. it wouldn't fit on the print bed
2. bronze fill filament is NOT cheap.

does anybody know how accurate the scale of which items are imported from Noesis is?

does the 50mm gem look alright or a little too small?

Update 1 ----------------------------------------------

update: first test print. this is at %50 of scale directly imported. appaerntly this thing is HUGE...

Update 1.1 --------------------------------------------

got my print home to compare the sizes. the stick/staff part fits pefectly as expected. i was thinking of using proto putty to make the orb snug. but there just WAY too much empty space. i ether have to buy a larger orb or make the model a little different than the original and shrink the head a bit.

update 1.2

now with more curves! just need to re-do the part that the pole goes in and somehow... add the details.

update 1.cheapchinesefilamentsucks

i bought some "bronze fill" from ebay and... theres next to no bronze fill. it has a nice color. but it dosn't "polish" like bronze should with brasso. and has ZERO metal properties. not conductive. doesn't have the weight and feel even though the ebay listing specifically claims that it does.

update 1.ohmygawditsbig!

also. the gem i have isn't big enough or i would have to make it increadably un-lifelike small. so i bought what i thought was going to be a 60mm one.. turns out i ordered an 80mm... its... HUGE!
 Valefor.Maurauc
サーバ: Valefor
user: Maurauc
By Valefor.Maurauc 2020-01-03 10:58:18  
Don't know if you've seen it before, but Volpin Props took a good stab at a Light Staff years ago.

http://www.volpinprops.com/light-staff-final-fantasy-xi-2/

And yes, their orb was huge.
[+]
 Bismarck.Snprphnx
user: Snprphnx
By Bismarck.Snprphnx 2020-01-03 11:27:31  
That one from Volpin Props looks great!
 Cerberus.Drayco
サーバ: Cerberus
user: Drayco
By Cerberus.Drayco 2020-01-03 14:10:49  
I've been working on the same thing. I've got the staff head modeled nicely and 3D printed it out. My issue is I don't know how to model the decorative work on the staff, so it's been on hold a bit.
 Bismarck.Danz
By Bismarck.Danz 2020-01-03 14:18:45  
Valefor.Maurauc said: »
Don't know if you've seen it before, but Volpin Props took a good stab at a Light Staff years ago.

http://www.volpinprops.com/light-staff-final-fantasy-xi-2/

And yes, their orb was huge.

wow! suddenly my project seems insignificant... still gonna build it. but i don't think its going to hold a candle light in terms of detail. i had plans on adding some detail on the final print. but that was once i got all the scaling and fit right.
 Valefor.Maurauc
サーバ: Valefor
user: Maurauc
By Valefor.Maurauc 2020-01-03 15:08:56  
Bismarck.Danz said: »

wow! suddenly my project seems insignificant... still gonna build it. but i don't think its going to hold a candle light in terms of detail. i had plans on adding some detail on the final print. but that was once i got all the scaling and fit right.

I wouldn't worry. They're a professional prop-makers and cosplay creator, so just make what you have look great! I think going from the in-game models is a great start. If it's designed to be wielded, making it a comfortable size is a good idea, which would probably reduce the orb size somewhat.
 Bismarck.Danz
By Bismarck.Danz 2020-01-06 17:57:37  
anyone that has experance messing with metal filled 3d print filament your suggestions are welcome... i'm not having much luck as posted in the original post. same settings with the non bronze filled stuff produces amazing prints.