Asura.Vienner
サーバ: Asura
Game: FFXI
By Asura.Vienner 2019-12-21 15:18:28  
kireek said: »
Asura.Vienner said: »
Asura.Saevel said: »
Asura.Vienner said: »
This far im halfway episode two and this far I like it.

Biggest reason for people to not watch it. If they did it right then this poster should be screaming for blood. We know something is bad when SJW's approve.
I wonder why I would be concidered a social justice warrior, Perspective here is different then where you live. Aside of the things on which we disagree there probably also are many things on which we do agree, of course its more fun to poke that stick in places where you think it might trigger a reaction

This is a thread about the witcher series, yet "some" decided to turn it into a leftwing feminism thread.

I gave my opinion on the show that I watched (the feminist aspect was just one part), if you didn't like it you didn't have to engage with my post, or at least not engage with that part of it. Talking about that is a valid aspect of discussion, since the writers have talked about it.

You can agree, disagree, or not engage with it at all but just cause you don't like it doesn't mean people can't bring it up. So yes "some" did bring it up, but you decided you wanted to engage with it.

For me, I've seen to many shows and movies ruined by OTT feminism that I'm pretty damn sick of it at this point.
I'm really not sure where you're going at with quoting all this. Course a forum is a place to agree and disagree? I need to let someone call me a SJW and not react to it in the light of where this discussion was going? this discussion in which I only metioned I did not see the feminist tone in the series and (as a reader of the books) they stayed true to the strong female roles as originally written.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
 Quetzalcoatl.Kyren
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
user: rada
By Quetzalcoatl.Kyren 2019-12-21 18:26:17  
A show needs to be believable and I would call it out if it was some little dude just the same as some little woman, this is not believable and they don't even try to do the bare minimum to make it so (as the Mandalorian did)

SimonSes said: »
The dialogue is terrible, the desperation to be a budget GoT, the fixation on the female characters over the main character (especially in ep2), the super powered 100lb women in it etc and the way they talk.

Geralt is 220-240lbs, a witcher and has had mutagens applied to him when he was a boy to increase his strength, stamina etc He has witcher powers. He could kick the *** of a guy twice his size in seconds.

She is a girl, a 150lbs girl with sword training and that talks like she is the rock.

So wait, you can handle the elves, magic, demons and monsters but a girl keeping up with a witcher is too much fantasy in a fantasy show? You missed the whole point of that arc sweetie. The writers needed a way to establish that the witcher wasn't some butcher-for-hire (like 99% of this world thinks they are), but someone who considers all their options. He was literally trying not to kill her at all until she forced his hand when there was no other option.

I'm an old school Witcher fan, but I'm gonna wait and see what they do with it. The last thing I need is to have my experience ruined by some SJW LGBTWTFBBQO propaganda shoved down my throat. Geralt was naturally a super masculine character almost in a mad-max kind of way.

I'm hella gay so I don't need titties shoved in my face every other scene ruining my experience. SHOW ME SOME FAT ***!
[+]
By Jetackuu 2019-12-21 18:35:27  
Quetzalcoatl.Kyren said: »
I'm hella gay so I don't need titties shoved in my face every other scene ruining my experience. SHOW ME SOME FAT ***!

Meninist jokes aside, please leave the titties alone.

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2019-12-21 19:17:37  

I have zero issues with that, lets have lots of bare chested fighting with big buff dudes. Totally respect people having difference preferences and wish that those people would respect me having my own.

Here for you, sorry couldn't get anything that had more Witcher buffage.

Feminist stuff aside, the main issues is that it's not the Witcher at all. It's the Yennefer show, with Geralt and Ciri as side characters.

Which would be ok if her character wasn't an obnoxious ***.

Yeah it's definitely got a Brie Larson feel to it, hopefully that fades away with a few more episodes.

It's like writers want to create a "strong female character" but don't know how and only end up making caricatures of them instead. "Strong female characters" are still human (like) with flaws that the viewers need to identify with. Making them some Invincible Mary Sue character with zero real flaws while acting bitchy all the time like some sort of feminist power trip fantasy just makes people not identify with them. Hopefully they tone down Yennefer via some sort of humbling experience that shows character growth.

Here is an example of a strong female character.

https://babylon5.fandom.com/wiki/Susan_Ivanova

Two epic quotes from her.

Quote:
I'd like you to take the time to learn the Babylon 5 mantra: 'Ivanova is always right. I will listen to Ivanova.
I will not ignore Ivanova's recommendations. Ivanova is God. And if this ever happens again, Ivanova will personally rip your lungs out."

YouTube Video Placeholder

Quote:
Who am I? I am Susan Ivanova. Commander. Daughter of Andrei and Sofie Ivanov. I am the right hand of vengeance, and the boot that is going to kick your sorry *** all the way back to Earth, sweetheart! I am death incarnate, and the last living thing that you are ever going to see. God sent me.

That last one still gives me shivers whenever I see it.
By volkom 2019-12-21 19:24:39  
Finished episode 7. Been enjoying it so far. I really want to see a scene with roach on a house
[+]
 Shiva.Zerowone
サーバ: Shiva
user: Zerowone
By Shiva.Zerowone 2019-12-21 19:33:52  

HBO’s Euphoria is right up your proverbial alley. Episode 1/pilot not so much but Episode 2 opens with more in your face various *** action than most people can handle.
 Quetzalcoatl.Langly
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
user: Langly
By Quetzalcoatl.Langly 2019-12-21 20:58:01  
volkom said: »
Finished episode 7. Been enjoying it so far. I really want to see a scene with roach on a house

I have quietly hoped that I would see that also. But... maybe in season 2. :D
 Shiva.Zerowone
By Shiva.Zerowone 2019-12-21 21:58:35  
Asura.Bartimaeus said: »
Only made it through 3 episodes so far, but I really enjoyed it. One criticism seemed that some things felt a little disjointed, moved a little too quick as they bounced back and forth. More of a nitpick for me though really.

I only played the games and never read the books but have been able to pick up details in them over the years so nothing felt too out of left field for me. Pretty decent effects. I've seen much worse just from Netflix. Could be always be better, could be much..MUCH worse.

Wife also enjoyed it, and she's far from loving any sort of grimdark'ish hack-slashy content. I had to fill in some blanks here or there so maybe that helped, but it's decent news for general audience appeal.(gasp) It might not be the easiest for a new audience to get into but there's enough context laid out to put things together.

Then again she just loved Dandelions character. Also Istredd apparently has "really beautiful eyes". :((((

It’s been awhile since I read the books, I agree they could have helped the audience with the disjointed timeline of the 3 characters in the early episodes. But if I recall correctly, Geralt is the “present”, Cirilla/Ciri is like 8-10yrs in the past and Yennefer, based on some of the dialogue mentioning events transpiring, is something like 80-100yrs in the past.

The actor playing Dandelion was perfectly cast. “Toss a coin to your Witcher, O Valley of plenty” does get stuck your in head.
By volkom 2019-12-21 23:27:45  
Shiva.Zerowone said: »
Only made it through 3 episodes so far, but I really enjoyed it. One criticism seemed that some things felt a little disjointed, moved a little too quick as they bounced back and forth. More of a nitpick for me though really.

I only played the games and never read the books but have been able to pick up details in them over the years so nothing felt too out of left field for me. Pretty decent effects. I've seen much worse just from Netflix. Could be always be better, could be much..MUCH worse.

Wife also enjoyed it, and she's far from loving any sort of grimdark'ish hack-slashy content. I had to fill in some blanks here or there so maybe that helped, but it's decent news for general audience appeal.(gasp) It might not be the easiest for a new audience to get into but there's enough context laid out to put things together.

Then again she just loved Dandelions character. Also Istredd apparently has "really beautiful eyes". :((((

It’s been awhile since I read the books, I agree they could have helped the audience with the disjointed timeline of the 3 characters in the early episodes. But if I recall correctly, Geralt is the “present”, Cirilla/Ciri is like 8-10yrs in the past and Yennefer, based on some of the dialogue mentioning events transpiring, is something like 80-100yrs in the past.

The actor playing Dandelion was perfectly cast. “Toss a coin to your Witcher, O Valley of plenty” does get stuck your in head.

they way i interpreted the show is that ciri is in the present and everything up till the last episode has been geralt in the past
 Shiva.Zerowone
By Shiva.Zerowone 2019-12-22 10:28:36  
volkom said: »
Shiva.Zerowone said: »

they way i interpreted the show is that ciri is in the present and everything up till the last episode has been geralt in the past

I think you’re right.
By Viciouss 2019-12-22 11:05:59  
I finished the season, I enjoyed it. High point for me was probably episode 3. There is no "feminist agenda," its a story about Geralt, Yennefer and Ciri. Which, hey, isn't that what the entire series has always been about? Yep.
By SimonSes 2019-12-22 13:09:11  
Viciouss said: »
isn't that what the entire series has always been about?

It was, but not for gamers. Books were always a story of those 3 and side characters ofc. Especially Ciri is very important character in saga and there are many chapters about her alone in later books. If you look at TV show logo it has wolf (Geralt), swallow bird (Ciri) and star (Yennefer) in it.
By volkom 2019-12-22 13:49:49  
overall its really good and i can't wait for more
 Shiva.Cziella
user: Rumors
By Shiva.Cziella 2019-12-22 15:16:33  
Never read the books or played the game, so I liked it, not the show of the year, or best by far, but it's pretty good and I enjoyed it so, so much I'm probably gonna try the game and books eventually. I think that alone is a win for the author of the book/CD-Projekt.

Things I learned from this thread: In a world of fantasy (which is make believe, or as Yennefer would say: "It's magic, it's not real") where there is an ugly monster cutely named Kikimora, a woman can not and should not be strong, because that is out of the realm of fantasy.

I did not get any feminist vibes or SJW going on, but then again, I wasn't looking for them, so I might have missed them? The only things I didn't like: Some of the names/lores were hard to keep up with, if you don't have a background on the lore, and they barely if anything explained the big picture of the world like what is going on with Pavetta/Ciri's powder or why is it coveted, by whom or for what at all, I don't even think we have a main antagonist, other than a mentioned white flame which is only mentioned twice... basically the show was a bit too short to even leave me hanging on a cliffhanger, I feel like I just don't know what i should be knowing, if it makes sense
By SimonSes 2019-12-22 15:54:25  
Shiva.Cziella said: »
I feel like I just don't know what i should be knowing, if it makes sense

It has a lot of sense.
Keep in mind that games are a continuation of story from books and will give you major spoilers for what happened in books.

S P O I L E R (about stuff from books covered in tv show)
First 2 books (show is based on them) are just several stories thrown up together to get familiar with main characters and give backstory of their relationship and whole destiny thing. So pretty much same as TV show or even less. At this point in the book there was no antagonist too. I think in books Ciri and Geralt relationship was portrayed better. Whole Brokilon forest story was much better. It was actually where Geralt and Ciri first met in books. Their meeting at the end was also far more emotional in books. Probably partially because Ciri was like 8 years old there in the books. It was actually the one thing that I think was done better in polish TV show, which generally was totally awful (beside main role of Geralt) with super cheap special effects etc.

You can watch it here :P

In Saga there will be few main antagonists, but I dont want to spoil anything beside that to you.
 Asura.Veikur
By Asura.Veikur 2019-12-22 16:31:00  
Watched the fight scene. She only performs a single static block (a block with fully halts an opponents blade, as opposed to deflecting) that doesn't result in her being overpowered by Geralts raw strength, despite using two hands/weapons to defend with. And that was with a reverse held strike, which is a factually inefficient way to wield a sword. Especially of that length.

She was, at no point in that fight, winning. The gut stab was the most damaging thing she did but all it got from Geralt was a grunt.

Her only advantage was her speed and extra pointy end, but as soon as Geralt brought his strength advantage (which is made blatantly clear literally 10 seconds into the fight) and longer blade advantage to play, she was on the back foot and done in literally 8 seconds.

Practitioners of HEMA, male or female, are typically trained to use deflective blocks when dealing with significantly larger opponents. It significantly reducing the incoming force of the swing. and is frankly easier on the wrist tendons.

Maybe learn something about actual sword fighting before you comment on it.
[+]
 Shiva.Cziella
user: Rumors
By Shiva.Cziella 2019-12-23 00:39:10  
For the few that hated the show and didn't like it:
Found this, I'm one in the million count now :)

https://playtracker.net/insight/posts/witcher-3-netflix-return

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Veikur
By Asura.Veikur 2019-12-23 01:43:07  
Except that they never display her, at any moment of the fight, to have any semblance of being physically competitive with Geralt. AND he blatantly spends the entire fight trying to not kill her.

So, he pulls his punches the entire fight and completely and utterly dominates her physically while doing so.

But yeah, super feminist.

I suspect the moment you saw she didn't get cleaved in half immediately, your eyes rolled into the back of your head and blacked out at the pure audacity of Netflix. Might want to watch the fight again.

Post deleted by User.
By volkom 2019-12-23 02:09:50  
i don't get why you guys are debating about renfri when geralt loses his sword in almost every monster fight :P
[+]

Post deleted by User.
 Phoenix.Oyama
サーバ: Phoenix
user: oyama
By Phoenix.Oyama 2019-12-23 06:46:22  
Jesus, this show needs a trigger warning for the anti-SJW people. "Oh Geralt could have/would have done this if he was really going easy on her!" Wtf are you talking about? Any time he decides to exert a little force to demonstrate his dominance, he absolutely overwhelms her, but he doesn't do it in the way you think he would or should have? That's ridiculous. It's a fantasy show, they script and choreograph it however they want. When you're one of the main characters in a sword-and-sorcery show and a very agile character threatens you, you absolutely have a 2 minute fight where you both show off cool and flashy moves for the camera, because just stopping the fight isn't how this works.

I'm from D&D land, this ***is not the least bit weird or out of place in a fantasy world, and it's not a "recent" thing. And Renfri, however small she is, is shown to have great skill, speed, and determination. She makes a valiant effort against Geralt but is completely outclassed. Checks out to me, looked entirely within the normal standards of fantasy. You're seeing something that isn't there because you're looking for it/hypersensitive to it and it reminds you of something that pisses you off. Extreme SJW stuff annoys me too, but it's clearly traumatizing to some.
[+]
 Shiva.Humpo
user: Humpo
By Shiva.Humpo 2019-12-23 07:10:01  
The last thing I need is to have my experience ruined by some SJW LGBTWTFBBQO propaganda shoved down my throat.

Shiva.Thorny said: »
Shame. Was excited to have a new show to watch, but probably should've expected it with netflix being how they are.

Tempted to cancel my subscription and go back to pirating everything just because funding their left wing propaganda machine feels wrong.

Glad I'm not the only one that feels the same way.
I've been fairly annoyed with netflix's more recent shows just due to the overwhelming need to force these topics into shows. Can't we just watch a movie about stuff blowing up without needing to care what what hole they prefer?
 Shiva.Thorny
user: Rairin
By Shiva.Thorny 2019-12-23 09:33:23  
if you read a little further, this show is actually not visibly feminist and is a pretty fun watch

Post deleted by User.

Post deleted by User.

Post deleted by User.