2010-06-21
New Items
users online
フォーラム » Everything Else » Culture and Media » The Witcher on Netflix
The Witcher on Netflix
First Page 2 3 4 5 6
By SimonSes 2019-12-21 05:21:20  
kireek said: »
The dialogue is terrible, the desperation to be a budget GoT, the fixation on the female characters over the main character (especially in ep2), the super powered 100lb women in it etc and the way they talk.

SPOILER
She was training swordsmanship since a child. There was also ZERO situation where she was super strong, she was just skilled. Geralt also didnt want to really hurt her until the end. Also when he used more strength to strike, he actually easily brute forced through her block and even make her kneel from sheer power of the strike. The only reason he was fighting her for a longer time was that she was slightly more skilled and because he didnt want to kill her. You are super biased.

Geralt is as much main character as Ciri. How many time do I need to tell you that. Its based on books. They are not changing ANYTHING.
 Asura.Vienner
サーバ: Asura
Game: FFXI
By Asura.Vienner 2019-12-21 05:41:36  

Honestly, I think if you liked he later series of GoT the issues I have with it won't bother you, I never really watched GoT so the things in that (and this) annoy me. My tolerance level for feminist nonsense is lower than yours maybe.

If you like it though, more power to you.
I've never watched Game of Thrones, I read the books and watching the series would just ruin the future books. If you look at a lot of series (books) most of them have strong female characters though, Witcher, GoT, Wheel of Time, Otherland, Dark Tower jump into mind. If I want exagerated feminism now then I'd just go watch the new Frozen movie or some Marvel movie.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
サーバ: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2019-12-21 06:22:47  
The literal cuck scene was so out of place

Undelete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
By SimonSes 2019-12-21 07:12:41  
Man you are such biased and I woudl even call sexist. Are you blind or something?

He parried few of her strikes because he didnt want to kil her, then in 5 sec he found opening to punch her face and push her to wall, which is far harder to do in swords fight than just hit your opponent with sword. He could kill her there right away, but instead he just tries to show her that she has no chance. He even took her weapon which is like ultimate showcase of dominance in the fight. What are you smoking, seriously.

If you think that is feminism then I fell sorry for you.

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Shiva.Zerowone
サーバ: Shiva
user: Zerowone
By Shiva.Zerowone 2019-12-21 07:37:24  
The fight in Blaviken was awesome. Great choreography and nice subtle quick use of Aard. Great way to to portray the way he got named the Butcher of Blaviken.

Pimphanded Renfri mid fight, kept trying to warn she was in over head then slices her throat in the end. Did we mention they *** the night before? Totally par the course for The Witcher.

Side note:

A fighter is a fighter is a fighter. If you ever trained to fight eventually you come to a realization that all trained opponents are potentially lethal regardless of their size and sex. Especially if you underestimate them.

There was nothing pro-feminism displayed in the character Renfri.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
[+]
By SimonSes 2019-12-21 07:51:55  
Having said that, since you cried twice over a *** netflix TV show maybe I'm the one that should feel sorry for you.

It was because The Witcher books are my favorite books of all times and part of my childhood and teenage years, so there is a huge nostalgia involved.

Zerowone explained this perfectly. I'm happy Im not the only one seeing it this way.
By Viciouss 2019-12-21 08:03:45  
It helps that she had some Elder Blood in her. I'm through 3 episodes and haven't seen any of this so called "feminist propaganda." The fight against the monster at the end of Ep 3 was also outstanding.
 Shiva.Zerowone
user: Zerowone
By Shiva.Zerowone 2019-12-21 08:06:13  
Shiva.Zerowone said: »
A fighter is a fighter is a fighter. If you ever trained to fight eventually you come to a realization that all trained opponents are potentially lethal regardless of their size and sex. Especially if you underestimate them.

In reality, women are not allowed to fight or compete with men because they would get killed. When trans athletes enter a female competition they dominate when they can't even rank in the mens field. When a trans UFC fighter took on the world female champion she was completely dominated and she said it wasn't fair.

So no, a fighter is not a fighter.

Fallon Fox was also TKO’d by Ashley Evans Smith. Your argument is referencing Fallon Fox TKO’ing Tamikka Brents. Fighters get TKO’d by striking quite a bit.
By SimonSes 2019-12-21 08:08:23  
Shiva.Zerowone said: »

In reality, women are not allowed to fight or compete with men because they would get killed. When trans athletes enter a female competition they dominate when they can't even rank in the mens field. When a trans UFC fighter took on the world female champion she was completely dominated and she said it wasn't fair.

So no, a fighter is not a fighter.

At this point I will just call you troll or maybe you are just that ignorant to not see a difference between sport that's based purely on your strength vs something based on mix of speed, skill and strength.

Not to mention what you suggested only matters when you compare the two top athletes of different gender. If you take like top woman athlete in weightlifting and even some strong guy who weights twice more, good luck on beating her. 125lbs limit woman record for Clean & Jerk is 170kg. Avg or even strong 250lbs man would barely deadlift that.

Now swordsmanship is not even close to that. Even a 60lbs child can kill you with sword. Skill and speed is far more important here.
By SimonSes 2019-12-21 08:15:15  
If you check metacritic for both shows it's a lot lower.

lower than what? Lower on Metacritic than on Rotten? You realize that Metacritic shows an avg score from 1 to 10 and Rotten audience % score shows how much % of people gave positive score (3.5/5 or higher). Completely 2 difference things.

Btw Audience score on Rotten jumped to 90, Metacritic user score avg to 7.6 and imdb score is still above 9.0

Post deleted by User.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
[+]
By Viciouss 2019-12-21 08:36:12  
Unless she weakened him in some way or had some power that made her inhumanly strong then it's nonsense

Did you actually watch the episode? Elder Blood.
By SimonSes 2019-12-21 08:52:47  
I don't really wanna argue too much about this one point though, cause my main issue with the show is that the majority of the show is really boring and that Geralt is a side character (especially as the show goes forward) in his own franchise.

It's NOT a GERALT franchise. How *** hard is that to understand. Game was centered around Geralt. Books are centered around Geralt, Ciri, Yennefer and their relationship. You also watched 2 episodes(?) and you screama bout screen time in whole series? lol

Yes it is a feminist show, yes the writers are feminists (they even said so themselves). If you are ok with that, then that's fine but don't go off on me cause I point it out and don't gaslight and say it's not when it 100% is.

Cant stop laughing at that nonsense. The show is not feminist, you are just sexist :)
[+]
 Shiva.Thorny
user: Rairin
By Shiva.Thorny 2019-12-21 09:01:47  
First episode didn't read feminist to me either. It's a fantasy world, and I guess she had whatever the lunar curse thing was going for her. Being able to parry a couple hits that could've knocked a similarly sized normal woman back/down is far from unbelievable. I thought the swordfight was a great watch compared to most of what passes for swordfighting on TV.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Veikur
By Asura.Veikur 2019-12-21 10:00:59  
SimonSes said: »
If you check metacritic for both shows it's a lot lower.

lower than what? Lower on Metacritic than on Rotten? You realize that Metacritic shows an avg score from 1 to 10 and Rotten audience % score shows how much % of people gave positive score (3.5/5 or higher). Completely 2 difference things.

Btw Audience score on Rotten jumped to 90, Metacritic user score avg to 7.6 and imdb score is still above 9.0

The point is that rotten deletes negative scores and hides many others, to change review scores. They stated they were going to do this after Captain Marvel got downrated.

As such meta is a better and more accurate indication of a film or tv shows rating with the public.
Lol no. It deletes audience reviews that can't provide proof that they've actually seen the movie. Because Captsin Marvel got review bombed by Brie Larson haters who didn't watch the movie.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2019-12-21 12:24:58  
Asura.Vienner said: »
This far im halfway episode two and this far I like it.

Biggest reason for people to not watch it. If they did it right then this poster should be screaming for blood. We know something is bad when SJW's approve.
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2019-12-21 12:53:14  

Wait what .... the SJW's here are trying to argue that in martial arts strength and body mass don't matter? That's incredibly ignorant right there.

Strength and body mass are critical components of every martial art because they direct correlate to how much power a person can project and how much control they have over that power projection. Physics is pretty solid on this and physics don't stop working for Wymin.

Now beyond that we have this super drug that has such a powerful effect on athletic performance that artificial use is banned in every single sports competition in the world. That drugs name is Testosterone, the key male hormone. Free Testosterone controls bone density, muscle mass, aggression, stamina and recovery. Synthetic versions of this are called anabolic steroids and allow relative thin weak people to become super buff and strong in a matter of months.

Actual study with all relevant numbers

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6391653/

Quote:
The available, albeit incomplete, evidence makes it highly likely that the sex difference in circulating testosterone of adults explains most, if not all, the sex differences in sporting performance. This is based on the dose-response effects of circulating testosterone to increase muscle mass and strength, bone size and strength (density), and circulating hemoglobin, each of which alone increases athletic capacity, as well as other possible sex dichotomous, androgen-sensitive contributors such as mental effects (mood, motivation, aggression) and muscle myoglobin content. These facts explain the clear sex difference in athletic performance in most sports, on which basis it is commonly accepted that competition has to be divided into male and female categories.

Bonus link, Testosterone differences across different sports and performance levels, higher performance is directly correlated with higher testosterone levels.

Conclusion,

Testosterone is a helluva drug, kinda like a super serum but which males are born with. Men naturally have 14~30 times more of the stuff then Wymin do, ergo men are vastly stronger, bigger, have higher stamina, better recuperative ability and overall just *better* at anything athletic. The difference is such that the top 10% of women fall within the 50% band for men.

Now the SJW's may roll forth with "Hate Truths" and ***, doesn't matter cause science is real.
[+]
By SimonSes 2019-12-21 13:11:38  
Asura.Saevel said: »
Usual Saevel wikipedia stuff trying to be smart

Cool story. Too bad it has nothing to do with with stuff we are talking about.

Ofc power of strike matters in swordsmanship, but its far less important than skill and speed. You can be 2 times stronger, but if your opponent will be 2 times faster, he/she will easily win. If he/she will be 2 times more skilled, he/she will easily win. Swordsmanship is not boxing. You dont need massive power to KO your opponent. For sword strike to be lethal, you dont need much force, just precision. Not to mention all the techniques that use your opponent force to use it against him.

Now if man is as skilled as woman and as fast as her and man is stronger, then obviously this strength will matter, but he is just stronger but lacking in skill and speed, then he can be easily taken down.

This fight between Geralt and Renfri is nothing like that tho. She is clearly much more skilled than their group, but she is still elss skilled and slower and weaker than Geralt which is very noticeable during the fight. He is clearly trying to be defensive for most fo the fight, because he is not willing to kill her. Few times when he want to dominate to show her she has no chance, he pin her to wall, strike her with sword through block and take her weapon in few moves without much effort.
[+]
 Asura.Vienner
By Asura.Vienner 2019-12-21 13:25:58  
Asura.Vienner said: »
This far im halfway episode two and this far I like it.

Biggest reason for people to not watch it. If they did it right then this poster should be screaming for blood. We know something is bad when SJW's approve.
I wonder why I would be concidered a social justice warrior, Perspective here is different then where you live. Aside of the things on which we disagree there probably also are many things on which we do agree, of course its more fun to poke that stick in places where you think it might trigger a reaction

This is a thread about the witcher series, yet "some" decided to turn it into a leftwing feminism thread.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
[+]
By ashcrow 2019-12-21 13:38:16  

Wait what .... the SJW's here are trying to argue that in martial arts strength and body mass don't matter? That's incredibly ignorant right there.

Strength and body mass are critical components of every martial art because they direct correlate to how much power a person can project and how much control they have over that power projection. Physics is pretty solid on this and physics don't stop working for Wymin.

Now beyond that we have this super drug that has such a powerful effect on athletic performance that artificial use is banned in every single sports competition in the world. That drugs name is Testosterone, the key male hormone. Free Testosterone controls bone density, muscle mass, aggression, stamina and recovery. Synthetic versions of this are called anabolic steroids and allow relative thin weak people to become super buff and strong in a matter of months.

Actual study with all relevant numbers

Quote:
The available, albeit incomplete, evidence makes it highly likely that the sex difference in circulating testosterone of adults explains most, if not all, the sex differences in sporting performance. This is based on the dose-response effects of circulating testosterone to increase muscle mass and strength, bone size and strength (density), and circulating hemoglobin, each of which alone increases athletic capacity, as well as other possible sex dichotomous, androgen-sensitive contributors such as mental effects (mood, motivation, aggression) and muscle myoglobin content. These facts explain the clear sex difference in athletic performance in most sports, on which basis it is commonly accepted that competition has to be divided into male and female categories.

Bonus link, Testosterone differences across different sports and performance levels, higher performance is directly correlated with higher testosterone levels.

Conclusion,

Testosterone is a helluva drug, kinda like a super serum but which males are born with. Men naturally have 14~30 times more of the stuff then Wymin do, ergo men are vastly stronger, bigger, have higher stamina, better recuperative ability and overall just *better* at anything athletic. The difference is such that the top 10% of women fall within the 50% band for men.

Now the SJW's may roll forth with "Hate Truths" and ***, doesn't matter cause science is real.

they ruined star wars already the witcher is already ruined. just watch anime guys we lost.

Post deleted by User.
By Ruaumoko 2019-12-21 15:07:28  
Never read the books or played the games, will probably read the books now though as I'm quite liking this.

This first season is a fair bit of world building so far but they did the same thing for the first season of Game of Thrones so I kind of saw this coming.

Not getting too much of this 'Feminism' either (how the hell did this thread derail so fast into this?). Perhaps because I have not experienced either of the two media, but that's just what they are: other media. I'll let this be what it is for what it is.
[+]