フォーラム » FFXI » General » Final Fantasy VII
Final Fantasy VII
First Page 2 3 ... 11 12 13
 Leviathan.Andret
サーバ: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
user: Andret
By Leviathan.Andret 2020-05-13 11:08:36  
Why do people keep using Youtube for summaries and similar stuff?

It's faster to just read through something simple rather than watching the whole Youtube video with weird music and some dude ranting for minutes to hours!
[+]
 Bahamut.Negan
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Negan
By Bahamut.Negan 2020-05-13 11:15:31  
Leviathan.Andret said: »
Why do people keep using Youtube for summaries and similar stuff?

It's faster to just read through something simple rather than watching the whole Youtube video with weird music and some dude ranting for minutes to hours!
Don't forget the 3 minute-look what I can do-graphic intro!
[+]
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
サーバ: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2020-05-13 11:48:39  
Because you don't get paid for making a forum post that takes longer than 10 minutes to read!
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2020-05-13 12:12:54  
Speaking of super-long videos, I'm not a huge Maximilian Dood fan but he was in a video with some guys where they did some deep theory crafting about the Remake's ending and it's quite interesting.

In that vein, I'm gonna leave a crazy prediction here of my own so that I can seem super smart in the highly unlikely event that it actually happens:
 Asura.Azriel
サーバ: Asura
user: Azriel
By Asura.Azriel 2020-05-13 12:22:10  
Say bye to Tifa or Marle(ne) :p
 Bismarck.Zuidar
サーバ: Bismarck
user: Radiuz
By Bismarck.Zuidar 2020-05-24 06:29:20  
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [76 days between previous and next post]
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2020-08-08 14:46:45  
Just FYI in case anyone missed them previously, the Butterfinger DLC items are free on the PS Store for an indeterminate amount of time.

[+]
By Rolodex 2020-08-08 17:01:24  
Bahamut.Ravael said: »
Just FYI in case anyone missed them previously, the Butterfinger DLC items are free on the PS Store for an indeterminate amount of time.

How in the world do you game better with butterfingers? Let the chocolate melt on your fingers and then play a game. On top of that, I doubt anyone with "butterfingers" can play a game well. I pray we are just seeing levels of irony that is beyond this veil.
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-08-08 17:06:05  
It's the same thing as the snickers ads. "you're not yourself when you're hungry" or you play like ***when you're "hangry".

Boost of sugar improves mood, therefor improves game play

Undelete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2020-08-08 18:03:11  
Bismarck.Questaru said: »
why do so many *** baits think final fantasy vii is the best rpg ever

Well, there's this crazy thing called an "opinion", and since "best rpg ever" is a subjective term, it is squarely in the realm of "opinion".
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-08-08 18:20:28  
It's pretty simple why, honestly. The 'cherry' concept. 7 was probably the very first PS rpg people played. So, you always remember it as "life changing".
Many people "our age" timelines consist of "before seven" and "after seven"

1995-12-31 King's Field II
1996-08-31 Beyond the Beyond (more like an SNES game)
1996-11-01 Legacy of Kain, Blood Omen
1996-11-01 Suikoden (objectively better than 7, but extremely rare comparatively) More characters, less customization. No cinematics.
1996-11-?? Persona
1997-03-27 Vandal Hearts (tactics style 'rpg')
1997-04-30 Wild Arms
1997-07-31 Ogre Battle (more campaign 'rpg')
1997-09-07 Final Fantasy VII

After 7 drops you've got a bunch of objectively "better" games. BoF3, ToD, Xenogears, Star Ocean, It was just a matter of timing.
By Rolodex 2020-08-08 18:33:28  
Because they never played Xenogears. One of those games I always come back to every few years.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Avereith
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: Lilianna
By Lakshmi.Avereith 2020-08-08 20:04:58  
xenogears is ok if you only play like... the first half
[+]
By Ermah 2020-08-08 20:05:28  

I'm assuming you're very young. At the time Americans didn't have as many options for games with good stories at the time. An average american game was something like a fat yellow guy is running around with a skinny red guy looking for elevators while running away from landmowers, or a worm in a space suit was fighting off things with a laser gun.

Very few games even had story, so something like FF7 comes around and it blows people's minds. Heck even fewer would dare risk killing off a main character. Then after that the power of reminiscing takes over, where fond memories of the past were better than they actually were. Probably why you're playing FFXI now.

How many times do you log in and see people say how awesome the game was 15 years ago? It was pretty awful if you remember it without the reminiscing glasses. A 60 thief sitting in town looking for a party for 6 hours that only wipes 10 times and you lose the level you spent so hard getting now you're 59 and don't have the ws you needed so now you'll never get a party.
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-08-08 20:05:55  
Lakshmi.Avereith said: »

The tragedy of the xenogears story, indeed. They actually did "give up" half way through, so much lost potential.
By Draylo 2020-08-08 20:25:16  
Those items were all garbage honestly except one I think for the start of the game.
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2020-08-08 20:46:01  
Draylo said: »
Those items were all garbage honestly except one I think for the start of the game.

The better armor pieces hold up pretty well through the first half of the game and the accessories aren't terrible (the belt saved me on a few occasions). Nothing you can't live without, but they're not bad for promotional DLC which honestly shouldn't be game-breaking. But hey, free stuff is free.
By Rolodex 2020-08-09 10:08:52  
Funny you mention the second half of Xenogears since some of the RoV storyline had the exact same storytelling as the second half of Xenogears

RoV spoilers:

Asura.Eiryl said: »

The tragedy of the xenogears story, indeed. They actually did "give up" half way through, so much lost potential.

Wasn't the reason because in the middle of XG's development the higher ups syphoned workers from Xenogear's dev team to work on FF8? That's extra sad since i'm one of the poor souls that actually enjoy FF8 and I have no regrets about it.

Ermah said: »
I'm assuming you're very young. At the time Americans didn't have as many options for games with good stories at the time. An average american game was something like a fat yellow guy is running around with a skinny red guy looking for elevators while running away from landmowers, or a worm in a space suit was fighting off things with a laser gun.

King's Quest says otherwise, but that's because that one holds a place in my heart. What you are talking about was a console problem. The PC had plenty of storytelling games in the form of pc rpgs and games that were coming from Sierra and Lucas Arts.
By Ermah 2020-08-09 10:31:24  
I'm sure there were games with great story, but none as well advertised and easily accessible as Final Fantasy 7 was.

I remember playing it on PC and it had like.... 14 discs hehe. PCs weren't really the main gaming platform back then and were very confusing to many people.
By Rolodex 2020-08-09 10:58:46  
PCs weren't really the main gaming platform back then and were very confusing to many people.

Yeah... it was good times back then. I loved my old dos machine. Only place where I could play Marble Madness, King's quest, and all the mario knock offs I would ever want! Besides, jrpgs existed before FF7 and I would say some stories are better than FF7. Lunar for the Saturn had a better story and intro IMO. I think FF7's success is nothing more than a lesson in good advertisement. Even back in the day that game was marketed heavily. Xenogears had some magazine adverts and G4 played trailers of the game during Cinematech but FF7 had commercials that were played during prime time and networks that teens watched so it makes sense why FF7 was such a big thing back then.
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2020-08-09 11:26:32  
Don’t dumb it down to just good advertising. There are a lot of games that were advertised heavily that are mostly forgotten today. FFVII is by no means a perfect game, but it has a lot going for it.
[+]
By Rolodex 2020-08-09 12:10:33  
Most games have something going for it if you look hard enough. That said FF7 was a solid game, albeit overhyped as the years went by. Just because there are games others prefer doesn't mean your 8/10 game suddenly is a 5/10 game. If anything the remake seems, for a lack of a better word, soulless compared to the original, warts and all. Flash doesn't equate to substance, I will still stand by how the Gold Saucer is one of the best areas in any jrpg by what it offered and the aesthetics of the area. Also, don't dismiss the power of advertisement to the masses, that works for a reason.
By Ermah 2020-08-09 12:58:41  
The secret to success is killing off main characters.

Final Fantasy 7 was years ahead of its time in that regard.

Look at the Walking Dead, that show is still going on because when it gets boring they just kill off a main character at random.

Or Game of Thrones became popular because if killed off main characters and it surprised people.

Then Westworld did the same in season 1 and that shocked and surprised people and it became super popular.

Even Animes that kill off important characters are super popular.

The secret to good story telling that attracts a massive amount of people is to make you fall in love with someone, then kill them, as long as they aren't your favorite character, like Tyrion.

I don't think anyone expected Aerith to die.
By Rolodex 2020-08-09 13:10:21  
The secret to success is killing off main characters.

Final Fantasy 7 was years ahead of its time in that regard.

Meanwhile Tellah is in spirit form wondering if anyone still remembers him... Hopefully he could finally meet Anna. ;_;
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2020-08-09 13:15:10  

Very few games even had story, so something like FF7 comes around and it blows people's minds. Heck even fewer would dare risk killing off a main character. Then after that the power of reminiscing takes over, where fond memories of the past were better than they actually were. Probably why you're playing FFXI now.

FFVII was the first one that attracted so many teenagers and this is largely due to the popularity of the PSX and video games catching on in the mid to late 90's. Prior to that FFIV and FFVI were both released though re-branded as FF2 and FF3 respectively (original 2,3 and 5 were never released to the US). Both IV and VI has extremely good story lines with VI regarded as the best story line ever. The thing was, both were only played by "nerds" and hardly had the wide spread notice. FFVII on the other hand was heavily marketed to young male teenagers with lots of CGI actions scenes. For most it was *the* first Final Fantasy game they played and thus it's super popularity as a gaming icon.
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-08-21 22:41:46  
They're gonna speedrun remake on GDQ if you're into that.

About an hour from now till 8am

https://www.twitch.tv/gamesdonequick
 Asura.Aeonova
user: aeonova
By Asura.Aeonova 2020-08-21 23:36:31  
Valefor.Prothescar said: »
Because you don't get paid for making a forum post that takes longer than 10 minutes to read!

Making custom memes for the FFXIAH forums is where the big money is. Trust me. I know a guy.
[+]
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [188 days between previous and next post]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Bahamut.Inspectorgadget
By Bahamut.Inspectorgadget 2021-02-25 17:12:06  
Ever Crisis Trailer released today too. I'm so hyped for both of them.

YouTube Video Placeholder
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 11 12 13