フォーラム » FFXI » General » Final Fantasy VII
Final Fantasy VII
First Page 2 3 ... 10 11 12 13
 Asura.Azriel
サーバ: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Azriel
By Asura.Azriel 2020-04-21 17:56:24  
I am mostly disapointed on how little things there are to do outside of those semi respawning battles in 3 chapters and those 24(26) sidequests ...

I welcome how much love went into character (RE)creation and how close it is to the original.

I got alot of Lightning Returns flashbacks and that weapon lvling thing via crystals seemed like it was right out of FF13.

I can only recommend playing RE2 remake if you need a better PoV on "remakes". Its worth it - where FF7R isnt worth the full price tag imho ...

Its couple of old Final Fantasy features carved together with Shen Mue village life and mini games dressed in a FF7 HD dress with a shitton of skipable dialogues, and if you skip them .. you dont pay fullprice for whats left ;/

Mixed feelings on the steroid Cloud from Advent Children.

And i think this "We fight fate" thing is to finally cut the "Aerith" deal with the fanbase ... wich is sad because Aerith dying was a big part of making this game a legend. Now they open up not only discussions and collect (un)needed feedback ... No instead of answering questions they raised even more questions -_- and thats really not what I wanted lol

I wouldnt be suprised if some KeyBlade dude in Episode 2 accidently pops up in Gold Saucer by slicing a portal into reality and then a duck and a dog cross your way :(

This game gives you Steal Materia, for 2? Items to be worth stealng ...

This game gives you Red XIII, to be good for wallrunning for unneeded dungeon cockblocks and as a "Guest" character because "reasons".

This game makes you laugh and cry and then leaves you behind without any notice of ever ****ing you again because it has what it wanted from you and you bought into it ;;

And WTF is up with 4 Enemy Skills ... 1 is useless, 1 you can only get after beating the game, 1 is AoE drain and pointless and 1 is Ice Spikes wich is the only reason you ever waste 1 materia slot ...

Why Bahamuth and Leviathan when they could do Ramuh and Titan ... some lesser ones at least if it sticks to the old 7 ... They made Steal and Enemy Skill worthless because it was close to worthless in the original (in Midgar) - ok - but then they give us advanced Summons? O.o idk ...
 Valefor.Yandaime
サーバ: Valefor
user: Yandaime
By Valefor.Yandaime 2020-04-22 06:27:35  
Anyone else notice that Barret hates chairs?

I’m prowling about in Shinra HQ trying to “Stay Inconspicuous” just Incase the devs got funny ideas. And here comes Barret knocking over literally every possible thing that isn’t nailed to the floor lmao. I forget where but there was a part where they wanted to sneak around and then suddenly TRASHCAN SOCCER PRACTICE nothing was alerted or anything but it was funny to me.
By Draylo 2020-04-22 10:44:37  
Quetzalcoatl.Xilkk said: »
Draylo said: »
You really don't know what they are going to do, you're drawing quite the assumption.

Naw, I'm judging what they did in this game.

It's.not hard to know when episode 1 makes a fatal flaw in a story that is not recoverable, so don't bother with episode 2

No, you and the other nerds are jumping the gun like always. You don't know what you want until its shown to you. Every single time they do a game or remake its the same minority of people crying their eyes out. I am so glad the companies don't listen to them.
[+]
 Asura.Azriel
By Asura.Azriel 2020-04-22 11:52:56  
Talk for yourself bud :D

I am perfectly fine how RE2 played out i.e.
By Draylo 2020-04-22 12:08:56  
Except even in RE2 they cut off a large portion of content by not doing a proper B scenario and they made the scene with Ada falling canon when previously it wasn't. You're being a hypocrite.
[+]
 Asura.Azriel
By Asura.Azriel 2020-04-22 12:39:55  
Yet it was a game worth the wait, while this clearly wasnt.
By Draylo 2020-04-22 12:43:00  
RE2 was like a 2~4 hour game originally, much less once you master it and do speed runs. FF7 was that just for Midgard lol. They are two different games and you cant just say RE2 was better in terms of a remake. They are both good games. A lot of the points you gave in your post above, are easily refuted and just silly. Don't try so hard to hate on this game, it doesn't deserve it and the sales speak for itself.
 Asura.Azriel
By Asura.Azriel 2020-04-22 12:46:14  
I wont argue with your point of view even if its messed up ...
 Asura.Vyre
Forum Moderator
user: Vyrerus
By Asura.Vyre 2020-04-22 12:46:41  
As far as sales go, you gotta be honest. It's coasting off the popularity of the original and the hype resulting in the high demand for a remake. Not really its own merits.

Does look fun though.
[+]
By Viciouss 2020-04-22 13:12:39  
Asura.Vyre said: »
As far as sales go, you gotta be honest. It's coasting off the popularity of the original and the hype resulting in the high demand for a remake. Not really its own merits.

Does look fun though.

I would tend to disagree, but there are a lot of different factors that drive sales for any game.

On its own, this game has been reviewed extremely well by critics. Gamespot, which hates everything, gave it a 10. On top of that, despite a small need for a patch, its releasing in much better than condition than FF15, a game that was broken for a year and then when fixes and alterations were made, we had to pay for them via expansions and a "Royal Edition."

Also, its a full game with good length. Its a 40+ hour story if you do everything. While not being overly difficult to platinum, its by no means too short, a problem that has plagued SE for decades. And despite a few tweaks needed in the combat system, its a blast to play.

Lastly, its facing pretty weak competition, and with no major releases coming for a while, the sales outlook should be pretty good. RE3 is simply DLC for RE2, its crap. P5R is probably a better game, but it doesn't have the starpower of Final Fantasy, and its a full priced expansion for people that played the original just 2 years ago.

The stars aligned for SE to capitalize on their most popular game ever, and they didn't fumble it at all. If they can pump out the next game by 2022, thats just icing on the cake.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2020-04-22 13:19:17  
Viciouss said: »
Gamespot, which hates everything, gave it a 10.
And the pallets of cash had nothing to do with it either.

>.>
<.<
[+]
By Viciouss 2020-04-22 13:24:42  
Thats IGN!
By Draylo 2020-04-22 13:44:53  
I don't agree RE3 was crap, but it certainly could have used a little more content which hopefully they will add later like RE2 got.
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-04-22 14:12:20  
So, in 4 minutes (ish) Right now

The voice actor for Aerith is doing an interview

The voice of Aerith from FF7R and diving into the Metaverse
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0lirzGefsc
Quote:
to discuss the future of the Metaverse
By Viciouss 2020-04-24 12:53:08  
Playing through on Hard Mode, still having a great time. I knew the Hell House was going to slow me down, and it did. I was determined to play with Aerith more this playthrough, so I had all of her abilities unlocked, but it was still a tough fight. Took several attempts, a couple of rage quits, rearranging my materia a lot, but defeating it was pretty satisfying.
 Asura.Veikur
By Asura.Veikur 2020-04-24 14:30:15  
Asura.Vyre said: »

Does look fun though.
Nostalgia's helping, but it an enormously competent and fun game. And given the shift to character driven games popularity in the last decade or so, it's no wonder it's being so well received. FF7R loooooooooves it's characters.

If all we were getting was a 1:1 remake of the original, I wouldn't have bought it. I don't need modern AAA graphics to enjoy a game. Very glad for the divergence, literally does nothing to spoil my original memories of VII.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2020-04-24 22:47:13  
Hmm, I'm a bit surprised by how well the Butterfinger DLC held up. Armor's still useful up through about the game's halfway point, and the accessories are probably situationally useful throughout. I'm not used to seeing Promo DLC that's actually good.
By Viciouss 2020-04-24 22:52:40  
I kinda forgot about it tbh, don't think it made too much difference on normal, there are only a couple of really challenging fights in the first playthrough.

Carbuncle is the real deal in hard mode tho.
 Asura.Vyre
Forum Moderator
user: Vyrerus
By Asura.Vyre 2020-04-26 02:05:08  
YouTube Video Placeholder
[+]
 Phoenix.Capuchin
サーバ: Phoenix
user: Anza
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2020-04-26 05:36:09  
Also, its a full game with good length. Its a 40+ hour story if you do everything. While not being overly difficult to platinum, its by no means too short, a problem that has plagued SE for decades.

I don't disagree that FFVIIR is a substantial game, and far from being some incomplete experience. But what the heck do you mean about SE being plagued by having games that are "too short" for decades?

Every FF game from the PS1 era on has been a lengthy experience, at least above average in length compared to their RPG contemporaries (and VIIR, while totally fine to me as a full experience, is clearly on the lower end of playtime for main series FF entries...)
- PS1 generation: FFVIII and IX were well over 40+ hour games for an average playthrough, as long or longer than their typical contemporaries.
- PS2 generation: FFX was huge, and X-2 was pretty packed too. XII was a massive epic.
- PS3 generation: XIII was plenty long (arguably even dragging a bit and potentially could have been better with some cuts), and its two sequels were a little shorter but still 40+ hour experiences with lots of optional content for people who wanted more.
- PS4 generation: XV is gigantic if you don't focus only on main story content (I put nearly 90 hours into a playthrough, and that still wasn't a 100% run). IMO, XII is the only game in the mainline series with more stuff to do.

If you're talking non-FF games in the era post Square/Enix merger:
- The SE-era Dragon Quest games are WELL KNOWN for being really lengthy RPGs. VIII was huge, IX was huge, XI was huge.
- Last Remnant is a monster.
- Star Ocean 3 and 4 were gigantic epics (though yeah, SO5 was a bit more streamlined).
- The Kingdom Hearts games are a very healthy length for action RPGs.
- The Bravely/Octopath team makes very long games, especially with their mobile focus (though admittedly, Bravely Default 1 did pad things a bit with repetition)
- The Tokyo RPG Factory games are the really the only recent SE RPG output where I can see some reasonable complaints about being "too short", but those also kind of seem to be going for a more stripped down aesthetic and a return to more simple 16-bit era design (though yeah, that's clearly not for everyone) - and these are some of the most niche SE games, not really what springs to mind for most people when they think "Square Enix".

I'm really not sure how anyone would have the impression that Square-Enix RPGs since the turn of the century have any sort of reputation for being too short. I mean, they aren't all MEGA-epic ~100-hour length like a Persona 3-5 (IMO, good games, but being too long and in need of an editor is probably their biggest weakness) or Witcher 3, but they're a far cry from being small games. People might have their issues with more recent SE RPGs, but "too short" really isn't a very reasonable complaint.
[+]
 Leviathan.Andret
サーバ: Leviathan
user: Andret
By Leviathan.Andret 2020-04-26 12:09:52  
Game length average imo.

Action:
5 hrs - too short!
10 hrs - short & sweet
20 hrs - decent playtime
30 hrs - pretty long
40 hrs+ - epic!

RPG:
10 hrs - this is not RPG
20 hrs - too short!
30 hrs - a little thin in content
40 hrs - good length
50 hrs - plenty of side quests
60 hrs - this is dragging along too much
100+ hrs - grind grind grind

Grand Strategy:
40 hrs - this is not strategy
100 hrs - a little meh
200 hrs - now this is getting good
600 hrs - Give me back my legions!!!
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-05-01 11:30:30  
Woah. If you watch the 'everything wrong with' series on youtube... 47 minute everything wrong with FF7R

By missdivine 2020-05-01 11:59:19  
Asura.Eiryl said: »
Woah. If you watch the 'everything wrong with' series on youtube... 47 minute everything wrong with FF7R

Is this a real voice? or just an automated narrator's voice? because it sounds very robotic and lifeless
By Draylo 2020-05-01 12:13:30  
Yes everyone is a disgruntled nerd that complains about every damn little thing. Then they go and look at the originals or older games with rosy nostalgia goggles. If you heavily scrutinize ANY game, you'll find issues. Damn armchair devs just make me roll my eyes. I feel bad for these people who pour their souls into these games and have to read comments from these idiots.

That video is so dumb too, 26:48 "Its not like cloud can kill it again.. its a ghost.." like cmon man, its like they will say anything to add a "sin" lmao.
By Draylo 2020-05-01 12:15:57  
Phoenix.Capuchin said: »
Also, its a full game with good length. Its a 40+ hour story if you do everything. While not being overly difficult to platinum, its by no means too short, a problem that has plagued SE for decades.

I don't disagree that FFVIIR is a substantial game, and far from being some incomplete experience. But what the heck do you mean about SE being plagued by having games that are "too short" for decades?

Every FF game from the PS1 era on has been a lengthy experience, at least above average in length compared to their RPG contemporaries (and VIIR, while totally fine to me as a full experience, is clearly on the lower end of playtime for main series FF entries...)
- PS1 generation: FFVIII and IX were well over 40+ hour games for an average playthrough, as long or longer than their typical contemporaries.
- PS2 generation: FFX was huge, and X-2 was pretty packed too. XII was a massive epic.
- PS3 generation: XIII was plenty long (arguably even dragging a bit and potentially could have been better with some cuts), and its two sequels were a little shorter but still 40+ hour experiences with lots of optional content for people who wanted more.
- PS4 generation: XV is gigantic if you don't focus only on main story content (I put nearly 90 hours into a playthrough, and that still wasn't a 100% run). IMO, XII is the only game in the mainline series with more stuff to do.

If you're talking non-FF games in the era post Square/Enix merger:
- The SE-era Dragon Quest games are WELL KNOWN for being really lengthy RPGs. VIII was huge, IX was huge, XI was huge.
- Last Remnant is a monster.
- Star Ocean 3 and 4 were gigantic epics (though yeah, SO5 was a bit more streamlined).
- The Kingdom Hearts games are a very healthy length for action RPGs.
- The Bravely/Octopath team makes very long games, especially with their mobile focus (though admittedly, Bravely Default 1 did pad things a bit with repetition)
- The Tokyo RPG Factory games are the really the only recent SE RPG output where I can see some reasonable complaints about being "too short", but those also kind of seem to be going for a more stripped down aesthetic and a return to more simple 16-bit era design (though yeah, that's clearly not for everyone) - and these are some of the most niche SE games, not really what springs to mind for most people when they think "Square Enix".

I'm really not sure how anyone would have the impression that Square-Enix RPGs since the turn of the century have any sort of reputation for being too short. I mean, they aren't all MEGA-epic ~100-hour length like a Persona 3-5 (IMO, good games, but being too long and in need of an editor is probably their biggest weakness) or Witcher 3, but they're a far cry from being small games. People might have their issues with more recent SE RPGs, but "too short" really isn't a very reasonable complaint.

His comment makes absolutely no sense. I can't even think of an SE RPG offhand that was "too short". Most of them are long as hell and doing platinums on the recent ones involve a lot of replaying thru tedious stuff. You can add XI and XIV on that list, thats a ton of hours poured into a game lol.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-05-01 12:21:19  
Bro, it's not a real commentary, it's a mockery

It's not to be taken seriously, just comedy. If you are familiar with the series.

(sometimes the points are even blatantly wrong, knowing what happens after the comment is made ignoring a part happens to make it funny)
By Viciouss 2020-05-01 12:24:11  
Yeah looks like Draylo got whooshed again.
By Draylo 2020-05-01 12:34:31  
Asura.Eiryl said: »
Bro, it's not a real commentary, it's a mockery

It's not to be taken seriously, just comedy. If you are familiar with the series.

(sometimes the points are even blatantly wrong, knowing what happens after the comment is made ignoring a part happens to make it funny)

No, I'm not familiar with that guys channel. I figured it was another angry nerd criticizing and clicked a random point for like a minute lol. There are actually people making dumb critiques like that though, so it wouldn't be surprising.
By Draylo 2020-05-01 12:39:45  
Yeah looks like Draylo got whooshed again.

You're still wrong though, your comment was pretty dumb.
 Asura.Azriel
By Asura.Azriel 2020-05-13 09:26:25  
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=87&v=gEXzyWToyz0&feature=emb_logo

Pretty much sums up what i said here lol
First Page 2 3 ... 10 11 12 13