Question About Farming Gil

言語: JP EN DE FR
2010-06-21
New Items
users online
フォーラム » FFXI » General » Question about farming gil
Question about farming gil
By Wardens 2019-10-09 11:20:27  
So after taking an almost 10 year break, I finally got everything with the install and login figured out. Switched servers from Lakshmi and Asura. So what are some good things to farm to make gil? I know some items I found were selling for 5-10k and I thought that was pretty good (though I'm sure it's not). I don't really craft or anything. I don't know what any of the endgame activities are, and have only just visited the city Adoulin for the first time. Am now level 82 SAM.

So to my question, are there any specific activities that are particularly profitable for a perpetual newb? Anything that sells quickly in the AH that goes for more than 10k, 50k, etc? I don't know what is considered "well off" in terms of how much gil someone has anymore.

I appreciate even the smallest tip or suggestion!
 Ragnarok.Lopeubaut
サーバ: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
By Ragnarok.Lopeubaut 2019-10-09 11:32:04  
Dynamis or alluvion skirmish
[+]
 Asura.Nebohh
サーバ: Asura
user: Kealohaa
By Asura.Nebohh 2019-10-09 11:32:43  
Do what the common folk do and spam Ambuscade. With enough points, you can make an easy 10m-20m per month. Maybe more, I haven't spammed it for a month or two.
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2019-10-09 11:37:16  
There is nothing easier than making gil. plethora of choices of things to farm that people would rather buy than farm enmass.

alex, dynamoney, crystals, mission/quest items, food ingredients all while generating sparks that sell too.
[+]
 Asura.Reichleiu
user: Reichleiu
By Asura.Reichleiu 2019-10-09 11:51:00  
If you're just coming back, and you're only a lv 82 SAM, you don't need gil right now. Do quests, do missions, and buy equipment with sparks that you acquire through doing this. Whatever you don't spend on gear, you can use to make some gil. 99999 sparks is about 1,000,000 gil, and it's super easy to make. Don't worry about making gil right now – worry about quests, missions, and leveling.

Once you get to 99, and actually need gil, making it is actually pretty easy.

• Convert sparks to gil

• Do ambuscade

These two things will take the minimum effort to make the most gil. If you cap out ambuscade points (you won't right away) you'll make 50m a month easily.

After that there's:

• Skirmish

• Delve

• Dynamis

• Omen

• Salvage

• UNMs

• Voidwatch

• Vagary

Making gil is the easiest part about this game. But you're a level 82 SAM with nothing unlocked. Don't worry about making gil yet.. get to 99, do your quests and missions.

This is a good place to start:
https://www.bg-wiki.com/bg/Quickstart_1-119_Guide
[+]
 Cerberus.Drayco
サーバ: Cerberus
user: Drayco
By Cerberus.Drayco 2019-10-09 11:56:39  
Reichleiu's advice is spot on.

As for what is considered "well-off" these days. I'm fairly certain that 100m is considered "lower-middle class" these days lol.
[+]
 Bahamut.Celebrindal
サーバ: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Celebrindal 2019-10-09 12:09:48  
I will say this about ambu farming for gil- for the first few months you won't make the totals that people mention because you need to focus part of those points on getting some ambuscade gear to the +2 level and making capes. While the gil is extremely enticing, that gear will benefit you permanently. Take care of your character first with ambuscade points then make the gil from it.

**EDIT**

since you said you've taken about a 10 year break, its hard to realize the changes that have taken in the game. When you left, leveling was still an integral part of the game, and having top gear throughout the leveling process was important to get invites and successfully level quickly.

Nowadays leveling is just a necessary evil. Its something you pound through as fast as possible due to Trusts, changes to the exp return per mob, and RoV quests that will boost that exp amount even further. Hell, people even pay to get powerleveled up to 99 in a day (not suggesting that for just coming back, there's nothing wrong with learning the basics of your job through slower leveling at first).

In other words, don't fret if your leveling gear is kinda meh. You'll be off to the next piece needed within a few hours of gameplay so its just not worth investing in high end gear just yet. Its a hard switch to make mentally from "back in the day" type leveling, but once you make the switch you'll move much faster.
[+]
By Wardens 2019-10-09 12:23:13  
Thanks very much everyone for the answers so far! I truly appreciate it. This is a big help. Now to figure out how to do ambuscade. I'm excited!

EDIT: You guys are awesome. I'm so happy to see the FFXI community is still willing to help perpetual noobs such as myself. :)
[+]
 Asura.Botosi
user: Botosi
By Asura.Botosi 2019-10-09 12:30:17  
Wardens said: »
Thanks very much everyone for the answers so far! I truly appreciate it. This is a big help. Now to figure out how to do ambuscade. I'm excited!

EDIT: You guys are awesome. I'm so happy to see the FFXI community is still willing to help perpetual noobs such as myself. :)

I don't think i saw it in the replies, but you'll honestly be better doing a support job in the mean time as well (or BLU). Get it to 99, do your missions and quests, stack up your bread (and gear your support job (or BLU)), and then work on a DD like SAM.

Sam will require a LOT of gil/time/gear to be invited to anything relevant. It'd be very frustrating trying to join things as a returning SAM.
[+]
 Cerberus.Drayco
サーバ: Cerberus
user: Drayco
By Cerberus.Drayco 2019-10-09 13:59:01  
He makes a great point... It's one of the most frustrating things about FFXI to me. Playing some other job to gear the job you really want to play that nobody will let you play. Story of my life with Drk... I'm always playing something else to gear up that job.
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2019-10-09 14:00:15  
You could always play a better game that doesn't force you to do that. *shrug*

Don't want to gear GEO/BRD just so you can use DRK then get stuck on GEO/BRD for everything anyway? Just don't do it.
[+]
By SimonSes 2019-10-09 14:05:28  
The esiest gil to farm for new/returning player is by far Swarts in Omen, not Ambuscade imo. It doesnt require as good equip as most D-VD Ambuscade. You can do it on SAM/thf if you want, while doing Ambuscade on SAM in groups will probably be at least problematic if you dont have very good gear as DD. Only downside is that you can only do one per day. Still you will get easy 1-2M in like 50 min and you should probably spend most time on missions/quest and leveling anyway, so doing one Omen per dsy for gils is perfect.
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Asura.Botosi
user: Botosi
By Asura.Botosi 2019-10-09 14:09:11  
When I came back 5-6 months ago I decided to work on BLU (with a WHM alt). Both BLU and WHM were extremely quick to gear up and I ended up loving BLU. BLU allowed me to catch up (makes a lot of gil/capable of farming a lot of NMs) on my DRK which now is geared pretty damn well.
[+]
By SimonSes 2019-10-09 14:15:20  
Asura.Kusaregedo said: »
omen is still down the road a bit for a not-even-99 account. sparks will always love you and give you gil, you never have to wait for anything to sell, and it only gets better the better your gear is. it is time consuming though.

Sorry I wasnt specific. Sparks are by far the easiest during gain exp. I was talking about Omen before Ambuscade. You can make more gils from ambu than from omen, but you need a spectrum of good equipped master jobs for that to always have an useful job for each month and be able to make at least D Ambuscade. Omen can be done with almost any DD job. You just need right trusts. Its also casual friendly. Its short and you can start whenever you want.
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2019-10-09 14:18:30  
12 hours until prize powders are "reasonable" even for casuals without luas. Gonna be interesting.

You would've had to have been batshit crazy to dump 100k accolades manually, but it's dropping from 20+ menu interactions to ~3 and 1000 sell interactions to 100. (or 3 with sellnpc)
[+]
 Asura.Aerox
By Asura.Aerox 2019-10-09 14:19:14  
You probably won't need too much money to begin with since a lot of the starter gear is rare/ex (i.e. ambu sets or omen accessories). Best thing to do is reach out to a LS. Especially on Asura there should be many recruiting. They can help by getting you into the group content and you'll get an idea of the jobs that would help them out that you might want to level next.

Just a suggestion to focus your gameplay a bit.
[+]
 Bahamut.Celebrindal
By Bahamut.Celebrindal 2019-10-09 14:29:41  
The logic makes sense when you break it down, though. Your standard party consists of 6 members- a Tank, a healer, 2 buffers, and 2 DDs. Only 2 jobs can handle Tank roles, 2 or maybe 3 (depending on the fight) can handle healer, 3 jobs can cover those 2 buffers, and 14 jobs can theoretically be DDs. If you're going to compete against those numbers and want to be a DD, you better stand out.

Now add to that the longevity of this game, and many of us have been playing straight for 10 years or more and therefore have multiple jobs leveled up/geared up/mastered. Consider that DD jobs are often the most expensive to fully gear, and you need to get involved in party/alliance content in order to get that gear, being able to offer something other than a DD job when first starting back up is imperative.

A well geared non-Idris GEO can be completely functional in a party setting quickly, and while not Best in Slot a smart GEO with proper gear is always appreciated. Same goes for a starter WHM who actually cares to play the game vs. a CurePlease alt. Yes, there are upgrades that will make those jobs better, but they're still functional in party/alliance setups.

A starter geared non-RMEA DRK however, is going to be lacking in key factors that prevent it from doing its job- dealing damage. And the most obvious problem is accuracy. Be that accuracy in your standard TP set, accuracy in your Weapon Skill sets, or accuracy in your DT set, its going to be a problem for beginning players on a first job. Access to HQ abjuration gear, being able to throw thousands of stones at Reisenjima sets, and a RMEA weapon up to Afterglow stage can and will add hundreds of accuracy points that simply cannot be made up other ways. You can't ask your buffers to go 100% accuracy buffs when other DDs in your party are properly geared and deserve attack buffs. It hurts the entire party.

So yes, we level and gear jobs for party situations to gear up our "true love" jobs. Or we have jobs we play in alliance situations and jobs we play solo. I find it much more a benefit to this game than a detriment that keeps interest. If you played 1 job 100% of the time, you could max out that job in a few short months and then be done with the game.
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2019-10-09 14:37:42  
It would've objectively been a better game if there weren't people "phoning it in" on (job) just so they can gear (other job) for later.

Getting people on (job) would've been even worse though, so there is that. but is there really a difference between no whms and only bad whms... not much.
[+]
By oyama 2019-10-09 15:15:08  
If you find a good group of people with diverse jobs, you won't have to worry too much about only being on a support job that you're only playing to gear your "real" job(s), in the long run. It's a rite of passage of sorts and once your DD (or w/e) job(s) are up to snuff, you should be able to rotate with other members since you'll be at their level (and they most likely have support jobs as well). Ideally, find a support job with low entry requirements that you actually like to play. Geo and Whm are the first ones that come to mind, but RUN is honestly not too hard to bring up to basic readiness either, and BLU is great for lowman and solo, and has a place in Omen with just easy-to-obtain nuking gear.

Finding a group you like that is helpful should probably be your #1 priority at first, and in the meantime the advice given here so far is solid.
[+]
 Bahamut.Eternallight
By Bahamut.Eternallight 2019-10-09 15:25:46  
Bard is also fairly easy to get to "acceptable".

While it takes times to get the Empy weapon for them, same with the Mythic weapon, the Ghorn can be farmed in less than a month, and you can have pretty great song abilities with about 40m gil tops (which as brought up prior requires about a single month ambu rewards).

It also has a lot of room to grow and its gear can be used by a lot of the light jobs, making it splash into run, thf, and dnc well.

It also doubles as a quite acceptable DD if you spend more gil on it.
[+]