users online
フォーラム » FFXI » General » Returning DRK with an "almost" finished Ragnarok
Returning DRK with an "almost" finished Ragnarok
 Ragnarok.Rintsumi
サーバ: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
user: Rintsumi
By Ragnarok.Rintsumi 2019-09-14 15:47:03  
So I took a long break from the game around at the time Adoulin came out, my main activities back then after gearing in Abyssea were daily Dynamis for Ragnarok while working on Caladbolg. When I left Caladbolg was at 39/50 CC Lanterns, which after learning the trust system and Bayld Gear I could solo quite easily as any class. Tried Isgebind and he was pretty easy too spaming stuns as DRK or DNC. At this point, instead of keep farming hearts, I went back to Dynamis to finish my Ragnarok first, started getting 300 coins per run on Valkurm, after getting used again, switching camps, and get the right trusts I can go as THF with subjob locked and consistently get a minimum of 650+ coins on each run, which normally ends up being 750+ with the white proc.

I was excited by the idea of finishing Ragnarok, and making all these trials after, I didn't find them boring but rather exciting after having my first relic and a new weapon for my Dark. While doing all this I started researching gear and builds, and it's when I found no one talked about Ragnarok or if they did, it's just to say how useless it is. Also I haven't seen any in the game, as all DKs wear a Caladbolg or scythes.

My current stage is 3, and I have 51 One Hundred Byne Bills and 70+ Ordelle's plus around 9 million from the Tukuku sold as I don't need them anymore. My idea was keep farming selling only Tukuku until I reach the 61 Hundred Bylls and buy the remaining Montiont, I can do this in a day or two. Since I came back I started reading this stuff about Ragnarok and I still was going to make it, I didn't even buy a Bayld weapon for my DRK while I did for my other classes since I wanted to gift him this special one.

After these couple weeks, I have been many times really close and 100% decided on go for stage 4, and after a while, reading some posts made me doubt myself yet again, I am writing this post in order to make me finally decide on what to do.

I don't want you guys to tell me what I want to hear, of course there's some feel of nostalgia, why else would I chose Ragnarok over Caladbolg seeing everyone's opinion, it is also a weapon I loved to make on every classic FF, but I'm not a player that can make huge amounts of money, the only place I know to make income is Dynamis, yet all I did to this point was only for the relic. One of the things too, I was comparing Ragnarok 99 augmented after finishing the 5 umbral marrow trial and Oboro 300 plutons ( https://ffxiclopedia.fandom.com/wiki/Ragnarok_(119) ) with Caladbolg 90 since I never thought I'd be able to gather 1500 plates and then 3000 Riftdross, but after someone mentioned in Reddit yesterday I don't need the 3k Riftdross stage, I thought if I almost finished a Ragnarok, I could do a little more and get these plates and 10300 of the stuff for augment later.

I also have a couple questions about Ragnarok, does it not have any unique trait that makes it worth making it for? Like, I think I read back in 2012 that the x2.5 damage of relics can proc on WS while Empyrean won't, which at least would make it a fun experience, also I have read thanks to Scourge it can light skillchain, I wonder if the first one is true, and if the second can make it worth to make.

What I need now is deciding on one of the two, I was planning on making Caladbolg after Ragnarok, but reading all this made me really confused and lose motivation. I could already have finished if not for this, so once I know which one to go for, Caladbolg alone or Ragnarok > Caladbolg I can finally focus and finish for good.
By DononofSylph 2019-09-14 15:56:05  
Finish your Cala and put your Rag in Storage. It is not a top tier great sword verse the other options available. If you want something quick get a Raetic Algol +1.

R15ing your Cala makes it an amazing weapon. Also work on Apoc for your DRK. R15 Apoc is priceless in quite a few situations.
[+]
By Taint 2019-09-14 16:09:53  
Ragnarok is unfortunately terrible in todays game.
[+]
 Cerberus.Kylos
サーバ: Cerberus
user: Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2019-09-14 16:36:10  
Don't be afraid by what people say about Ragnarok. No, it's not the best GS out there. You could put money into an algol, or get one from the Unity NM in Mount Zhayolm. But if you're a complestionist DRK, there is no shame in getting Ragnarok first.

Aside from getting my Redemption to 90, Rag was the first fully powered RMEA I got for the job, and it has served me very well. It still does, as I never got around to farming stuff to upgrade Caladbolg. The great thing about Rag is its accuracy, it will ensure you are always hitting the cap no matter what you fight, and your gearsets won't need as much accuracy in them compared to Caladbolg or other great swords.

It's a nice weapon to have if you've already started working on it. Why scrap it? If you're someone who has to finish what you start, then you should go for it. One day you can have both, and be happy knowing you have the option. You won't need to augment the Rag, just use it as a placeholder til you get better.
[+]
 Asura.Nebohh
サーバ: Asura
user: Kealohaa
By Asura.Nebohh 2019-09-14 16:38:42  
I know you probably don’t wanna hear it (again) but any current DRK will tell you there are better options than Rag. R15 Lib and R15 Cala go back and forth in my opinion. Rag sadly doesn’t even come close...

EDIT: But like what was mentioned, If you really wanna do it then do it. My Rag is AG’d but I rarely use it. Why did I do it? Cuz I wanted to.
[+]
 Bismarck.Firedemon
サーバ: Bismarck
user: Firedemon
By Bismarck.Firedemon 2019-09-14 17:24:05  
Cerberus.Kylos said: »
Why scrap it? If you're someone who has to finish what you start, then you should go for it.

Because it's a low end weapon that can be topped by a simple Unity drop. If you need the accuracy from Ragnarok, you're getting the wrong buffs.
 Quetzalcoatl.Khajit
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
user: Khajit
By Quetzalcoatl.Khajit 2019-09-14 18:13:41  
Plop it as an extremely low priority side project incase SE magically decides to give new content that needs an obscene amount of accuracy buffs or gives it an upgrade.
I don't know about your server, but currency was dropping to as low as 1k each last month , so instead of farming currency, I'd suggest using gainxp or other options (eg ambuscade) to just buy the remaining currency as it's barely over 5 mil left on your stage due to prices bouncing back.
By Nariont 2019-09-14 18:46:35  
Rag unfortunately has fallen off over time, its biggest draw in the past was its high accuracy in a game where every bit of acc mattered but after 2 eva nerfs and better gear its seldom necessary, and without that niche many other GS will compete if not overtake it as a weapon, leaving its only remaining draw being its your only fusion GS WS, which is nice to have in the toolbox, but you also wont see a lot of use in that either more than likely, plus scourge is a very middling dmg ws.

Meanwhile calad is just a stupidly strong weapon and its only gotten better as more WSD gear and R15 came around to bump torcleaver even higher, also theres the fact calad does white dmg better than rag ever could, the crit rate/relic 2.5x dmg proc is nothign compared to the 30~50% triple dmg calad AM gives
 Ragnarok.Rintsumi
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Rintsumi
By Ragnarok.Rintsumi 2019-09-15 08:29:29  
Thanks for all your answers guys! I'll think and decide what to do based on this information.
 Bahamut.Shozokui
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Shozokui
By Bahamut.Shozokui 2019-09-15 09:15:12  
Hey bud,

I always advise my new DRK buddies to build a strong Resolution set and use Montante +1 until you get yourself a Caladbolg or Liberator.

In total, Caladbolg is about 800 DPS ahead at BiS status (this requires some perfect augments from Oseem). My personal recommendation is to make Caladbolg. You have to manage your enmity a little more, but it's so simple to just do really well. Have TP? -> Torcleaver. Doesn't get more simplistic than that.

To speak to your original question, Ragnarok 121-A's DPS loses to Raetic +1 in terms of resolution spammers. So even if you spend the 120m (roughly) to R15 the weapon, you're not going to get much use out of it. It's fully worth it to finish your Caladbolg first ~ you're pretty close already.
[+]
 Bahamut.Balduran
user: balduran
By Bahamut.Balduran 2019-09-17 12:55:22  
Bahamut.Shozokui said: »
Hey bud,

I always advise my new DRK buddies to build a strong Resolution set and use Montante +1 until you get yourself a Caladbolg or Liberator.

In total, Caladbolg is about 800 DPS ahead at BiS status (this requires some perfect augments from Oseem). My personal recommendation is to make Caladbolg. You have to manage your enmity a little more, but it's so simple to just do really well. Have TP? -> Torcleaver. Doesn't get more simplistic than that.

To speak to your original question, Ragnarok 121-A's DPS loses to Raetic +1 in terms of resolution spammers. So even if you spend the 120m (roughly) to R15 the weapon, you're not going to get much use out of it. It's fully worth it to finish your Caladbolg first ~ you're pretty close already.

Hi Shozo! further to your valuable comparison between the Rag and Raetic +1 in regards to how superior a non-rema GS would be for resolution spamming, what in your opinion would be the ultimate best performing resolution great sword in the game for a strictly resolution WS set?

I am thinking between the following: (with my assumption they would beat the Raetic Algol +1 and R15 Cala)

A very well or perfectly augmented Zulfiqar VS the recently released Zantetsuken X great sword from Odin prime.

Thanks!
 Bahamut.Shozokui
By Bahamut.Shozokui 2019-09-17 13:19:49  
Bahamut.Balduran said: »
Hey bud,

Hi Shozo! further to your valuable comparison between the Rag and Raetic +1 in regards to how superior a non-rema GS would be for resolution spamming, what in your opinion would be the ultimate best performing resolution great sword in the game for a strictly resolution WS set?

I am thinking between the following: (with my assumption they would beat the Raetic Algol +1 and R15 Cala)

A very well or perfectly augmented Zulfiqar VS the recently released Zantetsuken X great sword from Odin prime.

Thanks!

Actually don't have the numbers for R15 Cala spamming Resolution. I'll check it out and post back.
 Bahamut.Celebrindal
By Bahamut.Celebrindal 2019-09-17 13:31:09  
Hey bud,

Thanks!

Actually don't have the numbers for R15 Cala spamming Resolution. I'll check it out and post back.

I'll definitely let Shoz crank the numbers for ya, but in terms of practicality, there are only a few times I could see a DRK needing to spam Resolution, and those are times when you are purposely trying to avoid Skillchains...such as when fighting Kin or Onychophora...and everyone is using a Fragmentation property WS (Like Savage Blade/Resolution). Outside of that, I really can't think of any reason you'd default to Reso on DRK. While Resolution might have been king for WARs, DRKs, and RUNs for a long time, modern gear and weaponry has made it really only a tool for Rune Fencers...DRKs have much better options (ie Torcleaver) for raw damage.
[+]
By volkom 2019-09-17 14:59:28  
Torcleaver everything!
[+]
 Bismarck.Nickeny
サーバ: Bismarck
user: Nickeny
By Bismarck.Nickeny 2019-09-17 15:24:55  
2018 - kylos is a good drk

2019 - dont listen to that narc
[+]
 Bahamut.Empyrean
By Bahamut.Empyrean 2019-09-17 16:51:32  
I am going to reiterate the "make calad," that has been said several times.
I have ag rag and ag calad, I put rag in storage long ago, it is so far in storage I don't think dust can get onto it.
I do NOT suggest finishing rag at all. (unless you want it for completion) At this point, rag is just a gil sink and there is no point in finishing it.
As for Calad and spamming reso, don't. Drk currently way better designed for torc spam, especially with calad.
 Valefor.Yandaime
サーバ: Valefor
user: Yandaime
By Valefor.Yandaime 2019-09-17 17:20:46  
I think the community needs to come together and petition/beg SE to make some strides for fixing Rag.. Like if you increase it's Delay to 450+ it will at least be VIABLE. Like that will probably increase it's power quite a bit because that is it's single biggest problem is it's so damn light that other GSs are TP-feeding literal circles around it.
[+]
 Bahamut.Shozokui
By Bahamut.Shozokui 2019-09-17 17:50:22  
Bahamut.Empyrean said: »
I have ag rag and ag calad, I put rag in storage long ago, it is so far in storage I don't think dust can get onto it.
I do NOT suggest finishing rag at all. (unless you want it for completion) At this point, rag is just a gil sink and there is no point in finishing it.
As for Calad and spamming reso, don't. Drk currently way better designed for torc spam, especially with calad.

The question wasn't "Is Reso better than Torc", it's which sword has the highest resolution DPS, for which we need numbers. Everyone knows Torc is better than Reso, but you have to use it sometimes.
[+]
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
サーバ: Leviathan
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2019-09-17 18:40:13  
When 99-119 was the extent of the weapons, finishing a nearly complete RME made a lot more sense. Now, you're looking at 30-40m in plutons and another 120m in astrals for the augment.. and you don't want to sink all of that into anything but the best.

So, as much as I hate to throw another plug into caladbolg, here it is.
By volkom 2019-09-17 19:03:37  
Valefor.Yandaime said: »
I think the community needs to come together and petition/beg SE to make

a multi-hit ws version of Torcleaver called Torcleavers
[+]
 Leviathan.Nitenichi
サーバ: Leviathan
user: camaroz
By Leviathan.Nitenichi 2019-09-17 19:10:54  
Bahamut.Celebrindal said: »
Hey bud,

Thanks!

I'll definitely let Shoz crank the numbers for ya, but in terms of practicality, there are only a few times I could see a DRK needing to spam Resolution, and those are times when you are purposely trying to avoid Skillchains...such as when fighting Kin or Onychophora...and everyone is using a Fragmentation property WS (Like Savage Blade/Resolution). Outside of that, I really can't think of any reason you'd default to Reso on DRK. While Resolution might have been king for WARs, DRKs, and RUNs for a long time, modern gear and weaponry has made it really only a tool for Rune Fencers...DRKs have much better options (ie Torcleaver) for raw damage.

I love Torcleaver as much as the guy above me, but Liberator is hardly a weapon to leave out of discussion. It's extremely powerful and not a horrible Mythic nor is Insurgency.
[+]
 Bahamut.Empyrean
By Bahamut.Empyrean 2019-09-17 21:20:37  
Bahamut.Empyrean said: »

The question wasn't "Is Reso better than Torc", it's which sword has the highest resolution DPS, for which we need numbers. Everyone knows Torc is better than Reso, but you have to use it sometimes.

That is odd, I thought I was responding to the OP, not your conversation about Reso.

The OP asked specifically "What I need now is deciding on one of the two."
He never once asked about Reso or even Montante +1, you kind of just highjacked the thread and make it seem like everyone was responding to you.
 Asura.Aquatiq
user: Aquatiq
By Asura.Aquatiq 2019-09-17 23:30:19  
volkom said: »
Valefor.Yandaime said: »
I think the community needs to come together and petition/beg SE to make

a multi-hit ws version of Torcleaver called Torcleavers
Fourcleaver
 Asura.Veikur
By Asura.Veikur 2019-09-18 00:20:23  
If you're allowed to throw a single Torcleaver out to get AM3 up, Caladbolg is probably gonna be your best bet regardless of your primary weapon skill.

Zantetsuken X has; Damage+9, STR+5, Delay+26, STP+6, ACC+20, ATT+48, Haste+7 and a maaaaaaaybe useful occasionally ignores defense thing going for it.

AM3 out of the question, Zantetsuken X SHOULD pull ahead.
 Bahamut.Aquatic
user: hydro
By Bahamut.Aquatic 2019-09-18 00:24:15  
To be fair, Ragnarok is not "the worst weapon ever". Please don't take everyone's opinion of it thus far as such.

Ragnarok has quite a few positives, high accuracy, high crit rate, Occ deals 2.5x damage, etc. To be fair, it can get the job done in omen, dynamis, etc etc. Is it your peak potential? Of course not, but if your play style, time, IRL responsibilities, only limit you to taking the easier option for now, just go for it.

Think of it like a stepping stone, use it to build yourself up if need be. Play around with the gear you get here and there, since you said you're a returning player, and most importantly have fun meeting those accomplishments along the way.
[+]
 Asura.Smoky
user: Aubain
By Asura.Smoky 2019-09-18 05:34:39  
Just make Caladbolg AG and R15 when you can. Have fun.
 Bahamut.Shozokui
By Bahamut.Shozokui 2019-09-18 08:38:38  
Bahamut.Aquatic said: »
To be fair, Ragnarok is not "the worst weapon ever". Please don't take everyone's opinion of it thus far as such.

Ragnarok has quite a few positives, high accuracy, high crit rate, Occ deals 2.5x damage, etc. To be fair, it can get the job done in omen, dynamis, etc etc. Is it your peak potential? Of course not, but if your play style, time, IRL responsibilities, only limit you to taking the easier option for now, just go for it.

Think of it like a stepping stone, use it to build yourself up if need be. Play around with the gear you get here and there, since you said you're a returning player, and most importantly have fun meeting those accomplishments along the way.

The point is it's worse than inexpensive, easily obtained weapons. So dumping any money into it for a returning player is bad. Better spent elsewhere.
[+]
 Bahamut.Empyrean
By Bahamut.Empyrean 2019-09-18 12:13:05  
Bahamut.Aquatic said: »

The point is it's worse than inexpensive, easily obtained weapons. So dumping any money into it for a returning player is bad. Better spent elsewhere.

Upvoted, that is the same point I was making. If he doesn't have one and he is still in the process of making both. Stop spending gil on the lesser of the two, just go for gold.
[+]