Will WoW Classic Affect FFXI Playability?

言語: JP EN DE FR
2010-06-21
New Items
users online
フォーラム » FFXI » General » Will WoW Classic affect FFXI playability?
Will WoW Classic affect FFXI playability?
First Page 2 3 ... 10 11 12

Undelete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
By fonewear 2019-07-23 17:27:22  
This thread is very important I'll be sure to forward it to SE headquarters post haste !

Also FFXI is doomed I tells ya ! Doomed !
[+]
 Bahamut.Negan
サーバ: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: Negan
By Bahamut.Negan 2019-07-23 17:37:14  
DirectX said: »
Has any once popular MMORPG ever actually closed down? AFAIK even ancient things like Ragnarok, Everquest etc. never closed down.
SWG because BioWare got rights to SW games, and proceeded to make the wonderful SWTOR :|
[+]
By Shichishito 2019-07-23 18:06:29  
if home was like FFXI most of use wouldn't play cause we'd be busy burning our houses down.
hopefully it drives enough players away so SE sees themselfs forced to merge servers in fear they'd lose the rest of the population if they didn't.

the reason people keep sticking to one MMO is cause they already invested so many hours. quitting for good would feel like all the time spent was for nothing. meanwhile they aren't realising they keep sacrificing more and more of their time and resources (for alt accounts) just to keep the illusion alive that the lost hours, days and years had some sort of meaning.

Post deleted by User.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2019-07-23 18:25:32  
I'm not sure what the dumbest part of the thread is: it's premise, the thought that we need a server merge or that "more storage" is a practical solution.
[+]
 Leviathan.Andret
サーバ: Leviathan
user: Andret
By Leviathan.Andret 2019-07-23 18:42:31  
FFXI is ran using ancient technologies. Like the 33.6kb modem. It requires ancient knowledge to make improvements.

Post deleted by User.
 Sylph.Kuwoobie
サーバ: Sylph
user: Kuwoobie
By Sylph.Kuwoobie 2019-07-23 20:04:22  
Back in 2005, I was one of those people who looked down on WoW players and called them filthy casuals. Around 2010 I actually started playing the game.

...but then WoW kind of started to suck. I played WoD, Legion and BFA but they all have felt incredibly unsatisfying.

I still play WoW on free private servers that run older expansions, and I enjoy them. I also play FFXI.

Basically, I play WoW for pvp, and FFXI for everything else. I'm going to really enjoy murdering random people who are just trying to do quests in Classic WoW.

Post deleted by User.
 Fenrir.Aladeus
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Aladeus
By Fenrir.Aladeus 2019-07-23 20:46:21  
Private servers aren't always the best, depending where you go. sometimes the ppl running them can't get some quests to work right, or have glitches they don't know how to fix, or what have you. I played on an FFXI where you could only make relic weapons cuz they couldn't get salvage to work. Or I heard of a few others that use the same placeholder NM for some things instead of having BCNM's work properly. Also, GMs weren't always the best at answering tickets at times.

With official Blizzard support, everything should work properly (in theory), plus there should be more ppl cuz it's "official." It's also safer since the MMO companies can issue cease and desist orders any time they feel like it. So that would be an even bigger waste of time in the end, watching over your shoulder, waiting for your stuff to get deleted before your eyes.
By Shichishito 2019-07-23 21:50:20  
If you could answer without sounding like a self-hating sociopath it would be appreciated.
don't be silly.
[+]
 Asura.Ladyofhonor
サーバ: Asura
By Asura.Ladyofhonor 2019-07-23 23:17:44  
Leviathan.Comeatmebro said: »
wow(and 14) are nothing like 11, they're just rotation hammering and dodging moves.. 11 is easier but at the same time it's much more open and allows variety of strategy

I'm currently (sorta) giving XIV a shot and this is very much one of my big misses from XI. XI is a ton easier, for sure, but it being easier allowed for a lot MORE to be possible from someone if you can configure it. In XIV, NIN is a DPS job, I have absolutely no ability to run it for evasion, tank in any real fashion (boss looks at me and I'm dead usually lol), I hit my buttons as fast as I can, run out of all the ***being thrown around, and that's the whole thing. In XI, my THF can evasion tank Dynamis, can turtle almost as good as a tank (same DT as non-mythic tank, slightly lower base defense depending on setup), can toss in MEVA to pretend to be a RUN, and lead the parse in almost all content. What I can accomplish is so drastic and varied it feels great.

The crafting of XIV is actually amazing, but I can only really get into the battle aspect because of friends. Which, coincidentally, are also why I opted to give XIV a shot and take a break from XI, lol.
 Sylph.Kuwoobie
サーバ: Sylph
user: Kuwoobie
By Sylph.Kuwoobie 2019-07-23 23:31:30  
Sylph.Kuwoobie said: »
free private servers that run older expansions,
Didn't know this existed, what benefit will an official version actually bring then?

I played the leaked and cracked Halo online pvp for PC for a short while but the hosts of servers always had massive benefits and loads of people were hacking. I'm looking forward to an official version that avoids those.

I usually play WotLK and Burning Crusade and MoP on Warmane:

https://www.warmane.com/

They have been around since about 2010 and have grown tremendously since then. Unlike other servers they're based out of Russia so Blizzard can't touch them. Their WotLK has a huge population and almost 100% of everything on it works like it should. They also have solid anticheat now so its rare to find anyone hacking.

They don't do vanilla/classic though. So I'll probably resub to retail when it comes out. I never actually got to play vanilla WoW back in the day so I'm anxious to get a crack at it. It'll be fun to world pvp without resilience and everyone including clothies running around like tanks like in today's game ><
By Jetackuu 2019-07-23 23:57:37  
Jetackuu said: »
I'm not sure what the dumbest part of the thread is: it's premise, the thought that we need a server merge or that "more storage" is a practical solution.

What is "dumb" about wondering if anyone else is planning to stop playing this game for another when it launches?

What is "dumb" about a guy that, I assume, doesn't want to play on an empty server without paying to get around it? How would server merges not be beneficial for all but 2 servers?

What is "dumb" about desiring more storage without needing to mule for it?

If you could answer without sounding like a self-hating sociopath it would be appreciated.

The fact that you have to ask any of that proves that you're out of touch with just about everything including logic.

I'm not even going to touch the first one, I can't without laughing my *** off.

Server merges aren't needed, and part into the last bit: you obviously don't comprehend how the game works or the severe stress that is already on it to get it to be somewhat stable as-is with the load that is on it.

inb4 # of player comment that is entirely irrelevant to the modern game.
By Jetackuu 2019-07-23 23:58:31  
But seriously nobody is quitting XI to play lolwow, and if they are then the community is better off for it.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
[+]
By Draylo 2019-07-24 03:56:39  
Bahamut.Negan said: »
Has any once popular MMORPG ever actually closed down? AFAIK even ancient things like Ragnarok, Everquest etc. never closed down.
SWG because BioWare got rights to SW games, and proceeded to make the wonderful SWTOR :|

That's one of the bigger ones that closed down. I used to play that so much back in the day.
[+]
 Odin.Senaki
サーバ: Odin
user: Senaki
By Odin.Senaki 2019-07-24 06:11:29  
I'm personally hoping that WoW Classic does well, akin to Runescape Classic and Maplestory Reboot. If it does, we might finally be able to get a 'FFXI Classic' server.

And yes, I'm going to try WoW Classic because I never got to play it at the time.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Ladyofhonor
By Asura.Ladyofhonor 2019-07-24 07:03:10  
Odin.Senaki said: »
I'm personally hoping that WoW Classic does well, akin to Runescape Classic and Maplestory Reboot. If it does, we might finally be able to get a 'FFXI Classic' server.

And yes, I'm going to try WoW Classic because I never got to play it at the time.

I think you MASSIVELY overcredit FFXI if you think WoW classic will have much impact on a FFXI classic. The scales of each game are massively different at its peak, as would be the potential success of a nostalgia redo.

The only thing I can hope for from SE in regards to the "continuation" of FFXI is they recognize there are multiple "brands" of MMO and they can have one like XI and one like XIV simultaneously being made/supported...and they give us a proper engine for a XI styled one.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Ladyofhonor
By Asura.Ladyofhonor 2019-07-24 07:14:20  
Asura.Ladyofhonor said: »
The scales of each game are massively different at its peak, as would be the potential success of a nostalgia redo.
What do you mean by scale? 11M WoW players vs 500k FFXI (300k?)? Or World map size?

Population. For the nostalgia factor to be successful you need a big population to draw from. And the time commitment of FFXI will push a LOT of the nostalgia away anyway.
 Cerberus.Drayco
サーバ: Cerberus
user: Drayco
By Cerberus.Drayco 2019-07-24 07:24:19  
The scales of each game are massively different at its peak, as would be the potential success of a nostalgia redo.
What do you mean by scale? 11M WoW players vs 500k FFXI (300k?)? Or World map size?

Population. For the nostalgia factor to be successful you need a big population to draw from. And the time commitment of FFXI will push a LOT of the nostalgia away anyway.
These days if you tell somebody they have to camp something like Kreutzet for 9-12+ hours to get a dagger for thief endgame... They would freak out.
[+]
 Asura.Ladyofhonor
By Asura.Ladyofhonor 2019-07-24 07:28:23  
Cerberus.Drayco said: »

These days if you tell somebody they have to camp something like Kreutzet for 9-12+ hours to get a dagger for thief endgame... They would freak out.

It's actually wild we accepted that back in the day. But then I had dropped out of college, was depressed, and living in my mother's basement, so what the *** else did I have to do but make a relic and be an *** on all the forums?
[+]
By FaeQueenCory 2019-07-24 07:34:00  
Jetackuu said: »
Server merges aren't needed, and part into the last bit: you obviously don't comprehend how the game works or the severe stress that is already on it to get it to be somewhat stable as-is with the load that is on it.
I kinda disagree with you on that one. They probably should merge some of the tiny servers together; but Odin and Asura (and I think Ragnarok or Quetzalcoatl, whichever is #3) don't need it.

But I imagine the 100ppl servers could use the influx.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
By ScaevolaBahamut 2019-07-24 08:09:42  
Once you've got to end game and got the few best pieces of gear, it is game over though. There is nothing else. So surely these Classic games could only have 2-3 years lifespan for people starting out? Unlike FFXI and WoW which many people have played for 15-17 years straight.

It's unknown. Nobody's played WoW in the same state for longer than...6 months, during the content drought at the end of Warlords of Draenor, I think? People are really underestimating how quickly they're going to get bored: they'll get to Ragnaros in the first Molten Core lockout and then nobody will kill him because who wants to farm up fire resistance in 2019?

I'm not especially looking forward to Classic and I don't know what anyone expects. I'd rather play the modern WoW with its 15 years of QA and the current version isn't even an especially good iteration of the game.

Eagerly awaiting people yelling for a Burning Crusade server by October.
[+]
 Asura.Ladyofhonor
By Asura.Ladyofhonor 2019-07-24 08:52:14  

Lots of the early Empyrean weapon trial NMs are still 3hrs+ and can take 6-8hrs. They made all original zone NMs repop time really short but they didn't do the same for RoTZ and CoP areas.

Also how is the time commitment vs WoW? It didn't help that I chose DRG but it took me about 10 months to get my first 75, although I was 17 with a lot more free time then.

The original draw of WoW was that it was EQ-ish but with a lot of timesinks removed. You leveled mostly through quests, so solo leveling is entirely viable, and you can buy food from an NPC to near-instantly restore HP/MP. I'm not 100% that was in vanilla, but it was in BC. You can also team up for dungeons and if 2 people get to the dungeon, you can summon the other 3 members of your group, so two people can help the lazy ones get to clear ***. Overall WoW is a LOT lighter on massive timesinks compares to any MMO that was before it, and that was a large part of why it became so massively popular.
 Asura.Lotomos
user: Lotomos
By Asura.Lotomos 2019-07-24 09:07:56  

Lots of the early Empyrean weapon trial NMs are still 3hrs+ and can take 6-8hrs. They made all original zone NMs repop time really short but they didn't do the same for RoTZ and CoP areas.

Also how is the time commitment vs WoW? It didn't help that I chose DRG but it took me about 10 months to get my first 75, although I was 17 with a lot more free time then.

The original draw of WoW was that it was EQ-ish but with a lot of timesinks removed. You leveled mostly through quests, so solo leveling is entirely viable, and you can buy food from an NPC to near-instantly restore HP/MP. I'm not 100% that was in vanilla, but it was in BC. You can also team up for dungeons and if 2 people get to the dungeon, you can summon the other 3 members of your group, so two people can help the lazy ones get to clear ***. Overall WoW is a LOT lighter on massive timesinks compares to any MMO that was before it, and that was a large part of why it became so massively popular.

Summoning isn't in unless you have a Warlock, but the rest is true.

Classic wows grind is shorter than XIs but they're also completely different. OSRS has a longer grind than both I'm pretty sure.
First Page 2 3 ... 10 11 12