Phishing Installer Going Around?

言語: JP EN DE FR
2010-06-21
New Items
users online
フォーラム » FFXI » General » Phishing Installer going around?
Phishing Installer going around?
 Asura.Aeonova
サーバ: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: aeonova
By Asura.Aeonova 2019-06-03 21:23:58  
Edit: It seems this was a knee-jerk reaction to what legitimately seemed like a basic phishing scam. Clunky old FFXI art from Abyssea days. A URL that didn't blatantly state it was redirecting to the official POL site. The timing of the official new installer which could easily be spoofed to have a keylogging kit (or worse in it) if they really wanted to do that, now would be a good time. Remember to always verify where you're getting installers and such from.

Click the spoiler tag for the OP:
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2019-06-03 22:17:16  
Asura.Aeonova said: »
Facebook
Found the problem right there!
[+]
 Odin.Senaki
サーバ: Odin
user: Senaki
By Odin.Senaki 2019-06-03 22:48:50  
That's just awful. This will almost exclusively prey upon returning players that don't know any better.
[+]
By Shichishito 2019-06-03 23:17:39  
them nasty scammers are after the 50 gil from adventurer coupon!
[+]
 Ifrit.Showmo
サーバ: Ifrit
user: showmo456
By Ifrit.Showmo 2019-06-03 23:32:10  
I think you might've jumped the gun here...

According to simplywhois, you can see that playffxi.com is registered to "Square Enix Limited", AKA "Square Enix Europe" (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Square_Enix_Europe); it also redirects you to playffxi.square-enix-games.com. The website registration date is 2017-11-14, so it isn't that new.

The registrant email for the site, hostmaster-see@square-enix.com, is also registered with several other familiar domains (playonline.com, mogstation.com, etc): https://website.informer.com/email/hostmaster-see@square-enix.com.

Moreover, the "Play Now" button on playffxi.com redirects to the official installer on the PlayOnline site. Seems to be a legitimate promotion site for the game tailored towards returning players.
 Asura.Aeonova
By Asura.Aeonova 2019-06-03 23:52:40  
Some person had replied in the comments that it was a phishing site. I didn't bother clicking the link as I didn't recognize the playffxi.com (and that just sounds like a made up url for phishing). I certainly didn't go so far as to get detailed information about all that effort you put in.

Better safe than sorry, I guess.
 Ifrit.Showmo
サーバ: Ifrit
user: showmo456
By Ifrit.Showmo 2019-06-04 00:24:59  
Yeah, definitely. Always better to play it safe. You're right though, the domain name did seem a bit sketchy, so I ran it through a few checks to make sure and figured I'd post the findings ;)

Undelete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
By kishr 2019-06-04 05:13:28  
Download from official Pol website.
Why dl from a different location.
You deserve hacks if you did.
 Asura.Elizabet
user: Elizabet
By Asura.Elizabet 2019-06-04 10:25:10  
kishr said: »

That's akin to saying someone deserved to be raped cause they dressed sexy. Ok maybe not that bad, but still victim shaming...

:/
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2019-06-04 10:28:20  
Asura.Elizabet said: »

That's akin to saying someone deserved to be raped cause they dressed sexy. Ok maybe not that bad, but still victim shaming...

Better way to say it then:

What plausible reason would there be to download a large client from the official, first-person source when it's free and has no add-ons that you wouldn't want to have (aka ads and "freeware")? Why would anyone download said software elsewhere with the above conditions being true?
By DaneBlood 2019-06-09 00:16:30  
Some person had replied in the comments that it was a phishing site. I didn't bother clicking the link as I didn't recognize the playffxi.com (and that just sounds like a made up url for phishing). I certainly didn't go so far as to get detailed information about all that effort you put in.

Better safe than sorry, I guess.

should really learn to facts check before spreading "news"
No wonder old myth lives so long wheb people cant do a 5 min check before posting

it took me 5 min to follow the link and see that lead straight up to the same link you provided as the good one.

You aint helping anyone being safe by spreading false and misleading information.

its the same location OP was just lazy and spreads misinformation because he/she was to lazy to do facts checking first
 Asura.Meliorah
user: DatGoose
By Asura.Meliorah 2019-06-09 01:19:33  
don't blame them, the internet is a 5p00ky p1@c3.
 Asura.Aeonova
By Asura.Aeonova 2019-06-09 02:35:51  
DaneBlood said: »

...and if that non-POL / non-SquareEnix url had sent you somewhere with a keylogger, you would have... you would have...

DaneBlood said: »

Within two hours Ifrit.Showmo pointed out that the url was from SE and not a scam. I corrected the OP, but left it in a spoiler tag in case anyone wanted to read the OP uncorrected. It's not the worst idea to remind people to stay vigilant for phony phishing sites, regardless. What is a bad idea is to bump a 5-day-old thread that probably should have died with useless "ermahgerd it's teh facts I don't like"-like comments. Calm it down. You're going to be okay.
By Jetackuu 2019-06-09 11:04:14  
Somebody is butthurt for being called out.
[+]
 Cerberus.Senkyuutai
サーバ: Cerberus
user: Yuffy
By Cerberus.Senkyuutai 2019-06-09 11:26:21  
Woah, dude spent 20min on a meme generator to saveface. That's some next level ***I haven't seen since 2008 BG forums.
[+]
By DaneBlood 2019-06-09 16:26:51  
A lot of time trying to spin this

You are really trying Hard to justifying you jumping the gun..
Is it really that bad for you to admit you where in the wrong and move on?

Besides my comment was not to your OP.
Again fact checks missing
 Asura.Aeonova
By Asura.Aeonova 2019-06-09 16:33:10  
 Asura.Chaostaru
By Asura.Chaostaru 2019-06-09 17:10:52  
Asura.Elizabet said: »

Id say its more like a chick willingly walking into a known rapists house, then taking every drug handed to her willingly.
phishing is essentially the Nigerian prince scam these days. you fall for it, you kinda deserve it.