Vet. So You Want To PUG.

言語: JP EN DE FR
2010-06-21
New Items
users online
フォーラム » FFXI » General » Vet. So you want to PUG.
Vet. So you want to PUG.
First Page 2 3 4
By mhomho 2019-04-07 11:47:27  
Frequently I see the word vet thrown around the community.

Vet has become an abbreviation for the noun veteran. It wasn't always like this as vet used to be a verb for the act of a party leader actively checking the equipment and player knowledge before inviting them to team up. When I see people shouting for vets or veterans I think they are no better than people shouting for REMA players. Basically, lazy party leaders that try to subvert doing their job by trying to utilize buzz words (or worse, party leaders that want to merc without compensating their team members accordingly). I'll admit I'm just as lazy and have been punished for accepting people without proper consideration.

If you make the party, scout your party members before inviting them and vet properly. If someone scouts you and you aren't up to snuff, then don't take it out them. Go work on yourself. Even players with multiple REMA for mastered jobs can still just be terrible. They might be a veteran in terms of how long they've been subscribed, but if you're properly vetting you'll have none of them.

This leads us into endgame eschalons, another type of vetting (the networking game as it were). Once people have all their shinies it becomes who you know. You might have an Idris GEO, but because so and so is friends with the leader they get the in over you. Conversely, your spot might get taken by someone that just plays your job better than you. It happens. People get salty about it. Instead of wallowing in it get better at your job. Go make your own parties. Most importantly, realize the blame will usually be thrown on the party leader for not vetting teammates properly. The only reason the problem party member even showed up was because the leader invited them.

Not everyone wants to run a group through an event because of the burden of guilt.
By fonewear 2019-04-07 12:07:19  
I normally require an extensive background check before I join a pick up group. I need to know where you born...what you family was like when you were younger...then after a drug test...I allow you to join my party.
[+]
 Shiva.Ariaum
サーバ: Shiva
Game: FFXI
user: Ariaum
By Shiva.Ariaum 2019-04-07 13:13:39  
fonewear said: »
then after a drug test...I allow you to join my party.

Positive or Negitive? lol
[+]
 Cerberus.Kylos
サーバ: Cerberus
user: Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2019-04-07 13:47:11  
Is this another Asura thread? Getting tired of it being all about their problems.

I've used the term (Veteran) rarely in yells before, but it's usually when I'm taking a bunch of newer players to do something difficult (for the group) and need one or two veterans to help speed things up. There's no set criteria (like needing RMEA), only that the player has been around a long time and knows how to play the game without assistance from another.
[+]
By ScaevolaBahamut 2019-04-07 13:52:36  
I normally require an extensive background check before I join a pick up group. I need to know where you born...what you family was like when you were younger...then after a drug test...I allow you to join my party.

It's rather inefficient of you to put the onus on them to demonstrate all this when you could just run a credit check online. It's only, like, $20.
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
サーバ: Asura
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2019-04-07 13:56:38  
Vet is as meaningless as the game itself. The only people that shout vet are retards and should be treated as such.

Ask the next moron what he means when he shouts "vet" he won't even know how to answer. Every one of them have a different idea what it means.
[+]
By Shichishito 2019-04-07 14:28:16  
imagine how awesome things could be if SE at some point gave a damn and wrote a decent party finder.
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
サーバ: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2019-04-07 15:07:50  
the minute I see a shout asking for "vets", the first thing I think is "wow, how nice of them to welcome back our retired Navy,Army, Air Force, and Marines after defending our country!"

Then I realize how foolish it is to ask for a "vet" to this game when we all walk around in at best 1 of our umpteen sets of gear and at worst just town gear full of shinies. How are you supposed to judge someone's gear based on a /check? Or are you asking for someone who's done the content before and can carry you through instead of being a dutiful party leader and doing some research?

If you don't know how to do a certain thing in the content, either research it so you do or wait for a kind invite so that the person running things is actually the party leader. Nothing worse than seeing and accepting an invite to the month's "new" (and that word isn't even fair to use any more) ambuscade and then the leader asks "ok, so how does this go?"

tl;dr

The term vet in this game, in either noun or verb form, is worthless.
[+]
By mhomho 2019-04-07 15:52:55  
Leviathan.Celebrindal said: »
How are you supposed to judge someone's gear based on a /check?

>>Someone that doesn't know how to vet

If you can't tell the difference between someone's gearswap idlesets and modern day perle gear, then I have some bad news for you. You're part of the problem.

People hate on PUGs, but I look at it as no different than going down to the Y and hopping in on a basketball game. Nothing wrong with running PUGs. The people that like to talk poorly about them are the ones that think they deserve more. It's like that one night stand that lingers too long in the morning.

People think just cause we fooled around a little that:

or:

ScaevolaBahamut said: »
It's rather inefficient of you to put the onus on them to demonstrate all this when you could just run a credit check online. It's only, like, $20.

Listen: we're not getting married. Ya I might hook up with you again 'cause you were good, but how hard is it for lonely people to understand that others are independent.

You don't need to be the best. You could have poor gear and still get brought along if you have the right mindset. I'm much more inclined to bring a support with sub par gear that is willing to learn or ask question or just plain out try. The things I can't stand to bring are the type that show up to heal with their SCH and only have a magic burst set (lol forget about Light Arts, what's that) and then do nothing. I can't stand the WAR's that think because they got a Ragnarok and an Utu Grip that they can dance. The worst though, is the mutliple REMA player that wipes your party 3 times in a row because they can't turn for Pain Sync. It happens. I've been that person. It sucks.

Grow from it. If you ain't growin, you're dyin.
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2019-04-07 15:56:23  
***thread by ***player
[+]
By mhomho 2019-04-07 16:02:12  
Leviathan.Comeatmebro said: »
***thread by ***player

>>Someone that got vetted.

y u mad
 Bismarck.Firedemon
サーバ: Bismarck
user: Firedemon
By Bismarck.Firedemon 2019-04-07 16:34:59  
I just invite people based on the Mentor flag. Easiest way to avoid the donkey that uses that ***.
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
By Shichishito 2019-04-07 17:33:10  
DirectX said: »
Ironically most the people who shout for vets are also poorly geared and inadequate players also.

if they wouldn't shout and just flag up the argument was they just standing around in town waiting for stuff to happen. imho if they already can't contribute much to the party they still can contribute by building a shout party, usually a task no one likes to do.

it only becomes a *** move if they charge members for mercing.
 Leviathan.Andret
user: Andret
By Leviathan.Andret 2019-04-07 19:26:57  
Shichishito said: »
imagine how awesome things could be if SE at some point gave a damn and wrote a decent party finder.

Auto-party 5 Drks and 1 Brd. Absolute Metal Rock band party.

IDK, people have problems putting the right party with the right jobs, what could make you think some codes can make a party that is not totally crazy?

I think anyone with cap JP can be called a "vet" on that job. It doesn't mean much but at least you cap out all the stats compare to some guy with 100JP.
[+]
By Nariont 2019-04-07 19:39:27  
cant wait to wait 2 hrs for a whm to quene since theres no other healer, that or it slaps sch/rdm/dnc/smn in the slot and we disband immediately.
By Shichishito 2019-04-07 20:43:24  
Leviathan.Andret said: »
IDK, people have problems putting the right party with the right jobs, what could make you think some codes can make a party that is not totally crazy?

idk what makes you believe thats rocket sience. lots of games did it befor FFXI. most of them don't even charge a subscription.
By Afania 2019-04-07 21:06:13  
Leviathan.Andret said: »
I think anyone with cap JP can be called a "vet" on that job. It doesn't mean much but at least you cap out all the stats compare to some guy with 100JP.

But a guy with 100 JP and recycled HQ/DM/rema will still out perform another guy with 2100 and stuck in ambu +1 gears but nothing else.

Theres nothing in this game that will let a pt leader judge player quality except pt with them at least a few times. If a leader try to judge a player quality with any faster method it will never be accurate, period.

Shouting for vet or certain gear means absolutely nothing.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
By kishr 2019-04-07 22:20:04  
Always thought <veteran> meant geared, mastered and played that job for a decent ammount of time. never got offended when people used it.
[+]
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2019-04-07 22:48:05  
mhomho said: »
How are you supposed to judge someone's gear based on a /check?

>>Someone that doesn't know how to vet

If you can't tell the difference between someone's gearswap idlesets and modern day perle gear, then I have some bad news for you. You're part of the problem.

If you think my comment was referring to something as basic as the comparison of a true idle set and some NQ ambu gear....then son, I hate to break it to you, but your standards are too low. I can walk around Mhaura and see what may come across as acceptable idle/town gear (+2 ambu, loricate torque+1, the like), and the moment they get into an actual battle and don't have adequate DT sets that allow them to still hit the mob, or proper fastcast sets from your mages that you'll NEVER actually see on them, or proper WS sets as they correspond to the weaponskills being used, poof that "vetted" player is revealed as junk.

It can't be simplified down to a /check outside of the absolute worst case examples. Its the middle ground that's hard to actually identify.
[+]
 Asura.Chaostaru
By Asura.Chaostaru 2019-04-08 00:06:42  
Vet = geared decent(doesnt have to be rema) and 100% knows wtf theyre doing.
Rema = have a rema.
imo

Ill shout for vets based on my interpretation above.

Veteran whm "Can I have it" is simply a auto translate for "Know your motherfucking job, no noobs" which is quite different from Rema Whm "Can i have it"

Nothing wrong with it.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Hevans
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Hev
By Ragnarok.Hevans 2019-04-08 04:53:05  
Finally someone addressing real issues!
By mhomho 2019-04-08 05:05:37  
It can't be simplified down to a /check

It can.

If you think NQ ambuscade gear is modern Perle gear, your standards are too low. I know that's what you think is modern Perle, because that's the example you used, but it's deeper than that.

But it doesn't matter because you got relegated to Leviathan. Guess you couldn't figure out how to be a leader.

Tons of people in the thread missing the point thinking veteran should still be a thing because they want a word to describe what makes them special after playing as long as they have (because they want to segregate themselves from what they deem as lesser parts of the community).

God's greatest gift to man is discernment. You don't know how to make judgement calls. That's why you're really mad. God forbid you're wrong and have to apologize to people and be humble.

Don't call me son.
 Cerberus.Immortalmoon
サーバ: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Immortalmoon 2019-04-08 06:17:46  

does this make me a vet of campaign?
[+]
 Bismarck.Gippali
サーバ: Bismarck
user: Gippali
By Bismarck.Gippali 2019-04-08 07:47:27  
Asura.Chaostaru said: »
Vet = geared decent(doesnt have to be rema) and 100% knows wtf theyre doing.
Rema = have a rema.
imo

Ill shout for vets based on my interpretation above.

Veteran whm "Can I have it" is simply a auto translate for "Know your motherfucking job, no noobs" which is quite different from Rema Whm "Can i have it"

Nothing wrong with it.

Annnnndddd this right here is why this thread is hilariously dumb. The guy that had an AG masa had to ask how hasso/AF+3 hands worked, now explaining what “vet” means. People that ask for vets in shouts are morons and should be treated as such.
[+]
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2019-04-08 07:50:53  
Nah bro, I chose Leviathan. We got a tight little community over here where people are (mostly) respectful, the ambuscade queue never goes deeper than 15 at worst and usually I'd around 1 or 2, we get ***done and we're small small enough to where reputation means something.

I feel sorry for those who get relegated to Asura and the like. Just one in the crowd. And your replies only solidify my opinion on that.
[+]
 Asura.Phelence
user: Spainmail
By Asura.Phelence 2019-04-08 08:14:46  
Cerberus.Immortalmoon said: »

does this make me a vet of campaign?
Thank you for your service.
[+]
 Leviathan.Dekay
user: dekayx
By Leviathan.Dekay 2019-04-08 08:44:42  
Nah bro, I chose Leviathan. We got a tight little community over here where people are (mostly) respectful, the ambuscade queue never goes deeper than 15 at worst and usually I'd around 1 or 2, we get ***done and we're small small enough to where reputation means something.

Mostly. F that Celebrindal guy, such an ahole.
[+]
By mhomho 2019-04-08 10:41:58  
I chose Leviathan

Keep telling yourself that :]
First Page 2 3 4