Real Talk, I Need Some Advice.

言語: JP EN DE FR
2010-06-21
New Items
users online
フォーラム » FFXI » General » Real talk, I need some advice.
Real talk, I need some advice.
By gistofanything 2019-07-25 16:54:31  
I do have thf, I do have some gear for it (whether or not it's great is debatable). I do have DT gear as well.

I've got relic, empyrean, and aeonic instruments for BRD and just finished the introductory quest for brd mythic dagger. The biggest concern is what I should be doing instead to learn how to play the game since making rema won't really do that by itself.
 Leviathan.Andret
サーバ: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
user: Andret
By Leviathan.Andret 2019-07-25 17:30:24  
gistofanything said: »
Hello! Rather than make a new thread, I figured I'd just revive this one. I took a look back through what people have suggested, which pretty much boils down to "learn the basics" (with some provided bgwiki links), play lower and middle tier content solo, and go make a linkshell and/or some friends.

To give context, I've finished my harp through grinding alex (oh god) and burned out as a result, started the mythic questline by reaching captain, killing the 3 beastmen champions, and working my way through killing the 4 chariots (currently have arrapago remnants down, now working on getting down the other three). Took a break for a couple of months and am just now coming back with a clearer head. Would anyone be able to point me toward a content tier ladder? I understand that Delve is easier than Vagary, which is easier than Geas Fete, and so on, but as for soloing, I wouldn't know where to start or what to research. I can put making this mythic on hold while I go learn the basics, but I'm not really sure where I should start in-game (there are already links to some bgwiki articles earlier in the thread). Any help is appreciated!

This is my plan for a whole new character:

#1 Follow the speedrun guide loosely for ffxi.
War to lv50, either Drg or Mnk to lv99, unlock most missions and quests. Drg or Mnk lv117 gear can clear most contents below lv100. Skip to next step if bored but you should clear missions and stuff for gear and CP bonus. Recommended refresh earring from wings of the goddess before you can afford better gear for Whm.

#2 Rdm to 50, (optional: Sch to 50) and Whm to 99. Begin gearing for basic Whm gearsets. Idle, Cure and Fast Cast. Also look to unlock gears and gain CP on When until at least 1200JP.

#3 Farm ambu for Thf gear and money while filling out your Whm gear set. Recommend whm refresh/meva set and thf accuracy set plus ambu dagger. If you are bored or struggling then you can gear Drg or Mnk with NQ ambu gear to clear contents.

#4 level Thf to 99 and get TH+4 in gear and start farming in Omen.

With Omen as your #1 regular money making machine and ambu as your secondary source you can fund whatever job you want.

Alternative for Whm is Geo. Need similar gear sets but more hoops to jump so plan carefully.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
サーバ: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2019-07-25 17:31:45  
By gistofanything 2019-07-25 18:06:05  
Leviathan.Andret said: »
Hello! Rather than make a new thread, I figured I'd just revive this one. I took a look back through what people have suggested, which pretty much boils down to "learn the basics" (with some provided bgwiki links), play lower and middle tier content solo, and go make a linkshell and/or some friends.

To give context, I've finished my harp through grinding alex (oh god) and burned out as a result, started the mythic questline by reaching captain, killing the 3 beastmen champions, and working my way through killing the 4 chariots (currently have arrapago remnants down, now working on getting down the other three). Took a break for a couple of months and am just now coming back with a clearer head. Would anyone be able to point me toward a content tier ladder? I understand that Delve is easier than Vagary, which is easier than Geas Fete, and so on, but as for soloing, I wouldn't know where to start or what to research. I can put making this mythic on hold while I go learn the basics, but I'm not really sure where I should start in-game (there are already links to some bgwiki articles earlier in the thread). Any help is appreciated!

This is my plan for a whole new character:

#1 Follow the speedrun guide loosely for ffxi.
War to lv50, either Drg or Mnk to lv99, unlock most missions and quests. Drg or Mnk lv117 gear can clear most contents below lv100. Skip to next step if bored but you should clear missions and stuff for gear and CP bonus. Recommended refresh earring from wings of the goddess before you can afford better gear for Whm.

#2 Rdm to 50, (optional: Sch to 50) and Whm to 99. Begin gearing for basic Whm gearsets. Idle, Cure and Fast Cast. Also look to unlock gears and gain CP on When until at least 1200JP.

#3 Farm ambu for Thf gear and money while filling out your Whm gear set. Recommend whm refresh/meva set and thf accuracy set plus ambu dagger. If you are bored or struggling then you can gear Drg or Mnk with NQ ambu gear to clear contents.

#4 level Thf to 99 and get TH+4 in gear and start farming in Omen.

With Omen as your #1 regular money making machine and ambu as your secondary source you can fund whatever job you want.

Alternative for Whm is Geo. Need similar gear sets but more hoops to jump so plan carefully.

I've got all jobs at 99 - all main expansions have been completed. I have the wotg earring, but people tell me to get the tp bonus on it instead.

Do you mean 1200 jp on whm?

I have th9 on thf, but what would I farm in omen? Swart destrisus?
By Tarage 2019-07-25 19:18:09  
It really does sound like your bard is better geared than any other job so just do ***on your bard with people.

If you're trying to solo things, then pick a job that can solo, but realize you're going to be doing a lot of work to get that job up to soloable level.
 Leviathan.Andret
サーバ: Leviathan
user: Andret
By Leviathan.Andret 2019-07-25 22:18:07  
Then you shouldn't have much to worry about. You can simply buy alex for your mythic.

The refresh earring is only for new characters. It's very useful for brand new character without any refresh gear. You can change it later to TP earring once you have a proper DD. If you can afford some stinky rings for refresh then you don't need the refresh earring.

Solo content wise, Omen farming is probably the higher standard to make gil solo. Having a thf is useful. If you have another character then mercing Geas Fete is also decent. Otherwise, most people would farm Sparks and UNM for Gil.

For group efforts, Ambu is probably the standard for everyone. You get Gil and great gear from it. It's so great you can practically skip every other content and go straight to Ambu.

Below ambu would be Sinister Reign for those needing to beat the random. Delve is mostly for plasm farming and, I think, ranks bottom of the "group" content list because you need 3 people to start. Followed by Vagary. Mostly to unlock empy and weekly Gil but hard enough to require a couple active bodies.

Above ambu would be high-level battle field. Mostly for gear farming and rem's tales. Most people like fighting Very Difficult version because the rarer items would drop more often. Some of them can be soloed (esp the rem1-5 ones) on VD. Some of the harder ones would require a decent party.

Geas Fete is next. There are easier NM that you can solo and there are also tougher NMs that require a good party to consistently win. Mostly for gear, mercing and getting Aeonics.

Omen NM is harder than the easier Geas Fete but easier than the more difficult ones. You need a whole party of certain setups to reliably beat it.

There is a big difference between a 0JP job and a 2100JP job. From accuracy, abilities strenght to magic evasion, a 2100jp job would have 30-60 more of those stats or better abilities than a 0jp one. It's far better to have a 2100jp job doing most of the above contents than a 0jp ones.
[+]
 Siren.Mosin
サーバ: Siren
user: BKiddo
By Siren.Mosin 2019-07-26 09:01:01  
You can join up with me if you’re on Shiva, I’ll give you advice and drag you to some events.

don’t transfer here though, Applesmash likes our low population.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2019-07-26 09:20:22  
/transfers to Shiva for shits/giggles
 Siren.Mosin
By Siren.Mosin 2019-07-26 09:28:31  
foney didn’t want to hang out with us, I doubt you will.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2019-07-26 09:46:22  
Foney doesn't go there because I *bribed* him with Simpsons clips and pineapple pizza.
 Siren.Mosin
By Siren.Mosin 2019-07-26 09:52:58  
seems legit
 Valefor.Omnys
サーバ: Valefor
user: omnys
By Valefor.Omnys 2019-07-26 10:11:28  
Asura.Sechs said: »
Moderatly OT but how do you people "empty" your sparks? Manually?
Long time ago I was using an addon but that stopped working and I never bothered to find a new, working version.

Does that also apply to just casual gameplay to try and make some gil on the side?
From a certain point of view having 2100 JP or being zero is like being a level 70 character expecting to do level 75 content.
Just an example but I wanted to enforce the idea that JPs, in a way, are like "levels". I think that was their original intent and they resorted to that since our level was already 99 and they didn't wanna break past that.

I made an add on, while I played, that sent the navigation commands to buy the shields. Wasn't perfect, but it was better.

I don't have any of my old add-ons, but that one wasn't that hard to write.

Also, while all jobs have good some jp categories, some jobs don't need 2100 JP at all.
 Asura.Chaostaru
By Asura.Chaostaru 2019-07-26 10:21:46  
Valefor.Omnys said: »
Asura.Sechs said: »
Moderatly OT but how do you people "empty" your sparks? Manually?
Long time ago I was using an addon but that stopped working and I never bothered to find a new, working version.

Does that also apply to just casual gameplay to try and make some gil on the side?
From a certain point of view having 2100 JP or being zero is like being a level 70 character expecting to do level 75 content.
Just an example but I wanted to enforce the idea that JPs, in a way, are like "levels". I think that was their original intent and they resorted to that since our level was already 99 and they didn't wanna break past that.

I made an add on, while I played, that sent the navigation commands to buy the shields. Wasn't perfect, but it was better.

I don't have any of my old add-ons, but that one wasn't that hard to write.

Also, while all jobs have good some jp categories, some jobs don't need 2100 JP at all.

Theres an addon to empty 99k sparks in 4seconds.
 Valefor.Omnys
サーバ: Valefor
user: omnys
By Valefor.Omnys 2019-07-26 11:13:08  
Nice, there wasn't for a while when I played. The one tool for shields had stopped working.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [54 days between previous and next post]
By gistofanything 2019-09-18 06:27:33  
Gonna bump this again. Since July, I've found a wonderful linkshell with wonderful people in it, and I'm finally getting the chance to play with real people and do real content.

However. Outside of event times, I'm still doing the same song and dance of running around Port Jeuno, watching a lot of JP shouts and debating my life choices.

How do I work on progressing my character solo while people are afk for various reasons? I have an ok cleaving BLU, I've got my brd, I've got my whm, and 800~skill geo, regal cor, etc etc etc. Down to my last 7500 alex, then onto making the Fotia neck/belt and the Hachirin-no-obi, then finishing brd relic +3 set, then saving up the 80m for a brd neck +2. The common denominator to all of these is farming gil, it seems. Surely there's a better way to do that than to afk cleave dragons and puks in Zi'tah 24/7. :blobcatnauseated:
By Fayona 2019-09-18 06:54:13  
Kind of fun to read the history of this post and see you go from fledging “I don’t know what to do” to basically a full REMA Bard. Honestly how I make Gill is doing monthly campaigns, duoing tenzen when HTB is on with my alt, VW campaign, duoing omen on Thf with my bard alt. On a good omen run you can get upwards of 26 swarts. Which is basically 20 ish mill per week. And the obvious that’s already been said AMBU.

Looking at your jobs between BRD GEO and Cor you should be able to do VD every month. Make groups and get a name for yourself so people are more likely to join your shouts. Also maybe find another hobby outside of event time and don’t feel like you’re forced to make every single event in order to avoid burnout. The loot grind is real but at the end of the day getting all the gear faster just means you’ll be less inclined to want to attend events so just take it at your own pace and enjoy learning the mechanics. If you’re bored, you could always pick up RUNE. It has a lower cost of entry than PLD but is much harder to master. It’s insanely powerful at BIS. Tanking on it is a lot of fun and requires learning game mechanics you might not be aware of as a support job.

Disclaimer: soloing omen is as brain meltingly boring as cleaving drags and puks.
[+]
 Asura.Smoky
user: Aubain
By Asura.Smoky 2019-09-18 06:55:07  
Gonna bump this again. Since July, I've found a wonderful linkshell with wonderful people in it, and I'm finally getting the chance to play with real people and do real content.

However. Outside of event times, I'm still doing the same song and dance of running around Port Jeuno, watching a lot of JP shouts and debating my life choices.

How do I work on progressing my character solo while people are afk for various reasons? I have an ok cleaving BLU, I've got my brd, I've got my whm, and 800~skill geo, regal cor, etc etc etc. Down to my last 7500 alex, then onto making the Fotia neck/belt and the Hachirin-no-obi, then finishing brd relic +3 set, then saving up the 80m for a brd neck +2. The common denominator to all of these is farming gil, it seems. Surely there's a better way to do that than to afk cleave dragons and puks in Zi'tah 24/7. :blobcatnauseated:

Well you're way ahead of me on the Carn front. Good Luck! Voidwatch campaign is going on, take advantage and farm sellables. Make dat money!

I made an Ambu V1D spam group on my shitty GEO and WHM alt and we cleared no problem. If I can WHM, anyone can, I'm a horrible healer LMAO. I'd say use some seals and clear that for gilz if you still need.

Now on my main REA BRD, Ambu parties want YOU. Just wait for the shout and be ready to crush. After nitro Lullaby, break out that DD set and have fun!

My dream Ambu setup for the month has been PUPtank to hold eye in a corner and DD if can survive fomor AoE, RUN tank/DD fomor, COR DD, BRD Relic minimum, Super DD that isn't HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE and takes hate, and WHM/sch minimum with cure set and can throw out Accession Regen IV (enhancing set is nice).
[+]
By Prong 2019-09-18 07:56:16  
You found a group, yet, you still keep coming back to this...

There is no amount of advice or guides that can change this aspect of your game play. And frankly, since you keep repeating the same questions, even after supposedly finding a group, it's starting to all sound more like a passive/aggressive attention grab than an actual request for information.

This game has umpteen hundred things you can do solo at any given time. If you are unable to pick one and focus on it as opposed to, "running around Port Jeuno" nobody here is going to be able to help you.

Sorry if that sounds harsh, but I've just seen the type too many times...those guys who only play when there is an event or something going on that someone ELSE sets up and invites them to...and if there is nothing, they log off. They are the same ones who take a 3 month break every 6 months, so are constantly "behind" and always need help catching up each time, only to disappear again once they get bored because they hate to solo any content. Eventually, people get tired of them and stop helping them at all.
By Staleyx 2019-09-18 07:59:29  
Make a cooking shield. Take care
[+]
By gistofanything 2019-09-18 08:10:54  
Prong said: »
You found a group, yet, you still keep coming back to this...

There is no amount of advice or guides that can change this aspect of your game play. And frankly, since you keep repeating the same questions, even after supposedly finding a group, it's starting to all sound more like a passive/aggressive attention grab than an actual request for information.

This game has umpteen hundred things you can do solo at any given time. If you are unable to pick one and focus on it as opposed to, "running around Port Jeuno" nobody here is going to be able to help you.

Sorry if that sounds harsh, but I've just seen the type too many times...those guys who only play when there is an event or something going on that someone ELSE sets up and invites them to...and if there is nothing, they log off. They are the same ones who take a 3 month break every 6 months, so are constantly "behind" and always need help catching up each time, only to disappear again once they get bored because they hate to solo any content. Eventually, people get tired of them and stop helping them at all.

I suppose I won't lie when at least a little bit of the motivation of bringing this back is for the attention of it - the truth of the matter is, though, that while earlier advice suggested finding people to play with (which I did do somehow and am thankful to the people that decided to pick me up!), a lot of earlier comments were to go solo content, which I can kind of do to some extent, sort of, maybe? The thing is, what content, where, and with what jobs? There is a lot of stuff to do, so much so that it's overwhelming at times.

I took a short detour to make a Chatoyant Staff after getting it recommended to me by ls members, but a majority of time I spend logged in is not in events. I attend each one I'm invited to with the best of my ability, but given my situation, I'm able to be online and around a lot more than other people. As such, that means a lot of time by myself. I did get a second account so I can maybe have a pocket gyromancer, but that's pretty slow-coming. >_>;

The name of the game is to earn gil to turn around and spend on progression. I just need some direction is all. :ablobcatheart:
 Sylph.Atigev
サーバ: Sylph
By Sylph.Atigev 2019-09-18 09:03:21  
Ok, maybe I can help. Now it has been more than a few years since I did this, but I did have a point where I had to play catch up, hell if I came back to my server and friends (which I may soon) I would have to play catch up some. So, I took a few year break at one point. When I came back I knew nothing of the Rhpsedies portion of FFXI, I believe Escha Ru'an had been out a bit but Reisenjima was not yet released. I was primarily a DPS, best jobs at that time were War and Blu, which are still my primary jobs but I have expanded a good bit. I struggled finding help at first, after all, I was on a smaller server with established geared people in an LS (not my current) that had established roles. I was lost and a bit overwhelmed in a game I had played for many years prior to my break. So, I get this feeling you are discussing. Well, I decided if I was going to have trouble getting help, I would do it myself. Now I have knowledge of gameplay and all that so that part came easily, but the gear... I had help on a few things but a lot I solo'd, my plan of attack was simple, I would go up in tier and test myself until I lost, then I would try it again. Money making in between was not horrible, sell various dif things and dynamis is always an option if you know what to farm and how, wont be great money but will be ok money. So, I simply set out to challenge myself. First things I did was I learned the tiers in escha zones. I started in Zi'tah and did most of the T1, got help for the tiger for that body (the body helped immensly for tha time), worked on my gear sets, then decided to work on Ru'An, here is where I had fun. I got to Hanbi because I was trying to gear my sch too so I could be of more help (this was in the era of SCH sc's and BLM Nukes) and I believe I was told you cant solo him, well see thats something that always gets me. See saying that is in essence like calling Marty Mcfly a chicken. I had to try and I had to succeed. And I did. This was a big thing for me, my LS leader at the time actually teleported up to see me do it bc he doubted me, it was a very fun time.

The point of this story is, forget everything else, and challenge yourself. If you want to get better and learn a job you must push yourself, this goes for outside of the game too. So, the best advice i can give you, is to just try things, random things you think are hard, try them. If you lose examine the fight, analyze it, and figure out what YOU could do to improve, then make adjustments and try again. You may not win some things, but i garuntee you will learn a lot from doing it.
By Shichishito 2019-09-18 09:39:51  
Staleyx said: »
Make a cooking shield. Take care
if warren buffet was into gil this is the advice he would give.
[+]
By HyperKTM 2019-09-18 11:36:28  
Funny how every1 gives ways to make gil but we all know a huge percent of them buy gil
By Shichishito 2019-09-18 14:52:35  
or multibox and/or bot.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
By Afania 2019-09-18 19:40:43  

Ok I finally kinda get whats all these GistOfEveryProblem is about >.> It seems to me that you really dont know how to set goals, or communicate your goals when you ask for advice >.>

You need to really, really nail down your goals, what you enjoy doing and ask for specific advice before other people can give you useful advice >.> I mean, nobody can tell you what your goal should be. They can only tell you how to solve specific problem on your way there.
[+]