Mousai Turban +1 Purpose?

言語: JP EN DE FR
2010-06-21
New Items
users online
フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Bard » Mousai Turban +1 purpose?
Mousai Turban +1 purpose?
 Asura.Briko
サーバ: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: briko
By Asura.Briko 2018-11-24 18:43:18  
Was just looking at some brd pieces and noticed the Mousai Turban +1 gives Etude+2 which equates to +2 to an attribute when casting the song.

However to use this you need to give up your Fili Calot +1 which reduces the "Set bonus" by -2 to the corresponding attribute.

Is the only purpose of the Mousai Turban +1 to increase etude duration?
 Sylph.Reain
サーバ: Sylph
user: dmregm
By Sylph.Reain 2018-11-25 15:57:12  
So chances are you'd be casting with Inyanga Legs and Brioso feet for duration anyways. So only 3/5 emp. set bonus would give Attribute+2.

Using 2/5 emp. plus Mousai Turban +1, inyanga legs and Brioso feet would actually be an increase (set bonus +1,etude+2, for a total of 3.) while also having a huge duration bonus.

The big thing is the set bonus isn't doubled by SV. The Etude bonus would be. And etudes are nearly always paired with Soul Voice.

So it's probably BiS but it was probably already was for the duration anyways. But it's an expensive upgrade.
[+]
 Asura.Sechs
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2018-11-25 18:44:56  
Reain explained it perfectly.
Not the highest priority Mousai+1 piece to get, but it can be nice.

Prio for mousai HQ imo is:

1) Hands
2) Legs
3) Head
4) Feet

I purposedly left body outside. Body would to be priority #1 if we were still in the days where Magic Setups mattered.
But given how it's not how things are it's hard to give a prio to it. It's probably before or after head I would say.

Before anyone says it: yes, Minne is not often used it, but when you do it's nice to have that hot 20% bonus to both potency and duration.
Minne is static, it gets further multiplied by stuff like Barrier or Gallant's Roll.
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
サーバ: Leviathan
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2018-11-25 18:52:31  
threnody is a huge help for landing leaden/trueflight on resistant monsters, i'd argue body is probably #1
[+]
 Sylph.Reain
By Sylph.Reain 2018-11-25 19:52:34  
Body very nice for helping others to land debuffs too.
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2018-11-27 02:14:56  
I dunno, body was the first one I got, but these days I hardly see resists on monsters or RDMs having issues landing stuff.
Can't remember the last time someone had issues landing something.
I can remember CORs sometimes getting resisted while trying to oneshot statues, but that's a moot point since you can't really land threnody on those.

Plus BRDs these days are mostly busy meleeing stuff, when they're not AoE sleeping.
Hard to find the time to land threnody on every single monster.
Different story for NMs (wave2, wave3 etc)
But then again, what really needs which debuffs? Addle2 on BST and NIN, and it lands on first attempt.
Silence on mages? Likewise, it lands on first try.
Wave3 megaboss I could land debuffs (almost) on first try as BRD/WHM lulz.
What is it so vital that you guys are having a hard time trying to land debuffs on?

I guess... maybe some ambuscade fight on VD that I can't think of, or uh... Reisen T4s? But then again most of those fights are over so fast, does it really matter to land debuffs? And are RDMs getting resisted that hard?

I'm of course using Divergence as main comparison as I feel it's what represents best the current game's meta.
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
サーバ: Leviathan
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2018-11-27 14:09:39  
Threnody+ presumably increases the amount of resistance-. Since CORs and RNGs are often uncapped magic accuracy against volte mobs and wave2/3NMs, having more resistance- will increase their damage. Thus, you have a meaningful increase in your alliance dps by using the body. The other pieces are very tiny changes comparatively, in my opinion.
[+]
 Asura.Nuance
user: Crion
By Asura.Nuance 2018-11-27 15:29:27  
My RDM is pretty baller and any help landing silence on some of that w3 ***sooner is more than welcome
[+]
 Sylph.Reain
By Sylph.Reain 2018-11-27 16:51:13  
I tend to Ltng. threnody II everything I can for sudden lunge unless we need a particular debuff on. Especially stuff with dangerous WS or the highwind to try and prevent shock spikes/eating the wyvern or the shinobi from mijining at high HP.

Ice for Vagabond/Twirler and anything evasive for distract,

Wind for anything we are doing Def Down on since you can't see if it lands immediately in chat log. Wind for Joiner/Illusionist to get silence on asap before 5th song gets dispelled.

Dark is good for Frazzle/Leaden too yea.

I usually change back to Ltng. once the debuff sticks. We don't usually use Leaden setups.

And yea a RDM with BiS can probably land things okay, but if you don't have a RDM with BiS (we take a mule sometimes) it is helpful. Or if your GEO/WHMs need help to stick stuff if you don't have a RDM. Especially WHM who are busy doing other stuff and want stuff to land quickly.
By SimonSes 2018-11-28 04:32:42  
I think its fundamental difference in how you want to play BRD. Threndoing stuff for more unresisted Leaden, Sudden Lunge etc. is definitely beneficial and in case of Leaden also probably adds more ally DPS than BRD focusing on melee. Some people tho and I think Sechs is one of them, will just try to justify melee on BRD because this is how they want to play the job. Not sure if the reason of that is being stuck on some job (BRD) and trying to play other roles, without actually switching the job or maybe it's the desire to stand out against other ppl playing same job (especially against ppl multiboxing with bots) by showing that you can do more than job's basic function. Whatever the motivation is, I don't think it's actually a problem or a mistake, since in the end it doesn't really matter much in current end game.
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2018-11-28 05:04:22  
You offer an interesting perspective on the scenario, I can partially relate to that, but even much more than that I think it's about "alliance composition".

For instance our targets die so fast (except Wave 2 NMs) that you hardly have the time to target stuff, let alone land a debuff.
I'm afraid most of the time we don't even have time for the ~3 seconds necessary after a GEO's sleepga to apply the frailty/malaise/whatever bubbles to them.

Stuff just gets destroyed, really fast.
We don't normally use BLUs and I can't remember the time someone complained on discord that they couldn't land the necessary debuff on first attempt.
Our COR usually hangs around alone oneshotting statues if necessary, or pulling stuff and bringing it back to the main group, while someone sleeps, geo debuffs, melees slaughter everything.
This is not the "best" way of doing Dynamis I'm sure. It's just the way we enjoy/do things and no chance it's gonna change anytime soon or that I'm gonna be able to change people's mind for whatever's reason lol.

I'm talking about Dynamis, of course.
I guess it's different on different content. I had to land Wind Threnody 2 on the Dahak with multiple PUGs this month's Ambuscade Vol1, for instance.

I used to love landing Threnody (way back in time when we were doing Reisen T4 with Mage setup) even if 99% of the times it was practically irrelevant because of how overpowered/bugged Languor/Focus were.
So it's not that I'm against Threnodies. As I said, body was the first Mousai+1 I acquired after all!
It's just that nowadays I only see it making a difference in a minority of situations, or other situations where it "could" make a difference but then again stuff become so easy because of power creep that it doesn't really matter.

Things could change tomorrow with new content, for all I know. I'm just sharing how things feels from the place I'm standing in atm.

In the end I think I kinda agree with what Comeatmebro said.
Like... Minne and Carol are rarely used, as such it's hard to define the relative Mousai pieces "important".
But when you do use them, it sure is very sweet to have those +20% potency/duration.

Something I cannot say for Mambo, simply because realistically when is the last time you used mambo?
And partially for Etude as well, because while I do use them (I'd say more or less as often as Minne or Carol) those ~4 more points in each stat that you gain from Mousai HQ isn't really gonna make your jaw drop now, is it?