New Items
users online
フォーラム » FFXI » Servers » Asura » In memory of a fallen paladin
In memory of a fallen paladin
 Asura.Kegfreak
サーバ: Asura
Game: FFXI
By Asura.Kegfreak 2018-11-10 08:16:58  
Hey guys, I just learned that a fellow player that had been playing for 8 years just passed away due to illness. If anyone would like to support the family, they all play FFXI, they set a Go Fund Me account to help pay for cremation services. Below is the link.

https://www.gofundme.com/setting-amp-cremation-services?fbclid=IwAR17C-TNjjKIF6q97hpYSJWMnazjuKDOlri6y5ynlKS2EDZKJxlbQyDGpCs

You will see his character still around, due to his daughters playing the game.

Due to the forum rules, I wont put his player name, because it breaks the "don't post any personal real-life identifiable information about or images of another user." rule. If you want his character name, PM me.
[+]
 Cerberus.Genoside
サーバ: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Genoside 2018-11-10 08:45:51  
Sorry for your loss.
 Lakshmi.Elidyr
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: elii
By Lakshmi.Elidyr 2018-11-10 08:55:48  
Sorry to hear. :(

Undelete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Asura.Kegfreak
By Asura.Kegfreak 2018-11-10 09:06:46  
Yeah I heard about that as well. I was in the Linkshell for a longtime that the player above was in. Last year we helped him get his Burtgang.

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2018-11-10 10:54:33  
Dude, "death services" are down right criminal. It can easily cost 5k depending on the city and state.

For example, my area has a $1200 "tax" for the "permission" to use the furnace for the "pollution" it will cause. Add (any) service and an Urn and you can get 3k without even trying. A lot of the cost comes from the "viewing" casket rental, funeral parlor etc.

Can't afford to live, can't afford to die, lovely time we live in.

Quote:
Cremation Funeral Package w/ Viewing
Visitation and funeral held same day
Premium Service $4278.00
Standard Service $3978.00
Basic Service $3618.00
Value/DHS Service $3558.00
Services Only - Add Casket $3183.00

Cremation Funeral Package w/ Viewing
Visitation held 1 day prior to the day of services
Premium Service $4748.00
Standard Service $4448.00
Basic Service $4088.00
Services Only - Add Casket $3653.00
Quote:
The average price for a standalone cremation nation-wide is $2,057, but our data shows a full memorial service costs, on average, $3,650. These bundled services add additional products like the cremation casket, which typically go for around a thousand dollars, or just removing and transferring the remains (typically a few hundred), not to mention flowers, embalming services and time spent viewing the body.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
 Odin.Slore
サーバ: Odin
user: Slore
By Odin.Slore 2018-11-10 11:27:41  
When my mom died in 2011 we had a simple casket and just a typical 4 hour viewing. Nothing horribly fancy and she already had her plot. Between funeral/casket/headstone is was about $14k
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2018-11-10 11:30:34  
I looked at the page, 2200 to 5000, that's what it costs.

"something small" 2200 + viewing (one day for family) $1000(mostly casket cost) $500 a day for the place to hold the body. + everything/anything else (embalming, dressing, a prayer, a certificate/memorial) + cost of an Urn.

I mean like I'm happy with dig a ditch, gallon of gas and a match, $50 tops. But let's be reasonable.

They just want to give the best they can get with what they receive. If they get <2200 they get the 2200, if they get a little more then they get to spend an extra day for the viewing. A little more, add more "pleasantries".

It's easy to say, *** em, throw em in the oven as cheaply as possible, until it's your dad. "death services" are predatory. it's a business. They try to upsell you (just like any business) and you're not exactly in the proper state of mind to negotiate.
[+]
 Asura.Beatsbytaru
By Asura.Beatsbytaru 2018-11-10 11:47:13  
Candlejack said: »
Sorry to hear about their loss, but I've been leery of sites like GoFundMe because you never know if the person or cause the donated money is intended to help will get to the intended recipient. I mean, you hear about ***like that homeless veteran a while back who gave his remaining $20 to a lady because her car ran out of gas and the lady and her husband had set a GoFundMe up to "help" him and then they began spending the money being raised for a good cause to splurge for themselves instead, buying themselves new vehicles and gambling trips to Las Vegas. My point is, you all too often hear about scams being run on GoFundMe. If I'm donating money, usually there's three causes I give to: Red Cross, Salvation Army, and Toys For Tots, because I know the money is going to a good cause and will end up helping someone, whether it's used to send a nurse cross-country to a disaster site or put a teddy bear in some kid's hands to cheer them up.
The Red Cross has like 25% overhead, so lol @ this
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2018-11-10 11:49:14  
Unfortunately when there is money involved most people's bad side comes out. Quite a few charities skim/steal/misappropriate. Not the place to really debate it though.

Quote:
82 cents of every dollar donated to The Salvation Army goes toward program services. The average charity spends 75 percent of their budget on programs, while the remaining money goes to cover overhead costs like fundraising. Red Cross is about 89.3%

https://www.charitynavigator.org/
[+]
 Bahamut.Malothar
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Malithar
By Bahamut.Malothar 2018-11-10 14:00:20  
Asura.Kegfreak said: »
You will see his character still around, due to his daughters playing the game.

I don't think I could stomach doing that. Character should go to rest like the player. It'd evoke too many memories, it'd be more difficult to move on. Maybe that's just me though.