Am I Playing Wrong?

言語: JP EN DE FR
2010-06-21
New Items
users online
フォーラム » FFXI » Servers » Bahamut » Am I playing wrong?
Am I playing wrong?
First Page 2
By Aramyth 2018-08-30 22:09:01  
It feels like trying to do anything in this game is impossible as a new player. I can't find a good linkshell that wants to do anything with anyone who isn't stacked in gear.

Even trying to find an Ambuscade group seems impossible. Everyone is always just looking for a GEO.

I don't normally have social issues in an MMO but it feels like nobody cares about new players anymore.

Close to quitting. :(
 Odin.Kealoha
サーバ: Odin
Game: FFXI
user: Kealohaa
By Odin.Kealoha 2018-08-30 22:27:33  
It really depends on a few things:

1) What server you're on
2) Time of day playing

3) How you come off to people
- I've helped random people before and I've encountered the good and the bad. The good in the sense that they were really very thankful and tried to pay me for assisting them. This is where I turned down their gil and actually made me want to help them more. Then there is the bad where those whom you've helped are demanding and come off as needy and desperate.

4) You don't have to have the best gear. You just need to be genuine in what kind of help you're looking for.

5) But if all you do is ask for help, and don't bother to do anything for yourself, you'll come off as that guy who's always asking for help.
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
サーバ: Asura
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2018-08-30 22:28:26  
Yes
[+]
 Sylph.Citrelautame
サーバ: Sylph
By Sylph.Citrelautame 2018-08-30 22:30:36  
I think each server has simular issues depending on the time you play. My personal LS was made just to help returning players while i sat in town board, now most of those returning players are equal or better geared than myself and we created an event LS outa it. We all still look for peeps w/o LS's or anyone who shouts something about being returning. Theres just a smaller player base any more and people are either working to finish their end game, or they did finish it and have quit. IDK how long you've tried but shout and someone will prob pick you up to assist (better off if your play time is around NA peak). Side note:

If you haven't already then start w/ RoV missions, create your own ambu groups and start on a difficulty you can solo, do a run, shout, do a run shout etc. as you get more to join you then hopefully you can bump difficulty up. Most jobs can solo VE vol 1 with sparks gear.

If that doesn't help, transfer to sylph if you play in the late evenings and shoot me a tell :)
By Jetackuu 2018-08-30 22:35:42  
What's your name, and are you actually on Bahamut?
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Senaki
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
user: Senaki
By Quetzalcoatl.Senaki 2018-08-30 23:25:45  
I think it depends on what job you're trying to get into content on. If it is Mnk, you will not have a very forgiving experience. Generally, you will want a "party job" to gear your "fun job". If everyone wants a Geo, why not make a Geo to gear your fun job?
[+]
 Cerberus.Boogs
サーバ: Cerberus
user: rs1n
By Cerberus.Boogs 2018-08-30 23:38:00  
Odin.Kealoha said: »
It really depends on a few things:

1) What server you're on
2) Time of day playing

3) How you come off to people
- I've helped random people before and I've encountered the good and the bad. The good in the sense that they were really very thankful and tried to pay me for assisting them. This is where I turned down their gil and actually made me want to help them more. Then there is the bad where those whom you've helped are demanding and come off as needy and desperate.

4) You don't have to have the best gear. You just need to be genuine in what kind of help you're looking for.

5) But if all you do is ask for help, and don't bother to do anything for yourself, you'll come off as that guy who's always asking for help.

I can tell you right now that a lot of people will talk about that one guy/girl they helped but whom did not seem to show any sort of appreciation for the help they were given. Most people who are willing to go out of their way could not care less about getting any sort of payment, but they definitely will remember if you do not even so much as say thanks.

Nothing is more annoying than someone who just returned to the game and does nothing for themselves but ask for help. I am not saying that you fall into this category, but this is practically an unwritten truth in FFXI these days. If you ask for help, and do not receive any, make the attempt to solo it with trusts. There is a huge difference between "Can someone kill the final RoV boss for me?" and "So I tried to take out the last RoV mission with such-and-such trusts but all those combinations never worked out. Does anyone have any tips?" (and then working toward directly asking for help after more attempts).

General tips:

1. Work on getting as many trusts as you can.
2. Try to complete as many missions as possible with the gear you can obtain with trusts.
3. Level several different jobs.

Only after I did those three things and learned what the "new" FFXI of today was like (and this was over at least two months) did I actually start to ask for help.
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Bahamut.Suph
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Suph
By Bahamut.Suph 2018-08-31 00:48:55  
I think GhostRiders’s always recruiting. See new people there all the time.

I help out when i can, unless i kill 11/12 Selkit for you and you say i owe you a darksteel buckler..
[+]
 Lakshmi.Buukki
サーバ: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2018-08-31 01:01:52  
Can't speak for other servers. Ask somebody experienced to show you the ropes. Oftentimes, the very good ones DO go out of their way to help new players. Just can't be afraid to ask for help. Most of the time, they will show you how to be self-sufficient.
[+]
 Asura.Zart
user: zart
By Asura.Zart 2018-08-31 01:16:35  
I think its a hustle and climb but ultimately you should see it as a challenge.. In my opinion the best place to start is vagary, but the problem is it requires that you find a linkshell or get lucky in a PUG that knows what their doing.

the other really good method for catching up for most melees is just ambuscade build a 10% WS cape and a high accuracy double attack capes, collect all the gear and jewelry it will help a lot. A lot of players will give you scuff from doing vol2 but screw them, ambuscade vol2 can be very good for a novice party starting out. Also make sure your grouping for ambuscades, you get more points in groups and every point counts! Also since your a novice player and need gear make sure your not selling ambuscade currencies for gil starting out you really need to focus on gear progression.

ambuscade gear is like several times easier to obtain then empyrean 119 gear, mostly you would probably use the empy119 to help you collect ambuscade gears if anything. Another really good option is to level up artifact gear (this gets kinda expensive), in my opinion artifact gear is easier to upgrade to the higher ilvl119 tiers then relic, (and you can't upgrade empy past 119 yet)

anyways hang in there look for friends im sure youll eventually find them if you look hard enough, and unfortunately theres a lot of meta players in the game (summoners only) but just play what you enjoy playing and have fun! The limits are pretty endless in FFXI gear specializations and that what makes the game fun. grind on grinder, theres always going to be plenty of things to do here :P
[+]
 Cerberus.Boogs
サーバ: Cerberus
user: rs1n
By Cerberus.Boogs 2018-08-31 01:26:53  
If you have not already done so, check out:

https://www.bg-wiki.com/bg/Returning_to_Vana%27diel

and

https://www.bg-wiki.com/bg/Quickstart_1-119_Guide
[+]
 Bahamut.Agerine
user: Agerine
By Bahamut.Agerine 2018-08-31 07:19:45  
There are a few open shells that have a good bit of people you can get into and start learning names and making friends. My shell is WelcomeHome, Mateja runs Singularity, and Bui has GhostRiders, those are the 3 bigger ones I’ve seen around.

I strongly advocate to many people the idea of large social shells, then once in those shells to form networks and branch off into statics. Bahamut is a smaller NA population and a lot of LS crossover happens. Check out the LS Concierge NPCs to see if any of those shells are in stock.

GL man. I’ll be on later this afternoon/evening. If you still want a shell hit me up.
[+]
By Aramyth 2018-08-31 07:38:13  
A couple of things:

1) Yes, I am really on Bahamut, why would I post here if I wasn't? My character name is Aramyth XD

2) I don't expect, nor want to, to pay anyone for help. But I am 100% appreciative of all help I would get and am always willing to help anyone in return with anything at all. Kind of how it was back in earlier FFXI days.

3) I don't usually ask for much help at all I have completed ZM, CoP and am working on complete RoV now. I've leveled DNC, RDM, RUN, THF to 99 with BRD, RNG & DRG on the way to 99 and some subs to 49. Some crafting leveled and have done some Ambuscade and stuff solo/duo with my wife. I'm not consistently looking for help so I don't think that's the right thing to blame here....

I really just would like a group of people who can do Ambuscade and start showing the ropes of some of the new/higher end content. I've tried shouting and creating my own groups, it goes unnoticed for the most part.

Agerine, I'll look you up! I appreciate it!
 Shiva.Arislan
サーバ: Shiva
user: Arislan
By Shiva.Arislan 2018-08-31 09:03:39  
We've all been in the same boat as you at one time or another. You're not doing it wrong. You've just hit a wall. You need progress/gear to get into groups. You need groups to get most of that progress/gear. It's the FFXI catch-22.

So how do you get over the hump?

First is to find people in the same predicament (or even people who are further behind than you), and band together to progress together. There's not a whole lot of stuff in this game that requires super-high gear checks, or a large alliance. Most content is around the mid iLvls, or below. You'd be surprised how much gil/gear you can grind out with just 2-3 basic players and trusts. Follow content by its release date (exception is Ambu) for the smoothest path forward.

While you search for people, there are a lot of things you could be doing solo. A 119 DNC, RDM or THF can solo a lot of content w/ trusts like SKCNM (lower difficulties), Skirmishes, UNM (lower-levels), Escha Zi'tah Geas Fete T1's, Vol 2 Ambu and maybe even VE Vol 1. Unlock your WOE Empyrean SCs, your mythic SCs, etc. Do coalitions if you plan to play RUN seriously. Reforge your AF/relic armor sets. You can solo job points too.

It's not as efficient to do these things solo, but it's possible, and sure beats waiting around for random charity/random acts of kindness.
[+]
 Shiva.Nikolce
サーバ: Shiva
user: Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2018-08-31 09:41:19  
Aramyth said: »
I really just would like a group of people who can do Ambuscade

Groups doing ambuscade will be much easier to find when the month changes over in a week or so. Everyone gets burned out on it by the end of the month as the time invested to reward gained ratio falls dramatically.

I would urge you to be patient, learn as much as you can about the game and help other new players along the way.

Please also keep in mind that the entire premise of this game is THE GRIND. Some of us have been torturing ourselves here for fifteen years. You have to demonstrate to us that you have what it takes to persevere in these dark times.

We've seen it a million times before, if we drag you ahead through content you'll quickly get bored and run out of things to do at that level and need help or want to quit again.

If you can not learn to love the pain, the misery and the suffering, then this might not be the game for you.

There are two kind of ffxi players. Those that constantly seek help and those that would rather die a thousand times trying before asking for it.

The warm light of Altana smile always shines down upon you.
Before you see the light, YOU MUST DIE!

YouTube Video Placeholder
[+]
By SimonSes 2018-08-31 09:43:24  
Send /tell to Mateja. He have a social/event linkshell that takes pretty much everyone and ppl there are pretty helpful. Tho because they take everyone it's often a mix of good geared players and total casuals. Mateja also tends to go 18/18 to everything, but that's actually good for new players.

Also a tip from me. If you can't do 30k points in Ambuscade, get 10M gils (farming spark during gain exp is the easiest for you), talk with Lexouritis to merc you few Very Difficult (use seals on them to get 10k+ hallmarks) ones and use total hallmark to get +1 and +2 gear and use hallmarks to make capes and/or get the gils back. Getting +2 gear from Ambu will help you a lot, same for capes. Believe me its much better to pay some gils and be at some level faster than struggle for months. Especially that Ambu capes are very important and materials are limited, so you dont want to get behind on that.
[+]
 Bismarck.Nickeny
サーバ: Bismarck
user: Nickeny
By Bismarck.Nickeny 2018-08-31 10:12:42  
Youtube

Many people took it upon them selves to record strategies and guides on how to play certain jobs

Solo till it hurts

Skill is subjective. End of the day most of this stuff is muscle memory ie know when to switch to dt sets. Precognition on healing. Know how certain mobs operate and basically learning the mechanics on the game. Soloing is the best way to sharpen these skills.

Fake it till you make it

Bis is hard to get right off the bat. Understanding what makes these items bis and putting together a right now set will help immensely.
[+]
 Fairy.Trig
サーバ: Fairy
user: Trig
By Fairy.Trig 2018-08-31 10:24:10  
If you can find your way into one or two intense ambuscades, even on easy, should be enough to get you some basic NQ ambuscade gear. That is how I got started. Lucked out in finding a great ls (after a month of roaming solo) and joined in when they were doing it. Also helped that I had a support job (cor) so I was only 90% freeloading that first run.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ahliyya
user: Ahliya
By Bahamut.Ahliyya 2018-08-31 11:36:36  
As someone in both WelcomeHome and TheSingularity, I definitely recommend both shells to you, hope to see you in game soon ^_^
[+]
 Asura.Aerox
By Asura.Aerox 2018-08-31 11:44:43  
Aramyth said: »

I really just would like a group of people who can do Ambuscade and start showing the ropes of some of the new/higher end content.

If you can find someone willing to farm some herculean or merlinic gear from Reisenjima T1 and combine that with af/relic/empy reforge you can jump right into 119 content easy.

Quite a few Reisenjima T1s can be easily solo'd by a good DD or smn with trusts. I did this recently for someone to help boost them ready to take part in content and it only takes a short time popping stuff.

Hopefully you can find a friendly LS to help you.
 Odin.Drakenv
user: Drakenv
By Odin.Drakenv 2018-08-31 11:58:11  
Bahamut.Ahliyya said: »
As someone in both WelcomeHome and TheSingularity, I definitely recommend both shells to you, hope to see you in game soon ^_^
:)

If I wasn’t on Odin I’d join these shells too great people!!
[+]
By Afania 2018-08-31 12:08:00  
Sylph.Citrelautame said: »
I think each server Small servers has simular issues

Fixed for accuracy.....Majority of brand new/returning player on small server will head to Asura, and those who did not leave has old friends that will take them into their groups.

So in general, it will be a bit harder to find people on same progression as a new player because other people are either on the top end or have connections that got them into pt as support, or left for Asura.

My suggestion is, find a large social ls(like others suggested) which expands your connections in game. Find 1-2 relevant jobs to gear for endgame and work on the quality of gear sets for those jobs. Read guides and see what kind of gear that you will need to be top tier or at least above avg. It may seem overwhelmed at start to see so many gears. The key is to aim for easy to obtain gears with largest increase first. Click on the bg wiki link when you see a piece of gear that you want to learn how to obtain them.

Once you have clear goals, ask for help in your LS or send tell to lsmate to get help killing specific NMs that you can't kill. Then slowly work on improving the quality of sets.

There are also multiple ways to solo or lowman for gil such as dyna or delve. So you could always farm gil and buy high quality items from AH.

When it comes to ambu, jobs like white mage really really has low gear standard and it's possible to do difficulty that's one or two tier above current gear level. I've done D/VD on ilv 109 that way, although it's also mostly because I understand ambu at certain level to be able to bypass the weakness of gears.

Once your sets and understanding of job reaches certain level of quality, you will build a positive reputation and more invite will come. And people will start to accommodate your jobs by adjusting pt composition to fit you in. So make "become a better X job player" your ultimate goal in game and make as many connections as possible, it will help you accomplish anything you want.
[+]
 Bahamut.Negan
user: Negan
By Bahamut.Negan 2018-08-31 14:33:06  
Odin.Drakenv said: »

Easily remedied. You have a(many) homes here.
[+]
 Bahamut.Agerine
user: Agerine
By Bahamut.Agerine 2018-08-31 15:28:25  
Bahamut.Negan said: »

Easily remedied. You have a(many) homes here.

Is Lucille gettin thirsty?
[+]
 Bahamut.Negan
user: Negan
By Bahamut.Negan 2018-08-31 16:42:39  
Bahamut.Agerine said: »
Is Lucille gettin thirsty?
I SAVE PEOPLE!
[+]
By Aramyth 2018-08-31 18:10:18  

Thanks! :)
[+]
 Odin.Kealoha
user: Kealohaa
By Odin.Kealoha 2018-08-31 19:10:25  
:)

But you aren't on Odin. ROFL.
By aigulfe 2018-08-31 20:14:23  
Yeah, probly same advice as others... I came back almost 3 years ago as a lvl 75 and it took a while to get to the point where I could contribute. Using a support job to gear itself and others is a good way to go. I was a COR main back in the day and when I came back, being a COR, even a poorly-geared one, got me into a lot of stuff right away. Then I added GEO to that and same thing. Obviously the end goal is to become a complete player and have melee sets, ranged sets, various WS sets, Quick Draw sets on COR... nuking, enfeeling, curing, enhancing etc sets on GEO but even a roll-only COR or bubble-only GEO can provide some value.

Other advice would be to level BLU, gear it decently, learn the relevant spells and hit up salvage for a decent chunk of gil that you can solo easily.
First Page 2