users online
フォーラム » Everything Else » Tech Support » PS4 Controller
PS4 Controller
 Phoenix.Tearxx
サーバ: Phoenix
Game: FFXI
user: Tearxx
By Phoenix.Tearxx 2018-03-18 23:29:58  
Trying to use a wireless PS4 controller to play ffxi but it seems the X square triangle and circle buttons don't work. Has anyone else had this issue and found a way to resolve it? I use windower as well if that matters.
 Asura.Havron
サーバ: Asura
user: HavronEX
By Asura.Havron 2018-04-07 13:00:54  
I've had this problem as well, the only solution I've found is to keep it wired. Wireless it'll lag some and the buttons only work sometimes. If anyone else has found a fix I'd love it as well.
 Asura.Haymitch
By Asura.Haymitch 2018-04-07 13:40:08  
i have this issue as well, but as above me said just keep it wired. it works so well, but I'd rather to have it wireless. :(
 Valefor.Yandaime
サーバ: Valefor
user: Yandaime
By Valefor.Yandaime 2018-04-07 14:03:37  
Hmmm. Only speculation but a part of the problem might be with w/e UI Software the PS4 controller uses. I personally have been using an Xbox 360 Wireless Controller all these years with no problems at all. I have to use a Bluetooth transever that plugs into a USB but its quick, easy and painless. Probably even more so now that I’m using a new PC with Bluetooth functions built in but never felt the need to use an Xbox One controller since my 360 still works just fine.

Most PCs use Windows (unless you’re an Apple Rebel). And Xbox being a Windows product (Microsoft) the UI coding syncs perfectly. And it has instructions to work with Apple as well if I’m not mistaken.

Unless of course, you just really really really want your PS4. I’m sure there’s a way
 Lakshmi.Ihzuna
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: Ihzuna
By Lakshmi.Ihzuna 2018-04-07 17:42:56  
I had that issue but was able to solve it by going into DS4 windows settings and checking the hide DS4 controler box then in the ffxi pad config chosseing one of the bottom configuration buttons, and now my controler works wireless
By Jetackuu 2018-04-07 22:12:04  
Valefor.Yandaime said: »
Hmmm. Only speculation but a part of the problem might be with w/e UI Software the PS4 controller uses. I personally have been using an Xbox 360 Wireless Controller all these years with no problems at all. I have to use a Bluetooth transever that plugs into a USB but its quick, easy and painless. Probably even more so now that I’m using a new PC with Bluetooth functions built in but never felt the need to use an Xbox One controller since my 360 still works just fine.

Most PCs use Windows (unless you’re an Apple Rebel). And Xbox being a Windows product (Microsoft) the UI coding syncs perfectly. And it has instructions to work with Apple as well if I’m not mistaken.

Unless of course, you just really really really want your PS4. I’m sure there’s a way

So many things wrong with this.

1. 360 controllers don't communicate over the bluetooth protocol, it's a proprietary 2.4ghz signal, hence the need of the wireless adapter.

2. The fact that the OS is windows is mostly moot as you still need the driver installed, and in fact the default Windows driver/windows update driver often doesn't work properly and people quite often have to uninstall it and manually install the downloaded one to get it to work properly (especially with XI), the "UI Coding" is a standard xinput API, which was implemented with the directx protocol (sometime after 8.1, I can't recall if it was 8.1c, 9 or some other release off the top of my head), but it wasn't in 8.1, which is why XI didn't have support for it for the longest time, until SE pulled the head out of their *** and added support).

As for the problem at hand, I believe the DS4 is a directinput controller, meaning one should not tick the box that says "xinput" in the controller config.
 Phoenix.Tearxx
サーバ: Phoenix
user: Tearxx
By Phoenix.Tearxx 2018-04-07 23:47:12  
Tried an xbox one controller instead. it works but the triggers don't via bluetooth.
 Cerberus.Senkyuutai
サーバ: Cerberus
user: Yuffy
By Cerberus.Senkyuutai 2018-04-08 02:43:29  
The controller you use is irrelevant, you simply need to use Dinput for any controller to work on anything PC related (and to transform your controller into a 360 controller, for those like me who like to use converters on next gen consoles).

If you want to play wirelessly on PC (+ Switch), try this. You can most likely find it on Amazon.com or similar website for US convenience at around 15-20$ (it's the general price).

It allows you to use Xbox One/PS4/PS3/Switch Pro controller on Switch and PC, wirelessly. Plus, there is no lag at all.

I've been using this for a while now and it's flawless. Note that the default input when you take it out of the box is Xinput, which has to be changed (you can change the input mode on the fly).
By Jetackuu 2018-04-08 09:29:49  
Cerberus.Senkyuutai said: »
The controller you use is irrelevant, you simply need to use Dinput for any controller to work on anything PC related

Highly inaccurate.
 Asura.Verbannt
user: Akton
By Asura.Verbannt 2018-04-08 09:30:13  
Okay so the only xbox controller I have ever had all the buttons work on and sliders, was a converted original xbox s controller ( the original xbox controller that was made smaller) and it used software obviously to make it work, on the 360 the sliders never worked with config.

And my afterglow xbox one controller its the same, however I must remove xinput.dll to make my controller work. So you don't have to use direct input. Xinput is poorly implemented in ffxi.

Using any wireless will cause lag, a micro controller has to decode the signal and then put an output out, there are no lag free wireless controllers sorry but no, on the xbox one and ps4 the lag usually is around 150 ms on the machine its designed to work with some tests put the value above 200 ms.

This is before a third party dongle receives and interprets the code then sends a signal.

The Logitech G903 Lightspeed is a $115 mouse and was released as ground breaking a year ago it has 1ms of lag, the ps4 and xb 1 controllers were made 5 years ago.

However in ffxi that amount of lag is not a problem, it still is 1/5th of a second but its not like your trying to play a FPS.
By Jetackuu 2018-04-08 09:39:36  
Asura.Verbannt said: »
Xinput is poorly implemented in ffxi.

No, it isn't. It works fine, after they fixed the implementation on the next patch after the implementation. (Well as fine as xinput's API works for a game that doesn't use all the features) People just have screwed up installs/computers.

Yes wireless isn't great for "hardcore gaming" or really anything, but it's convenient as ***. I do get a laugh out of "high end wireless headphones" or people like CJ who buy wireless mice for gaming.
 Cerberus.Senkyuutai
サーバ: Cerberus
user: Yuffy
By Cerberus.Senkyuutai 2018-04-24 22:29:57  
Okay so the only xbox controller I have ever had all the buttons work on and sliders, was a converted original xbox s controller ( the original xbox controller that was made smaller) and it used software obviously to make it work, on the 360 the sliders never worked with config.

And my afterglow xbox one controller its the same, however I must remove xinput.dll to make my controller work. So you don't have to use direct input. Xinput is poorly implemented in ffxi.

Using any wireless will cause lag, a micro controller has to decode the signal and then put an output out, there are no lag free wireless controllers sorry but no, on the xbox one and ps4 the lag usually is around 150 ms on the machine its designed to work with some tests put the value above 200 ms.

This is before a third party dongle receives and interprets the code then sends a signal.

The Logitech G903 Lightspeed is a $115 mouse and was released as ground breaking a year ago it has 1ms of lag, the ps4 and xb 1 controllers were made 5 years ago.

However in ffxi that amount of lag is not a problem, it still is 1/5th of a second but its not like your trying to play a FPS.
Nobody uses wireless mice to play video games, they're office stuff even if Logitech tries to sell it as a gaming mouse. Let's be real for a sec.

Regarding your latency numbers, they're through the roof. That dongle is used to play fighting games, aka the only video game genre where input latency really matters. People play fighting game on a pro level using those wireless controllers you speak of, with the latency you speak of and some may even use that dongle on top of it.
FPS aren't even in the same ballpark, I have no idea why you cite them as a relevant example when they aren't at all.

If doing this is still well within the practical margin of acceptable frame value for a fighting game, you very well bet that nobody in their right mind should care about it when playing a slow paced MMO like FFXI and that I can very easily classify it as "no lag" without even exaggerating at all.

Practical advice is important, masturbating over theories and empty numbers isn't.
 Asura.Verbannt
By Asura.Verbannt 2018-04-25 01:07:36  
Cerberus.Senkyuutai said: »

Nobody uses wireless mice to play video games, they're office stuff even if Logitech tries to sell it as a gaming mouse. Let's be real for a sec.

Regarding your latency numbers, they're through the roof. That dongle is used to play fighting games, aka the only video game genre where input latency really matters. People play fighting game on a pro level using those wireless controllers you speak of, with the latency you speak of and some may even use that dongle on top of it.
FPS aren't even in the same ballpark, I have no idea why you cite them as a relevant example when they aren't at all.

If doing this is still well within the practical margin of acceptable frame value for a fighting game, you very well bet that nobody in their right mind should care about it when playing a slow paced MMO like FFXI and that I can very easily classify it as "no lag" without even exaggerating at all.

Practical advice is important, masturbating over theories and empty numbers isn't.

There is a difference between latency and frame lag. You don't know what you are talking about.

Secondly EVERY THING HAS LATENCY light moves at the fastest speed observable no controller EVER does things instantly with out latency.

Every controller, mouse, or keyboard uses a process called polling when waiting to receive a signal. The time it takes to poll is referred to as 'latency' (most often because it is a more widely understood term), this represents the time between when a signal is sent, and when it is received. After that the input must be processed by the receiving device, transferring a raw analogue input, into a digital instruction. After that, yet more time is required to actually display the result of that input on the screen, as the instruction then has to be interpreted and rendered by the CPU and GPU working in tandem. The input device produces latency, the computer produces latency, the GPU produces latency, and finally the display you are viewing it on ALSO produces yet more latency. There is literally no such thing as "no lag". However, most lag times, or "latency" are measured in only a few milliseconds, and are generally not too noticeable.

However, that does not mean there is no such thing as a shoddily made part that introduces more input latency than is reasonable. Controllers, and more specifically wireless controllers are notorious for doing this, and it's why professional gamers tend to not use wireless peripherals in general.

Also to your comment about FFXI not having any need for low latency, I can point out that it can be important on things like stunning for Zerde.

Using Battlemod and unlimited will give a bit of a reduction on frame lag, due to receiving more frames per second, and Battlemod reducing lag from the chatlog itself, which to anyone that wasn't already aware, by default lags almost a half second behind real time. But for anyone that does not use these things, a good peripheral can be the difference between seeing a move coming up, and stunning the right one, or simply trying to "Red LIne Stun", which may not work depending on what job you have as the stunner.
 Bismarck.Snprphnx
サーバ: Bismarck
user: Snprphnx
By Bismarck.Snprphnx 2018-04-25 02:54:24  
Every controller, mouse, or keyboard uses a process called polling when waiting to receive a signal.

This statement is incorrect. PS/2 keyboards and mice use interupt mode, which doesn't require polling. This reduces the overall latency that users experience, and is preferred by those who type a lot, or do a lot of fast pasted gaming.
 Asura.Verbannt
By Asura.Verbannt 2018-04-25 03:59:29  
Bismarck.Snprphnx said: »
Every controller, mouse, or keyboard uses a process called polling when waiting to receive a signal.

This statement is incorrect. PS/2 keyboards and mice use interupt mode, which doesn't require polling. This reduces the overall latency that users experience, and is preferred by those who type a lot, or do a lot of fast pasted gaming.

Acutally your still waiting on cpu and gpu there is still latency and its determined by the bus speed.

PS/2 comes with a standard polling rate of 80hz (ranges between 20 hz to 200 hz). At 20 hz thats still a 50 millisecond poll, mind you one half of 1% of a second is low.

The difference is that the chip monitoring ps/2 is not always receiving data but when it is it sends a signal in its own channel. Usb ports always have data sent when a device is plugged in, a requirement for plug and play, and storage devices.

However the point made about my comment has to do with going from wireless to (any chip to decode it) then to the port its connected to.

The device earlier uses a raspberry pi and emulates the controller via software. It is not a SMC with one function programmed like an arduino, so the device it self has an os and then the program runs in it. And by doing so takes even longer to output the signal to the usb that the pc then must process.
 Asura.Verbannt
By Asura.Verbannt 2018-04-25 04:17:41  
Also usb 2.0 and 3.0 CAN have lower polling rates lower than ps/2.

Usb 3.0 with the time between data sent to recieved being as low as 50 us or 50 microseconds 0.000050s vs 0.005s achievable via ps/2.

And Usb 2.0 with a time of 125 us or 0.000125s vs 0.005s by ps/2.

Ps/2 ports don't need drivers since they talk directly to the cpu via the bios naively. Which makes diagnosing problems on boards easier, one of the reasons manufacturers still put them on boards.
 Asura.Byrne
By Asura.Byrne 2018-04-25 21:39:38  
Bismarck.Snprphnx said: »

A device running in interrupt mode can indeed intercede mid-instruction to deliver a command, but when you're talking about using a mouse the way you would in a first person shooter, you gain a TINY amount of latency reduction at the cost of accuracy. In fact, most PS/2 mice don't even have variable DPI.

(I actually searched for a variable DPI PS/2 gaming mouse and couldn't find one. That's pretty strange if it's the "preferred method".)

The difference is fractions of a millisecond. Also most gamers that do fast paced gaming, do indeed use USB devices.