New Items
users online
フォーラム » FFXI » Servers » Asura » Exploring Options: Server Transfer
Exploring Options: Server Transfer
 Quetzalcoatl.Javarr
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
Game: FFXI
By Quetzalcoatl.Javarr 2018-02-04 20:01:07  
So this is more then likely the 46823457235763 thread about this but wanted to test the waters. Looking at potentially changing servers and was wondering what the environment is over here. Sch as resn/Escha pop location availability, Dynamis populations, overall activity and the like. Sadly AH can only tell me so much about the economic climate, but as far as the social climate and such. Any information would be useful. In addition to myself, there would more then likely be three others if that would have any bearing. Thank you in advance for any information.
By fonewear 2018-02-04 21:58:32  
Asura is good if you already have a linkshell you are moving to. Without that you are going to be left with trolls and terrible pick up groups.

The AH is one of the main selling points. Instead of waiting forever to get what you need. It will be on the AH here.

The biggest downside in my opinion is sadly the community. Or lack of community . The mercenaries selling low level stuff for way too much gil...I could go on and on.

But it is easy to avoid all of this with a good linkshell.
[+]
 Asura.Kaotik
サーバ: Asura
user: Kaotic
By Asura.Kaotik 2018-02-04 22:43:30  
Honestly I could never go back to my old server (Cerberus). Granted I have a few people that I play with and we can do most content pretty handily, when we've had to shout for a pug it's pretty quick and easy, compared to 30mins-1hr+ on Cerb.

Ambu wait times can get a bit long during peak hours, and finding a ??? location can sometimes be a challenge but you'll just have to use some of the ones that don't typically get used and it's no problem.

It's amazing how the economy is though, quite literally if it's a quest item you can find it on AH, even the cheap stuff. That was nonexistent on Cerb, and that goes for HQ too.
[+]
 Asura.Sechs
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2018-02-05 01:53:45  
I've been an asuran since 2004. I think the problems about the "community" many people report are... there, but they're being overly exagerated, mostly (but not solely of course) by people with pretty caustic behaviour.

Without any sort of statistics or objective numbers in my hands, I feel like the majority of negative/unfriendly/annoying trolls got to asura over the last year.
Asura was the highest population server even before that, but there weren't so many antisocial people.

There were douches of course, but it wasn't rare to find completely random yet friendly and/or overall pleasant people.

Anyway, I can confirm there's some concern about the community issue, but I think it's nowhere as bad as someone wants to make it look like.
[+]
By Quizzy 2018-02-05 02:07:43  
As someone who created a new character on Asura, I think saying the shout issue is "exaggerated" is insanity. The pointless terrible crap is constant. It makes being in town a chore.

Sure you can ignore them, or b-list them... but the terrible element truly does exist.
[+]
 Asura.Sechs
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2018-02-05 02:20:57  
community issues =/= shout issues.

There's a plethora of aspects that defines what a "server community" is, shouting/yelling (or general chat, as it's called in other MMOs) is just one of the many.
And yes, it varies according to the time of the day (it reaches its worst during US peak times, if you ask me) but the issue is clearly there, and I can confirm it gradually got worse as the huge influx of people started to move over to Asura over the last months.
It wasn't this bad before this migration started, and yet Asura was still the highest population even then.
[+]
By Quizzy 2018-02-05 02:33:22  
10-4
 Odin.Drakenv
サーバ: Odin
user: Drakenv
By Odin.Drakenv 2018-02-05 13:02:53  
Quizzy said: »
As someone who created a new character on Asura, I think saying the shout issue is "exaggerated" is insanity. The pointless terrible crap is constant. It makes being in town a chore.

Sure you can ignore them, or b-list them... but the terrible element truly does exist.
I’ve had a mule there selling stuff. It’s like high school all over again but on steroids.
By fonewear 2018-02-05 13:14:19  
Asura.Sechs said: »
community issues =/= shout issues.

There's a plethora of aspects that defines what a "server community" is, shouting/yelling (or general chat, as it's called in other MMOs) is just one of the many.
And yes, it varies according to the time of the day (it reaches its worst during US peak times, if you ask me) but the issue is clearly there, and I can confirm it gradually got worse as the huge influx of people started to move over to Asura over the last months.
It wasn't this bad before this migration started, and yet Asura was still the highest population even then.

Part of the reason the community is bad is the mercenary aspect. Tons of people buy wins/aeonic weapons. After getting power leveled 1-99. Then after all that they find the game boring. The entire server's mindset seems to be *** backwards. Instead of playing the game it's rush through all content. Then sit in town and shout nonsense. Granted not everyone does this. But it seems overwhelming to someone new to the server.

What makes other servers great is the sense of feeling like you are a part of the community.

On Asura the other people feel more like a chore.
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
サーバ: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2018-02-05 13:27:09  
some people like to live in big cities, other prefer to live in small towns. But even those who live in small towns typically have to "go into the city" to do some shopping, and sadly that's what we "small town" people are faced with these days.

I love my small server, I just wish SE would unify the auction houses. It would create a marketplace around the same size as a single server circa 2005, nothing too massive. There would be a an adjustment period, of course, but with ffxiah.com, many items are already within 10% of price across all servers.

I never expect them to do this. They make too much money off of server hops and they have to be aware people are jumping for game items and then returning to their home server...hell they may even factor in a certain number of hops/month as part of their income stream these days.
[+]
By Kodaijin 2018-02-05 13:32:28  
Regarding the community: The community on Asura is great. If you do a shout asking for help or a general question, you typically get a bunch of people providing answers or assistance for free. There are a bunch of decent LSes recruiting. There is always someone shouting for people for events. You will never be bored unless you just want to do your thing only. On Asura (I came from cerb last year) it feels like the old days again. The way MMOs are supposed to be played... with lots of people from all over the world. Not just your 3 friends with multi-characters.

regarding mercenaries
Mercenaries have been around since the games inception and they wont go anywhere until there is no more game. Remember raise shouts in valkurm or quifm for gil? Or the tele-taxi services? KB/FF/NH/Aspid drops? not sure why the mercing has gotten such a bad rap lately.
Me and a LS mate were duoing Pakecet the other day a bunch of times for J. Body. No luck. Got a group to kill faster a bunch of times... no drop. He found a merc to get the drop in the end. I see no issue with this.

Regarding the emokid shouts... thats any MMO these days. and its normally started by people who enjoy that stuff. Same names over and over. B-list or ignore or do something else if it bothers you.
[+]
 Odin.Drakenv
サーバ: Odin
user: Drakenv
By Odin.Drakenv 2018-02-05 13:38:54  
Kodaijin said: »
Regarding the community: The community on Asura is great. If you do a shout asking for help or a general question, you typically get a bunch of people providing answers or assistance for free. There are a bunch of decent LSes recruiting. There is always someone shouting for people for events. You will never be bored unless you just want to do your thing only. On Asura (I came from cerb last year) it feels like the old days again. The way MMOs are supposed to be played... with lots of people from all over the world. Not just your 3 friends with multi-characters.

regarding mercenaries
Mercenaries have been around since the games inception and they wont go anywhere until there is no more game. Remember raise shouts in valkurm or quifm for gil? Or the tele-taxi services? KB/FF/NH/Aspid drops? not sure why the mercing has gotten such a bad rap lately.
Me and a LS mate were duoing Pakecet the other day a bunch of times for J. Body. No luck. Got a group to kill faster a bunch of times... no drop. He found a merc to get the drop in the end. I see no issue with this.

Regarding the emokid shouts... thats any MMO these days. and its normally started by people who enjoy that stuff. Same names over and over. B-list or ignore or do something else if it bothers you.
I agree with a lot of this but after being on many servers even in the beginning nothing like asura. It mostly hAppens during US times which is not surprising at all but wow. At the same time you’re probably right about it being same people. Thank Satan doesn’t happen on Odin.
By fonewear 2018-02-05 14:00:25  
Leviathan.Celebrindal said: »
some people like to live in big cities, other prefer to live in small towns. But even those who live in small towns typically have to "go into the city" to do some shopping, and sadly that's what we "small town" people are faced with these days.

I love my small server, I just wish SE would unify the auction houses. It would create a marketplace around the same size as a single server circa 2005, nothing too massive. There would be a an adjustment period, of course, but with ffxiah.com, many items are already within 10% of price across all servers.

I never expect them to do this. They make too much money off of server hops and they have to be aware people are jumping for game items and then returning to their home server...hell they may even factor in a certain number of hops/month as part of their income stream these days.

It really is almost a scam when you think of paying 18 dollars to buy some stuff on the AH...I mean I get it you don't have to do it but. Some people don't want to wait an eternity for some items.

I'd love to see the amount of money on server transfers alone.
By fonewear 2018-02-05 14:03:14  
Kodaijin said: »

regarding mercenaries

Yea I get it mercenaries always part of the game. But when the only shouts I see on a daily basis are mercenary...it kinda turns the entire server into ebay. I'll help you but you got to pay me x amount for the help.
By fonewear 2018-02-05 14:11:00  
And let's be honest video game culture is ***that is why you see terrible people on Asura. It attracts all the people you don't want to be around on one server.

And yes I'm aware I"m on a video game forum. But I don't consider myself a gamer.