what does it take so say you beaten ffxi
 Lakshmi.Buukki
サーバ: Lakshmi
Game: FFXI
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2017-11-30 16:00:05  
This again?

Hasn't changed:
Lakshmi.Buukki said: »
I beat this game years ago back when the level cap was 75. Got dragoon to cap in the worst era of FFXI to date for leveling.

Everything after that point is like replaying the game with cheat modes activated.
By Justuas 2017-11-30 16:05:03  
This again?

Hasn't changed:
I beat this game years ago back when the level cap was 75. Got dragoon to cap in the worst era of FFXI to date for leveling.

Everything after that point is like replaying the game with cheat modes activated.
You're saying that to beat the game you just need to level to the cap?
 Asura.Vyre
Forum Moderator
サーバ: Asura
user: Vyrerus
By Asura.Vyre 2017-11-30 16:12:27  
Can't really leave expansions out. That'd stop your game after beating Shadowlord basically, because the HNMs and stuff back then were Jueno bred stuff and beatable by alliances at level 60 or whatever it was back then.

So I guess after hitting level 60 and beating Shadowlord if you wanna be that oddly specific about excluding expansions.

Personally I agree with Cherrywine and Hevans. Whenever you've achieved the goals you want to achieve, and/or do not feel like returning to the Vana'diel, then you are done. The game is beat. You can always come back and play it again, but nothing changes conceptually. There are goals you have to work toward accomplishing, usually by grinding out some form of item or currency. It's the same thing over and over, but the goal posts get moved further to keep players occupied, forestalling their goals to keep them paying.
Forum Moderator
サーバ: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: AnnaMolly
By Anna Ruthven 2017-11-30 16:18:54  
Taking a ball bat to my PC.
[+]
 Sylph.Mozhat
サーバ: Sylph
user: Mozhat
By Sylph.Mozhat 2017-11-30 16:21:35  
When the game drives you play just to make gil to advance your gear.
Almost there. This game is driven by greed.
You can't even call the game anymore a RPG
No quest anymore to better your gear. ALL GIL now.
 Bismarck.Firedemon
サーバ: Bismarck
user: Firedemon
By Bismarck.Firedemon 2017-11-30 16:33:44  
This is my last post before I head to work, but I find it funny that people have their own thoughts on beating the game because they obtained a few key pieces of gear or something. Beating the game is beating the game, this is an MMO, you never actually beat an MMO. People can have their own goals and complete them, and that's fine, but the game is on-going.

I'll go lend out Chrono Trigger to a friend so he can play NG+ and beat Lavos off the hop, just so he can say he beat Chrono Trigger.
By Afania 2017-11-30 16:41:17  
Bismarck.Firedemon said: »
This is my last post before I head to work, but I find it funny that people have their own thoughts on beating the game because they obtained a few key pieces of gear or something. Beating the game is beating the game, this is an MMO, you never actually beat an MMO. People can have their own goals and complete them, and that's fine, but the game is on-going.

I'll go lend out Chrono Trigger to a friend so he can play NG+ and beat Lavos off the hop, just so he can say he beat Chrono Trigger.

IMo beating the game = clear every endgame boss and story missions. Collecting gears, JP and rema isn't part of it.
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
By eliroo 2017-11-30 16:47:08  
Its a MMO, you beat the game when you feel like you beat it. There isn't really an argument there, its subjective.
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
 Phoenix.Erics
サーバ: Phoenix
user: prophets
By Phoenix.Erics 2017-11-30 17:22:21  
when the servers are down for good is the only true answer, sadly ;(
 Siren.Bruno
サーバ: Siren
user: BruHouse
By Siren.Bruno 2017-11-30 18:05:46  
i had a friend whose dad didn't understand how you could play a game for so long that cant be beaten so his dad took his ps2 and threw it out the window and said "there, i beat the game for you"
[+]
 Lakshmi.Lenus
user: Lenus
By Lakshmi.Lenus 2017-11-30 18:22:30  
You've beaten the game when you get banned and move onto FFXIV...or you just go buy more FFXI accounts and repeat the process. So get banned so you beat the game!
[+]
 Fenrir.Tarowyn
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Tarowyn
By Fenrir.Tarowyn 2017-11-30 19:57:05  
Even in single player rpg's, there's a difference between beating a game and getting 100% completion/platinum trophy/whatever.

I'd say all missions are beating the game, anything else is just working towards completion.
 Fenrir.Cherrywine
By Fenrir.Cherrywine 2017-11-30 20:56:18  
This is beating the game:
Bahamut.Lexouritis said: »
Ran into some sort of Bug, not sure if it's been reported.

Popped Aurix, took him down to 80%, he warped. Popped Aurix a 2nd time, killed him really quickly.

Saw another 'No eye Color Stat'. Pulled it, popped Aurix. He stoood there at 0% Hp, no one could engage it. He regenerated to 10%. Still, No one could engage it. He went idle the whole run, sitting in one spot, at 10%, and unable to engage.

Needless to say, confusion set in, so we abandoned this impervious goblin thing. Went and killed Overlord for TE. Killed Overlord.

NO TE was given, and no higher level mobs spawned. Dynamis was blank...nothing anywhere....oh

Except that afk impervious Aurix sitting in the same spot. Needless to say, we were kicked after 1hour, with the last 10mins spent Leroy Jenkins in the empty dynamis zone.

AKA: If you kill Aurix before Overlord, Avoid Eyeless statues like the plague.
By volkom 2017-11-30 21:20:23  
when you spend more time talking about FFXI than actually playing
[+]
By clearlyamule 2017-11-30 21:21:47  
low manned Bubbly Bernie
[+]
 Lakshmi.Chilzen
user: Chilzen
By Lakshmi.Chilzen 2017-11-30 22:51:55  
In Final Fantasy tradition, simply following the story from start to finish is all that it should take to beat the game.

Side quests, super bosses, and sometimes even a bit of post-game content are nice and can be meaty at points, but they exist for certain types of players and have no bearing on the regular game besides providing rewards that make the main journey that much easier. Lunar Trials from the FF4 GBA / PSP updates are great since players can obtain super weapons and fight harder variants of bosses, while having some story slapped on and setting up an optional super boss that's a reskin of a final boss. In XI, we'd just call this Dynamis.

Just play the story and enjoy the fact that over the course of 12 years, your character went from background to supporting and ultimately lead role, while bringing peace and finality to the realm. The fact that RoV wraps things up nice and neat for the game is such a big deal compared to how SE could have just pulled the plug and blamed it on dwindling subscriber counts, like other MMOs have done in the past. XI has a clear start when they introduce your nation and your character upon creation, and has a clear finish with RoV's plotline, so that's clearly how one beats this game.

Now, if you wanna go "The Completionist" on about 15 years worth of content, feel free to hate yourself and your free time by utilizing any definition of what one feels it takes to "complete" the game.
[+]
By fonewear 2017-12-05 20:27:37  
clearlyamule said: »
low manned Bubbly Bernie

I was going to say build a mythic to beat Bubbly Bernie ! Then shout Easy Ambu REMA required.
[+]
 Odin.Kealoha
サーバ: Odin
user: Kealohaa
By Odin.Kealoha 2017-12-05 20:33:22  
If you've beaten Dynamis-Tavnazia during the 75 era...
 Quetzalcoatl.Senaki
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
user: Senaki
By Quetzalcoatl.Senaki 2017-12-05 20:37:20  
fonewear said: »
clearlyamule said: »
low manned Bubbly Bernie

I was going to say build a mythic to beat Bubbly Bernie ! Then shout Easy Ambu REMA required.

Lol, I can imagine:
"Ambuscade V2 Very Esay, REMA + Job Points Master jobs only!"
xD
[+]
 Bahamut.Dannyl
サーバ: Bahamut
user: dannyl
By Bahamut.Dannyl 2017-12-05 21:04:27  
"playing" the game while watching netflix or a movie same time; it's safe to say you've beaten it
By kishr 2017-12-06 01:52:57  
accomplish a personal goal.
wether its story or a weapon.
it finishes when you beleive it does.
[+]
By whitemage 2017-12-06 08:39:23  
It is open to various interpretations. It can mean:

1. that you have beaten every NM, completed every quest and mission, collected every item at some point, leveled every craft, crafted HQ versions of every item, learned every spell, mastered every job, gotten perfect augments on every piece of armor (including those of the old synergy / evolith system and the Field Parchment NM / Fields of Valor Elite Training NMs), participated in every event... all of that, on multiple characters... and more.

2. Used some 3rd party software that you were not supposed to use and have seen Vana'diel from perspectives that most players will never see.

3. ...or that you have beaten the Rhapsodies of Vana'diel final battle and watched the credits roll.
 Asura.Azagarth
user: Azagarth
By Asura.Azagarth 2017-12-06 09:12:53  
Only truly beat when you have done all missions and quest lines. To do all quest lines requires every REAM done too since they have their own stories. It's a big game, Gotta catch
em all!
 Asura.Sagaxi
user: xXSagaXx
By Asura.Sagaxi 2017-12-06 09:21:55  
A better question would be, imo: What do you want to achieve before someone press the final shutdown on FFXI servers...
[+]
 Fenrir.Cherrywine
By Fenrir.Cherrywine 2017-12-06 09:34:18  
It is quite a stretch to say every Aeonic and Empyrean has its own story.
While you are at it, why not complete every Mission, Quest, Porter Slip, Key Item, REMA, craft and eat every food on every race. Which includes weddings in every race combination.

Look, there are these things called speed runs--how quickly can one beat a game by skipping as much unecessary content as possible.
As such, simply save the world as many times as the game requires until the credits roll. You did it.
 Ragnarok.Hotkarl
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: hotkarl
By Ragnarok.Hotkarl 2017-12-06 09:55:30  
Pay mercs to beat all content and get all gear drops then afk like your a bad ***.
[+]
 Asura.Pergatory
user: Pergatory
By Asura.Pergatory 2017-12-06 13:57:23  
If someone claimed they beat FFVII, would you assume they'd killed Emerald & Ruby Weapons, and had all their characters Lv99 with their ultimate weapon?

In my opinion, finishing RoV is beating the game.
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2017-12-06 15:36:23  
Asura.Pergatory said: »
If someone claimed they beat FFVII, would you assume they'd killed Emerald & Ruby Weapons, and had all their characters Lv99 with their ultimate weapon?

In my opinion, finishing RoV is beating the game.

If you say you beat 7 w/o emerald and ruby, then you're wrong.

Winning includes "final" boss and harder than final boss boss(es). Items/Levels are irrelevant.
[+]