Tom Petty, Legendary Rocker, Is Dead At 66

言語: JP EN DE FR
2010-06-21
New Items
users online
フォーラム » Everything Else » Chatterbox » Tom Petty, legendary rocker, is dead at 66
Tom Petty, legendary rocker, is dead at 66
サーバ: Ultros
Game: FFXIV
user: Serj
By Ciri Zireael 2017-10-02 15:34:23  
Tom Petty, legendary rocker, is dead at 66

Quote:
Tom Petty, the rocker best known as the frontman of Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, is dead at 66, CBS News has confirmed.

The legendary musician suffered a full cardiac arrest and was found unconscious and not breathing in his Malibu home Sunday night. He was taken to UCLA Santa Monica Hospital and put on life support, reports TMZ.

Petty rose to fame in the 1970s with his band, Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers. The group put out several hits, including "American Girl," "Stop Draggin' My Heart Around," "Breakdown," "Listen to Her Heart" and more. The band was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2002. Petty was also a successful solo artist and sang the megahit "Freefallin'."

Though Petty and his band debuted their first self-titled record in 1976, they continued to perform over the past four decades. Petty played his last show last Monday, performing three sold-out shows at the Hollywood Bowl to conclude their 40th anniversary tour. The band wrote on their website that the tour included 53 shows in 24 states.

In December, Petty told Rolling Stone that he thought this would be the group's last tour together. He said, "It's very likely we'll keep playing, but will we take on 50 shows in one tour? I don't think so. I'd be lying if I didn't say I was thinking this might be the last big one. We're all on the backside of our sixties. I have a granddaughter now I'd like to see as much as I can. I don't want to spend my life on the road. This tour will take me away for four months. With a little kid, that's a lot of time."

Petty, who released three solo albums and 13 albums with Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, also took part in the 1980s supergroup the Traveling Wilburys with Bob Dylan, George Harrison, Roy Orbison and Jeff Lynne. He told Rolling Stone he was hoping to release a deluxe version of his 1994 solo album "Wildflowers" with a bonus disc of unreleased material. He had also hoped to play a special "Wildflowers" tour.

The rocker kept his hands full with his SiriusXM channel, Tom Petty Radio, as well. He personally oversaw the station and had his own interview show called "Tom Talks to Cool People" where he interviewed musicians like Micky Dolenz of the Monkees and former Rolling Stones manager Andrew Loog Oldham.

Petty was born and raised in Gainesville, Florida. He said he wanted to become a musician when he was 13 and saw The Beatles play on "The Ed Sullivan Show." He told Grammy.com, "This was the great moment in my life, really, that changed everything. I had been a fan up to that point. But this was the thing that made me want to play music." He added, "It did have a great profound effect on my life, and I thank them for that. I still think the Beatles [made] the best music ever, and I'm sure I'll go to my grave thinking the same thing."
 Asura.Kuztastic
サーバ: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: RobKuz
By Asura.Kuztastic 2017-10-02 15:41:56  
So unbelievably bummed about this

Today just sucks

(And if one more person I know makes the joke that it's "Heartbreaking" I'm gonna slap the crap outta them)
 Cerberus.Aydogan
サーバ: Cerberus
user: Aydogan
By Cerberus.Aydogan 2017-10-02 17:18:35  
Really bummed about Tom Petty's passing. When I was 13, I first heard the chorus to American Girl, and the combination of the guitar twang and vocal harmonies caused something to click in my brain, and that was the moment I fell in love with music. I listened to nothing but Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers for the next two years, absorbed every note, studied every lyric, sang every word, and became a super fan in my own mind. I continued to follow the band closely for the next 20 years, seeing them live seven times and scooping up every new release the day it came out. For me, today is one of those days you subconsciously know is inevitable but still hope it never comes. I guess the silver lining with a musician passing is you'll always have the music.

It's time to move on, time to get going
What lies ahead, I have no way of knowing
But under my feet, babe, grass is growing
Yeah it's to move on, time to get going
 Lakshmi.Splinters
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: Splinters
By Lakshmi.Splinters 2017-10-02 17:41:28  
He may still pass, but as of 28 minutes ago he was still alive and struggling to live.
 Cerberus.Aydogan
サーバ: Cerberus
user: Aydogan
By Cerberus.Aydogan 2017-10-02 17:53:33  
I hope you're right. Looks like some news outlets are updating their story from "Dead" to "Not dead yet."
サーバ: Ultros
Game: FFXIV
user: Serj
By Ciri Zireael 2017-10-02 19:57:44  
Swear to god if my emotions are getting toyed with I'll be really angry and possibly stomp my feet. Sensationalized news is really getting aggravating when it's bullshitting deaths.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
サーバ: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2017-10-03 00:36:57  
Supposedly confirmed by his manager that he is, in fact, dead. He was essentially brain dead by the time paramedics got to him.
By fillerbunny9 2017-10-03 07:24:24  
his website now has the hashtag #riptompetty, so there's no question at this point.

Full Moon Fever was played a lot in our house when I was growing up, but this was always my favorite:

YouTube Video Placeholder
[+]