users online
フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Ninja » NIN off hand weapon <---no Perdue
NIN off hand weapon <---no Perdue
 Asura.Cyclonis
サーバ: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Cyclonis
By Asura.Cyclonis 2009-09-17 17:58:24  
Hey just wanted to get some opinions out there about the thoughts of Unji > Fudo as an off hand katana. I'm still working on Perdue (/cry) and have looked into many guides about this and there is no mention of Unji any where? I have been off-handong Unji for 3 years now, I love the low delay, and the + stats. But...is the %crit+ on the Fudo all that much better? Also on an unrelated topic, I use Rutters in day time and koga boots at nihgt due to the dex modifers. Am I also aproaching this wrong? Thanks in advance.

Edit: i meant i use rutters as WS in day not full time
 Diabolos.Chibixzero
サーバ: Diabolos
By Diabolos.Chibixzero 2009-09-17 18:02:40  
I use shusui for off hand
[+]
 Alexander.Ultrarichard
サーバ: Alexander
By Alexander.Ultrarichard 2009-09-17 18:10:54  
i use unsho, cause i ruined my fudo, or Mamo+1 when solo/farming/lowman.
 Asura.Cyclonis
サーバ: Asura
user: Cyclonis
By Asura.Cyclonis 2009-09-17 18:13:19  
what about for a merit set up?
 Hades.Lumei
サーバ: Hades
user: Lumei
By Hades.Lumei 2009-09-17 18:40:06  
hototogisu.
[+]
 Bismarck.Verace
サーバ: Bismarck
user: Verace
By Bismarck.Verace 2009-09-17 19:04:27  
Use a Fudo for DD/Solo/Farming 3% crit hit > all the other junk from AH katana's
 Seraph.Caiyuo
サーバ: Seraph
user: Caiyuo
By Seraph.Caiyuo 2009-09-17 19:37:20  
Just out of the gate definitely do not TP in Rutters. I wouldn't even recommend them for WS given Denali's accuracy and a multi-hit WS. NIN gets access to too much haste gear to ditch a slot like that, though even TP'ing in Denali would be better than Rutters, with your best option being Usu feet or the 3% haste feeties.

As for katananas, the standard setup is Senj/Perdu as you seem to be aiming for, but it's actually not uncommon to still see Unji/Unsho pre-perdu (and then Unji/Perdu) post-TP update or Senj/Unji, with Unsho being swappable with Unji based on preference, but most generally opt for the higher base damage and DEX. You can grab FFXI Calculator and see how your TP/hit to 100% changes because depending on the amount of DW in your TP set Unji may not cause you to need more hits to 100%, but get there quicker. Just as a sample, 75NIN with natural DW and Suppa (no StoreTP/Usu), TP'ing in something besides a body with DW gets 100% in 22 hits with either Fudo or Unji off-handed, but gets there .2 seconds quicker each attack round, which will add up considerably over the span of a typical merit assuming you have the accuracy to take advantage of it.

Fudo's really not all that common anymore just because the crit% between Senj and Fudo do not stack with one another, although that doesn't make it a bad choice. It still stacks with natural/merited crit rate for each hand. I generally prefer the lower-delay approach, but you can likely find official testing on it if you really hunt. Just my 2 cents!

Edit: Forgot new augment katanana, Tsukumo, but haven't seen any tests on it. Would depend entirely on the augments, of course. lol
 Alexander.Ultrarichard
サーバ: Alexander
By Alexander.Ultrarichard 2009-09-17 20:18:23  
Cyclonis said:
what about for a merit set up?

If you're well enough geared, can use Dagger/senj, and go with Evisceration. But if not, Senj/unsho are probably the best, moar speed ect.
 Carbuncle.Taintedone
サーバ: Carbuncle
By Carbuncle.Taintedone 2009-09-18 01:27:06  
O.o Colleges are making FF items now? (Perdue....Purdue? (sp?))

Can I get a "Florida Gators Hagun"?

>.>
[+]
 Pandemonium.Vincevalentine
サーバ: Pandemonium
user:
By Pandemonium.Vincevalentine 2009-09-18 03:10:09
 Delete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

I would go Senji/Unji. I loved that katana when I had it, but Perdu made me happy in the pants. I like the speed option of Unji versus the 3% critical hit rate of Fudo, but it's all what you want to use.
 Valefor.Stubbie
サーバ: Valefor
user: Stubbie
By Valefor.Stubbie 2009-10-12 04:05:27  
my vote goes to senj/shusui im using that until perdu at least but for anything that really matters nothing will break me off of the stun+1 katanas
 Fairy.Vytiss
サーバ: Fairy
user: Vytiss
By Fairy.Vytiss 2009-10-26 15:32:58  
i used to Senj.>Fudo, until I got Perdu

<3 subbing my m.kris and /dnc for campaign tho'. Soooo SexE

Undelete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
 Sylph.Ascher
サーバ: Sylph
user: Ascher
By Sylph.Ascher 2009-10-26 17:07:41  
Agreed with Verace, do not forget with a good haste build on your nin the delay on almost any katana can almost be ignored in turn you will turn to looking for the higher base damage and crit% Fudo offers.

Edit: Not to mention the merited crits with senj/fudo setup.

Fudo didn't rise in price from what it use to be for nothing.
 Siren.Enternius
サーバ: Siren
user: Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2009-10-26 17:15:45  
Yeah.

It went up because people augment it now.

It's no better than it used to be.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [73 days between previous and next post]
 Diabolos.Buttercakes
By Diabolos.Buttercakes 2010-01-07 16:44:32  
I use Fudo/Senji. Fudo's outparses unji/unsho no matter the situation. The low delay is pretty cool, but dual fudos or fudo/senji is your best bet.
 Ragnarok.Inga
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Inga
By Ragnarok.Inga 2010-01-07 16:54:19  
Diabolos.Buttercakes said:
I use Fudo/Senji. Fudo's outparses unji/unsho no matter the situation. The low delay is pretty cool, but dual fudos or fudo/senji is your best bet.

>_> senj/fudo you got it backwards, fairly sure you would want 6% on your WS rather 3%, yes you lose 1 Base DMG but I've never noticed anything horrible from that.
[+]
 Diabolos.Buttercakes
By Diabolos.Buttercakes 2010-01-07 16:55:29  
Pretty sure that using anything in your OH that has less dmg than your MH is just LOL. 3% more crit does NOT make up for that 1 base dmg.
[+]
 Garuda.Hypnotizd
サーバ: Garuda
user: hypnotizd
By Garuda.Hypnotizd 2010-01-07 17:00:16  
Being that a NIN's main WS is Blade: Jin, yes, 3% does make a bigger difference than 1 base damage.
 Siren.Stewie
サーバ: Siren
user: Stewie
By Siren.Stewie 2010-01-07 17:36:41  
Quote:
Pretty sure that using anything in your OH that has less dmg than your MH is just LOL. 3% more crit does NOT make up for that 1 base dmg.

Yes it does.
 Diabolos.Buttercakes
By Diabolos.Buttercakes 2010-01-07 17:44:43  
Hmm, was browsing BG, apparently this debate has been going on for ages. Senji wins (assuming Blade: Jin). However the difference is minuscule at best.
 Ramuh.Dasva
サーバ: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-01-07 17:46:48  
That 1 base dmg depending on ws gear and such could easily only equate to an increase in 1-1.5% dmg to ws.

Every crit hit will add 22%-250% on max pdif and 63- litterally infinity% dmg to on min pdif hits.

Assuming a Cratio of 1.5 which isn't too hard to get when DDing the dmg increase from crit from a non-crit should range from 55% on max pdif to 100% on min pdif. So an average of say 75% for rounding.

Jin is 3 hits so a single crit hit would increase dmg by 25%. So yeah a 3% increase in crit hit rate would average more dmg and certainly get highest numbers
 Pandemonium.Vincentius
By Pandemonium.Vincentius 2010-01-07 17:55:33  
It's still 3% you're missing out on. It's probably a 1-2% increase in crits on WS overall, but yeah, it makes a difference and you're just gimping yourself if you refuse to make a simple change.

And Dasva, Jin is 4. (lolDual Wield doesn't count, amirite)
 Ramuh.Dasva
サーバ: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-01-07 18:00:22  
Hey the nin could be not DWing!!! Also the extra hit is done with the offhand anyways
 Pandemonium.Vincentius
By Pandemonium.Vincentius 2010-01-07 18:01:39  
And I'd hope they go Mijin Gakure something without reraise up.

aka: Kill yoself.