フォーラム » Everything Else » Tech Support » help with installing ffxi on PC please
help with installing ffxi on PC please
First Page 2
 Shiva.Joeyyy
サーバ: Shiva
Game: FFXI
user: joeyyy
By Shiva.Joeyyy 2016-01-08 17:11:17  
Thanks in advance for any help. I've been trying to install ffxi for a while and manage to download the 4 files from the playonline site. When I go to click on setup.exe it goes through the accepting terms box fine but after I click next it says 7zip there is no such archive. I have Windows vista.
Also does it matter if I run the eu or us client? I don't know if it matters? I think I did the us one. I'm in Aus so usually went under eu for Se support etc. think it's missing something but idk much about pcs.
Please none of this "it's not that hard" comments, I've heard that one already.. Thanks guys
By Clinpachi 2016-01-08 18:07:31  
I've had that happen before, I think you need to redownload it because it got corrupted or something.

I eventually got tired of it and shelled out 9.99$ so I could have a copy of the game on steam install everything for me then I usually drag the update files from tehkrizz.net so I don't update for an eternity.

Hope that helps :D
 Sylph.Pabu
サーバ: Sylph
user: Pabuchu
By Sylph.Pabu 2016-01-08 18:33:48  
I think you downloaded the wrong one, I had this problem too. Got it working by downloading from here:

http://www.playonline.com/ff11us/download/media/vista01.html?pageID=media Scroll to the Bottom and click on Agree for a single file Setup.exe

Undelete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
 Shiva.Joeyyy
By Shiva.Joeyyy 2016-01-08 19:10:39  
Thanks guys! :) trying to download the other one now XD I'm not sure how to compile them together but will hopefully work it out..

Undelete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
 Shiva.Joeyyy
By Shiva.Joeyyy 2016-01-09 00:03:38  
I put them in a folder together but getting this error..

0 Finalfantasyxi.data.001 unspecified error
2 . Can not open file Finalfantasyxi.data.002 as archive
3 can not open file Finalfantasyxi.data.003 as archive
By joeyyy 2016-01-09 01:09:41  
Sylph.Pabu said: »
I think you downloaded the wrong one, I had this problem too. Got it working by downloading from here:

http://www.playonline.com/ff11us/download/media/vista01.html?pageID=media Scroll to the Bottom and click on Agree for a single file Setup.exe

I looked at that link, it says it requires a disk which I don't have because my Xbox recently died and wanting to move to PC =/
 Bahamut.Scizor
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Scizor
By Bahamut.Scizor 2016-01-09 01:27:17  
joeyyy said: »

I looked at that link, it says it requires a disk which I don't have because my Xbox recently died and wanting to move to PC =/
Scroll straight to the bottom and click agree, dont need to read anything Setup.exe will start downloading. Don't need a disk for this
 Shiva.Joeyyy
By Shiva.Joeyyy 2016-01-09 02:32:46  
thanks guys, now installing playonline but it's only pol not ffxi as well because the installing screen only says 260 files. I read that I'd need to get ffxi for Windows, thinking that's the one I've already downloaded but don't even know how it all comes together as it was showing errors on it earlier.
Why can't this be straightforward like installing ffxi on Xbox was years ago lol.
Thanks for being patient with me, I'm just a PC confusedtaru lol.
 Shiva.Joeyyy
By Shiva.Joeyyy 2016-01-09 03:09:42  
I managed to open playonline and get up to before the ffxi log in would usually take me into the game. However I can't figure out where to get ffxi to play.. The 4 files I downloaded earlier was the Windows ffxi download I'm pretty sure and it just has errors when I try to install it.
Eu link for an easy way to do the next part please? I found out we are definately eu.
 Bahamut.Vinedrius
user: Devrom
By Bahamut.Vinedrius 2016-01-09 03:20:34  
EU setup files:
http://www.playonline.com/ff11eu/download/media/install_win.html
 Shiva.Joeyyy
By Shiva.Joeyyy 2016-01-09 03:26:53  
Thanks but I think that one is the ones I have already and won't work :(
 Bahamut.Vinedrius
By Bahamut.Vinedrius 2016-01-09 03:43:38  
Ok. Since you said Vista and EU, try this:

Download the Vista compatible EU POL from here (click "agree" at the bottom of page):
http://www.playonline.com/ff11eu/download/media/vista01.html?pageID=media

Install POL. Make sure the FFXI setup files you downloaded are EU and in the same location.

Run FFXISETUP.exe and install the original game and expansions using the menu. You won't need any discs. Make sure the installation path for all of them is: (e.g. Program Files)\Playonline\SquareEnix\FINAL FANTASY XI. Your POL installation should be at this path: (e.g. Program Files)\Playonline\SquareEnix\PlayOnlineViewer.

If it still fails, try with NA POL and game setup files.
 Shiva.Joeyyy
By Shiva.Joeyyy 2016-01-09 04:10:10  
Hmm that's the link I did do and it only gave me pol and tetra master.. :o must've missed something! Guess I'll have to uninstall it. Thanks
 Bahamut.Vinedrius
By Bahamut.Vinedrius 2016-01-09 05:04:52  
Shiva.Joeyyy said: »
Hmm that's the link I did do and it only gave me pol and tetra master.. :o must've missed something! Guess I'll have to uninstall it. Thanks

That link is only for POL. You should download the FFXI setup files too.

Step by step:
- Download Vista compatible POL; http://www.playonline.com/ff11eu/download/media/vista01.html?pageID=media
- Run setup.exe and install POL.
- Download FFXI setup files (all 4); http://www.playonline.com/ff11eu/download/media/install_win.html
- Run FFXISETUP.exe and install the original game and expansions using the menu, one by one but make sure the installation path for all of them is: (e.g. Program Files)\Playonline\SquareEnix\FINAL FANTASY XI. Your POL installation should be at this path: (e.g. Program Files)\Playonline\SquareEnix\PlayOnlineViewer.
- Run POL and enter your POL account. If you are able to login, then your account is EU so you should also be able to start the FFXI update and login to the game.
 Shiva.Joeyyy
By Shiva.Joeyyy 2016-01-09 06:02:41  
Sorry the 4 files that the eu seekers is where it has the errors :( do I already have the eu ones after I deleted the us. I tried the us version first then today the eu one and both had errors. I really think that the setup.exe, data 001,2 and 3 has maybe wrong settings or something is missing with my PC compatibility somewhere but idk what.
My friends who also play ffxi are coming over to have a look tomorrow and see whether they can pinpoint something. My husband is not much better than I am at PC workings and also used to play ffxi on Xbox only so no help really..
Thanks guys for your help! :) Wish me luck for this mess of a download lol.
 Shiva.Joeyyy
By Shiva.Joeyyy 2016-01-10 02:15:20  
To those who end up having the same issue as me- buy the download from Se.. My friends brought their copy of the Se seekers edition over today and we got the problem sorted, no headaches ;)
Installed it on my PC with no problems and started doing the pol update of the game fine :) just have to get through alllll the updates from pol and It'll be all sorted :)
Thanks guys who helped with tips :)
Thought I'd better post back with what worked for me for others who have the same issues :)
 Phoenix.Gaiarorshack
サーバ: Phoenix
user: MiavPigen
By Phoenix.Gaiarorshack 2016-01-10 03:12:06  
Try running a memory and CPU test it might be that you PC is doing some wrong calculations and decompression is pretty demanding on correct calculations.

i would love to direct you to the easiest way to do this but you have provided miraculous little information about the product you seek help with (your pc).

The link provide by sylph,.pabu is not for FFXI but just for pol. that why you are not getting anything out of trying that

Bahamut.Vinedrius is advising you on stuff you need to do after the failed installation is completed which is why that will not help you either.

Please provide more info about you PC system. To get help.
Don't let people waste time on assumption and guesses.
 Shiva.Joeyyy
By Shiva.Joeyyy 2016-01-10 05:48:39  
I got it all fixed with the bought download from the square Enix website that my friends bought me a copy of theirs over today. Sorry was explaining that in my last message. So all fixed and sorted no more help needed :) just thought I'd confirm on the post what worked. The square Enix seekers download was the answer to the issue.
I'm guessing my PC just couldn't work out the free Windows copy..
By Jetackuu 2016-01-10 06:17:12  
Thanks in advance for any help. I've been trying to install ffxi for a while and manage to download the 4 files from the playonline site. When I go to click on setup.exe it goes through the accepting terms box fine but after I click next it says 7zip there is no such archive. I have Windows vista.
Also does it matter if I run the eu or us client? I don't know if it matters? I think I did the us one. I'm in Aus so usually went under eu for Se support etc. think it's missing something but idk much about pcs.
Please none of this "it's not that hard" comments, I've heard that one already.. Thanks guys
You didn't download all 4 of the files in the same folder, or they're corrupted, don't use IE as a start.

No, that's just the Vista+ POL, which is bundled with the full client in the other downloader.

Shiva.Xathias said: »
I went through the same thing. Make sure that all of the files are unzipped and in the same folder. The files download in an odd fashion, but the archive error is due to the file not being where it 'thinks' it should be. Compile them altogether, with the main Play Online file and you should be set.

No, you do not "unzip" them, they're self extracting archives.

I put them in a folder together but getting this error..

0 Finalfantasyxi.data.001 unspecified error
2 . Can not open file Finalfantasyxi.data.002 as archive
3 can not open file Finalfantasyxi.data.003 as archive

Make sure they file names haven't changed from what they are on the site, it's looking for specific files.

As for everyone else: You do not need to download the vista compatibility unless you're installing from physical media and nobody should be doing that in 2016.

Seriously, it's not that hard.
By Jetackuu 2016-01-10 06:18:53  
This is the client you needed:

http://gdl.square-enix.com/ffxi/download/eu/FFXISETUP.exe
http://gdl.square-enix.com/ffxi/download/eu/FINALFANTASYXI.Data.001
http://gdl.square-enix.com/ffxi/download/eu/FINALFANTASYXI.Data.002
http://gdl.square-enix.com/ffxi/download/eu/FINALFANTASYXI.Data.003

download all 4 files as their original filenames shown here into the same folder, run the .exe

It's that simple. (For others), EU client.
 Bahamut.Vinedrius
By Bahamut.Vinedrius 2016-01-10 07:52:01  
Phoenix.Gaiarorshack said: »
Bahamut.Vinedrius is advising you on stuff you need to do after the failed installation is completed which is why that will not help you either.

Please provide more info about you PC system. To get help.
Don't let people waste time on assumption and guesses.

I gave her the link to all the setup files she needed. If those files are corrupted or if she failed to download them into the same folder as told, it isn't my fault. Also I don't understand what you mean by advising on stuff to do after the failed installation. I only explained how to install the game.

As for the vista compatible POL, she is using vista and I wasn't sure if the official package would cause any compatibility issue so explained a way to install the game by installing the vista compatible POL from that official link, instead of the one provided in the official package, which isn't functionally any different.
 leo
By leo 2016-01-10 09:06:03  
For people to understand, the "free" installer archive is a "self extracting 7zip archive" which actually extracts the three "FINALFANTASYXI.Data.xxx" files into a temporary folder then attempt to install each one separately and in sequence.

The EXE file called "FFXISETUP.EXE" is an automated program which unpacks then call each installation in sequence.(by release time)
At the end it deletes the temporary folder.

That's why you need all four files for it to work.

Also you should have the most recent version of POL on the package so no need to download the tiny POL installer from vista compatibility patch.

They only keep that online as a service for people with the older install discs.
[+]
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [868 days between previous and next post]
 Shiva.Mitchum
By Shiva.Mitchum 2018-05-27 21:24:04  
Having this exact issue right now and have been for hours. I purchased the most recent pack from SE to get the game re downloaded but.. now I just get the same error messages as shown above.. I restored my pc to factory settings and placed all files in same folder with right names and I still get the issue. I’m using Windows 10. Any tips?
 Phoenix.Morier
サーバ: Phoenix
user: Morier
By Phoenix.Morier 2018-05-27 23:11:17  
Go to pol.com. They have all the files you need and step by step instructions. Don't forget to go into windows features and turn legacy on.
By Jetackuu 2018-05-28 01:18:15  
Shiva.Mitchum said: »
Having this exact issue right now and have been for hours. I purchased the most recent pack from SE to get the game re downloaded but.. now I just get the same error messages as shown above.. I restored my pc to factory settings and placed all files in same folder with right names and I still get the issue. I’m using Windows 10. Any tips?

Then they're most likely incomplete files, try another browser. Also try disabling your a/v if it's giving you problems (of course re-enable it when done or if moot).
 Carbuncle.Stiltz
サーバ: Carbuncle
user: Stiltz
By Carbuncle.Stiltz 2018-05-28 03:36:12  
1.) Do a complete reinstall.
2.) Disable DPI scaling.
3.) Manually edit your registry settings in regards to menu and game resolutions (4k UHD).
4.) Disable DPI scaling.
5.) Disable DPI scaling.
 Shiva.Mitchum
By Shiva.Mitchum 2018-05-28 05:20:44  
Legacy is ticked and antivirus is off. It’s worth noting that the game was running fine yesterday on the same laptop but stopped working all of a sudden and tried to reinstall every time pol was opened.. couldn’t get around it so I did what usually works and reset the laptop to nothing and fresh installed but now this is where I am. It’s so deeply frustrating and I appreciate everyone help!! Had a quick nap so hoping to get back to trying shortly..
First Page 2