Populism And Nationalism On The Rise In Europe

言語: JP EN DE FR
2010-06-21
New Items
users online
フォーラム » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Populism and nationalism on the rise in Europe
Populism and nationalism on the rise in Europe
First Page 2 ... 16 17 18
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
サーバ: Valefor
Game: FFXI
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-12-08 08:02:33  
Quote:
The European Union is under threat from rising populism and nationalism fuelled by a record migrant influx, European Parliament president Martin Schulz warned Tuesday.

"The European Union is in danger. No one can say whether the EU will still exist in this form in 10 years," Schulz said in an interview with German newspaper Die Welt.

In the EU there were now "forces at work to drive us apart," said the German politician.

"We must avoid this because the consequences would be dramatic."

The alternative to the EU would be a "Europe of nationalism, a Europe of borders and walls" -- a formula that had led the continent into "catastrophe" repeatedly in the past, Schulz said.

Germany is on course to take in one million asylum seekers this year, half of them from Syria.

Schulz voiced concern about a lack of solidarity by many EU members in hosting the refugees, and about moves by several eastern European countries to build new barriers.

He said "the retreat of many governments into nation-based thinking is fatal".

"No country alone can handle challenges such as migration, climate change, terrorism, trade and international crime. We can only do it together, as the EU."
This is an important topic imo. Cause what happened in France the other day with the extreme right winning the majority of votes is not an isolated case. It's happening all over Europe, and in Italy too the far right gains worrying levels of consensus.
Philip II of Macedon said dividi et impera. The more our union falls apart, the weaker we become and a fertile ground for more wars.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-12-08 08:06:08  
It's nice* to know that Europe has fear mongers and scrupulous opportunists ready to seize the spotlight and power on the back of fear and misunderstanding too.

*obviously not nice.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2015-12-08 08:07:20  
You know, I can kind of understand some parts of Europe wanting to maintain their heritage, and culture.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-12-08 08:12:42  
But this isn't about wanting to maintain heritage and culture.

That can be done almost regardless of setting.

I'm fairly certain there are more Americans with varying degrees of Irish blood in their ancestry maintaining Irish culture and heritage than there are people in Ireland doing so by simple virtue of there being more people in the US of Irish heredity who want to cling to that aspect of their history whereas in Ireland it's just...around them.

What I'm saying is, bringing in new culture to your own can be a beautiful thing that enriches and further enlightens your life while also reminding you that what you have is worth preserving as well.

A society of xenophobia and seclusion is a society that is choking itself slowly to death.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2015-12-08 08:13:16  
Ramyrez said: »
A society of xenophobia and seclusion is a society that is choking itself slowly to death.
I concur.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
サーバ: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-12-08 08:15:01  
Most of these parties have borderline fascist ideologies. I really don't want to live in the same type of society as my grandparents did.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-12-08 08:25:37  
Valefor.Sehachan said: »
Most of these parties have borderline fascist ideologies. I really don't want to live in the same type of society as my grandparents did.

It's really upsetting that the same people who glorify the America of their grandparents/great grandparents day and stand proudly for "what they fought for" are embracing exactly what they fought against as an ill-conceived means of doing so.

It's bad enough that it happens here in the continental US where we were never directly affected by the horrors of WWII. It's further upsetting that it's happening in Europe, where those things happened directly.
By Jetackuu 2015-12-08 08:26:21  
This is why more people need to understand history, not just pass it.
[+]
By fonewear 2015-12-08 08:28:25  
Jetackuu said: »
This is why more people need to understand history, not just pass it.

I took History once all I remember is Egyptians built pyramids. Rome did some stuff. Then nothing happened and here we are in 2015.
 Cerberus.Tidis
MSPaint Winner
サーバ: Cerberus
user: tidis
By Cerberus.Tidis 2015-12-08 08:30:19  
We certainly have our own issues in the UK.

1. UKIP

2. EDL

3. Britain First

4. Not to mention the far right wing views of our current Conservative government.

[+]
By fonewear 2015-12-08 08:33:06  
The extreme right wing is taking over the Europe. Oh the horror !
[+]
 Sylph.Shadowlina
Forum Moderator
Lockstylin'
サーバ: Sylph
By Sylph.Shadowlina 2015-12-08 08:37:33  
Cerberus.Tidis said: »
We certainly have our own issues in the UK.

1. UKIP

2. EDL

3. Britain First

4. Not to mention the far right wing views of our current Conservative government.

Just looking at British Political parties at the moment with UKIP and stuff like that. The Rise is very much there.
Here it started with the simple remarks about Polish folks coming here, and has now fully blossomed into this anti-European Union movement.

Which is kind of disconcerting knowing for how long the UK was VETOed from joining the EU, and now we're one of the nations who are stuck on this Limbo on if we want to leave or not. Watch the plan be for us to leave <_<; and that triggers major issues. But Brit-land wont decide until May 2016(ish) Or 2017.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-12-08 08:45:51  
Headline: Demonize your own culture, and some people will actually push back.
[+]
 Bismarck.Dracondria
サーバ: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2015-12-08 08:53:45  
Over here the Sweden Democrats are quickly becoming the second or third largest party and they try to mask it but we all know they're racists. They've had to remove a LOT of high ranking members because what they've said has been leaked. They want to almost close off immigration and not help out and are getting a lot of ***for it but that doesn't seem to stop their growth.
[+]
 Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2015-12-08 08:57:41  
They also wanted to create a registry where it would tell you if someone is fully Swedish, born here to immigrant parents or if you came here from another country. What the ***.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-12-08 09:06:42  
Ragnarok.Nausi said: »
Headline: Demonize your own culture, and some people will actually push back.

Didn't. Learn. Anything.
[+]
 Bahamut.Omael
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Omael
By Bahamut.Omael 2015-12-08 09:07:12  
Bismarck.Dracondria said: »
They also wanted to create a registry where it would tell you if someone is fully Swedish, born here to immigrant parents or if you came here from another country. What the ***.

Got to keep track of who's a pure Swede and who's muddying the bloodlines.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-12-08 09:15:49  
Over here the Sweden Democrats are quickly becoming the second or third largest party and they try to mask it but we all know they're racists. They've had to remove a LOT of high ranking members because what they've said has been leaked. They want to almost close off immigration and not help out and are getting a lot of ***for it but that doesn't seem to stop their growth.

Do you even realize than in about 15 years sweeds will be a minority in their own country?
[+]
 Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2015-12-08 09:17:56  
Loool
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-12-08 09:23:16  

Do you even realize than in about 15 years sweeds will be a minority in their own country?

You must be scared shitless of all the dark-complected people in the U.S. then.
[+]
 Cerberus.Tidis
MSPaint Winner
サーバ: Cerberus
user: tidis
By Cerberus.Tidis 2015-12-08 09:25:01  
Next they'll make all non-Swedes wear a star or something.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-12-08 09:29:49  

More strawmen from the strawman king.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
サーバ: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-12-08 09:29:54  
So, this thread has all the makings of a liberal lovefest:

1) Namecalling
2) Racial profiling
3) Accusing anyone who's not in line with them to be a racist
4) Accusing the right of being xenophobes (even though they support globalization, obviously a xenophobic trait)
5) Unsubstantiated accusations
6) And of course, more accusations of racism against the right.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-12-08 09:32:03  
Asura.Kingnobody said: »
So, this thread has all the makings of a liberal lovefest:

1) Namecalling
2) Racial profiling
3) Accusing anyone who's not in line with them to be a racist
4) Accusing the right of being xenophobes (even though they support globalization, obviously a xenophobic trait)
5) Unsubstantiated accusations

It's all they have. They cannot win on ideas, they can only call you a hater.
[+]
 Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2015-12-08 09:34:19  

I feel like this is directed towards me but there is plenty of proof, these idiots even filmed themselves saying it.
[+]
 Shiva.Viciousss
サーバ: Shiva
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2015-12-08 09:34:19  
It's all they have. They cannot win on ideas, they can only call you a hater.

Coming from you nausi, and throw in altima and aman, this is precious.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-12-08 09:35:04  
Valefor.Sehachan said: »
"The European Union is in danger. No one can say whether the EU will still exist in this form in 10 years," Schulz said in an interview with German newspaper Die Welt.
Wait, I thought progression is supposed to be a good thing?

I guess it's only a good thing if it's progression in the direction you like. If people want it changed to a different direction, it's a horrible thing and should be stopped, right?
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-12-08 09:35:42  

I feel like this is directed towards me but there is plenty of proof, these idiots even filmed themselves saying it.
No, it was from this quote:

[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-12-08 09:38:02  

I really wish you knew what that word meant.

You made a wild accusation about Sweden being overrun by non-Swedes, implying that immigrants are a bad thing.

I made a direct comparison to you being afraid of the same thing happening in the U.S.

That. is not. a straw man.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-12-08 09:39:09  

I really wish you knew what that word meant.

You made a wild accusation about Sweden being overrun by non-Swedes, implying that immigrants are a bad thing.

I made a direct comparison to you being afraid of the same thing happening in the U.S.

That. is not. a straw man.
Did you infer that all dark-complected people are immigrants?
[+]
First Page 2 ... 16 17 18