言語: JP EN DE FR
2010-06-21
New Items
users online
フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Dragoon » Thoughts on DRG
Thoughts on DRG
First Page 2
By nagokasylph 2015-08-31 11:11:27  
As I sit here in the nest soloing my Dragoon I realize two things: First playing Dragoon is a bit like tactical Super Mario. Second, how the hell could it have been LOLDRG for years after the penta nerf when DRG is the only playable way to JUMP in FFXI? Happy Wyrm Hunting!

Undelete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
By bradinthebox 2015-08-31 11:51:17  
Asura.Floppyseconds said: »
I am not sure what Mario has anything to do with killing things on DRG

DRG rules. I eagerly await more buffs as the average yokel forgets the job exists.
 Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
Game: FFXI
user: Starkzz
By Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai 2015-08-31 12:07:04  
drg was never loldrg bro

ItemSet 337511

Post deleted by User.
 Cerberus.Sephrin
サーバ: Cerberus
user: xSephrinx
By Cerberus.Sephrin 2015-08-31 12:24:29  
Personally I love DRG. So much fun killing things. Unfortunately, it's all about the BST right now.

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Cerberus.Sephrin
サーバ: Cerberus
user: xSephrinx
By Cerberus.Sephrin 2015-08-31 12:31:11  
Cerberus.Sephrin said: »
Personally I love DRG. So much fun killing things. Unfortunately, it's all about the BST right now.

People think it is about BST, but BST is just as useless as it always was. Except now it is amazing for an easy baseline for gimp players to go DD something with little to no repercussions since you don't have to cure or raise the pet. AoEs no longer become a real problem and you don't have to worry about players having those pesky pieces of gear they should or having to be busy taking care of them.

It allows for players to formulate little to no real strategy and go win something because it is too much effort to bother doing it any other way or getting the jobs you need.

I completely agree. I did a few Sinister Reign battles with a BST party setup. I was on GEO. I swear I died of boredom. No strategy whatsoever. Boring to the max.
[+]
 Asura.Reichleiu
サーバ: Asura
user: Reichleiu
By Asura.Reichleiu 2015-08-31 13:00:17  
This is a very odd post

DRG is one of those jobs that you either love or your completely hate. In my experience, most of us are stoners / not the most well adjusted people.

That being said.. many of us Main DRGs have been around long enough to see the normal ebb and flow of our favorite job's power. There was a time when DRG didn't do anything but sit outside of the party and throw Angon at the HNM when it was off cooldown. There has also been times where DRG was the single most powerful DD for specific content do to nerfs/buffs/content that was added. The main issue is that DRG suffers from being extremely gear dependent because of its lack of self-buffing JAs and DD traits.

(Real DRGs remember Gae Bolg and Scorpion Harness +1)

I've been a DRG main since I started playing in 2003.. it's taken a lot of work and patience to keep it playable and I've had to play WHM, THF, COR, and WAR at different times as well. (WHM was my first lvl 75 job because no one wanted DRG)

Dragoon is in a really great spot currently and has been for a little over a year now. If you are geared well and take the time to study your job you can push out DPS that is on par or better than just about anyone.
 Ragnarok.Martel
サーバ: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Martel 2015-08-31 13:12:34  
DRG was doing well when I last played...

But I still want a Drakesbane fix/buff. I miss the really awesome synergy Ryunohige+Drakes had. -.-; Watching the massive WS overhauls go by with no changes to drakes at all... /rageflail.

and /rantoff.

Asura.Reichleiu said: »
DRG is one of those jobs that you either love or your completely hate.
For some reason this made me think: "Kinda like Vagrant Story?"
[+]

Post deleted by User.
 Lakshmi.Rooks
Administrator
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: Rooks
By Lakshmi.Rooks 2015-08-31 13:14:52  
Ragnarok.Martel said: »
But I still want a Drakesbane fix/buff. I miss the really awesome synergy Ryunohige+Drakes had. -.-; Watching the massive WS overhauls go by with no changes to drakes at all... /rageflail.

I'd love to see the November update fix mythics to sit back on/near the top. I don't even have one, they just feel like they should be the pinnacle of a job's weaponry.
 Ragnarok.Martel
サーバ: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Martel 2015-08-31 13:17:58  
Lakshmi.Rooks said: »

I'd love to see the November update fix mythics to sit back on/near the top. I don't even have one, they just feel like they should be the pinnacle of a job's weaponry.
While I haven't evaluated new polearms in the last update or two, I was under the impression that Ryu was still on top. It's just that stardiver overtook Ryu Drakesbanes after the WS update.

That being said; Yes, by all means, Buff mythics. XD
[+]
 Siren.Kyte
サーバ: Siren
By Siren.Kyte 2015-08-31 13:19:58  

With very few exceptions, they already are...?
 Asura.Reichleiu
By Asura.Reichleiu 2015-08-31 13:28:21  

While I haven't evaluated new polearms in the last update or two, I was under the impression that Ryu was still on top. It's just that stardiver overtook Ryu Drakesbanes after the WS update.

That being said; Yes, by all means, Buff mythics. XD

To be fair, I haven't played for like 8 months, but DRG was in a good spot prior to that and I don't think that has really changed.

But they really missed the mark when they didn't update Drakesbane during the round of WS buffs. That would have caused DRG to consistently be considered a top DD pretty easily. It hurt even more because they buffed the hell out of Fudo at the time and why bring a DRG who has to work hard to do damage when you could just bring a Tsurumaru SAM that could spam Fudo?

The buff to our Attack while wyverns were out was pretty sizable though, I was pretty happy about that.
 Sylph.Safiyyah
サーバ: Sylph
user: Safiyyah
By Sylph.Safiyyah 2015-08-31 13:54:54  
With a Ryunohige DRG should be capable of pretty good dps. The job has gotten good buffs and gear upgrades in the last year. Dragoon's problem now is how it fits into the current metagame, I guess? Melee strats are "meh" right now.

Cerberus.Sephrin said: »

People think it is about BST, but BST is just as useless as it always was.

This is totally wrong. BST dominates XI now. And it's because of pugs and bads. You take the risk factor out of content using BST setups and it bypasses a lot of the lousy support that you get in pugs.
 Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
user: Starkzz
By Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai 2015-08-31 16:16:03  
There was a time when DRG didn't do anything but sit outside of the party and throw Angon at the HNM

What HNM are we talking about? Because I never saw this, like, never.

It had decent use for things like Kirin, Einherjar, Vrtra, Dynamis Lord, Sarameya, and KV. You weren't just sitting there using Angon and waiting on cooldown, though.

Not saying DRG was useless at endgame save those instances, but there were jobs that performed better.
By Draylo 2015-08-31 16:17:35  
Fondest memory of DRG was in Abyssea JA0 and Super Jump on a chest and you were flying!
[+]

Post deleted by User.
 Sylph.Jeanpaul
MSPaint Champion
user: JeanPaul
By Sylph.Jeanpaul 2015-08-31 17:02:32  
Any job can do incredible things if you cater to what they need, whether they're melees, pet jobs, or mages. It's easy to look at someone's posts and screenshots and think "Wow, look at all that damage! Maybe I should play that job instead!", but it's really the result of a strategy, rather than a specific job (except GEO, all hail GEO).

Been doing a lot of Sinister Reign, and with different setups. Regardless of my strategy, depending on how coordinated/lucky we are, runs range from 5-10 minutes. This has included mage strategies that involve Gambit + Malaise + -storm II spells for 99999 bursts, as well as me on RUN and my brother on DRG and we're constantly dishing out double Lights. I know people are big into looking at an individual's damage, but it's always been a matter of actually working as a team that gets the best results.
[+]
 Odin.Orome
サーバ: Odin
user: orome
By Odin.Orome 2015-08-31 17:08:15  
This last post is just great. Why aren't you on Odin?
 Sylph.Jeanpaul
MSPaint Champion
user: JeanPaul
By Sylph.Jeanpaul 2015-08-31 17:10:20  
I get that a lot.
 Asura.Reichleiu
By Asura.Reichleiu 2015-09-01 12:09:19  
Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai said: »
There was a time when DRG didn't do anything but sit outside of the party and throw Angon at the HNM

What HNM are we talking about? Because I never saw this, like, never.

It had decent use for things like Kirin, Einherjar, Vrtra, Dynamis Lord, Sarameya, and KV. You weren't just sitting there using Angon and waiting on cooldown, though.

Not saying DRG was useless at endgame save those instances, but there were jobs that performed better.

Ken, I'm talking back in the day of Alliance fights where your whole LS would be there so not everyone would be in the alliance full time. 25 people in a LS.. only 18 in the alliance. The MNKs and DRGs typically sat out and just came in to blast the enemy with Chi-blast or throw angon at it and then would sit out again.

That was their main use.

This was back when no one really used any melee outside of zergs. It was mostly PLD, THF, a couple SAM or WAR, and then a ton of RDM, SMN, and BLMs.

to be fair, I used to sit out of the alliance as WHM sometimes too, but for different reasons.
 Fenrir.Richybear
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Richybear
By Fenrir.Richybear 2015-09-01 12:39:02  
Obligatory:
http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/forum.html?forum=261&mid=1154383045272627858
[+]
 Asura.Reichleiu
By Asura.Reichleiu 2015-09-01 12:46:56  

I feel less intelligent having read this...

It feels nice!
[+]
 Asura.Highwynn
user: Highwynd
By Asura.Highwynn 2015-09-04 09:24:07  
The grammar of this thread's title...ughhhh
[+]
 Lakshmi.Rooks
Administrator
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: Rooks
By Lakshmi.Rooks 2015-09-04 09:57:52  
Asura.Highwynn said: »
The grammar of this thread's title...ughhhh

Fixed.
By Creecreelo 2015-09-04 10:22:48  
Sylph.Jeanpaul said: »
"Wow, look at all that damage! Maybe I should play that job instead!", but it's really the result of a strategy, rather than a specific job (except GEO, all hail GEO).

I firmly believe that as long as you have a Geo or two, every job can be exceptional and viable in content. Debuffs like Vex, Languor, Malaise, and Frailty are just so powerful. It's nice but also kind of unfortunate because strats often have to revolve around having a Geo.
By Bamboom 2015-09-09 13:00:35  
What do you guys think they are going to do with spirit link/wyvern breaths? It would be amazing if they made spirit link return full wyvern tp or if they made breaths not consume wyvern tp so that that tp is available during spirit link. That would make am3 maintenance incredibly easy and hopefully push drg up a level, but knowing SE they are probably going to add breath accuracy an lower the spirit link he cost :(.
 Asura.Reichleiu
By Asura.Reichleiu 2015-09-09 15:19:23  
Bamboom said: »
What do you guys think they are going to do with spirit link/wyvern breaths? It would be amazing if they made spirit link return full wyvern tp or if they made breaths not consume wyvern tp so that that tp is available during spirit link. That would make am3 maintenance incredibly easy and hopefully push drg up a level, but knowing SE they are probably going to add breath accuracy an lower the spirit link he cost :(.

Maintaining AM3 is already stupid easy.. if they are adjusting breaths it needs to be for the purpose of making my pet do more damage. Nothing worse than having a pet hit a monster for 300+ with normal attacks, but only do 150 damage with it's breath. (just using these numbers as an example)

Wyvern Breaths actually lower your pets DPS in some situations.
First Page 2