users online
フォーラム » FFXIV » Classes » Thaumaturge » BLM Spell Rotation
BLM Spell Rotation
サーバ: Balmung
Game: FFXIV
user: Endtanis
By Endtanis Cathasaigh 2013-10-09 07:45:20  
Hi all,

I'm looking to improve/build upon my BLM spell rotation/DPS, specifically on bosses such as Titan, and I'm curious as to how everyone does their rotations.

I'm currently doing as follows:

----------------------
***If Convert is up***
Fire III > Fire, Fire III from Firestarter proc (until low MP) > Flare > Convert > Fire > Blizzard III

***If Convert is not up***
Fire III > Fire, Fire III from Firestarter proc (until low MP) > Blizzard III
----------------------

After I cast Blizzard III, while my MP is refreshing, I try not to waste any downtime and usually throw out Thunder III, Virus, or Scathe (not all 3 at once).

Any suggestions, or if anyone can see anything wrong with my current rotation, I'm open for suggestions!

Thanks,
サーバ: Leviathan
By Tragedy Seraph 2013-10-09 10:40:29  
I do pretty much the same thing... it's a good idea to note about Raging Strikes (although with the recast that's something that you just use when it's ready, not really part of a rotation... I try to use it after the first Fire III at the start of fire phase).

Another tip... usually if I have Firestarter proc up going into Blizzard III (i.e., already casting blizz when fs procs), I'll typically either Thunder III or scathe once or twice (if highly mobile)... the moment I'm at max mp I'll Transpose (since it's not on global cooldown) and then fire off the Fire III proc... ends up being a few hundred damage more than going back with ice up.
[+]
 Bahamut.Bojack
サーバ: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: Bojack316
By Bahamut.Bojack 2013-10-09 14:15:07  
I've seen people suggest starting the Fire rotation with Blizzard III > Thunder III instead of just beginning with Fire III. Umbral Ice III will probably fill your MP back up after Thunder III and it will make Fire III cast faster.
[+]
サーバ: Sargatanas
user: Ravant
By Ravant Lehnsherr 2013-10-09 18:04:20  
Currently for longer fights.

Thunder 3 > Fire 3 > Fire [repeat]( Free Fire 3 when able) > Bliz 3 > Thunder 3 (Full MP from previous Bliz3) > Fire 3 > Fire (repeat)

If I end a fight on a fire cast I switch to ice to recover MP while moving.

For trash mobs

Fire 3 > Fire [repeat]( Free Fire 3 when able) > Bliz 3 > Scathe (Full MP from previous Bliz3) > Fire 3 > Fire (repeat)
[+]
By Zenaku14 2013-10-11 15:34:18  
Ravant Lehnsherr said: »

Thunder 3 > Fire 3 > Fire [repeat]( Free Fire 3 when able) > Bliz 3 > Thunder 3 (Full MP from previous Bliz3) > Fire 3 > Fire (repeat)

For trash mobs

Fire 3 > Fire [repeat]( Free Fire 3 when able) > Bliz 3 > Scathe (Full MP from previous Bliz3) > Fire 3 > Fire (repeat)

Flare is a big nuke and should be used not sure why every blm end up never end up using it. it does anywhere from 1.3k or critical hit for 1.8-2.3k if you have good gear and seeing how critical is one of BLM main stats to get you should do lot of dmg with Flare. I end up only using it when convert is up so i can get MP back to do bliz3 but you can also do Transpose once you do your flare then do bliz3.

Thunder 3 >(Thunder 3 every time it light up) Fire 3 > Fire [repeat]( Free Fire 3 when able) > Raging Strikes ---> Flare--->Convert--->Bliz 3 > Thunder 3(Thunder 3 every time it light up) --->Fire 3 > Fire (repeat)

Scathe when running from ground attacks
Quelling Strikes When you know you going to do big nukes and you know you going to pull hate. help in coil turn 4.
Virus if you doing mobs that hit hard this would help a little. Help in coil in every turn.
[+]
By Ravant Lehnsherr 2013-10-11 17:36:51  
Zenaku14 said: »

For trash mobs

Flare is a big nuke and should be used not sure why every blm end up never end up using it. it does anywhere from 1.3k or critical hit for 1.8-2.3k if you have good gear and seeing how critical is one of BLM main stats to get you should do lot of dmg with Flare. I end up only using it when convert is up so i can get MP back to do bliz3 but you can also do Transpose once you do your flare then do bliz3.

Thunder 3 >(Thunder 3 every time it light up) Fire 3 > Fire [repeat]( Free Fire 3 when able) > Raging Strikes ---> Flare--->Convert--->Bliz 3 > Thunder 3(Thunder 3 every time it light up) --->Fire 3 > Fire (repeat)

Scathe when running from ground attacks
Quelling Strikes When you know you going to do big nukes and you know you going to pull hate. help in coil turn 4.
Virus if you doing mobs that hit hard this would help a little. Help in coil in every turn.

I'll give this a shot. Thanks
[+]
By Endtanis 2013-10-11 19:54:58  
Great tips and suggestions, all. Thanks!
By Zenaku14 2013-10-11 21:42:30  
I'll give this a shot. Thanks

The more crit you have the more flare would do. So your overall dps would be great.
 Cerberus.Sey
サーバ: Cerberus
user: Sey
By Cerberus.Sey 2013-10-22 15:59:35  
I'm only lv 8 so I'll probably understand as I level up but since fire and ice have the same potency, why bother casting fire anyway?
I also notice a blm at Ifrit HM was casting fire on him. I'm guessing this game doesn't follow the elemental wheel/weakness as Final Fantasy is known for. (Which would probably mess up blizzard too :-/)
By Ravant Lehnsherr 2013-10-22 19:42:11  
Fire is the stronger of the 2 spells but costs more MP and MP refills slower. Ice is weaker but MP recovers at like double the rate or something. Also no the game doesn't really follow the same weakness/resist like other FF. Not that ive seen at least.
By Zenaku14 2013-10-23 04:37:52  
Fire is the stronger of the 2 spells but costs more MP and MP refills slower. Ice is weaker but MP recovers at like double the rate or something. Also no the game doesn't really follow the same weakness/resist like other FF. Not that ive seen at least.

Na they took that out long time ago i'm pretty sad there no real weakness/resist on mob. Us players do but still not as big as it was back then or ff11.

They took it out becuase they think players are dumb and can't learn and it just more casual that way. Like how they took out Ga spell and RA spell and so on. Like how Fire II is really firega and as you level it update from Firega I to Firega II and so on but still display as Fire II. Overall they did all so players who play wow type games understand how to play.
[+]
サーバ: Excalibur
user: Creaucent
By Creaucent Alazrin 2013-10-23 04:48:53  
That and the fact that blm can only use 3 elements so if you get content thats resistant to fire no one will bring blms to that content. Would have been fine if they got all elements they could make elemental weaknesses and resistances but they dont.
 Bahamut.Mizuharu
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Mizuharu
By Bahamut.Mizuharu 2013-10-23 12:06:59  
Zenaku14 said: »

Na they took that out long time ago i'm pretty sad there no real weakness/resist on mob. Us players do but still not as big as it was back then or ff11.

They took it out becuase they think players are dumb and can't learn and it just more casual that way. Like how they took out Ga spell and RA spell and so on. Like how Fire II is really firega and as you level it update from Firega I to Firega II and so on but still display as Fire II. Overall they did all so players who play wow type games understand how to play.

Yeah, the main reason they took out elemental resists from mobs was so certain jobs weren't excluded from content. BLM's main damage spell is Fire. If they had it so Ifrit was cured by fire only, then a BLM would be forced to spam Blizzard III. Which is like 500 damage compared to the 700 Fire Is and 1000~1500 Fire IIIs I get. :x 2k if I have a brd doing Req lol