フォーラム » FFXI » Endgame » Dynamis » solo - pld blu or bst
solo - pld blu or bst
First Page 2 3
 Quetzalcoatl.Taerra
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
Game: FFXI
user: Taerra
By Quetzalcoatl.Taerra 2013-07-16 12:51:23  
I'd just like a few opinions on the matter. I recently taken up soloing dynamis because I want to complement my pld's almace with an aegis for starters and have been wondering the best way to do this.

I've ran a few times as BST without a hitch, getting decent amounts of currencies, nothing tremendous.

I just recently finished my almace 85 and was wondering which job I should bring to dynamis.

Some say BST is supreme in solo, I saw good posts for pld and blu too.

Here are the features of my usable jobs:

BST ( 4/5 af3 +2 (+1 chest) 2x pdt axe, pdt helm, couple pieces of karieyh gear and others for tp and ruinator build, reward set but missing af2 feet )

PLD almace - butznar shield, decent pdt set, 5/5 af3 +2, decent WS set, TP set is a little lackluster, used to NMs in Aby so I usually relied on PDT set)

RDM ( 5/5 af3 +2 ... why would I solo as rdm ? )

BLU (almace - 5/5 af3 +2 with decent gear, although both my TP and WS sets needs some love, have been busy on PLD and BST lately )

THF (basic run to the mill thief, 5/5 af3 +2 twilight/oynos combo, Twilight belt, atheling mantle, eva/parry/shield merits, nothing fancy )

Not sure if I should go for standard survival (BST / PLD ) or straight up DPS ( BLU ), or rely on heavier TH (THF). BLU and BST might have my favor, considering you can get some manner of TH, but my PLD is by far the sturdiest of my jobs.

I normally go into valkurm, get TEs as BST, then wreck the JA mobs, rinse and repeat. I know gear plays an obvious role in kill speed and overall currency, but would another job combo do a better job ?

Basically it boils down to this --- I'm ITCHING to use my almace when im on BST lol ... but that doesn't mean its the smartest decision.

Inputs ?
By kenshynofshiva 2013-07-16 12:59:04  
Easy mode bst/dnc use faithful Falcoor / dipper yuly then blu/dnc in cop area fast kills rack up coins get th slash and set treasure hunter on blu. Those two make dynamis farming extremely easy and fast in my book.

Blu even with just a 85 Almace against dc and below destroys mobs set dream flower and yawn for crowd control it really is pretty easy. Just conserve mp maybe heavy strike and self skillchain after proccing and most mobs vaporize.
 Quetzalcoatl.Taerra
By Quetzalcoatl.Taerra 2013-07-16 13:02:47  
I farm in valkurm atm, did not try other zones. So you would recommend BLU instead of BST for the sheer sake of kill speed VS BST ?
By kenshynofshiva 2013-07-16 13:05:18  
Depends after the change to pet level with main hand weapon I am hearing reviews that bst is pretty unstoppable even cheap fore front axe makes a pet level 106 and a delve 113 and can get axes that make pets level higher. Can't go wrong with either in my book. Before that change I say Blu now Bst with new axes and ruinator is pretty beastly lol.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
サーバ: Odin
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2013-07-16 13:10:41  
Keep in mind the difference in damage between Ruinator with Delve+ Axes and CDC with an 85 Almace. BLU WRECKS fodder and is by a decent margin the most productive Dynamis job. But your BLU has to be pretty top notch and you have to hit it hard, BST is a safe bet and much easier to do TE's.
 Bismarck.Samusaki
サーバ: Bismarck
user: Samusaki
By Bismarck.Samusaki 2013-07-16 13:21:37  
When building my Excalibur I had only pld and thf to choose from. Pld had Almace, Ochain, Aegis and twilight set. Thf had Thokcha, thf 7 and Toci's set. After getting low amount of coins and the occasional death from the 20 TE, I said screw it and unlocked bst. Burned it in a few days. I already had axe capped and the axe ws capped because of war and I had a lot of cross over gear. I had twilight set, some dyna bst hands and feet that fell to me sometime within the 7 years of playing. Glad I never /toss them, I +2 them and dug out some old kitty pants that I augmented with haste. Next I needed some axes. Spent a couple days making the -pdt to pet axe. Then joined a Morta shout and snagged the nq axe off it. Now I was ready. Just with the mash up of gear and not really focusing on any "bst" sets, I would triple my yield, finishing off Excalibur within 3 months of farming.

So in the end, bst is the way to go. Valkurm is the best zone.
 Quetzalcoatl.Taerra
By Quetzalcoatl.Taerra 2013-07-16 13:48:20  
I was not aware of the main hand weapon affecting pet level ? I only have 15k plasm atm but for sure will be getting the ax first if the margin is so high.

In the meantime, I guess I can try blu for sh*ts and giggles until I get my hands on a delve axe.

When was that change implemented ? I'm surprised I missed that given the fact that I'm so often on BST.

I found THIS for the main hand level, seems that it has not been fined tuned yet.
By kenshynofshiva 2013-07-16 16:16:41  
Quetzalcoatl.Taerra said: »
I was not aware of the main hand weapon affecting pet level ? I only have 15k plasm atm but for sure will be getting the ax first if the margin is so high.

In the meantime, I guess I can try blu for sh*ts and giggles until I get my hands on a delve axe.

When was that change implemented ? I'm surprised I missed that given the fact that I'm so often on BST.

I found THIS for the main hand level, seems that it has not been fined tuned yet.

This just changed with the last patch turning beast up a notch for sure. Blu/dnc rocks for sure you do have to watch mp or pull mp statues lol and mobs/beastmen can have mp as well. 5/5 beast affinity and augmented relic gloves +2 a must...

Quote:
Beastmaster
New pets that can be summoned via the Call Beast job ability have been added. (Rabbit, Chapuli, Dark Shelled Crab)
Reference attributes when calling pets over level 99 have been changed.
If at or below level 99: PC’s Level + the pet’s maximum level
If over level 99: Main weapon item level + the pet’s maximum level
The internal level will still be level 99, but the pet's stats will be raised.
If the main weapon is switched out when a pet is active, the increased stats will change based on the new main weapon.
The effects of the “Beast Affinity” job trait earned through merit points will now apply even above level 99. The following pets have the possibility of being greater than level 99.
Slippery Silas / Turbid Toloi / Crafty Clyvonne / Dipper Yuly / Flowerpot Merle / Luckly Lulush / Nursery Nazuna / Dapper Mac / Discreet Louise / Fatso Fargann / Presto Julio / Malibuster Cetas / Audacious Anna / Swift Sieghard / Faithful Falcorr / Bloodclaw Shasra / Bugeyed Broncha / Gorefang Hobs / Gooey Gerard / Crude Raphie
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2013-07-16 16:21:33  
Bismarck.Samusaki said: »
When building my Excalibur I had only pld and thf to choose from. Pld had Almace, Ochain, Aegis and twilight set. Thf had Thokcha, thf 7 and Toci's set. After getting low amount of coins and the occasional death from the 20 TE, I said screw it and unlocked bst. Burned it in a few days. I already had axe capped and the axe ws capped because of war and I had a lot of cross over gear. I had twilight set, some dyna bst hands and feet that fell to me sometime within the 7 years of playing. Glad I never /toss them, I +2 them and dug out some old kitty pants that I augmented with haste. Next I needed some axes. Spent a couple days making the -pdt to pet axe. Then joined a Morta shout and snagged the nq axe off it. Now I was ready. Just with the mash up of gear and not really focusing on any "bst" sets, I would triple my yield, finishing off Excalibur within 3 months of farming. So in the end, bst is the way to go. Valkurm is the best zone.

I'm assuming brain fart.
 Quetzalcoatl.Taerra
By Quetzalcoatl.Taerra 2013-07-17 06:38:56  
lol so last night I went into dyna - valk as BLU for fun, just to see how it would fare knowing full well that's it's gear is nowhere near optimal.

Suffice to say I scored less than half my normal currency levels I normally do on BST.

BST ftw ... with the ongoing login campaign, I'm getting myself monster boots and monsters gloves ASAP, hopefully a delve ax soon too.

BLU works very very well in dyna, I prefer the BLU dynamics to BST ( good eva against EP, lotsa haste, heal / sleep etc ) but the kill speed is not up to par with BST.

Perhaps with top notch gear and an upgraded almace/halachuinic sword it might stand a chance, but as things stands, BST > BLU, at least for me.
 Cerberus.Kvazz
サーバ: Cerberus
user: kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2013-07-17 07:25:43  
How much did you get on BLU? and how much do you usually get on BST?
Less than half sounds... wrong >_>
Should be about the same.
By kenshynofshiva 2013-07-17 07:36:27  
Yeah something is really wrong with your setup on blu/dnc if your getting half and I really mean really really really wrong. The kill speed on blu in dynamis is crazy fast... with just a 85 almace and a fire Shikargar dynamis mobs should melt.

Your not trying to magic proc are u??????? It's all JA from dnc sub after killing the 5 time extensions with TH set.

Please check the recommended dynamis spell set and gearing in the http://www.ffxiah.com/forum/topic/30626/the-beast-within-a-guide-to-blue-mage/
 Cerberus.Kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2013-07-17 07:37:19  
Should show us your gearsets so we can see what's wrong, also which spells you're using
 Shiva.Tedril
サーバ: Shiva
user: Tedril
By Shiva.Tedril 2013-07-17 07:48:58  
If I were you I would finish gearing thf then go with that to dynamis the currency increase will be worth it. However most mid level thfs lack survivability in a situation where they get aggro/pull to many/mpk(lol)/or whatever else may happen. Also being able to survive means less waltz meaning more tp more ws and faster kills making for more currency. Personally I used my delve monk when I went with my friend as thf.
By kenshynofshiva 2013-07-17 07:56:52  
Thf duo perfect solo not so much way easier on blu with Th set and th slash you won't miss a beat..... Dynamis farming on multiple classes for quite some time and comparing the outputs of each class if your gonna level a class for it dnc/thf done right easily can rock it as well. And puppet master just cheats and is that good for WS procs you normally farm san competition.
 Quetzalcoatl.Taerra
By Quetzalcoatl.Taerra 2013-07-17 08:03:58  
BLU tp set sorry couldnt figure out how to post the actual little box with the set like others do.

Like I said nothing fancy ( yes I know the mavi boots are a big nono but I can't resolve myself to aurore, and the AH has been dry this past little while), It collected some dust, I tend to be on BST and PLD more often these past months.

I got 90 currencies last night as blu, whereas I had gotten 230 as bst in 1 + 1/4 run+ a lucky 100cc from the tree NM as BST( passed out drunk lol, that explains the 1/4 )

Nope, I would blu/dnc JA proc, relying on heavy strike/sword self-sc to kill (MP was a problem even with battery charge). 2-3 spells and they would be almost dead, but I was playing conservative due to lack of MP. took roughly 30 mins to locate TEs.

swapping in various gear pieces to add STR/DEX depending on spells.

As for spells, I'm at work atm so I'll try to more or less recall.

I was using DA/TA spells, TH spells, relying on DNC for DW I swapped in utility spells ( plenilune, occultation, haste, diamonhide, dream flower, sound blast ( extra point left, MAB trait for sanguine blade )). For self sc I was going CDC -> amorphic spikes.

Like I said, MP was a problem, otherwise they would die in a matter of seconds.

I understand that my gear is not optimal, but I was expecting the EPs do die quicker than this. I procced about 95% of all my mobs and died once. All in all, 90 currencies.

I would engage -> JA proc -> then depending on timers, I would either finish it off with a self-sc, or add damage with heavy strike, if TP was up but not CA, I would CDC.
 Cerberus.Kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2013-07-17 08:25:38  
You really need some other hands\feet :P
Also, don't rely as much on spells for killing, your swords should destroy EP mobs really fast.
I never really have MP issues on BLU in dyna unless I've linked a ton and had to spam sleepga\cures.
Delta thrust is more or less the only dmg-spell I use, unless I self-sc (which I only really do if I proc a mob on the first JA), and I occationally efflux heavy strike.
With a proper TP and a proper WS set, you'll just slap through mobs really fast, and delta thrust keeps mobs from using tp-moves most of the time, they sometimes get 1 off at the very end of their short miserable lives.

Edit: I have'nt done dyna with the new weapons yet, this was all with a 85 almace + fire shikagar*
 Carbuncle.Funsam
サーバ: Carbuncle
user: funsam
By Carbuncle.Funsam 2013-07-17 08:34:45  
Pup/thf use to be a beast for farming in dyna & you could do ws camps or gobs & be able to proc & stay away from the main slaughter mobs for ja camps, which were over camped 90% of time(which severely effects total).

Either way for any job but beast you MUST have a TH sash to compare with bst totals, even before the new axe level changes on bst.
 Phoenix.Thorbean
サーバ: Phoenix
user: Thorbean
By Phoenix.Thorbean 2013-07-17 08:40:10  
ItemSet 308223

post the itemset number inside [item set][/item set] tags (without the space between item & set)

Easy upgrade:
ItemSet 308224

Stun lock everything with sudden lunge, apply delta thrust straight away and you should rarely take damage.

You need to be extremely aggressive, as soon as you proc, heavy strike (+Ja's as needed to 1-2 shot it) or skillchain if at full hp.

Set auto refresh and conserve MP if you can, and have serp hands/feet in your idle set. With battery charge, you'll be getting 6/tick while engaged and 7/tick while moving.
That should save you lots of MP on curse (almost never needed). Waltz to heal if you really need it and save fruit when you don't have TP and things went to ***. Don't forget sanguine blade and bloodrake too.

Make sure you have appropriate gear sets for your phys spells too
By kenshynofshiva 2013-07-17 08:42:03  
Yeah mp should be saved for kills or bad pulls the best use of mp is SC with CDC which should kill any dynamis ep mob instantly. Darkness Chant du Cygne -> Amorphic Spikes next mob your feet and hands should be at a min Thurandauts cheap and easy get the head for CDC ws its dex based easy cheap gear to make it hit hard.
 Quetzalcoatl.Taerra
By Quetzalcoatl.Taerra 2013-07-17 08:44:08  
Quote:
I never really have MP issues on BLU in dyna unless I've linked a ton and had to spam sleepga\cures.

How were you proceeding ? I was always low-ish on MP due to spamming animating wail / occultation / battery charge.

I was not using delta, so that's an issue, but even there, even with it's rather low cost, spamming it would drain MP. How were you recovering MP ? I could tear through em easy, but emptying my mp pool at the same time. I was not using auto-refresh though (worth the set point for 1 MP/tick? ) and conserve MP either. ( it makes that much of a difference ?)

As for kill speed, I dunno but just slapping the EP sheeps and such, they seemed to take a while to kill without any spells or WS.

And I agree, I REALLY need hands and feet, nothing good on stock on AH lately, I've been using my bayld to fuel bst/pld. Gonna have to give my blu some love, and soon.

edit : I saw your rancor collar, I have that for WS, I could adjust and wear it fulltime, gonna have to boost tonberry hate to cap though.
By kenshynofshiva 2013-07-17 08:47:59  
Yes any mp recovered moving is pure love every refresh gear piece while idle is always preferred.

Acc and Haste is still > almost all else in the game need that ACC AND haste cap bro at min...25/26% haste in gear...
 Quetzalcoatl.Taerra
By Quetzalcoatl.Taerra 2013-07-17 08:54:23  
Anyways, I think the bottom line is ... BLU was VERY fun to play in dyna with, I still have a lot to do in terms of gear/spell choice/ fine tuning gear etc. which I will work on ( sword wielding jobs are my "mains" after all, along with BST ).

In the mean time, considering my current goal is to get aegis to have a viable delve PLD, BST vastly overpowers my BLU. So until my blu gets stronger, If I want more currency, bst is the way to go, but eventually I'll make it worthwhile.
 Phoenix.Thorbean
サーバ: Phoenix
user: Thorbean
By Phoenix.Thorbean 2013-07-17 08:59:10  
You only need to open with delta thrust, the plague effect will prevent any tp moves for the duration of the fight, and at 6/tick refresh in tp gear, you make that back in ~15 seconds.

Don't use occultation, it's extremely inefficient against EP as 9 hits from fodder at that level can be recovered with 1 magic fruit and you should be stopping the mob from acting completely with sudden lunge. If you pull a lot of mobs and use shadows as a safety net before you sleep, you will get a much better effect using actinic burst (already set with auto refresh trait).

As you improve your gear, you will need to cast offensive spells less and less often too so your mp consumption will go down.
 Quetzalcoatl.Taerra
By Quetzalcoatl.Taerra 2013-07-17 09:06:21  
makes sense, I had a feeling occultation was a waste, its costly and often I would have to reapply it ( as opposed to wearing off due to hits, it would wear off due to timer )

Perhaps I should re-tweak my gear and spell set/strategy, run a few more as BST and BLU and then compare. I don't have any trends yet as I have recently begun farming, I'm baseless.

Thanks much for the inputs, gotta always improve, keep em coming.
By kenshynofshiva 2013-07-17 09:10:31  
Changing your hands and feet will go a very very long way...
 Quetzalcoatl.Taerra
By Quetzalcoatl.Taerra 2013-07-17 09:19:03  
Quote:
Changing your hands and feet will go a very very long way...

yup ! agreed ! as soon as I get enough bayld I'll ditch em'
 Fenrir.Genesi
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Darcc
By Fenrir.Genesi 2013-07-17 09:56:12  
You're really not going to beat BST. An abyssea pearl BST should yield the same as a well geared BLU any day. And a top notch BST will destroy a top notch BLU. Should be looking at 350+ currency on BST with the new updates and delve axe with optimal environment.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2013-07-17 10:08:23  
Quote:
How were you proceeding ? I was always low-ish on MP due to spamming animating wail / occultation / battery charge. I was not using delta, so that's an issue, but even there, even with it's rather low cost, spamming it would drain MP. How were you recovering MP ? I could tear through em easy, but emptying my mp pool at the same time. I was not using auto-refresh though (worth the set point for 1 MP/tick? ) and conserve MP either. ( it makes that much of a difference ?) As for kill speed, I dunno but just slapping the EP sheeps and such, they seemed to take a while to kill without any spells or WS. And I agree, I REALLY need hands and feet, nothing good on stock on AH lately, I've been using my bayld to fuel bst/pld. Gonna have to give my blu some love, and soon. edit : I saw your rancor collar, I have that for WS, I could adjust and wear it fulltime, gonna have to boost tonberry hate to cap though.

A common mistake you see with people playing BLU in general is spamming spells like occultation, quad cont, etc. Especially with Almace, MOST of your damage is going to come from your melee. An Efflux heavy strike is a good way to drop an EP mob because its so low MP and the ACC penalty is less of an issue on them. Otherwise the only things you should be casting often are Animating Wail, Battery Charge, Triumphant Roar (if there's anything alive and unclaimed you should be focussed on killing as quickly as possible after a proc), and if you're lucky enough to be on mobs you can aspir like crabs; MP Drainkiss. Otherwise reserve MP for cures and SCing off your WS.

Even as an Elvaan with HP merits I was able to keep my MP pool ~250-300 while playing very agressively and utilizing a hybrid EVA/Refresh set when I needed it.

Sanguine Blade is also VERY useful when a mob is somewhat close to dead and you have another to claim, finish it with a sanguine blade to refill your HP and save having to stop DPS to cure or burning MP to finish it.
 Ragnarok.Afania
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Afania
By Ragnarok.Afania 2013-07-17 10:10:54  

Not sure if I should go for standard survival (BST / PLD ) or straight up DPS ( BLU ), or rely on heavier TH (THF). BLU and BST might have my favor, considering you can get some manner of TH, but my PLD is by far the sturdiest of my jobs.

I normally go into valkurm, get TEs as BST, then wreck the JA mobs, rinse and repeat. I know gear plays an obvious role in kill speed and overall currency, but would another job combo do a better job ?

Basically it boils down to this --- I'm ITCHING to use my almace when im on BST lol ... but that doesn't mean its the smartest decision.

Inputs ?

BLU is only good if you have TH2, another advantage BLU has is AoE sleep, which makes killing TE easy, since you can sleep 5 mobs and log out, takes 30 sec to deal with agro. But BST finds TE faster unless you have 3rd pt tool.
First Page 2 3