A Potential Use For Rune Fencer?

言語: JP EN DE FR
2010-06-21
New Items
users online
フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Rune Fencer » A potential use for Rune Fencer?
A potential use for Rune Fencer?
 Sylph.Lumei
サーバ: Sylph
Game: FFXI
user: LumineV2
By Sylph.Lumei 2013-05-30 16:39:19  
So Rune Fencer was pitched as a tank. From what I've seen, it unfortunately appears to lack the tools necessary to do so effectively. As such, I've come up with an alternative...

When the majority of damage to the alliance is magical (and especially when it's just one element) use Rune Fencer as a hybrid DD/buffer, akin to Corsair.

Basically, my DD party set up would end up looking like this:
COR BRD RUN RDM BLU BLU

Between Valiance and One for All (each 5 minute recasts,) a Rune Fencer can greatly reduce magic damage taken by their party for a total of 3 minutes and 30 seconds. That leaves a 1 minute, 30 second gap in which magic damage isn't being reduced. At that time, it would fall on the Blue Mages to have Diffusion 5/5, augmented Mirage Charuqs +2, and Saline Coat; with those, they could alternate covering that gap.

My setup uses Blue Mages because, from what I've seen, Blue Mage seems to excel in most Delve fights, not to mention they can even further reduce incoming damage with Diamondhide! However, if two Blue Mages each with Diffusion 5/5 and augmented Mirage Charuqs +2 aren't available, you could, of course, just use another RUN and some other DD.
So instead it would look like this:
COR BRD RUN RUN RDM DD

Furthermore, because incoming damage to the DD parties would be so low and also because you would want all party members in range of the Rune Fencer's abilities anyway, I would actually encourage the Corsair, Bard, and Red Mage to join in meleeing, which could make up somewhat for light damage. Although, if the Bards are swapping parties to use more buffs (and they really should!) it might be safer if they didn't if only to ensure they don't accidentally drop from the party with claim on the NM!

Admittedly, although incoming magic damage would be very low with DD parties like this, outgoing damage would also likely be low unless your Rune Fencers and Blue Mages/DDs are extremely well geared. However, there is little to no chance of getting KO'd with such a safe setup, and so if you are able to deal enough damage, I think this would be very reliable.

What do you all think?
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
サーバ: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2013-05-30 16:41:44  
Run works on delve nms, but the fact that it works doesn't mean it's worth it.

Sylph.Lumei said: »
Basically, my DD party set up would end up looking like this:
COR BRD RUN RDM BLU BLU
That's not a dd party.
[+]
 Odin.Creaucent
サーバ: Odin
user: Creaucent
By Odin.Creaucent 2013-05-30 16:57:11  

You have no chance of defeating the Mega boss within the time limit with that set up so why should you be worried about dieing? at least you would be kicked out quicker. I agree with Seha that PT set up doesnt look at all like a DD PT.
 Carbuncle.Drygell
サーバ: Carbuncle
user: valkhyr
By Carbuncle.Drygell 2013-05-30 17:55:00  
you do realise that no blu ever is going to do diffusion 5/5 ......just saying.
[+]
 Asura.Ivykyori
サーバ: Asura
user: ivykyori
By Asura.Ivykyori 2013-05-30 18:01:31  
Carbuncle.Drygell said: »

I was just gonna say that; I looked at what the skill does, and also at the guide and I can see why 1/5 is enough. Anymore and it seems like a waste of merit points.

Quote:
COR BRD RUN RDM BLU BLU

Sounds like a *** child mage party. This isn't to say that it won't work, but will it be effective? I'd like to see RUN have a use, and pretty sure there is a use for em, but...bleh, the job seems incomplete to me still.
 Asura.Calatilla
サーバ: Asura
user: Calatilla
By Asura.Calatilla 2013-05-30 18:04:37  
The job is incomplete, it has no AF or relic yet, and only has 1 unique spell. Whether or not it makes it as a tank job as SE envision remains to be seen though.
 Sylph.Lumei
サーバ: Sylph
user: LumineV2
By Sylph.Lumei 2013-05-31 01:46:56  
Odin.Creaucent said: »

You have no chance of defeating the Mega boss within the time limit with that set up so why should you be worried about dieing? at least you would be kicked out quicker. I agree with Seha that PT set up doesnt look at all like a DD PT.

Perhaps I should have specified that, when I came up with this idea, I was not at all planning for it to be used on delve megabosses. Clearly it's far too light on damage to get there.

Instead, this set up could be used for groups that are still learning the NMs to safely accustom themselves with the mechanics. It shouldn't be SO light on damage that you couldn't kill an NM in 20 minutes.

Furthermore, it was mostly me grasping at straws trying to find a use for Rune Fencer. I'm glad to see people acknowledge that it would at least work, even though it's far from the most effective setup.

The 5/5 diffusion thing is just me being clueless about BLU, though. Oops.
 Lakshmi.Saevel
サーバ: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Saevel 2013-06-05 18:14:35  
Carbuncle.Drygell said: »

*Cough*

These Exist

+45% duration on something like Harden Shell / Triumphant Roar is nothing to sneeze at.

vs

Enchainment

For +40 TP during CA.

Not that much of a choice between the two, both are kinda ~bleh~, though Enchainment might become more useful after SE updates how Blue physical spells are calculated. Diffusion does have utility value and shouldn't ever be dismissed out of hand. 130s of +100% defense vs 94s (90s base) or 87s of +15% attack vs 63 (60s base) can be pretty useful.

And one of the better ones.

http://wiki.bluegartr.com/bg/Barrier_Tusk

87s of -15% DT (outside normal DT) vs 63s.

Their all short but solid contributions to a boss fight.
 Shiva.Siviard
サーバ: Shiva
user: Siviard
By Shiva.Siviard 2013-06-05 18:33:43  
I hate to sound harsh, but I see virtually no use for RUN whatsoever except for it as a "fun job" for those who want to do old content.

RUN was poorly designed, IMO. GEO has the most potential of the two new jobs.
 Carbuncle.Luthian
サーバ: Carbuncle
By Carbuncle.Luthian 2013-06-05 18:38:20  
I tried to use /run in Delve while tanking on PLD to reduce the amount of damage taken from Aero spells. It sucks as a sub job too.
 Bismarck.Strange
サーバ: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Strange 2013-06-05 18:43:07  
so RUN is a poorly made job? there goes the one reason I was thinking of coming back to ffxi.
 Cerberus.Diabolique
サーバ: Cerberus
user: Uchitoru
By Cerberus.Diabolique 2013-06-05 19:00:43  
It's still a fun job, but yes it was pretty poorly thought out. I never really touch it now since there's no one place where Run would be my best job choice.
Carbuncle.Luthian said: »
I tried to use /run in Delve while tanking on PLD to reduce the amount of damage taken from Aero spells. It sucks as a sub job too.
What else would you even sub to reduce magic damage or increase magic eva? Not trying to say it's a great sub for anything, but I'm not sure how any other sub would be absolutely better for that one specific thing.
By Enuyasha 2013-06-05 20:03:33  
Pretty sure /run is resistance only :<

RUN may be great for the matamata cause it can deal out equal amounts of either physical or magical damage (and it can spike magical damage with Lunge). It has its uses,they just arent very strong in those uses quite yet. AF/Relic/Empyrean/merits may change this up alot.
 Lakshmi.Saevel
サーバ: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Saevel 2013-06-06 05:49:41  
Cerberus.Diabolique said: »
It's still a fun job, but yes it was pretty poorly thought out. I never really touch it now since there's no one place where Run would be my best job choice.
What else would you even sub to reduce magic damage or increase magic eva? Not trying to say it's a great sub for anything, but I'm not sure how any other sub would be absolutely better for that one specific thing.

RDM

MDB II
FC II
Barspells
Haste
Refresh
Stoneskin

It's just an all around better sub. Then there is /DNC which is used because an OChain PLD will generate a TON of TP and can use both their TP and their MP to heal themselves.
 Shiva.Paulu
サーバ: Shiva
user: Paulu
By Shiva.Paulu 2013-06-06 07:54:06  
I use /dnc on PLD when holding mobs in Delve (which is all my pld is used for). It's much more beneficial than /war being able to waltz myself around my casting. I'd even argue /blu over /war for holding mobs but I see people /war a lot in randoms shouts.
 Ragnarok.Afania
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Afania
By Ragnarok.Afania 2013-06-06 07:54:19  
Sylph.Lumei said: »
Admittedly, although incoming magic damage would be very low with DD parties like this, outgoing damage would also likely be low unless your Rune Fencers and Blue Mages/DDs are extremely well geared. However, there is little to no chance of getting KO'd with such a safe setup, and so if you are able to deal enough damage, I think this would be very reliable.

What do you all think?

Ever since last update BLU output falls behind, so does many other 1h melee jobs. This setup is more pain in the *** than Aegis PLD+RNG+COR+BRD for DD pt, and you probably ended up doing less dmg too due to too much spell casting and lol1h dmg, when super buffed RNG has higher acc and they can deal dmg outside of casting range. So what's the point?