users online
フォーラム » FFXI » Servers » Lakshmi » (New) SMN soloing
(New) SMN soloing
 Lakshmi.Franklyn
サーバ: Lakshmi
Game: FFXI
user: Franklyn
By Lakshmi.Franklyn 2009-06-29 07:34:15  
I'm sure someone thought of this already but I couldn't find any posts in FFXIclopedia or here so I thought I'd post. I just started soloing Djinn for exp for my 65 SMN. Some of you might be thinking thats the same old technique as before, cast carby a dozen times until the bomb blows up but my method is slightly different. The Djinn gain 100 tp instantly if they come in contact with a spell that is the same as the elemental day i.e Ice on iceday fire or firesday etc. By using Ramuh's shockspikes on lighteningsday or Shiva's spikes on ice day these bombs blow up in a matter of seconds, usually on the second hit they do to the avatar. Haven't quite figured out levels they could be useful for, but I'm getting 280-300 exp per kill at 65 solo. I'm guessing 45-51 for the djinn in East Ronfaure[S] taking off a level or 2 per member you have with you. And 60-67 for Vunker Inlet [S]. I haven't scouted the area yet to look for different camps available but I'm sure there are numerous. I'm camping just SE of the campaign tower. Respawn time is 5 minutes and there are 2 bombs, if their deaths are timed right you can get up to chain 4 420 exp at level 65.

Pros: There are 30 bomb spawns in Vunker Inlet which is a hell of alot better than the 4 in Garlaige and they respawn in 5 minutes as apposed to the 15~. And in my opinion its a hell of alot easier than relying on the rat to take hate from you until the bomb decides to blow. And for those working on smithing Djinn Ash and 4 iron sand is a cheap way to level from 51-56~.

Cons: You can only do it for 2 gamedays per gameweek but in my opinion its a better alternative than waiting for a SMN burn for those who feel that its a cheap/almost low way to exp and much rather do something a bit more exciting. there is a possibility that you could use the other elemental avatars with their corresponding day and just use their teir 2 nukes but moving in to use your BP will draw hate to you often and get you killed.

Btw if someone would be kind to post on FFXIclopedia that would be great, just mention me in your forum. GL soloing.

[update] Diabolos on darksday works decently as well 65+, not quite as MP effecient as Shiva and Ramuh but his 2 magical attacks Netherblast and Somnolence if timed right allow them to blow fairly quickly, If you happen to run into a stubborn bomb switch to carby under 100 MP and kite him the rest of the way as you would a normal bomb. As far as the other avatars, one magical attack every minute is a bit of a stretch to be considered efficient. Hope this helps.
 Fairy.Bruser
サーバ: Fairy
user: gorteg3
By Fairy.Bruser 2009-06-29 07:37:38  
BSTs already do this. They sub blm and cast the spell according to the day. Its on ffxiclopedia bst sections. I guess it should be put in the smn section too. Nice work.
 Lakshmi.Franklyn
By Lakshmi.Franklyn 2009-06-29 07:49:14  
Didn't think to look under there, but you guys have a way to transfer hate to pet which helps alot. And if someone from SE ever reads this it would be nice to have in a future update since SMNs have gotten the shaft since level sync. Leaving us no other option to exp but SMN burns.
 Lakshmi.Franklyn
By Lakshmi.Franklyn 2009-06-29 08:01:38  
Can be done, but doing anything without aggro range of the mob is usually enough to make the bomb look your way. Earlier I just cast barfira and had to run away for 30 seconds before bomb decided to look at ramuh again. Safest way would be letting the avatar do all the work. if only they had a spike or en spell for each avatar. /sigh. Ens are ok, but spikes are better since your avatar has the accuracy of an Elvaan DRK looking at an IT.
 Sylph.Khamila
サーバ: Sylph
user: Khamila
By Sylph.Khamila 2009-06-29 08:08:04  

http://www.ffxiah.com/screenshots.php?id=16642

In my opinion Vunkerl Inlet is best for solo/duo. If you can manage to get 3+ SMNs together for those 2 game days, head to Eldieme [S] :D
 Cerberus.Hikuzo
サーバ: Cerberus
user: Hikuzo
By Cerberus.Hikuzo 2009-06-29 08:08:38  
hmm... i wonder if BLM/RDM could gravity a bomb? cast a T1 nuke, and run like hell XD

then again if we're resisted, we're *** XD....

OH OH! RDM/SMN?
 Lakshmi.Franklyn
By Lakshmi.Franklyn 2009-06-29 08:13:43  
BLM or RDM could work granted you don't get resists much and grav sticks. they blow up alot quicker than normal bombs though, normal self-destruct you can stun, this is almost impossible to stun so you'd have to cast and move very quickly. and /SMN wouldn't do any good the bomb would kill avatar in 1 hit.
 Sylph.Khamila
By Sylph.Khamila 2009-06-29 08:14:50  
Bomb would not have a close enough target for any attempted self destruct. SMNs sometimes release and learn this lesson the hard way. Bomb wont blow up with no target.
 Odin.Blazza
サーバ: Odin
user: Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-06-29 09:29:25  
/smn wouldn't work, but /bst would if you've levelled it to 75 already (or to whatever level you're trying to exp at)
 Gilgamesh.Tallulah
サーバ: Gilgamesh
By Gilgamesh.Tallulah 2009-06-29 09:50:49  
I must try this!
Wouldn't having your avatar cast something silly like Thunder 2 work? Could do it any day if that is the case.
 Unicorn.Excesspain
サーバ: Unicorn
By Unicorn.Excesspain 2009-06-29 09:54:47  
Tallulah said:
I must try this!
Wouldn't having your avatar cast something silly like Thunder 2 work? Could do it any day if that is the case.

Franklyn said:
just use their teir 2 nukes but moving in to use your BP will draw hate to you often and get you killed.
 Sylph.Khamila
By Sylph.Khamila 2009-06-29 10:13:17  
Blazza said:
/smn wouldn't work, but /bst would if you've levelled it to 75 already (or to whatever level you're trying to exp at)

/BST normally is awesome but in this case, the lack of charmable mobs in the Vunkerl Inlet and Eldieme camps makes this unviable ; ;.

Random extra info:
These bombs are notorious for spamming Berserk sometimes or Dark Wave etc... they dont always WS @ 100 TP. Just having the spikes give 100TP per hit is barely enough sometimes to trigger a Self Destruct before avatar dies or your recast is up. Manually (e.g. dia, stone etc) trying to trigger a Nocturnal Combustion on a mob that is VT+ while having an avatar hold hate is... suicide at best. From 61-68 solo in Eldieme I soon learned that your avatar essentially has ZERO hate.. and ANYTHING you do you pull hate, even casting sneak on yourself in "hate range". Combine that hate with forgetting to cancel your own spikes the avatar gave you when you Bloodpact: Warded and 90% of the time you get the Nocturnal Combustion you were looking for.. only up close and personal :P
 Lakshmi.Franklyn
By Lakshmi.Franklyn 2009-06-30 06:43:05  
Khamila said:
Bomb would not have a close enough target for any attempted self destruct. SMNs sometimes release and learn this lesson the hard way. Bomb wont blow up with no target.

Must not apply to this mob, was duoing yesterday when one was being stubborn, we both ran out of MP and I ran circles around the stone walls not far from the spawn point, bomb hit me for 200 damage readied nocturnal combustion, I thought "I'm dead". Boom! I'm still alive and my friend leveled. So you don't neccesarily have to be within range for it to blow up.
 Lakshmi.Ratie
user: ratie
By Lakshmi.Ratie 2009-07-12 09:46:54  
(lol ive edited this post so many times in the past 3 minutes coz i can interpret what is being said in more than one way ~_~)

How many of us have had our target go "out of range" from our weaponskills? It still drains our TP and acts as if it happened.

I think the selfdestruct is the same as say, moonlight/starlight, you need a target to activate it, however it originates around the person using the ability, not the current target. Bombs just require the target to be closer to use it in comparison to us
 Midgardsormr.Ryaan
サーバ: Midgardsormr
user: Ryaan
By Midgardsormr.Ryaan 2009-07-12 10:30:12  
I use to duo out in Vunker Inlet on SMN. We just made sure stoneskin was up and started the fight with an Avatars BP. I would get hit once before the avatars got hate but it worked.
 Caitsith.Heimdall
サーバ: Caitsith
user: Heimdall
By Caitsith.Heimdall 2009-07-12 10:47:58  
hmm just do /sch and stay in llight arts to cast teir 1 nukes so your nuke does no real dmg to draw hate . might use lil more mp but form sound it wouldnt matter
 Kujata.Daus
サーバ: Kujata
user: Daus
By Kujata.Daus 2009-07-12 11:26:36  
if your on smn casting anything near the bomb, let alone on it, will more then likely mean death as you will pull hate. Nocturnal Combustion isnt nearly as survivable as self destruct :X you really dont want to be in its area.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [190 days between previous and next post]
 Lakshmi.Franklyn
By Lakshmi.Franklyn 2010-01-18 20:34:50  
New info into this technique:

Was playing around with a few friends showing them how the strat works. After Lighteningsday ended my friend had a million questions on how we can perfect this technique. We suggested trying on lightsday with carby... massive fail. But then I pulled out diabolos to keep hate and we spammed dia, sure enough... Boom. this led to other trial and errors. It seems that 65+ you can solo these bombs on any day. Diabolos's Netherblast does enough damage regularly to keep hate, 400~ as a level 67 SMN. If you're SMN/RDM you can spam dia on lightsday, bio on darks, fire on firesday etc... and you get about 5~ casts in before the bomb starts to look your way again. Multiple party members help but at 67 in vunkerl Inlet exp isn't as good as it could be.

New things to test would be Beaucedine Glacier S there are 13 bombs and if a camp could be found with 2 or more bombs that's in a safe area this could allow max exp until 70~ solo, 68~ duo, 3+ members @67. on average with the 2 bombs in vunker inlet you can get about 6k exp an hour since the bombs are 5 minute respawns, chains can get a little hard if they blow to quick so timing is everything. Interested in seeing what others come up with. Good Luck!
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [43 days between previous and next post]
 Lakshmi.Franklyn
By Lakshmi.Franklyn 2010-03-03 02:12:05  
Not sure who all reads this because no one ever posts but I'll post anyways, scouted around in xarcabard (S) and found a potential camp. At first it was 4 of us, ranging from 67-75 with me being the 67. From my understanding they got about 130-150 exp a kill without chains, there's only one spot with the bombs and you camp between them and the Savage Ruszors. After about 20 minutes one SMN left, and we decided to sync to 73 with me still being 67, they got a minimum of 200 exp per kill, and we got up to chain 6, possibly more if we had MP. Suggestions would be a party level 67-70 could exp great here, with a COR and chain fairly well with precautions taken. There are a couple undead that roam the area so make sure the bomb is away before you do anything to pull hate because once you get hit you'll probably link the skele. I'll do another post after this one to with camp position for Xarcabard, and Beaucidine Glacier once I search that zone thoroughly enough.
 Lakshmi.Franklyn
By Lakshmi.Franklyn 2010-03-03 03:18:49  
Camp positions.
Beaucedine Glacier (S):

6 Fulminators inhabit the area around F-9, heading towards where Ranguemont Pass would be. Four gigas around these bombs but if you managed to clear the hallway you should be safe to exp. These bombs are level 78-79~ so exp would be roughly the same as caedarva mire imps almost, somewhere between imps and jnun, a party could stay there until 70~. duo until 71-73, solo 74, if you're seeking max to near max exp.

Xarcabard (S):

7 Harum Scarem occupy the area around H/I-7, I-8. Their roaming range is a little large but not too far, 2 skeles are also there to make this camp just shy of perfect. These bombs are 80-81 roughly the same as greater colibri and can be used to exp in a party up until 72 for decent exp, 74-75 duo possibly solo. trio worked fine with me as 67 SMN, a 73 SMN sync and a 75, roughly managed over 1.5k exp in 5 minutes so as long as MP allows could probably get to 18k an hour. Hope to see more people doing this, would like to know how this works out for you guys. GL