users online
フォーラム » FFXI » Endgame » Abyssea » First time... no virgin jokes
First time... no virgin jokes
 Bahamut.Limber
サーバ: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: Limber
By Bahamut.Limber 2013-04-15 15:25:56  
Hey everyone, I'm a returning player, and planning (wanting) to head into Aby tonight or tomorrow night for the first time. I'm a little unsure how to get started. Do I just lfp outside a Maw (I hear LaTheine is the spot)? Will someone just come invite me? Do I need to actively do something? I have 3 stones and currently have "Dawn of Death" quest active.

I'm a little nervous, but super excited, since I hear this is some good exp. If anyone from Bahamut is reading this and has an open spot tonight, please look me up. I'll be the WAR in the corner eager to follow orders.

Thanks for the helpful replies, everyone!
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
サーバ: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2013-04-15 15:27:39  
Bahamut.Limber said: »
I'm a little nervous, but super excited
Just relax and let yourself go, enjoy!
And it'll only feel better in the future!
[+]
 Fenrir.Schutz
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Schutz
By Fenrir.Schutz 2013-04-15 15:34:23  
I would enter the La Theine maw at least once in order to activate both the "Goldstruck Gigas" quest and also allow you to /sea the area, then get time and exit.

If there is an exp party in there, subsequent /sea will allow you to contact the party leads for invites (wherever you might be whilst LFP.)

The limiting factor for 'doing things' straight away in Abyssea is cruor, so there isn't much you can do (by way of unlocking confluxes for teleports etc.) until you get some. So the best thing is to ask someone for an invite, then try to navigate your way to them (without a map) and meet up with them once you are able.

There are aggro mobs inside on the way to the exp camp, so be careful traveling. Once you finish your first run you'll likely have lots of cruors later for buying abyssites, maps, other key items, and keys.

Just try not to kill things with non-elemental WS (to cause ruby light to come out.) Try to WS on mobs when they have a lot of health otherwise.
 Asura.Ina
サーバ: Asura
user: Inasura
By Asura.Ina 2013-04-15 15:34:24  
This is going to come off as me trolling... but I think you are taking Abyssea too seriously. Your priorities should be to get Razed Ruins atma, all 3 Lunar abyssites (2 from killing zone bosses, 1 bought with curor) and since you are war you will want all the red triggers you can get from the list here..

I'm not really sure what other atmas War uses or I'd tell you those as well, you should also be working towards the abyssites of merit, Celerity and Furtherance. All the zone bosses can be done with 2 or 3 people if they already have atmas and stuff so if you have a couple friends you can do them easy. You could also just camp at the ??? and ask groups if you can join for the clear, Idk if that is frowned upon though.
[+]
 Bismarck.Magnuss
サーバ: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Magnuss 2013-04-15 15:37:38  
No virgin jokes from a guy named Limber...

admiralackbar.jpg
[+]
 Bismarck.Diablosword
By Bismarck.Diablosword 2013-04-15 15:37:47  
Dont be ashamed if you dont last as long as you hope the first time, it gets better with practice, and atmas.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Chibiclone
サーバ: Carbuncle
By Carbuncle.Chibiclone 2013-04-15 15:40:16  
Don't just stand LFG somewhere and think you'll get a tell, this isn't old school 6 man pt building where people so /sea all inv.

You'll need to watch for someone forming an exp shout in jeuno and join up with them. If you're below 70-75ish they either won't want you, or want you to be a key ***, which you need curor for which you don't have (unless you're a healing job with at least cure 4).

Nothing to be nervous about, aby exp is full alliance rape of everything that moves, 90% of your killing will be done by 99s that are meriting while everyone else (for the most part) just stands around not doing a whole lot... and far to often just goes afk.
 Fenrir.Schutz
By Fenrir.Schutz 2013-04-15 15:40:36  
Bismarck.Diablosword said: »
Dont be ashamed if you dont last as long as you hope the first time, it gets better with practice, and atmas.

Yes, I hear Atma of the Mounted Champion works well. :p Avoid Atma of the Untouched, maybe.
[+]
By Clonemaster 2013-04-15 15:45:14  
Fenrir.Schutz said: »
If there is an exp party in there, subsequent /sea will allow you to contact the party leads for invites (wherever you might be whilst LFP.)

Please god no, do not send random tells to party leads in aby zones. You have no idea if they are exping, farming, or NM camping in a small group. I absolutely hate when I get random tells while I'm dualboxing NMs, it's rude and presumptuous.
 Bismarck.Arcos
user: afranko22
By Bismarck.Arcos 2013-04-15 15:45:35  
I know this may be contrary to popular opinion but I would start with abyssites of Celerity. Once you knock out the first one in Konschtat, you will replinish stones in 16 hours. I would also work on Whither the Whisker in Vunkerl.

In Vunkerl, any of the Base camp fame 1 quests will give both cruor and fame. I ran Boxwatcher's Behest with my mule numerous times. The route is rather easy with any movement speed gear. Just don't forget to unlock Conflux #1 in each zone. As she earned more cruor, I unlocked more conflux on the way.

Easier yet is "A Ward to End all Wards" in Vunkerl. Grab a bunch of cheap triggers off the list. Trade to NPC. Recieve reward and repeat.

With 2 abyssites, you should replenish stones fast enough to do other things in abyssea without needing time extensions. Cruor from the first 2 abyssites can be used to purchase the third.

La Theine parties will typically use Conflux 8, with cruor from the first 2 quests you can unlock 8 on the innitial run to the XP party.
 Asura.Ina
By Asura.Ina 2013-04-15 15:47:56  
Carbuncle.Chibiclone said: »
Don't just stand LFG somewhere and think you'll get a tell, this isn't old school 6 man pt building where people so /sea all inv.

You'll need to watch for someone forming an exp shout in jeuno and join up with them.
Idk about that, lfp generally works fine here as long as you are 70+ so no need to discourage it.

Just try not to kill things with non-elemental WS (to cause ruby light to come out.) Try to WS on mobs when they have a lot of health otherwise.
It's not a big deal if you do... If it's a worm party ruby will just end up capping itself by virtue of squishtastic mobs.
 Bahamut.Limber
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Limber
By Bahamut.Limber 2013-04-15 15:48:18  
lol! Sorry!
Bismarck.Magnuss said: »
No virgin jokes from a guy named Limber...

I guess that is pretty strange...

Ok, I won't worry too much about it. My WAR is 75 with a few merits from before the lvl cap lift. I'll actively search out a party, and watch the Shouts section here while doing something else. I fully understand my role in the alliance will be petty, but I'd like to contribute whenever possible.

Thanks for all your help, everyone. I really do appreciate it and hope to repay that help. I started a newb-friendly LS on Bahamut that I'm hoping will take off soon.

EDIT: I will NOT be contacting party leaders, if that's considered rude and presumptuous. Thanks for setting me straight. I'll just lfp for now.
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
サーバ: Leviathan
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2013-04-15 15:52:50  
Cruor is spelled C R U O R. It is not C U R O R. This is very important information that'll serve you well in abyssea. It makes you appear more intelligent than the 40% of the server that can't figure out a 5-letter word.

-Do Initial CS
If you've never yet been in abyssea, enter any maw, get 30 minutes with your stone, exit, and return to Joachim for a cutscene. This is required to unlock any maws for teleportation.

-Unlock Key Maws
Go to La Theine, Misareaux, and Altepa and check the maws. You must have at least one traverser stone on you to get the cutscene(which unlocks the maw). I'd advise entering, getting visitant, and leaving to add the zones to your available searches.

-Locate an EXP group
This can be difficult. If you see a group shouting in jeuno, that'll make it easier. Try doing a search of the areas:
/sea abyslathein
/sea abysmisar
/sea abysaltepa
and asking party leaders if they're exping and have space for another. Be polite, if you are 75 without atma then they're doing you a favor allowing you to join. Don't harass people that don't respond.

-Head to your EXP group
You'll want to get an invite soon after entering, and may want to use stones to get additional time for safety, unless you're confident the group is good. Generally, an EXP group will recieve time extensions notably faster than time is used, resulting in no limitation to abyssea time when exping. The time extensions are zonewide, so if you get an invite immediately you'll be better off.

-ASK your leader about light preference
Most people don't care if you WS kill. At 75, it's not likely you will anyway. Someone above mentioned avoiding WS kills due to ruby light, some groups are terrified that it will lower their time extensions to the point they will time out. These are bad groups, but you should still respect the leaders wishes and avoid killing with physical WSes if they don't want ruby built.

Once you get 99 and a comfortable amount of merits and/or friends who will help you, work on atma. If you can't receive help, do some background research and try to assemble parties yourself. Key atma for DD will be voracious violet, gnarled horn, razed ruins, sanguine scythe, and eventually apocalypse. There are defensive atma as well, and which offensive are best change drastically with job and gear, but for the time being those are reasonable goals.
 Cerberus.Pleebo
サーバ: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2013-04-15 15:54:46  
I used to send tells to anyone in the zone with <Experience points> in their search comments (or something similar to indicate they're in a worm party). It's not that big of a deal to get/send a random tell. The ***people get mad about in this game...

Yes, I hear Atma of the Mounted Champion works well. :p Avoid Atma of the Untouched, maybe.
Schutz, you naughty monkey! Back in your cage!
[+]
 Asura.Ina
By Asura.Ina 2013-04-15 15:55:01  
Bahamut.Limber said: »
EDIT: I will NOT be contacting party leaders, if that's considered rude and presumptuous. Thanks for setting me straight. I'll just lfp for now.
It's not an uncommon thing for people to do, I get tells all the time when I'm doing not exp stuff in there. It will just come down to the party leader, some might be bugged by it, others won't care since it's not a big deal. Just don't be one of those people that offers to key as though there aren't 10 other people in the alliance that would gladly do it and thinks 200 is an amount of keys to brag about.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
サーバ: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2013-04-15 15:55:41  
People can be rude, but the act itself of asking if someone's exping is not.
Cerberus.Pleebo said: »
The ***people get mad about in this game...
 Fenrir.Schutz
By Fenrir.Schutz 2013-04-15 15:55:55  
Clonemaster said: »

Please god no, do not send random tells to party leads in aby zones. You have no idea if they are exping, farming, or NM camping in a small group. I absolutely hate when I get random tells while I'm dualboxing NMs, it's rude and presumptuous.

Well certainly everyone reacts differently to /t from random people. I personally don't balk if I am in La Theine doing Briareus or Ovni or such and someone asks if there is an exp party (especially if others in the zone are not 99) and just try to steer them in the right direction if possible.

But certainly you are allowed to feel that way if that is how it comes across to you.
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2013-04-15 16:54:23  

Atma of Thrashing Tendrils

More on topic, it doesn't bother me to get tells though I pretty much never set up exp pt's outside of my ls or friends. As long as you're nice about whatever your asking, I don't see anything wrong with it. Definitely get your stones going and if you haven't done it yet get your voidwatch stones going as well, you'll need them badly.