Looking To See What Role Is A RDM Now?

言語: JP EN DE FR
2010-06-21
New Items
users online
フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Red Mage » Looking to see what role is a RDM now?
Looking to see what role is a RDM now?
First Page 2 ... 9 10 11
 Sylph.Mystaria
サーバ: Sylph
Game: FFXI
By Sylph.Mystaria 2013-01-08 16:54:43  
Hello, back when I started FFXI, I loved only 2 jobs, RDM and WHM. RDM I was the haster, the debuffer, the refresher, it was a great time. Now however.. as I came back to FFXI, All this level 99 stuff.. Aby, Voidwatch. It seems RDM has no purpose? Hell, I dont even know what role it IS anymore since it seems SCH has everything a RDM could do too. Then when I look at gear wise, its like RDM is trying to be a BLM more?

I mean granted atm I have my rdm geared for MAB which helps for the elm ws stuff if I use a sword. Only other thing I have since my WHM and BLM had the FC gear, just added to the rdm. So In a way, speedier spells for proccing.

So aside from soloing use for storyline missions and so. What role is a RDM for in the endgame world? If you arent an Almace RDM, is there even a purpose to trying to melee? Just noticing that it seems "debuffing" isnt something really used much now on mobs.. since yea.. not like they live long, even aby nms.

So any advice would be great. Would love to learn what roles a rdm can do in the endgame world or if it really is just something idle, generic on the side to be a switch hitter for whm and blm roles as an "extra mage" slot.
By Bigsmokey 2013-01-08 17:05:48  
RDM is good for Odin v2 for refresh 2. That's about it.
 Carbuncle.Chibiclone
サーバ: Carbuncle
By Carbuncle.Chibiclone 2013-01-08 17:06:52  
RDM is worthless, about the only thing they do anymore is cast phalanx on RMT fell cleavers. They do have 1 or 2 vw proc spells that no other job has so with VERY occasionally be taken to the harder fights.

The only other thing they laughably try to do is lolmelee rdm, hell SE even thought it would be a good idea to give them Temper instead of something useful like Cure V.
Guide Maker
By Quetzacoatl 2013-01-08 17:11:31  
Carbuncle.Chibiclone said: »
Cure V
[+]
 Bismarck.Kelhor
Administrator
サーバ: Bismarck
user: Rooks
By Bismarck.Kelhor 2013-01-08 17:11:46  
Carbuncle.Chibiclone said: »
They do have 1 or 2 vw proc spells

No longer true.
[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
サーバ: Odin
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2013-01-08 17:13:35  
Bigsmokey said: »
RDM is good for Odin v2 for refresh 2. That's about it.

We've had good luck with rdm in salvage 2, not needing ja's or subjob. 6/tick refresh with nothing but spell casting and reasonable mp/hp. Really any situation where you have very few tools for quickly containing mp. And when dd's have little or no gear or hate generation, a mage that can take a few hits us handy as hell.

Rdm can still change roles in a party with far less sacrifice than sch. It just doesn't get embrava.
 Shiva.Paulu
サーバ: Shiva
user: Paulu
By Shiva.Paulu 2013-01-08 17:15:10  
RDM does well in Salvage.
[+]
By Purty 2013-01-08 17:17:42  
trying to be positive i guess lmao!:
[+]
 Bahamut.Cantontai
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Cantontai
By Bahamut.Cantontai 2013-01-08 17:50:25  
Chainspell stun for ADL maybe?
I would say Legion, but I think most people use Sch/blm for stuns there...
 Bahamut.Zorander
user: Zor
By Bahamut.Zorander 2013-01-08 17:55:39  
When was that video taken...
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2013-01-08 17:59:30  
Requiescat is lvl96, so sometime since 99 cap. Not many jobs, or even rdm's could do that, anyway. Its a hell of am achievement, but the thread is about party play, not super amazing lolwhy solo's.
By Purty 2013-01-08 18:31:09  
Don't be hatin! rdm solo can be endgame for your +2 upgrades and stuff. well anyways I would constantly get asked to come rdm in voidwatch despite the empy/relic jobs i had available. Guess u can be proc *** for now :P
By Aeyela 2013-01-08 18:32:22  
Quote:
Looking to see what role is a RDM now?

Benchwarming.
[+]
 Odin.Creaucent
user: Creaucent
By Odin.Creaucent 2013-01-08 18:36:39  
Making cups of tea and making sure dinner is ready for when the LS gets home.
[+]
 Leviathan.Draylo
サーバ: Leviathan
user: Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2013-01-08 18:38:35  
Bahamut.Zorander said: »

That guy always sounded so damn pompous, couldn't stand reading his posts.
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2013-01-08 18:39:08  
Sylph.Mystaria said: »

The mechanics of the game changed. The developers made it very clear that WHM and BLM had their roll as top healer and nuker, respectively. They threw the scraps to RDM and SCH.

RDM is still useful for Dia3 in certain strategies, but that's about it. Stun-whoring is pretty much SCH/BLM only. SCH with af2+2 feet, alacrity and Apajamas2 staff can pretty much stun lock(reduce the recast of Stun very low).

Slow2/para2: well most EG content doesn't require them because at the moment we just PD/Embrava everything to death.

EDIT: After the Embrava nerf RDM might have more utility. For stuff like NNI/Meebles however, rdm lacks Regen5 is one major issue.
 Phoenix.Meowzer
サーバ: Phoenix
user: Meowzer
By Phoenix.Meowzer 2013-01-08 19:17:29  
It really depends on who is open to letting you use your Red Mage. I use Red Mage still for events such as Voidwatch, Meeble Burrows, Abyssea, Salvage, Einherjar, Limbus... However I've yet to use it for higher end events like ADL and Legion. That being said, I do not get into these events because of the job, but because of the gear and skill associated with my Red Mage. The fact that I put in the effort to multitask (Cure cross-alliance, enfeeble, buff, proc'ing, and contributing a tiny sliver of DD'ing) is probably the only saving grace that lets the few groups that know my Red Mage let me come Red Mage.

tl;dr - Unless your Red Mage is geared impressively, expect a large amount of rejection.
[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2013-01-08 22:55:42  
Leviathan.Draylo said: »
Bahamut.Zorander said: »
That guy always sounded so damn pompous, couldn't stand reading his posts.

Never came across as pompus to me, informative and anelitical maybe. I would expect someone who goes out and solo's Azdaja without cruor/atma or even windower for fun to be a little cocky, lol.
[+]
 Leviathan.Draylo
user: Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2013-01-09 00:33:06  
Why would you expect him to be cocky? Sorry, but that is not a huge deal that someone can have an ego over something small like that lol. I'm also guessing you're the one that told him so he could send his lengthy PM. It's my opinion bro.
 Bahamut.Vladislav
user: burado
By Bahamut.Vladislav 2013-01-09 01:27:04  
Well RDM is ok to do old stuff missions/etc solo especially i was found RDM is really great in WotG , solo/lowman group Abyssea (really good for seals NM's RDM/NIN cause you have good amount of yellow procs)
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2013-01-09 08:41:18  
Why would you expect him to be cocky? Sorry, but that is not a huge deal that someone can have an ego over something small like that lol. I'm also guessing you're the one that told him so he could send his lengthy PM. It's my opinion bro.
I certainly hope you don't think your BLU solos are anything better, if you're going to say that to him.

I'm not implying you do, just drawing a comparison.
[+]
 Valefor.Esdain
サーバ: Valefor
user: esdain
By Valefor.Esdain 2013-01-09 08:44:20  

Probably the largest reason for the adjustment to Healing Magic skill's effect on Cure potency was to buff Cure IV to Cure V level without actually giving other jobs Cure V so WHM wouldn't cry.

My opinion at least, but I think it's quite a possible one.
[+]
Guide Maker
By Quetzacoatl 2013-01-09 09:07:05  
Valefor.Esdain said: »

Probably the largest reason for the adjustment to Healing Magic skill's effect on Cure potency was to buff Cure IV to Cure V level without actually giving other jobs Cure V so WHM wouldn't cry.

My opinion at least, but I think it's quite a possible one.

For real though, RDM never really needed it, especially since now RDM can easily cram on Cure Potency to come off as a competent healer of sorts.
 Bismarck.Lillica
サーバ: Bismarck
user: agryas99
By Bismarck.Lillica 2013-01-09 09:09:06  
RDM is used for soloing Urteils.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2013-01-09 09:13:08  

Lol, post on a public forum, surprised when people see it....

Choosing spells out of your spell list so that spellcast can change all your gear for you on a 75 nm is a far cry from vanilla macro's on stuff that's designed for huge buffs and 3k hp.
[+]
Guide Maker
By Quetzacoatl 2013-01-09 09:13:58  
I also thought the crying for cure 5 would have ended by now.

Post deleted by User.
[+]
First Page 2 ... 9 10 11