users online
フォーラム » FFXI » General » WS: Torque Vs. Gorget
WS: Torque Vs. Gorget
 Ragnarok.Blindphleb
サーバ: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
By Ragnarok.Blindphleb 2009-06-10 01:33:52  
Hello,

I was recently discussing the use of Torques (e.g. User submitted image) vs. Gorgets (e.g. User submitted image).

I hear it from both sides some say "Torques >>>> Gorgets" other say "Gorgets >>> Torques" I'm trying to find out obviously which one is better, but more importantly why.

From my understanding, and some wiki checking, gorgets add ~10 acc to all hits of a WS and increases fTP modifier by +0.1. So from my understanding of fTP it would raise my calculated TP by 10% which would be good for WS that get a substantial increase in their TP anchor points such as Great Axe or Great Katana, but not as much on WS such as Penta or Asuran's Fist where the modifiers are at a constant 1.0.

Anything that could make the choice between them clearer would be appreciated.
Thanks!
 Fenrir.Krazyrs
サーバ: Fenrir
user: krazyrs
By Fenrir.Krazyrs 2009-06-10 01:56:07  
i ws in gorgets

jailers are being stingy tho on torques, like to drop em days i get called in to work, then i get a text about it since im a sacky and just sit there at work going, SE hates me, really...

always have heard tp in torque ws in gorget tho
 Garuda.Amara
サーバ: Garuda
user: Amara
By Garuda.Amara 2009-06-10 01:56:31  
I know for single hit WS like Gekko and Kasha Gorgets are better. Not sure when it comes to multi hit, I have breeze gorget for thf and I wasn't overly impressed with it compared to using chiv chain or pcc. I haven't tried Love torque with DE since I don't own one, but I would say even that would outperfom the gorget on a multi-hit ws. 10 acc across all hits is nice, but I believe the +7 skill would prove better since it also increases your attack.
 Ragnarok.Blindphleb
By Ragnarok.Blindphleb 2009-06-10 02:22:24  
When people get excited about the ~10 acc the gorgets are supposed to add to all hits of the WS. Don't things like PCA add the same accuracy to all hits of a WS? It seems to me the key difference between the gorgets and other acc neck pieces for the purposes of WS would be the fTP addition.
 Garuda.Amara
サーバ: Garuda
user: Amara
By Garuda.Amara 2009-06-10 02:24:27  
But it's only .1fTP and on multi-hit it's only active on the first hit... to me... that's not really that exciting. On a single hit or even 2hit WS sure, but something like Asuran Fists, Dancing Edge, Evisceration I'd take torque.
 Ramuh.Dasva
サーバ: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-06-10 02:57:16  
Blindphleb said:
Hello,

I was recently discussing the use of Torques (e.g. User submitted image) vs. Gorgets (e.g. User submitted image).

I hear it from both sides some say "Torques >>>> Gorgets" other say "Gorgets >>> Torques" I'm trying to find out obviously which one is better, but more importantly why.

From my understanding, and some wiki checking, gorgets add ~10 acc to all hits of a WS and increases fTP modifier by +0.1. So from my understanding of fTP it would raise my calculated TP by 10% which would be good for WS that get a substantial increase in their TP anchor points such as Great Axe or Great Katana, but not as much on WS such as Penta or Asuran's Fist where the modifiers are at a constant 1.0.

Anything that could make the choice between them clearer would be appreciated.
Thanks!

Theres some misconceptions here. ftp is just the tp multiplier thats part of the dmg calculations. Its what really makes most single and 2 hit ws so much bigger then melee dmg regardless of stats. So adding .1 would be crazy good on something that only had .5 but crap on something that has say 5. That being said ftp like stat mods are only applied to the first hit on a ws. And any single or 2 hit ws that has lower then 2 for its ftp isnt really worth using at which point taht .1 is only about a 5% dmg increase. And multihitters are really all about the extra hits hence the bigger focus on att/acc. Now I here this 10acc thing throw around... guess I'll have to do some serious testing but chiv neck would consistently do more dmg on both sharkbite and danceing edge for me then breeze gorget. That being said sea torques are clearly >>> chiv neck. Basically they are 7acc and att for those weapons as well as +5 to a stat that is generally pertinent to those weapons wss...
 Ragnarok.Blindphleb
By Ragnarok.Blindphleb 2009-06-10 03:02:54  
What part is the misconception?
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-06-10 03:07:18  
That +1.ftp is the same as adding 10% tp... that may or may not be true depending on the ws and what tp you are at
 Ragnarok.Blindphleb
By Ragnarok.Blindphleb 2009-06-10 03:23:05  
It would still be 10% TP addition it's just that on some WS the increase that 10% TP would give would be greater. For instance the equations between 100% and 200% and 300% are linear equations. However, their slopes can change based on the fTP anchor values. If the slope between 200% and 300% is particularly steep such as in the WS Calamity, then the same 10% TP change will be significantly higher than if it was a shallower slope.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-06-10 03:45:52  
... um i don't think you get what im saying at all. Each ws has a different ftp value at different tps. So adding 10% tp is not at all the same as adding .1ftp... porbably the best example of this would be the ws that have the saem ftp regardless of tp. Your still raising ftp and yet 10% tp wouldn't understand?
 Ragnarok.Blindphleb
By Ragnarok.Blindphleb 2009-06-10 04:10:16  
Ok I understand what you're saying better now.
 Bahamut.Raenryong
サーバ: Bahamut
user: RaenRyong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2009-06-10 06:05:17  
Dasva said:
That being said ftp like stat mods are only applied to the first hit on a ws.

Stat mods, WSC, are added to all hits of a WS. fTP is only used in the first though, it's true.

Gorget is always better than any Torque which isn't Love. fTP +0.1 is a 5-10%~ damage increase in your average weaponskill to the first hit (also the most important hit) and 10accuracy over all hits which makes it beat any other non-Love Torque option.

SAM WSs generally have the most potent mods. Gorget adds 6.4% damage to the first hit (normally the only hit) and Justice Torque adds 5STR which is 1~2 fSTR and 2~3 WSC. Let's say it's 3WSC and 2fSTR for argument's sake which happens very rarely. That's roughly a 5/150 damage increase of 3.3% vs a Gorget's 6.4%.

tl;dr Love Torque (DRG (especially Drakesbane) and THF weaponskills (when stacked in particular)) or Gorget.
 Unicorn.Sedres
サーバ: Unicorn
user: Sedres
By Unicorn.Sedres 2009-06-10 06:13:29  
From what I'm aware of, gorgets add the equivalent of +15 STR for YGK. If this is consistent for 100%/200%/300%, I'm not sure, though I'd assume so.

Any any case, this is clearly better than the 5 STR/7 atk from Justice torque.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [3610 days between previous and next post]
サーバ: Asura
user: voiceless
By Asura.Swaggernaught 2019-04-29 01:14:41  
hmm
[+]
 Phoenix.Dabackpack
MSPaint Winner
サーバ: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Dabackpack 2019-04-29 01:17:49