users online
フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Warrior » Non empy/relic WAR choices
Non empy/relic WAR choices
 Ragnarok.Aglar
サーバ: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
user: Aglar
By Ragnarok.Aglar 2012-10-28 09:16:05  
So, I just added WAR to my list of lv99 jobs, and wanted some comments and suggestions from you guys.

I won't be going for empy or relic for war (no time soon anyway), so I'm wondering what other viable options I have when it comes to GA or GS. Been looking at a few, but really not sure which way to go.

Kinda tired of seeing people getting told that if you don't have an Ukon/Rag you can gtfo. It happens

Would it be better to go for Upheaval or Resolution, and what would be the weapon of choice for either?

Sorry for the nub questions, haven't really been paying attention to WAR until recently :P
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: Byrthnoth
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2012-10-28 09:27:11  
Probably Upheaval, and I'd recommend you just get a Widowmaker and call it good enough.

Regardless whether or not you want to hear it, the R/M/E options are so far ahead of everything else for WAR at 99 that you'll never be competitive without them.
[+]
 Cerberus.Kvazz
サーバ: Cerberus
user: kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2012-10-28 09:27:24  
Jeg tenkte akkurat det samme når jeg levla warrior, kom fram til at jeg bare burde la være å bruke den fram til jeg laga Ukon..
Andre valg er i bunn og grunn en utrolig stor nedgradering =/
Om du føler du VIRKELIG vil bruke den, ville jeg bare gått for en widowmaker og merita Upheaval, også jobba på en ukon sakte men sikkert.
Er faktisk en stooor oppgradering.

For english people: Get a widowmaker, merit upheaval, work slowly on Ukon.
VIP
By Jassik 2012-10-28 09:35:26  
Lakshmi.Byrth said: »
Probably Upheaval, and I'd recommend you just get a Widowmaker and call it good enough. Regardless whether or not you want to hear it, the R/M/E options are so far ahead of everything else for WAR at 99 that you'll never be competitive without them.

With a widowmaker, upheaval isn't half bad outside abby. In abby you're still going to be spamming raging rush. If you are bringing war as a DD, you should have your eyes on ukon, period. As a proc monkey for abby, widowmaker will do you fine.
[+]
 Cerberus.Kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2012-10-28 09:41:57  
In abyssea, Dies Irae is pretty boss, so that's worth mentioning I guess.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Aglar
By Ragnarok.Aglar 2012-10-28 09:55:00  
Thanks for the quick replies.

@Kvazz: Hehe, ja jeg har tenkt tanken selv, men synes det er så tett at man nesten er dårlig bare fordi man ikke har en. Ingenting kan sammenliknes, såklart.

I'm not expecting to be awesome sauce without empy/relic, just not horrible. Would be using it everywhere, not just as a proc monkey hehe.

I figured GA would be the better choice, so I've had my eyes on Widowmaker as well. Working slowly on Ukon might happen, but doing all those Glavoids isn't tempting at all :P Ofcourse I might do some FC farming for KI's and brew him or something, eventually getting what I need. Same with Itzpapalotl I guess.

Thanks for the input, regardless :)
 Fenrir.Curty
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Curty
By Fenrir.Curty 2012-10-28 10:02:31  
Also may want to consider the great sword, Etourdissante. Tends to outperform widowmaker outside of abyssea.
 Bismarck.Voren
サーバ: Bismarck
user: Voren
By Bismarck.Voren 2012-10-28 10:04:14  
Upheaval is pretty nice. I have a Widowmaker, have used Dies Irae as well as the Vermeil Bhuj. I would suggest that if you are to stick with Upheaval and Raging Rush invest in either the -PDT or the STR GA obtained through the magian trials. Upheaval has a VIT mod, but STR and atk may do more.

And like they said, get a widowmaker, you'll love it. It's sex for DA as it increases dmg by 10% when DA procs, and in Abyssea with atmas dbl atk procs frequently, outside it does as well with solid gear.

I can't say which magian GA might be better, I would hazard a guess at the STR path unless VIT mod > 26 atk on upheaval.
 Cerberus.Kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2012-10-28 10:06:54  
Only magian GA people should work on, really, is Ukon.
It's just so far ahead of everything else.
 Bismarck.Voren
サーバ: Bismarck
user: Voren
By Bismarck.Voren 2012-10-28 10:12:57  
True, but the OP did ask non empy/relic, so I was just staying on topic.

I forgot that with the cost of flame geodes and lack of fire weather that it would probably take longer to build a STR GA than a Ukon. PDT isn't so bad to build. So yeah Ukon > Magian in performance, cost, and time consumption.

If no magian, empy, relic, or mythic then yeah Widowmaker outside and inside aby, Dies Irae inside when using Raging Rush.

GS is ok, but if you can stick to a GA, more skill, more atk, more acc, can do a 5 hit build easier without giving up other stats buffs.
By Geonidas 2012-10-28 10:22:37  
if no ukon or rag ppl gonna keep telling gtfo for sure so here your options you not interest on make a emp or relic then lvl a whm rdm blm sch smn brd without emp or relic can pass and be acepted in most event otherwise hmmm idk quit game? xD
[+]
 Cerberus.Kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2012-10-28 10:28:20  
I made a similar thread when I wanted to gear up WAR properly, and I just gave up on finding a respectable weapon other than Ukon after a week or so of trying to come up with excuses not to make one :P
VIP
By Jassik 2012-10-28 11:13:07  
Cerberus.Kvazz said: »
I made a similar thread when I wanted to gear up WAR properly, and I just gave up on finding a respectable weapon other than Ukon after a week or so of trying to come up with excuses not to make one :P

pretty much this, there are some jobs that are acceptable without an e/r/m, or thier weapon just sucks, war is a job that really isn't able to function as a high end DD without one. The gap between AH WAR and Ukon WAR is just too large to ignore.

not to be a smartass, but you said non emp/relic. Conqueror is a pretty good g.axe, lol.
[+]
 Valefor.Savain
サーバ: Valefor
user: Savain
By Valefor.Savain 2012-10-28 11:21:25  
If we're being serious, with good gear you can get a widowmaker or something better, and use RR. Since you're sure to know people who have the gear but can't make it work, it would be acceptable. I ran as a Widowmaker WAR for several months of Voidwatch, being useful with procs / parsing well.

Pretty much what the last two people said though, Ukon is abnormally good.
 Ragnarok.Aglar
By Ragnarok.Aglar 2012-10-28 11:50:23  
Maybe I should rename this thread "What to use until I have Ukon" lol

again thanks for the input. (except useless comments about leveling mage jobs or quitting) XD

Empy GA is the only thing I would consider going for, since I'm working on a different relic atm, and mythic is out of the question. Will be going for Widowmaker, for now at least.

@Savain Wouldn't Upheaval be better?
[+]
 Cerberus.Kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2012-10-28 11:56:50  
Upheaval er en veldig bra WS, bare gå for Widowmaker og bruk den =)
Har et set på profilen min du kan gå etter, er ikke optimalt, men funker bra nok!
 Phoenix.Sehachan
Guide Maker
サーバ: Phoenix
user: Seha
By Phoenix.Sehachan 2012-10-28 12:04:46  
Can solo a relic fairly casually, I'd work on Ragnarok(if ukon is off cause you're ronry/mobs are annoying/whatever).

Really the difference is huge between empy/relic and Widowmaker(although some people manage to suck even with those, but that's an entirely different matter).
 Phoenix.Dramatica
サーバ: Phoenix
user: Darkmagi1
By Phoenix.Dramatica 2012-10-28 12:23:45  
As far as abyssea/fodder purposes go, Dies Irae is far ahead of other gaxes. Would pick one of those up for use on fodder and abyssea.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Aglar
By Ragnarok.Aglar 2012-10-28 14:18:12  
Phoenix.Sehachan said: »
Can solo a relic fairly casually, I'd work on Ragnarok(if ukon is off cause you're ronry/mobs are annoying/whatever)

Reason I won't be doing relic is that I'm working on relic dagger atm, which is taking it's sweet time :P

Just joined a new LS, so I won't be doing runs for my own gains in a while, hence the solo farming and stuffs :)
By Voren 2012-10-31 04:31:59  
Can solo a relic fairly casually, I'd work on Ragnarok(if ukon is off cause you're ronry/mobs are annoying/whatever).

Really the difference is huge between empy/relic and Widowmaker(although some people manage to suck even with those, but that's an entirely different matter).

Can only solo a relic to a certain stage, will still need a few people (not a full party, but at least a healer) for fighting the Animated Claymore/dagger/Axe or w/e weapon it is you're after.

Not sure if BST can solo this stage, just need a drop item.

WARs that fail with Widowmaker need to put up the GA and become something other than a DD. Suck with GA, gonna suck with the rest.
 Fenrir.Gundulagause
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Gundula
By Fenrir.Gundulagause 2012-10-31 05:17:59  
Voren said: »

Can only solo a relic to a certain stage, will still need a few people (not a full party, but at least a healer) for fighting the Animated Claymore/dagger/Axe or w/e weapon it is you're after.

Not sure if BST can solo this stage, just need a drop item.

WARs that fail with Widowmaker need to put up the GA and become something other than a DD. Suck with GA, gonna suck with the rest.

Regarding axe, i soloed all the items for my guttler, it is very easy, just takes some time.
 Sylph.Binckry
サーバ: Sylph
user: Binckly
By Sylph.Binckry 2012-10-31 07:41:33  
BST should be able to solo most, if not all animated weapons, might be able to do the Beau fomor NMs too, not sure about Quiebitiel, though. <.< I just hate that NM. It's spot mostly, but for BST it uses Benediction, and nukes, which might not be so great.