By Siren.Kalilla 2012-07-31 13:55:22  
07-31-2012 01:48 PM
[source]
Camate
Community Rep

Greetings!

I have the answer to the question that has been asked since VanaFest:

Almost Every Player said:
Will rune fencers utilize consumable items for their runes or is it a charge-type abilty?
No, runes will not be generated through consumable items like ninja tools. Instead, they will be generated/used via an ability. There will be a recast timer associated with runes, which is currently planned to be around 10 seconds. With that said, I think you can consider the system to be quite close to how dancers function.

Hope this clears up the debate
Subscribe
[+]
 Carbuncle.Snoochybooch
サーバ: Carbuncle
Game: FFXI
By Carbuncle.Snoochybooch 2012-07-31 14:00:55  
Will they be able to use Excalibur? >_>?
 Siren.Kalilla
VIP
サーバ: Siren
user: Kalila
By Siren.Kalilla 2012-07-31 14:01:27  
Carbuncle.Snoochybooch said: »
Will they be able to use Excalibur? >_>?
Mythic GS only
 Phoenix.Sehachan
Guide Maker
サーバ: Phoenix
user: Seha
By Phoenix.Sehachan 2012-07-31 14:02:05  
Wait, not like charges, but like dancers?! That sucks.
[+]
By Fyyvoaa 2012-07-31 14:02:18  
so bascailly like DNC finishing moves kinda?

Well that is nice I guess.
 Phoenix.Brixy
Guide Maker
user: Brixy
By Phoenix.Brixy 2012-07-31 14:10:19  
Oh the joy! Get ready Rune Fencers you can share the terrible recast system dnc has for job abilities.
[+]
By Enuyasha 2012-07-31 14:21:30  
its more like they get to share the spotlight with how normal job abilities work...except every 10 seconds...and not needed finishing moves....congratulations SE...you're slowly making the next PLD noone will ever use.
 Quetzalcoatl.Moonsshadow
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
By Quetzalcoatl.Moonsshadow 2012-07-31 14:43:42  
Phoenix.Sehachan said: »
Why?
 Carbuncle.Ceruleanknight
user: Ideki
By Carbuncle.Ceruleanknight 2012-07-31 14:46:52  
Siren.Kalilla said: »
Mythic GS only

There is a Mythic GS ? >.>;
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
サーバ: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2012-07-31 14:47:06  
I really like the sounds of this.
 Phoenix.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Phoenix.Sehachan 2012-07-31 14:48:35  
Quetzalcoatl.Moonsshadow said: »
Why?
Charges are a lot better than the system dnc has for steps and waltzes.
 Sylph.Kiaru
サーバ: Sylph
user: Shiyo
By Sylph.Kiaru 2012-07-31 14:49:00  
Rune fencer = death knight from WOW
Quote:
Their exceptional magic defense and elemental resistance put them squarely in the tank category

Tons of anti-magic things(Anti-magic zone, anti-magic shell), runic power = TP, rune charges = runes, 2h tank, etc.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
サーバ: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2012-07-31 14:51:29  
Quetzalcoatl.Moonsshadow said: »
Why?
Charges are a lot better than the system dnc has for steps and waltzes.

Uh? Waiting 40s~1m per rune as compared to maybe expending some type of resource (MP or TP most likely) for a charge every 10s seems like an easy choice to me. Access to more runes, particularly since this job seems to function around dynamic use of runes, is a very, very good thing and is infinitely superior to something like Quick Draw or Stratagems.
[+]
 Phoenix.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Phoenix.Sehachan 2012-07-31 14:51:33  
Unless they mean you use JA to build up runes to expend, then it sounds interesting.
By Quiznor 2012-07-31 14:52:12  
Carbuncle.Ceruleanknight said: »
Siren.Kalilla said: »
Mythic GS only

There is a Mythic GS ? >.>;

They said rune fencer is getting its own mythic,so it will likely be a GS from the pictures
 Carbuncle.Ceruleanknight
user: Ideki
By Carbuncle.Ceruleanknight 2012-07-31 14:57:10  
Quiznor said: »
They said rune fencer is getting its own mythic,so it will likely be a GS from the pictures

Thanks for the answer, tho i hate the idea of "Mythic" cos its coming from ToAU lol.
 Carbuncle.Sanders
user: Sanders
By Carbuncle.Sanders 2012-07-31 14:57:43  
If I can't use my calad on it, I'm going to be very fking sad.
[+]
 Sylph.Kiaru
サーバ: Sylph
user: Shiyo
By Sylph.Kiaru 2012-07-31 15:00:58  
DNC step/flourish system is very interactive and requires you to pay attention the entire time. A charge stratagem type system doesn't. DNC type combat systems are much more interactive and user-based than a auto-regening resource.
[+]
 Phoenix.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Phoenix.Sehachan 2012-07-31 15:02:11  
Sylph.Kiaru said: »
DNC step/flourish system is very interactive and requires you to pay attention the entire time. A charge stratagem type system doesn't. DNC type combat systems are much more interactive and user-based than a auto-regening resource.
I only spoke with waltzes in mind, changed my statement when taking into consideration flourishes.
 Siren.Thoraeon
user: Thoraeon
By Siren.Thoraeon 2012-07-31 15:02:16  
Carbuncle.Sanders said: »
If I can't use my calad on it, I'm going to be very fking sad.
Unless it is 99, why would you want to use Caladbolg? OA2 ftw
 Phoenix.Urteil
user: Urteil89
By Phoenix.Urteil 2012-07-31 15:12:20  
To be fair (unless there is something I missed straight from Japan-land) it could just be a Sword?

As there are multiple mythic weapons of the same type: H2H, Sword, Dagger etc.

I also hope they revamp the jobs allowed to use empyreans/relics,

ie: DNC -> MANDAU, BLU -> EXCALIBUR, RNE -> RAGNAROK etc.
[+]
 Siren.Thoraeon
By Siren.Thoraeon 2012-07-31 15:15:02  
SE said their primary weapon would be Great Sword and they are also able to use swords, so kinda like a reverse PLD.

SE announced that Rune Fencer will receive it's own Mythic, and it will not be added to relics or magian weapons. (Emps are magian weapons before anyone asks.)
[+]
 Siren.Kalilla
VIP
By Siren.Kalilla 2012-07-31 15:17:20  
Carbuncle.Ceruleanknight said: »
Quiznor said: »

Thanks for the answer, tho i hate the idea of "Mythic" cos its coming from ToAU lol.
Sylow said something the other day that made it make sense, if I can find it.

Fenrir.Sylow said: »
There's also no reason to believe that Balrahn, a collector of extremely rare artifacts, and who was an extremely well-known and repsected political figure, would have had no contact with people from Adoulin and would not have attempted to collect artifacts related to Geomancers and Rune Fencers.

Also just because we don't know of a job as a playerbase - to me, it's always been pretty apparent through FFXI's writing that there myriad other schools of magic, styles of combat, and as a result, classes that probably exist in Vana'diel which may or may not be known to NPCs but not necessarily to us.

By now the name of Balrahn, great restorer of the Empire of Aht Urhgan, has resounded throughout Vana'diel, reaching the ears of all in the form of both history and legend. Blessed with multifarious talents and gifted in nearly every field of human endeavor, the tales of his exploits and travels have become an undying source of entertainment and delight. The restoration of the reign and dignity of the throne which he ushered in has earned him recognition as the greatest hero that empire has ever known. Though, we would of course be getting ahead of ourselves to posit that his grandeur or regality was on a scale with anything approaching that of our King Ranperre.

During his time on the throne, Balrahn garnered enormous respect amongst the people for his utter lack of interest in the superfluousness of royalty. The magnificent structures, the lush garments, the grand banquets… Rather, Balrahn was obsessed with, and dedicated himself wholeheartedly to, the amassing of rare and powerful weaponry. Indeed, the vast majority of valuable weapons stored in the Imperial armories are from his personal collection. These are weapons heralded to be unparalleled in their artistry in form and efficacy in battle.

However, according to an Imperial spy, the official ledger containing the list of those weapons, though guarded to the utmost and never permitted to pass through the palace gates, was obtained by subversive means and made known to the public. What degree of truth and significance can be ascribed to these entries? Could it possibly be some clever scheme on the part of the Empire to leak false information for its own ends? Or could this truly be an instance of espionage unprecedented in scale throughout history?

But for our purposes here, this is a moot point. The information has been made known, adventurer. Whatever action that knowledge may lead to is entirely in your hands now.

History teaches us that the misuse or misappropriation of weapons of this magnitude can only lead the most disastrous of consequences. We can only pray that a threat so great as to warrant their consideration for use will ever cast its shadow over our Aht Urhgan.
 Bismarck.Zagen
サーバ: Bismarck
user: Zagen
By Bismarck.Zagen 2012-07-31 15:17:30  
Siren.Thoraeon said: »
SE announced that Rune Fencer will receive it's own Mythic, and it will not be added to relics or magian weapons. (Emps are magian weapons before anyone asks.)
Hmm I'll have to check again but I swore when SE talked about the job they said it wouldn't be added to Relics or Emps but nothing was said about Magians, do you have a source for magians off hand by chance?
 Phoenix.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Phoenix.Sehachan 2012-07-31 15:19:22  
If they were on magians they'd be on empies...and they said no empy.
 Siren.Thoraeon
By Siren.Thoraeon 2012-07-31 15:21:35  
Bismarck.Zagen said: »
Siren.Thoraeon said: »
Hmm I'll have to check again but I swore when SE talked about the job they said it wouldn't be added to Relics or Emps but nothing was said about Magians, do you have a source for magians off hand by chance?

You might be right they didn't specifically mention Magian weapons, so there is still hope that Rune Fencer can use the OA2. :D

Link of what SE said.
[+]
 Siren.Kalilla
VIP
By Siren.Kalilla 2012-07-31 15:21:56  
I think they could still be on magian weapons, they only said the empy weapons were balanced for the jobs listed, not the rest of the trials.
 Bismarck.Zagen
サーバ: Bismarck
user: Zagen
By Bismarck.Zagen 2012-07-31 15:22:29  
Not necessarily... that's the point. How's that Staff Emp working out on BRD/RDM/WHM. I know they have their own but the point is jobs have been excluded from some Emps but not magian trials of the same weapon class. If it wasn't explicitly stated it's hearsay and conjecture at best.
 Phoenix.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Phoenix.Sehachan 2012-07-31 15:22:53  
But all jobs on magian weapons are on the empy too. It's pretty stupid to only give half access...
Guide Maker
By Seha 2012-07-31 15:23:16  
Bismarck.Zagen said: »
Not necessarily... that's the point. How's that Staff Emp working out on BRD/RDM/WHM. I know they have their own but the point is jobs have been excluded from some Emps but not magian trials of the same weapon class. If it wasn't explicitly stated it's hearsay and conjecture at best.
Forgot about staff.
First Page 2 3 4 5