users online
フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Ninja » Building Gear Sets for Casual NIN
Building Gear Sets for Casual NIN
 Quetzalcoatl.Krylon
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
Game: FFXI
user: AkiKrylon
By Quetzalcoatl.Krylon 2012-07-02 12:48:35  
I have always wanted to do this side project but never got around to it until now.

I have koga +2 hands/legs/feet ready and Iga head/legs + 2 items already obtained.

My main question comes to katanas: I have a few rare/ex katanas but don't know which to use.

Can I get away with hochomasamune/kamome? I also have Kogara.

As I said my NIN will be mostly casual/solo some Abyssea stuff. The biggest time sink I would deal with is doing an elemental ToM katana, though I'd rather avoid STR path because flame geodes are just ridiculous on my server right now -.-;

Gear that I have now/need to do minimal work to finish:

and

Any input is appreciated. Thanks for your time!
 Asura.Hotsoups
サーバ: Asura
user: Hotsoups
By Asura.Hotsoups 2012-07-02 19:19:04  
Although you can get away with Hochomasamune and the Kamome combo in abyssea, I would highly recommend going after that Strength Magian katana.

Expensive as it may be to upgrade, the STR magian katana is worth the time/effort to build. Even if you have to casually farm ifrit's cauldron during fire weather for flame geodes!
 Bahamut.Cuelebra
サーバ: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Cuelebra 2012-07-02 19:33:35  
There's a few katana's that are "OK" for main hand. They are definitely not the best. WS Dmg and Evasion are two quick magian katanas that you can solo in a day or two. If your super lazy just go pick up that AH one. Hochomasmune is ok... if you have the pop already.

In your jin set
Thunder earring >>> Centaurus Earring
Af3+2 pants >>>> Byakko's Haidate or Tumbler Trunks if you dont have Kitty Pants
 Asura.Hotsoups
By Asura.Hotsoups 2012-07-02 19:37:40  
People need to stop building that evasion Katana. Especially if it's for solo'd Abyssea content.
[+]
 Siren.Renavi
サーバ: Siren
user: Renavi
By Siren.Renavi 2012-07-02 19:42:19  
Epona's Ring instead of Uthalam's. Don't know if that's more than you were wanting to get though. D;
 Bahamut.Cuelebra
By Bahamut.Cuelebra 2012-07-02 19:42:21  
Asura.Hotsoups said: »
People need to stop building that evasion Katana. Especially if it's for solo'd Abyssea content.

The title of the thread is "Building Gear Sets for Casual NIN." He/she also stated they were trying to avoid the Katana STR/Attack path.

I had also said. "They are definitely not the best."

...reading is hard....
[+]
 Asura.Hotsoups
By Asura.Hotsoups 2012-07-02 19:45:56  
And you can casually build a better STR magian katana, where as you posted a Katana that essentially just has 50 base damage on it.
 Bahamut.Cuelebra
By Bahamut.Cuelebra 2012-07-02 19:49:27  
And you can casually build a better STR magian katana, where as you posted a Katana that essentially just has 50 base damage on it.

Ok your obviously not reading the OP. "I'd rather avoid STR path"

learn to read dude. its really not that hard.

if the guy doesnt want to make a STR katana who cares. its his job, its his account its his 12.99/month. evasion katana is fine for abyssea content. Its better than Hochomasamune. Its by far not the best but its better than hochomasune.
 Asura.Hotsoups
By Asura.Hotsoups 2012-07-02 19:52:45  
Oh I read that part, but his reasoning which (I also read), was gil. Flame geodes can be farmed, can be slowly obtained, can be worked for over time. Telling him that it is a good investment and that he shouldn't overlook it.

You on the other hand, are suggesting a katana that in my opinion... Sucks.
 Ramuh.Austar
サーバ: Ramuh
user: Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2012-07-02 19:54:38  
Just get a kakesu and offhand kamome for abyssea, don't waste time on any magian that isn't STR.
[+]
 Bahamut.Cuelebra
By Bahamut.Cuelebra 2012-07-02 19:56:33  
Oh I read that part, but his reasoning which (I also read), was gil. Flame geodes can be farmed, can be slowly obtained, can be worked for over time. Telling him that it is a good investment and that he shouldn't overlook it.

You are on the other hand, are suggesting a katana that in my opinion... Sucks.

If its strictly gil issues yah he can farm it. If its time AND gil- then it becomes a different matter. We all know STR katana cannot be done in a day. Unless you get super lucky with weather.
 Phoenix.Suji
サーバ: Phoenix
user: suji
By Phoenix.Suji 2012-07-02 20:34:27  
Oirandori should edge out over Kakesu most of the time as well as significantly benefit whomever else is in your party/alliance.
 Quetzalcoatl.Krylon
By Quetzalcoatl.Krylon 2012-07-03 08:08:11  
Thanks for all the responses - and my apologies for starting a little scuffle here xD

Main reason I wanted to avoid STR path was because I just finished my Fire Shikargar for Blue Mage and

1) i'm so sick of waiting for freaking fire weather *FUUUU face*
2) there are a ton of other things I'm trying to do right now and play time is slightly limited - the last thing I have time for is sitting in freaking IC waiting for fire weather -.-;

I could always buy the geodes but like I said this is just casual for now and its not high on my list of other crap I need (grocery list long....)

I do realize that STR ToM is probably the best option outside kik/kannagi but I was just looking for something quick and cheap to use in the interim.

----------------------------------

Also, please correct me if I'm wrong - I read that Shun > Jin so I was planning on building based on that assumption.

So overall, Kakesu/Kamome or Hochomasamune/Kamome are decent choices is what I'm gathering.

Edit: Yes, Epona's is on the list of must-gets not only for NIN but for every other job I have xD
 Ragnarok.Gunit
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Gunit
By Ragnarok.Gunit 2012-07-03 09:08:53  

Can change ammo based on buffs/abyssea.
Set changes when Marchs/Embrava up.
 Asura.Hotsoups
By Asura.Hotsoups 2012-07-03 09:44:25  
Shun is great outside of abyssea, Jin is better inside.
 Odin.Rikiyame
サーバ: Odin
user: Rikiyame
By Odin.Rikiyame 2012-07-06 06:59:42  
Kamome/Ban is the highest DPS unless Oirandori can average a sustained 10% increased crit rate.

Notes on it:
"Lowers enemy critical hit evasion" appears to give Critical Hit Rate+10~15%. It cannot overwrite itself, has approximately a 10% proc rate, and lasts for 30 seconds.

Edit: And Patentia Sash depending on the DW. 4+ beats Twilight.
 Quetzalcoatl.Krylon
By Quetzalcoatl.Krylon 2012-07-06 08:03:29  
Odin.Rikiyame said: »
Kamome/Ban is the highest DPS unless Oirandori can average a sustained 10% increased crit rate.

Notes on it:
"Lowers enemy critical hit evasion" appears to give Critical Hit Rate+10~15%. It cannot overwrite itself, has approximately a 10% proc rate, and lasts for 30 seconds.

Edit: And Patentia Sash depending on the DW. 4+ beats Twilight.

Please don't take this as me being offensive but - is there any truth to this? Maybe I'm just too far outside the NIN circle but I barely knew that Ban existed much less ever heard anyone mention it xD

I can see how 180/160 delay makes you swing like a freaking beast but Kakesu is 53 base dmg while Kamome is 39 - thats a huge difference. Does the extra DPS make up for the lower WS dmg?
 Odin.Sheelay
user: Sheelay
By Odin.Sheelay 2012-07-06 08:36:53  
And thus, a thread started for casual gearing turned into another Pro or gtfo thread.
[+]
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2012-07-06 08:38:48  
Kakesu's delay is pretty bad. You're not only losing white damage, you're decreasing WS frequency by using it instead of Ban.
 Quetzalcoatl.Krylon
By Quetzalcoatl.Krylon 2012-07-06 08:41:58  
@ Sheelay - I wanted to keep this as light hearted as possible >.>; Not looking to be uber awesome, just effective.

Fenrir.Nightfyre said: »
Kakesu's delay is pretty bad. You're not only losing white damage, you're decreasing WS frequency by using it instead of Ban.

I'll have to try out Kamome/Ban tonight then...
By Peldin 2012-07-21 22:01:50  
Quote:
Flame geodes can be farmed, can be slowly obtained, can be worked for over time. Telling him that it is a good investment and that he shouldn't overlook it.
Briareus helms can be farmed, can be slowly obtained, can be worked for over time. Then just grab (or 2-box) a whm for sobek skins (or pay someone to farm them for you).

I won't say it for certain, but I'd be willing to bet that you can farm an 85 kannagi faster than a 99 str Arisui. Of course I'm a fairly casual ninja myself so not even sure if 85 kannagi is as good.

TL;DR - Peldin has nothing factual to say.
 Siren.Seiri
サーバ: Siren
user: seiri
By Siren.Seiri 2012-07-21 22:45:16  
Peldin said: »
Quote:
Flame geodes can be farmed, can be slowly obtained, can be worked for over time. Telling him that it is a good investment and that he shouldn't overlook it.
Briareus helms can be farmed, can be slowly obtained, can be worked for over time. Then just grab (or 2-box) a whm for sobek skins (or pay someone to farm them for you).

I won't say it for certain, but I'd be willing to bet that you can farm an 85 kannagi faster than a 99 str Arisui. Of course I'm a fairly casual ninja myself so not even sure if 85 kannagi is as good.

Faster than a str katana? Depends on luck with fire weather/kill speed on firesday, but I'd wager that soloing either the fire path would be quicker. That said, the difference wouldn't be huge and 85 nagi is better.

Small note also, with practice its plenty possible to solo sobek as nin.

Edit: OP has blu, decent eva/haste hybrid = easy sobek solo...seriously.

For gear..Eponas is a no-brainer. Might already have for ur blu. For jin, aias bonnet is better at least (8str/dex vs just 12dex). Centaurus earring for WS as was said, and byakkos haidate for WS also (crit dmg augs go)

As for dual wield vs haste...dual wield gives decreasing returns the more you stack, haste gives increasing returns so 4 DW does NOT beat twilight belt unless haste is capped. I'm also doubtful that relic 7% dual wield beats the 4.4%~ haste ur missing from capped in ur tp set, so maybe af3+2 legs and usuk feet? (dunno how obtainable usuk is for u atm)
 Odin.Rikiyame
user: Rikiyame
By Odin.Rikiyame 2012-07-21 23:13:05  
Siren.Seiri said: »
Peldin said: »
Quote:

Faster than a str katana? Depends on luck with fire weather/kill speed on firesday, but I'd wager that soloing either the fire path would be quicker. That said, the difference wouldn't be huge and 85 nagi is better.

Small note also, with practice its plenty possible to solo sobek as nin.

Edit: OP has blu, decent eva/haste hybrid = easy sobek solo...seriously.

For gear..Eponas is a no-brainer. Might already have for ur blu. For jin, aias bonnet is better at least (8str/dex vs just 12dex). Centaurus earring for WS as was said, and byakkos haidate for WS also (crit dmg augs go)

As for dual wield vs haste...dual wield gives decreasing returns the more you stack, haste gives increasing returns so 4 DW does NOT beat twilight belt unless haste is capped. I'm also doubtful that relic 7% dual wield beats the 4.4%~ haste ur missing from capped in ur tp set, so maybe af3+2 legs and usuk feet? (dunno how obtainable usuk is for u atm)

Iga+2 are 148.993 DPS and Koga+2 are 160.077 DPS. Also, Nusku's over Twilight will net you 3 more DPS. Capped haste isn't always best. Swap in for Utsu.
 Leviathan.Kincard
サーバ: Leviathan
user: Kincard
By Leviathan.Kincard 2012-07-24 09:02:29  
Kamome/Ban is a good choice for people "casually" gearing NIN.

I don't get why people always suggest the STR Magian weapon for any people trying to gear a certain job "casually" (By that I interpret it as you gearing your 5th or 6th job or something and really arn't bothering to focus much on it)- with flame geodes at 50-70k each, you're looking at around 3.3M just to get it from 85-95. 3.3M isn't a massive amount by any means, but it's certainly a nice chunk that I'm sure is more than anybody trying to gear a job "casually" would be willing to spend. And wow, farm flame geodes yourself?mTrying to get geodes to drop on days is like pulling teeth and chasing fire weather is headache-inducing. Might as well just go the extra mile and farm Briareus/Sobek, at least those have very consistent progression, and you can do them at your leisure.

I will agree the AGI katana is pretty lol though. It was great when magians were first introduced, sure wish I didn't waste so much time getting two of the damn things now.

Quote:
dual wield gives decreasing returns

Nope!
By Peldin 2012-07-26 04:54:42  
Quote:
Attack gives decreasing returns too. Anyone who says otherwise is just trolling you.

Cerberus.Detzu
サーバ: Cerberus
user: Detzu
By Cerberus.Detzu 2012-07-26 06:20:42  
Leviathan.Kincard said: »
Kamome/Ban is a good choice for people "casually" gearing NIN.

I don't get why people always suggest the STR Magian weapon for any people trying to gear a certain job "casually" (By that I interpret it as you gearing your 5th or 6th job or something and really arn't bothering to focus much on it)- with flame geodes at 50-70k each, you're looking at around 3.3M just to get it from 85-95. 3.3M isn't a massive amount by any means, but it's certainly a nice chunk that I'm sure is more than anybody trying to gear a job "casually" would be willing to spend. And wow, farm flame geodes yourself?mTrying to get geodes to drop on days is like pulling teeth and chasing fire weather is headache-inducing. Might as well just go the extra mile and farm Briareus/Sobek, at least those have very consistent progression, and you can do them at your leisure.

I will agree the AGI katana is pretty lol though. It was great when magians were first introduced, sure wish I didn't waste so much time getting two of the damn things now.

Quote:

Nope!

I think he's talking about the decrease of store TP since dual wield is not considered as haste but as delay reduction.