Does Anyone Main WHM Anymore?

言語: JP EN DE FR
2010-06-21
New Items
users online
フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » White Mage » Does anyone main WHM anymore?
Does anyone main WHM anymore?
First Page 2 3
 Siren.Sugarpanda
サーバ: Siren
Game: FFXI
By Siren.Sugarpanda 2012-05-09 13:33:23  
It seems that WHM is a dying breed unless you're someone's mule.
Does someone still consider themselves as career whms?
 Cerberus.Tikal
サーバ: Cerberus
user: Tikal
By Cerberus.Tikal 2012-05-09 13:36:08  
Lots of folks. Usually they're WHMs from beginning to end, with other jobs they only play to have a little fun. That's my experience at least.
[+]
By Artemicion 2012-05-09 13:37:18  
Luckily I think the recent formula change that emphasized on healing magic skill brought out the best in white mages. I for one loved the class more than any other mage type; and now that the formula and derivatives have changed, I may very well exchange my elemental and enfeebling merits for healing and enhancing.
There's nothing more satisfying than keeping everyone live while simultaneously being efficient and staying alive.
By baghore 2012-05-09 13:37:55  
I do, WHM was my first job i leveled to 75 and then 99. my other jobs are 99NIN and BLM. but mainly if i am not farming, then i am on my whm.
By baghore 2012-05-09 13:39:17  
i love WHM. btw ^^

Undelete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
By Artemicion 2012-05-09 13:42:09  
Though... with the fully trialed Empyreal harp offering 4 songs, and the diminished timeline and difficulty of obtaining a relic, I may very well dedicate myself to bard if I ever come back into the game. Tough call.
 Siren.Xenophire
user: Xenophire
By Siren.Xenophire 2012-05-09 13:43:53  
Ever since I made a WHM mule, I've always come DD to events or to anything else. VW shouts always want emps, so I'm going WAR or COR often, which I don't mind. I love the jobs.

However, I do find myself every now and then, wanting to play my WHM again. Haha.
[+]
 Siren.Fupafighters
By Siren.Fupafighters 2012-05-09 13:44:33  
Artemicion said: »
Though... with the fully trialed Empyreal harp offering 4 songs, and the diminished timeline and difficulty of obtaining a relic, I may very well dedicate myself to bard if I ever come back into the game. Tough call.
Tis still a trip to get a 99 empy. Heavy metal stocks suck...
By Artemicion 2012-05-09 13:46:46  
Siren.Fupafighters said: »
Tis still a trip to get a 99 empy. Heavy metal stocks suck...

Oh I could imagine. I'm just at ends with the spectrum of utility and awesomeness between healing and buffing. If only the merit caps let us dedicate to at least two classes with subskills necessary for optimization.
 Siren.Kalilla
VIP
user: Kalila
By Siren.Kalilla 2012-05-09 13:48:13  
I really only like being whm in this game, other games I end up choosing an archer or a dagger class. This game brings something special to WHM for me, and I can't quite pick out what exactly it is.

I love the outfits compared to other jobs, I love that we still have the ability to deal damage with clubs when we want to have some fun, but I really enjoy the aspect of focusing constantly on your allies to make sure they not only stay alive but have the buffs and enhancements they need to do their jobs better.

I think I also would love playing BRD, but I also have a fear that I'll never be anything else but BRD to this day so I haven't leveled it very much.
[+]
 Asura.Krysanthia
サーバ: Asura
user: krysi
By Asura.Krysanthia 2012-05-09 13:50:00  
I love my whm! But like all the other career whm's it's nice to shake it up a bit with other jobs and doing other things with different people and in different areas.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Ashman
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2012-05-09 13:52:24  
Siren.Kalilla said: »
but I also have a fear that I'll never be anything else but BRD to this day so I haven't leveled it very much.

I believe those days are over. I would say the only reason NOT to level brd anymore would be inventory issues. That can easily be remedied by making a horn and a harp.
 Siren.Kalilla
VIP
By Siren.Kalilla 2012-05-09 13:53:22  
Ragnarok.Ashman said: »
but I also have a fear that I'll never be anything else but BRD to this day so I haven't leveled it very much.

I believe those days are over. I would say the only reason NOT to level brd anymore would be inventory issues. That can easily be remedied by making a horn and a harp.
You may be right, I probably should level it and stop thinking like that.
 Sylph.Kiaru
サーバ: Sylph
user: Shiyo
By Sylph.Kiaru 2012-05-09 13:54:23  
There aren't any events in this game that require mages to not be afk or challenge them enough that a mule can't do their job at 95% efficiency. Game is too easy to have fun as a mage main, especially the easiest/most boring mage in the game(WHM), so I don't really see how there would be many WHM mains left.

Maybe once they start releasing actual content that isn't zerg zerg zerg zerg embrava or zerg zerg zerg fanatics fools we'll start seeing people playing mage/support mains again?

I'm personally SCH main and love it over any other job, but I rarely have to do much at all inside of nyzul or VW. I only have to cure in VW if the group is horrible or has horrible luck, and people still think SCH's can't cure so I end up just proccing/nuking ~_~. Nyzul doesn't really challenge me but at least you can tell the difference between a herpa derp mage and a bad one inside there by how much attention they pay to buffs/debuffs/mob tp moves and needing to -na/erase/cure/accession cure(sleep)/sleepga etc. Yay for actually having to pay attention...
 Ragnarok.Ashman
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2012-05-09 13:54:32  

Btw, since when do you have whm?
 Siren.Demetreos
user: Riggy
By Siren.Demetreos 2012-05-09 13:58:27  
Siren.Sugarpanda said: »
It seems that WHM is a dying breed unless you're someone's mule.
Does someone still consider themselves as career whms?
I'm more or less WHM onry, still.

I've been crazy busy this last week btw, that's why I've not been on.
 Siren.Demetreos
user: Riggy
By Siren.Demetreos 2012-05-09 14:00:13  
GDI, double post :3
 Siren.Kalilla
VIP
By Siren.Kalilla 2012-05-09 14:00:58  

Btw, since when do you have whm?
I picked WAR when I started the game, got that to 30 (and deleveled it to 29 which is where it's still at today), thought I'd like SMN so leveled that to 30'ish, and my subjob was lacking horribly so I decided to level WHM as a sub and get it to 37 so I wouldn't have to stop leveling SMN to level a sub again.

Well, I got it to 37 and kept going and never looked back. Was a main WHM for about 4-5 years until I seriously picked up another job, sam, which I enjoyed but was horrible at. Tried to level RDM a bit but Abyssea came before I ever got it to level 50, and since then I've just burned jobs I've wanted which haven't been very many.
 Odin.Eikechi
サーバ: Odin
user: Eike
By Odin.Eikechi 2012-05-09 14:02:07  
Sylph.Kiaru said: »
There aren't any events in this game that require mages to not be afk or challenge them enough that a mule can't do their job at 95% efficiency. Game is too easy to have fun as a mage main, especially the easiest/most boring mage in the game(WHM), so I don't really see how there would be many WHM mains left.

Maybe once they start releasing actual content that isn't zerg zerg zerg zerg embrava or zerg zerg zerg fanatics fools we'll start seeing people playing mage/support mains again?

I'm personally SCH main and love it over any other job, but I rarely have to do much at all inside of nyzul or VW. I only have to cure in VW if the group is horrible or has horrible luck, and people still think SCH's can't cure so I end up just proccing/nuking ~_~. Nyzul doesn't really challenge me but at least you can tell the difference between a herpa derp mage and a bad one inside there by how much attention they pay to buffs/debuffs/mob tp moves and needing to -na/erase/cure/accession cure(sleep)/sleepga etc. Yay for actually having to pay attention...

You basically said the same thing about bsts too and the "lack of challenge" in this game >_<. Why do you still play then? I mean it's your money, so it's whatever, but I'm curious.
 Siren.Kalilla
VIP
By Siren.Kalilla 2012-05-09 14:05:47  
most boring mage in the game(WHM)
I don't find it boring at all unless I'm standing around doing nothing.
[+]
By Artemicion 2012-05-09 14:09:00  

Problem is, the game has always been like this when it comes to fighting NMs with relatively high difficulty or HP.
Remember in 2004, when the solution was "throw 18 BLMs at it!", then with the souleater exploits several years later, it became "throw 18 DRKs at it!". The only difference is we have more tools to do the same strategy more effectively, and luckily more diversely.
The game never really was "challenging" per say other than a challenger of your patience and working with efficiency in terms of lowmanning. To me, that's where the real fun is. Finding a (smaller) group of dedicated friends and seeing what you can get away with. No frustration of random PUGs and idiotic tendencies from random people that can potentially ruin an entire run.
[+]
By Artemicion 2012-05-09 14:11:42  
most boring mage in the game(WHM)
I don't find it boring at all unless I'm standing around doing nothing.

White mage was already fun for me, but I can only imagine what it would be like to have a Mjolnir and an optimal Mystic Boon gearset. Granted it would be situational in scarcity at best, but it would most certainly be fun.
[+]
 Odin.Sawtelle
サーバ: Odin
user: tooheyv
By Odin.Sawtelle 2012-05-09 14:18:03  
I main whm in PvP :3
 Bahamut.Xiutaru
サーバ: Bahamut
user: etherue
By Bahamut.Xiutaru 2012-05-09 14:22:31  
I am actually more of a career WHM now than I was back then. Way before Abyssea, my LS had other WHMs which allowed more flexibility for other members during events, so I usually found myself on other jobs. But after things changed and members quit the game, I slowly ended up being the only LS WHM available. A couple of other members have it leveled now, but they only go WHM when I'm not too lazy to job change <.< or when I trust them enough. Also, my shell members don't really have WHM mules at their disposal, nor a means to box them if they did.
 Sylph.Kiaru
サーバ: Sylph
user: Shiyo
By Sylph.Kiaru 2012-05-09 14:26:51  

Problem is, the game has always been like this when it comes to fighting NMs with relatively high difficulty or HP.
Remember in 2004, when the solution was "throw 18 BLMs at it!", then with the souleater exploits several years later, it became "throw 18 DRKs at it!". The only difference is we have more tools to do the same strategy more effectively, and luckily more diversely.
The game never really was "challenging" per say other than a challenger of your patience and working with efficiency in terms of lowmanning. To me, that's where the real fun is. Finding a (smaller) group of dedicated friends and seeing what you can get away with. No frustration of random PUGs and idiotic tendencies from random people that can potentially ruin an entire run.

The difference is, while lowmanning(which is what I always did @ 75) and killing things with 4-6 competent players was fun as hell and challenging, it's almost impossible to do that now. Some VW nm's almost require 18 people just to be killed(why so much hp??), and the fact you'd get 0 drops without having most of the procs is beyond HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE, you could kill byakko with 3 people and have a TH mule and have the same chance of getting drops as 18 people killing it. They have designed every event to REQUIRE the amount of people they want it to, which is very unfun because they can't tune encounters/events to be challenging and balanced at all.

There's also the matter of so much more refresh gear being added that you basically ignore you have a MP pool, especially in events like VW. I almost never have to use convert and I spam nukes/cures/everything 24/7. It really takes a lot of fun out of playing a mage when everything either dies in 1-2 WS(Nyzul) or everyone is immune to all damage(VW), and the fact you don't even have to manage MP means you're basically sitting there bored out of your mind. If nyzul wasn't 95% about movement I would basically be alt tabbed the entire time doing nyzul.

How is it ok that either things 1 shot everyone within 10-20 yards range of it if fanatics are down, or it dies in 1-2 WS? Can't we get a happy medium? Unhealable damage is boring for mages, so is not having to heal at all, I wish SE actually would pay some people to test their content for them on the test server before releasing it to the public.
 Cerberus.Tikal
By Cerberus.Tikal 2012-05-09 14:34:01  
Quote:
Can't we get a happy medium?
Tanaka:
 Cerberus.Senkyuutai
user: Yuffy
By Cerberus.Senkyuutai 2012-05-09 14:34:19  

^

Those days are over since 2009 or so.

Also, if you are good at a job in general, you will be asked to come as said job, no matter what else you have, people usually make it so that you come as this job because you are good at it.

Only time I ever used my BRD was when people thought they were hot ***because they had an Ukon, didn't take long to fix this, though.

I wish SE actually would pay some people to test their content for them on the test server before releasing it to the public.
They are called QA and are the same people that allow items with japanese description to slip by in the english client.

Do you really think these people would have a single clue or even better, one gram of credibility when judging if whether an event is balanced or not?

Cerberus.Tikal
By Cerberus.Tikal 2012-05-09 14:36:47  
I'm hot ***. You're coming to Nyzul on BRD from now on Senk. Ok? Ok.
 Bismarck.Cicada
サーバ: Bismarck
user: Narshee
By Bismarck.Cicada 2012-05-09 14:37:05  
Before I quit I decided to become WHM main. I enjoyed playing it very much. When I was bored I would join random seal shouts just to heal. lol Sad to say though, I never got to play it much outside of abyssea so I probably sucked without atma. :/
First Page 2 3