フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » White Mage » [dev1087] Job Adjustments: White Mage
[dev1087] Job Adjustments: White Mage
 Leviathan.Hohenheim
サーバ: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
user: Hohenheim
By Leviathan.Hohenheim 2012-02-18 16:25:01  
Siren.Eclipstic said: »
i honestly hope this is a non-sellable item. either a rediculous quest or EX spell. gil is easily obtainable these days and it's just lame to see so many people buy their way through this game selling dynamis currency.

as opposed to having 1 ls leader *** it for their relic or hold it in an ls bank until they decided to server transfer.
 Siren.Kalilla
VIP
サーバ: Siren
user: Kalila
By Siren.Kalilla 2012-02-22 13:53:02  
02-22-2012 01:37 PM
[source]
Camate
Community Rep

Greetings! I’d like to share some feedback in regards additional comments we have seen related to Araise.

• Getting rid of weakness
    We don’t have any plans to completely remove the weakness death penalty, so we decided to shorten the weakness time.

• Making it an AoE
    We looked into this at first, but the system for Raise is unique amongst magic, and we were unable to do this as it’s not possible for magic to select and target dead characters.

• Making a separate “short weakness” Raise and a Raise “with Reraise effect added”
    Araise was primarily designed with the former in mind. In other words, the main special effect of this spell is the short weakness time and the secondary effect is the added Reraise element. If it is not necessary, we can cut out the Reraise. We were not looking to create a Raise spell that had Reraise added to it, so we are not thinking to create this type of spell separately.

There have also been comments saying to just make Araise be Raise IV. While we do not have any plans currently for implementing a Raise IV, if we were to make the spell, I believe it would have effects such as 5 minute weakness, increased HP amount when raised (or possibly full HP recovery), and zero xp loss.

• XP Loss
    The same as Raise III, Araise will return 90% of the experience points that were lost.

Subscribe
 Siren.Kalilla
VIP
By Siren.Kalilla 2012-02-22 13:54:20  
Ignored about changing Araise to Arise :(

It makes no sense... Araise was never in any of the Final Fantasy games yet Arise was in almost every single one.

I get that they might not want to stick with Arise since they were unable to make the spell AoE, but I don't feel like that is a valid reason to change it to something like... Araise.

Sounds so stupid :(
 Ragnarok.Kongming
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: koumei
By Ragnarok.Kongming 2012-02-22 14:25:26  
There's always the possibility they change the name for the official release, like Aura and Merton got changed to whatever they are now (I don't even know). The JP is "A-Raise" and has been for every iteration, making it an easy call back for JP gamers. The same can't be said for English speakers since the spell has been called anything from LIF2, Life 2, Full-Life, Arise... all of them invariably falling flat as a meaningful translation in this instance.

On a side note, isn't their excuse for not making it AOE that it would be too much work for them to create new code? I've read it like 10 times and all I can get from it is "we'd have to actually do some work to make it AOE".
 Siren.Kalilla
VIP
By Siren.Kalilla 2012-02-22 14:29:10  
Ragnarok.Kongming said: »
There's always the possibility they change the name for the official release, like Aura and Merton got changed to whatever they are now (I don't even know). The JP is "A-Raise" and has been for every iteration, making it an easy call back for JP gamers. The same can't be said for English speakers since the spell has been called anything from LIF2, Life 2, Full-Life, Arise... all of them invariably falling flat as a meaningful translation in this instance.

On a side note, isn't their excuse for not making it AOE that it would be too much work for them to create new code? I've read it like 10 times and all I can get from it is "we'd have to actually do some work to make it AOE".
Yea... lol

All they would have to do is make it an AoE spell that people within 10 yalms and are in your alliance will be hit with Arise (Raise III equivilant).

If they aren't dead, they gain Reraise III. If they are dead they get up and get Reraise III.

Then again... The code they use for that game is so messed up... like just how they broke the mouse recently.

Also Arise is called LIF2/Life 2 and Full-Life in almost every FF game with a variation between the use depending on the game. I didn't know that the japanese versions were "A-raise" which explains why it is called that now. I hope they correct it :x
 Cerberus.Tikal
サーバ: Cerberus
user: Tikal
By Cerberus.Tikal 2012-02-22 14:34:09  
Quote:
Araise was primarily designed with the former in mind. In other words, the main special effect of this spell is the short weakness time and the secondary effect is the added Reraise element. If it is not necessary, we can cut out the Reraise. We were not looking to create a Raise spell that had Reraise added to it, so we are not thinking to create this type of spell separately.

Don't like it? Well we'll punish you for disagreeing.
[+]
 Siren.Kalilla
VIP
By Siren.Kalilla 2012-02-22 18:24:38  
Wow... the official forums just got a bit more stupid for me.

A Dev Team member's posts does not go into the Dev Tracker, so they responded to my concerns 3 days ago without me realizing it.

~.~;;; just wtf

02-19-2012 08:22 PM
[source]
Susuthamnes
Dev Team

Hi Edyth,

Thank you for compiling this feedback.
What happened here was simply a case of a temporary development name slipping through on the test server.

All of the opinions you quote are right on target, of course, and you (and the rest of the community) can rest assured that the spell will be renamed for the official release.

Thanks for keeping us on our toes!
Subscribe

Araise will in fact be changed to Arise before final release.

Fix your forums SE...
 Phoenix.Bomber
サーバ: Phoenix
user: Bomber
By Phoenix.Bomber 2012-02-22 18:44:01  
Siren.Kalilla said: »
Wow... the official forums just got a bit more stupid for me.

A Dev Team member's posts does not go into the Dev Tracker, so they responded to my concerns 3 days ago without me realizing it.

~.~;;; just wtf

02-19-2012 08:22 PM
[source]
Susuthamnes
Dev Team

Hi Edyth,

Thank you for compiling this feedback.
What happened here was simply a case of a temporary development name slipping through on the test server.

All of the opinions you quote are right on target, of course, and you (and the rest of the community) can rest assured that the spell will be renamed for the official release.

Thanks for keeping us on our toes!
Subscribe

Araise will in fact be changed to Arise before final release.

Fix your forums SE...
The BALANCE is working as intended!
 Siren.Kalilla
VIP
By Siren.Kalilla 2012-02-22 18:45:29  
lol, but seriously there is a whole section of information I haven't been reading because this Dev's post isn't apart of the Dev Tracker.

Nothing too important, but interesting information regardless.
 Bismarck.Gaspee
サーバ: Bismarck
user: Gaspee
By Bismarck.Gaspee 2012-02-22 18:47:56  
lol, but seriously there is a whole section of information I haven't been reading because this Dev's post isn't apart of the Dev Tracker.

I've reported problems before in the "localization" thread, and found that particular member of SE to be quite informative and helpful.

I know, shocking...
 Siren.Kalilla
VIP
By Siren.Kalilla 2012-02-22 18:49:59  
Bismarck.Gaspee said: »

I've reported problems before in the "localization" thread, and found that particular member of SE to be quite informative and helpful.

I know, shocking...
Yea, I was just reading the tidbit on Sauromugue Champaign and it was interesting. Nothing important but I find it interesting.
 Siren.Kalilla
VIP
By Siren.Kalilla 2012-02-23 17:51:23  
02-23-2012 01:56 PM
[source]
Camate
Community Rep

With tomorrow’s test server update, it will be possible to cast Arise. Please be sure to check out the recast time, MP cost, etc.

There have been some requests asking to make characters that have just been revived invincible for a short time. Not just for Arise, but as an adjustment to Raise overall, we will try and see whether or not we can eliminate the damage from AoE attacks during the raise animation. In other words, we need to confirm whether it is possible. This will take some time and it is very possible that the result is that it is not possible, so we appreciate your understanding if this turns out to be the case.
Subscribe
 Siren.Kalilla
VIP
By Siren.Kalilla 2012-02-23 17:52:13  
I am VERY shocked they are considering the invincible suggestion made the other day.
 Phoenix.Sehachan
Guide Maker
サーバ: Phoenix
user: Seha
By Phoenix.Sehachan 2012-02-23 17:53:16  
The raise animation is one of the most awful things in the game. So much for timing when to get up and by the time the animation ends the mob has done 2 or 3 more tp moves/spells.
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
user: Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2012-02-23 17:54:06  
I'd be happy if they'd just make it so you don't derp for 5 seconds putting your weapons away before you can start running away.
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Siren.Kalilla
VIP
By Siren.Kalilla 2012-02-23 17:57:34  
If they can add Reraise, they could add a status that does the job. Like when you use fanatics/fools but at the same time.

This of course would be a timer, and probably the opposite of what they are intending to do.
 Bismarck.Zuidar
user: Radiuz
By Bismarck.Zuidar 2012-02-23 17:57:56  
So now people are gonna create " Arise chicken " macros in anticipation to the new Arise spell x.x.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Wakmidget
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
By Quetzalcoatl.Wakmidget 2012-02-23 19:28:05  
Bismarck.Zuidar said: »
So now people are gonna create " Arise chicken " macros in anticipation to the new Arise spell x.x.

"[Arise], my child! And stand before the seat of God."
 Ragnarok.Kongming
user: koumei
By Ragnarok.Kongming 2012-02-24 04:09:05  
Nice to see the localization problem has been cleared up..

I did some digging when I first read this, as problems in JP>EN translation generally interest me, and this is what I came up with (just in case anyone is interested ^- ^;)

Basically, the problem originates from FF1 when nomenclature for white and black magic spells were separate. Elemental spells followed the more familiar pattern of Fire > Fi-ra > Fi-ga > Fi-ja; White magic had a different pattern of Cure > Cur-a > Cur-da > Cur-ga. (-ra -ga -ja vs. -a -da -ga being the important points here)

Two white magics, Dia and Raise, deviated even from that pattern in which the suffix was changed into a prefix, namely:
dia > a-dia > da-dia > ga-dia
and
raise > a-raise,
the reason being that dia-a and raise-a are prohibitively difficult to pronounce, or at the very least do not flow well in phonetic Japanese, as well as most other languages.

Since FF2, cure spells have done damage to undead monsters, eliminating the need for the spell Dia (though it's been reintroduced in FF11). As such, "a-raise" is the only spell left in the series that bears remnants of the old naming system.

"A-raise" has since appeared in every main-sequence title and despite its origins, would be considered irreplaceable as part of general FF lore. At least for JPs.

The rest of the equation has to do with character limitations in translation, (why LIF2(NES) became Life2(SNES) and then Full-Life(PS1)), and why they finally settled on Arise because it's close to Araise and yet not as grammatically horrible; it sounds good, and well, "let's just go with it!"........ I was going to end with "the rest is history" but somehow, I think I missed my exit.

.......the rest is history.
 Bismarck.Sylow
By Bismarck.Sylow 2012-02-24 04:31:51  
If they can add Reraise, they could add a status that does the job. Like when you use fanatics/fools but at the same time.

This of course would be a timer, and probably the opposite of what they are intending to do.

That's exactly what I was thinking, lol.
 Siren.Thoraeon
user: Thoraeon
By Siren.Thoraeon 2012-02-24 11:31:53  
Any info on spell cost, etc? (Test server got updated today I think.)

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Dominico
サーバ: Carbuncle
By Carbuncle.Dominico 2012-02-24 11:37:58  
Phoenix.Sehachan said: »
The raise animation is one of the most awful things in the game. So much for timing when to get up and by the time the animation ends the mob has done 2 or 3 more tp moves/spells.

It's easy enough to fix just by implementing something thats in most FPS: spawn protection. Just make it so that your character is invincible to all forms of damage until the animation is complete and we're set.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Hiku
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: squirrel
By Lakshmi.Hiku 2012-02-24 14:48:51  
In Regards to Temporary invincibility for people getting up and dieing during animation:

I just had a random thought of how SE could do something like this.. What if they made the status of "Weakness" like sentinel, in that it gives a damage reduction that decreases over time. Aka: As soon as you get up, you have 100% damage reduction, which lasts for say 5 seconds, then the damage reduction effect drops to 0%, giving you time to get up and at least a fighting chance in running out of range of TP moves.
 Ragnarok.Taereon
user: Halo4
By Ragnarok.Taereon 2012-02-24 14:58:51  
Raiseskin. I like it.
 Cerberus.Yannie
サーバ: Cerberus
user: TheYannie
By Cerberus.Yannie 2012-02-24 15:00:36  
Bismarck.Zuidar said: »

I am. Sofa king. We Todd Ed.
 Siren.Thoraeon
user: Thoraeon
By Siren.Thoraeon 2012-02-24 15:05:05  
Lakshmi.Hiku said: »
In Regards to Temporary invincibility for people getting up and dieing during animation:

I just had a random thought of how SE could do something like this.. What if they made the status of "Weakness" like sentinel, in that it gives a damage reduction that decreases over time. Aka: As soon as you get up, you have 100% damage reduction, which lasts for say 5 seconds, then the damage reduction effect drops to 0%, giving you time to get up and at least a fighting chance in running out of range of TP moves.
That would mess with too many things. Think of all the TP moves that inflict weakness. It would also be exploitable with zombie-ing tactics.
By Latifah 2012-02-24 15:06:45  
Siren.Thoraeon said: »
Lakshmi.Hiku said: »

That would mess with too many things. Think of all the TP moves that inflict weakness. It would also be exploitable with zombie-ing tactics.
not if they disable attacking/magic casting in that 5 secs of immunity