フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Red Mage » RDM merits
RDM merits
 Carbuncle.Burkey
サーバ: Carbuncle
Game: FFXI
user: Burkey
By Carbuncle.Burkey 2012-01-23 07:14:14  
hello newly obtained rdm asking for merit advice~

group 1 im thinking mainly ice/earth macc for slowII/paraII?

group 2 i wanted bioIII/diaIII/slowII/paraII/phalanxII but not sure how to break that up

i think convert recast is kinda negligible now what with abyssea/voidwatch, but not sure if i should be using other macc merits than ice and earth. id get blindII to have all of group 2 but not sure where i should spend the points in group 2. ive heard many rdms just have slowII/paraII/bioIII also. mainly just lookin to have a more fun mage job other than cure bombing on my whm...plus i think slowII sounds pretty fkin sweet

anyway, tldr; what are your merits?
 Sylph.Siccmade
サーバ: Sylph
By Sylph.Siccmade 2012-01-23 07:49:17  
Ice MAcc is solid, Earth not so much because Slow basically will or wont land.

It really depends on how you play the job, capped Bio3 was invaluable for me over the years.
Was able to solo so much back in the day with help of the duration of that spell.

VW procs are important, so cant go wrong putting at least one into each Enfeeble.
 Odin.Almont
サーバ: Odin
user: Almont
By Odin.Almont 2012-01-23 08:02:53  
Carbuncle.Burkey said: »
i think convert recast is kinda negligible now what with abyssea/voidwatch

I wouldn't recommend basing merits off just one or two events, but to each his own.

For whatever it's worth I setup my RDM merits as follows:
8/8 Enfeebling/Elemental/Dark Magic skill
Tier I
3/5 Convert Recast
4/5 Ice Magic Acc (thnking Para II)
3/5 Earth Magic Acc (thinking Slow II)
Tier II
2/5 Dia III
5/5 Slow II
3/5 Para II
 Odin.Sheelay
user: Sheelay
By Odin.Sheelay 2012-01-23 08:08:04  
I went 5/5 Convert and Ice Acc, then 5/5 Slow II, 2/5 Para II and Phalanx II, 1/5 Blind II. I don't do VW as Rdm so..
By Drjones 2012-01-23 09:08:02  
5/5 Convert
5/5 Ice Accuracy

At least 1 in each of Slow II, Paralyze II and Dia III.

Do not merit Bio III. Seriously, don't.
 Asura.Mekaider
サーバ: Asura
user: Jynxy
By Asura.Mekaider 2012-01-23 09:10:46  
I don't mean to come across a *** here but when was the last time someone actually converted and the 5/5 merits allowed for recast to be there? It's possible to have something like 12 or 13 mp/tick refresh outside which imo greatly pushes the gap between 'verts. Only time i've really needed to is in VW after burning all my mp and temps on trying to proc then realising i was supposed to be healing :3
[+]
 Phoenix.Ninjie
サーバ: Phoenix
user: ninjie
By Phoenix.Ninjie 2012-01-23 09:24:36  
Asura.Mekaider said: »
I don't mean to come across a *** here but when was the last time someone actually converted and the 5/5 merits allowed for recast to be there? It's possible to have something like 12 or 13 mp/tick refresh outside which imo greatly pushes the gap between 'verts. Only time i've really needed to is in VW after burning all my mp and temps on trying to proc then realising i was supposed to be healing :3
I was thinking the same thing, but I didn't want to be the one to say it.
[+]
By Drjones 2012-01-23 09:38:59  
It'd be easier to make a case for not meriting Convert if our other Tier I merits were less terrible. Personally I try to operate by the rule of thumb that if I'm not running out of MP, I should probably be nuking more.

*shrug*
 Odin.Almont
user: Almont
By Odin.Almont 2012-01-23 10:10:23  
It's possible to have something like 12 or 13 mp/tick refresh outside which imo greatly pushes the gap between 'verts.

Okay, it's possible to have that much Refresh and not "need" Convert as often. What's your point? What would you rather put the T1 merits into?
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: Byrthnoth
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2012-01-23 10:27:08  
For your consideration:
http://wiki.bluegartr.com/bg/Bio_III
http://wiki.bluegartr.com/bg/Phalanx_II
 Garuda.Chanti
サーバ: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2012-01-23 10:43:18  
On my RDM alt:

5/5 Ice, 5/5 Wind (silence).

5/5 Para II, 4/5 Slow II, 1/5 Phalanx 2. Maybe 3 times a year I look at convert and it isn't up again.

IMHO Bio III is for soloing RDMs. Mind you its useful for them.
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2012-01-23 11:44:46  
If you use rdm for anything but solo you'll want Dia III instead. 30 second duration on 1 merit is really annoying so I prefer to have atleast 2 though it does nothing but help the duration. I'd also recommend focusing on slow over para since para is rarely going to land on most mobs of value anyway.

I haven't played rdm on anything of value in along time so I doubt my advice will be current but I have to agree with what some others here were saying. With all the refresh gear I have, I have a very hard time running out of mp. I don't think meriting convert is really worth it for the small difference in recast but honestly with nms how they are the mob is either easy to land debuffs on or is immune to them so magic acc isn't really all that useful either. I very rarely ever have to use my high accuracy set and nearly always cast in full potency. I used Ice and Wind for para silence and gravity when I played but that decision was made back at 75 cap and I never really felt the need to change it.

I wish my rdm was useful enough to warrant bringing it out again. My chapeau is getting dusty.
 Quetzalcoatl.Neisan
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
user: Nanashi14
By Quetzalcoatl.Neisan 2012-01-23 11:56:54  
Silence and gravity never land on anything of merit so wind merits are essentially worthless. I'll just keep convert merits, the only thing I would come close to considering is thunder magic accuracy for Stun/ThunderIV.

Current Merits due to VW:

2 Dia III
1 Slow II
1 Para II
4 Phalanx II
1 Blind II
1 Bio III

I could drop Phalanx II for more Dia, but then I'd get depressed knowing I have even less spells to help the pt with, no matter how minute others think it is.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2012-01-23 11:59:02  
Garuda.Chanti said: »
5/5 Wind (silence)
I can't think of a single NM that is both silenceable and resistant to silence, perhaps you could provide some elaboration here?

Honestly it's not necessarily about the value of Convert merits right now so much as it is the fact that all other options in that category are even less useful in that they don't help at all. It is possible and potentially beneficial to expend MP faster than a non-merited Convert will allow, but good luck getting any use out of macc merits nowadays.
 Sylph.Mesheef
user: Mesheef
By Sylph.Mesheef 2012-01-23 12:06:04  
you won't need phanax 2 if you /sch.

the first perk is phalanx 1 is stronger than 2.
second perk is /sch will make your rdm stronger. between light and dark arts, accession and manifestation you can do far more. not to mention mp cost in light/dark arts being reduced as well as half cast time/mp cost with sch ja's
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2012-01-23 12:08:51  
I primarily did wind because of dynamis(75) mobs casting annoying spells. Such as blm and rdm mobs and pets like scorps and crows and the crows being wind based made it more difficult to keep unresisted duration. Is it useful now? Probably not but neither is anything else. Rdm group 1 is lackluster with the current enfeeb system and how easy mp is to get and keep. I've changed my group 2 a few times but I've never felt the need to change 1.
 Asura.Isiolia
user: Isiolia
By Asura.Isiolia 2012-01-23 12:34:30  
Sylph.Mesheef said: »
you won't need phanax 2 if you /sch.

the first perk is phalanx 1 is stronger than 2.
second perk is /sch will make your rdm stronger. between light and dark arts, accession and manifestation you can do far more. not to mention mp cost in light/dark arts being reduced as well as half cast time/mp cost with sch ja's

There are some limits to it though. For example, if you're doing Salvage (which, yes, is old, but it'll be revamped sometime), you may have restrictions that favor main-job spells (needing subjob + JA on the first floor, where Phalanx is most useful, on top of ability to cast, means dumping a lot into the RDM off the bat).

Or, more generally, even if you are /SCH, not needing to reserve Strategems for Phalanx may be helpful.

Accession Phalanx is a great potential tool, but really so is Phalanx II, depending on the individual's typical RDM activities.

Most of my RDM merits are just left as they were from back when I actually used RDM more often. Cat1 is Ice 5 Convert 5, Cat2 is Phalanx 5 (from Salvage), Dia III 2, Paralyze II 2, and Slow II 1.
 Sylph.Siccmade
By Sylph.Siccmade 2012-01-23 16:14:13  
Drjones said: »
Do not merit Bio III. Seriously, don't.
If for w/e reason your play style doesn't deem it useful, its still a VW proc.
 Fenrir.Leoheart
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Leoheart
By Fenrir.Leoheart 2012-01-23 16:20:42  
Fenrir.Nightfyre said: »
Garuda.Chanti said: »
5/5 Wind (silence)
I can't think of a single NM that is both silenceable and resistant to silence, perhaps you could provide some elaboration here?

Brd nms lol, But yeah, lol >.>
 Carbuncle.Burkey
サーバ: Carbuncle
user: Burkey
By Carbuncle.Burkey 2012-01-23 16:29:48  
thanks all for the info~

for now i went:
4/5 ice
3/5 earth
3/5 wind
===
3/5 para II
2/5 slow II
2/5 dia III
1/5 phalanx II
1/5 bio III
1/5 blind II

my group2 is just to have all spells, but ill probably take off bio III and blind II and put into phalanx II and slow II or something

new job just looking to have fun. ill probably bring it to emp farming nms and such, will still need more practice to bust it out in salvage/voidwatch/ein/etc., until then ill just go whm :/
 Shiva.Bigslank
サーバ: Shiva
user: bigslank
By Shiva.Bigslank 2012-01-23 16:35:27  
i did earth 3 thunder 2 ice 5 cat 1
cat2 is all spells rest on para but this was at 75 capp havent changes since then but works for me atm
 Asura.Mekaider
user: Jynxy
By Asura.Mekaider 2012-01-26 08:50:40  
Odin.Almont said: »
It's possible to have something like 12 or 13 mp/tick refresh outside which imo greatly pushes the gap between 'verts.

Okay, it's possible to have that much Refresh and not "need" Convert as often. What's your point? What would you rather put the T1 merits into?

I don't remember exactly as i'm not logged in but i think i capped ice potency and dropped the rest in earth. For Paralyze2/Slow2 respectively.
 Quetzalcoatl.Neisan
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
user: Nanashi14
By Quetzalcoatl.Neisan 2012-01-26 09:18:25  
I can't think of anything that resists slow to the point earth macc merits are going to help at all. at 75 the only mob I remember that resisted slow2 was... Odin I think? and the land rate was like 30%ish or something like that. Either way macc merits weren't going to help you.

Agreed with the sentiment that convert merits are mostly unnecessary, however I find the rest of the category even more useless.
 Phoenix.Murphi
サーバ: Phoenix
user: Rinikins
By Phoenix.Murphi 2012-01-26 10:38:08  
Many things have changed since the level upgrade updates. Before the updates i had merited

Category 1
Ice 5/5
Wind 5/5

Paralyze and Gravity due to kiting... i thought gravity was way more important than slow at the moment cause most of the time slow landed anyways besides a few resists which you will get...id rather land gravity than slow in most cases for event nms such as kirin etc...... Now i might take 1 or 2 off and put it on earth for slow...since its very rare now we use gravity for anything anymore unless you are doing old events which most likely it will land more successful since enfeebling skill, int, and magic accuracy is legit. i honestly never bothered with convert recast...to me it was pointless and useless especially now with temp items and abyssea.

Category 2 is obviously changed since voidwatch has made new procs that i didnt even use merits on blind 2 and dia 3...if you plan on doing voidwatch wouldnt hurt to throw 1 on there now. They are proc spells now but thats up to you.

Yeah Dia III was ok for soloing since it lowered the defense but most likely you werent soloing as often.... so i put Bio III merit in instead since more events i felt reducing attack was a little more important where rdm can dispel many defense buffs. Either way its preference.

before update category 2 i had...

Slow II- -4
Paralyze II -4
Bio III-1
Phalanx II -1

now i just might take off 1 each of slow and para to throw on dia and blind to just have the spell in general for procs when needed.

But that is all just what ive done and my opinions on it so hope it helps :D